Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell to the Colts? (Article/Rumour)

BleedBlue4Shoe86

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well said.  The more I think about it and the more I read the comments here the more I am convinced we should trade for him.  Like you said it most likely will cost only a 3rd. or 4th. Rd. pick.  Nothing large like the Mack trade.  Well worth the risk and the money is clearly not an obstacle.   A great move that would invigorate a pedestrian offense.  I think we would be playoff bound with Bell. 

They will get a 3rd round comp pick for him if he leaves in free agency next year.   It will take more than a 3rd or a 4th

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There won't be many holes for Bell to run. Look at how James Conner and DeAngelo Williams have filled in for Bell the last few years. It tells me that the Steelers' OL is a bigger factor and Bell should have just taken the contract he got offered early on, he is not getting more any soon with any other team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

No way Steelers will trade him for a 3rd or 4th. Bell is not waiver material here. They will hold out for high picks

Some writers put him at 3rd or 4th to trade   If its higher......  I wouldnt do it

There are only 2-3 places where a team actually has cap space AND need

We are one of the 3.........     The market for Bell isnt going to be crazy

Also...... a trade keeps the Steelers from having to give up 10mil plus this year 

If he shows up by the 9th game, they have to pay 10mil THEN they would get the 3rd round compensation.... when he leaves via FA

A 3rd round PLUS 10Mil

vs 

A 3rd or 4th round, and the issue is behind you

The Steelers will probably take door number 2

• Like 2

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Some writers put him at 3rd or 4th to trade   If its higher......  I wouldnt do it

a third or 4th wont do it because of the comp pick, but a second might 

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think the big difference is he will agree to a contract with us ahead of time.  Then he signs the tag and is traded.  

How? Under an exclusive franchise tag, this is totally tampering and punishable.  Until he signs the tender, he's a FA that can't negotiate with any other team. That is how the 'prison tag' works. So how can a deal, or understanding be reached ahead of time? And if a team rescinds the exclusive franchise tag on a player, for any reason, that player is immediately free to sign with any other team, on his terms as an unrestricted free agent.

He knows if Pittsburg was going to sign him to a contract they would have done it by now.

He was offered a highly paid contract by the Steelers, he turned it down (against the advice of his agent, from what I've heard).

He knows he's done in Pittsburgh.  The amount of money he makes under the tag is significant.  And fully guaranteed I believe.  He runs the risk of getting injured either way.  With us he has a new contract waiting for him if he doesn't get injured.  With Pittsburg he has nothing waiting but uncertainty.  With the trade Pittsburg has at least a draft pick.  

You can't trade a free agent...  and until he signs the tender, that is what he is, a FA, but in 'prison'. (Used to be the Elway rule, then it has morphed... ask Superman how he feels about the 'Tag'. ) Now, once he shows up and signs the tender, then I believe the Steelers can trade him. But how many game swill that be? And any team could be in the running then.

It's a risk but injuries are always a risk.  Look at Jimmy G. today.  You never know.  It's just a matter of doing your best assessment at risk vs. reward and either going for it or passing.  

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

We are one of the original 3.  According to Dan Patrick today we were one of his two teams but he thinks the 49'ers will now drop out due to Jimmy G's injury.  He makes us the front runner.  

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

As I said in my post......  its a 3rd comp pick AND 10Mil

vs a 3rd or 4th and NO cash out

i still doubt they would take that, but i guess we will see.  they could also hold on to him and try and make a playoff run this year, pay him the 10 mil and then let him walk and get the comp pick.  i dont think the 10 million is a big deal, hes worth that on the field 

if they dont trade him he pretty much has to report to play 

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i still doubt they would take that, but i guess we will see.  they could also hold on to him and try and make a playoff run this year, pay him the 10 mil and then let him walk and get the comp pick.  i dont think the 10 million is a big deal, hes worth that on the field 

All true but don't underestimate the effect this is having on the locker room.  Even if he reports it most likely will be toxic.  They might be smart to move on quickly.

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Good article on HOW the trade could go down

SUPPOSEDLY Colts are one of 3

This writer likes the Jets to make the trade

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/LeVeon-Bell-trade-New-York-Jets-122438194/

Yea, I just saw that. Here's another one that says the Colts are supposedly interested. Make it happen Ballard!

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-jets/Article/LeVeon-Bell-Buccaneers-Colts-Jets-Pittsburgh-Steelers-trade-122413499/

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Good article on HOW the trade could go down

SUPPOSEDLY Colts are one of 3

This writer likes the Jets to make the trade

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/LeVeon-Bell-trade-New-York-Jets-122438194/

The author is incorrect saying another team could sign him to a long term deal now.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The author is incorrect saying another team could sign him to a long term deal now.   

yeah that makes this messy for everyone involved

if he flat out refuses to play under the tag then he will not get the accrued season and hit free agency.  he pretty much has to show up this year, even if its still in Pittsburgh.  the steelers could in theory tag him again too, but they wont given how this has played out 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I agree.  I don't think it is allowed via franchise tag rules. 

1. Pittsburgh has to agree upon just compensation for the trade.

2. Bell has to agree to the team that wants him. 

Bell signs tender, trade gets done, but under franchise tag pay. 

Now, negotiations begin on a contract for the following season.  But Bell is a FA once again. Does the new team franchise him also, if Bell wants outrageous money and a contract deal is not reached?

Someone will have to pony up the massive $$, and all the other owners will be mad at that one team in owners meetings for overpaying and resetting the market for a position known for not staying healthy and/or productive enough to earn huge long term pay (IE: Demarco Murray from Cowboys to Eagles, etc...)

We'll see how this plays out, and I wonder if Rooney is in secret communication with other owners, or if they can even do that?

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   will be interesting to see what a team has to give up.   A second would do I think

We got 2 this year but you saw what Ballard did with a 2nd with Leonard. IDK a trade would be nice but will it open up the offense? I think so, but I don't know. High risk, high reward type of situation.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   will be interesting to see what a team has to give up.   A second would do I think

The article said we are one of the teams interested in trading for him.  I thought that was interesting.  We do have an extra second if Ballard feels so inclined.  Maybe we give up a second for Bell and also get another lower pick back?  They might really want that second. 

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I would humbly disagree

1) Get approval from Steelers to talk to Leveon 

2) Set numbers for contract

3) Leveon signs tender

4) Steelers trade Leveon to Colts (or other team)

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

No he doesn't he can holdout however long he wants it was the same deal with the texans tackle last year he did the same stuff until he got traded

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would humbly disagree

1) Get approval from Steelers to talk to Leveon 

2) Set numbers for contract

3) Leveon signs tender

4) Steelers trade Leveon to Colts (or other team)

he has to play under the tag this year even if traded.  they could talk about a contract, but not sign it until next year

there is risk for both sides that he gets hurt this year and everything breaks down 

Just now, Indy1996 said:

No he doesn't he can holdout however long he wants it was the same deal with the texans tackle last year he did the same stuff until he got traded

If he doesn't show up by week 10, he doesn't get an accrued season.   Then the Steelers can tag him again next year

• Like 1

Just now, Indy1996 said:

if he does that then he would have to play under the same franchise tag next year, which would not help him any

Im not sure how bell would look behind our young line that is improving but man oh man do we need a running threat inside the red zone.   I know turbin is good on the goal line but im talking someone that can take it to the house from the 20.....just him being on the field keeps that defense honest.  Ive been ahainst bringing him in but i have slowly turned.

9 minutes ago, Jbatc18 said:

Im not sure how bell would look behind our young line that is improving but man oh man do we need a running threat inside the red zone.   I know turbin is good on the goal line but im talking someone that can take it to the house from the 20.....just him being on the field keeps that defense honest.  Ive been ahainst bringing him in but i have slowly turned.

IMHO, he is more of a threat to catch the ball in this offense

The defense would have to account for both him and TY 

He is a reliable and dynamic option on 3rd downs that we dont have today

This action would free up our TEs and other WRs for one on one coverage

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I humbly disagree

If both parties agree to cancel contract, the contract can be canceled and replaced

No it can't.   Not on the franchise tag.  The deadline has passed.  It passed in July

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/07/15/nfl-franchise-tag-contract-deadline-leveon-bell-demarcus-lawrence/783174002/

Just now, Smoke317 said:

I'd give them a 5th or a 6th.  Some kind of trade similar to what the Pats gave the Browns for Gordon.  Not going any higher for a guy that we can sign as a free agent next year anyway...  But we sure could use him in this offense.

They won't trade him for that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Or give them a 4th but they have to give us a 5th or 6th in return since technically he'd only be a 1 year rental who would be free to sign anywhere next year.

If Pittsburgh doesn't trade him, they'll certainly get a compensatory pick in 2020 equal to at least a 3rd round pick, so the baseline offer would need to exceed that

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No it can't.   Not on the franchise tag.  The deadline has passed.  It passed in July

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/07/15/nfl-franchise-tag-contract-deadline-leveon-bell-demarcus-lawrence/783174002/

I couldnt find the point you were trying to make in this article

I did find this from the Washington Post, which seems to support my thoughts

"A franchise-tagged player can be traded and teams can work out any compensation they like; they can deviate from the two first-round draft picks that a franchise-tagged player's new team must give to his previous team if the player is signed to an offer sheet not matched by his previous team.Feb 20, 2018"

"A franchise-tagged player can be traded and teams can work out any compensation they like; they can deviate from the two first-round draft picks that a franchise-tagged player's new team must give to his previous team if the player is signed to an offer sheet not matched by his previous team.Feb 20, 2018"

Not after the July deadline.   They can be traded and a new deal done if its before the deadline.   Says it plain as day in the article I posted

"For NFL players still on the franchise tag, Monday represents the last opportunity to secure some long-term security before the season."

5 minutes ago, ColtV said:

If Pittsburgh doesn't trade him, they'll certainly get a compensatory pick in 2020 equal to at least a 3rd round pick, so the baseline offer would need to exceed that

Dont forget the  Plus 10Mil that the Steelers will have to cough up, if they wait

That IS worth something here

AND...... maybe as much as important......  A compensation pick comes at the END of the round

A TRADED pick is where the team will draft

We all agree the Colts THIS year, will probably be picking mid round

A trade with the Colts (if they are middle) would get a pick, in the 3rd round, 15 or so picks earlier........   Thats more valuable

Not the same

he can be traded now but he has to play for the tag salary this year.  he cant sign a new contract until next year.

that quote is talking about the trade compensation to the steelers

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not after the July deadline.   They can be traded and a new deal done if its before the deadline.   Says it plain as day in the article I posted

"For NFL players still on the franchise tag, Monday represents the last opportunity to secure some long-term security before the season."

Also from Washington Post

Teams can only use the franchise tag once every off-season, and it only guarantees a player's salary for the following year. A player can be tagged up to three times by their team. Teams are also allowed to rescind the franchise or transition tag, allowing that player to become a free agent.  Article written - Feb 15, 2018

I am definitely NOT an NFL contracts person........   So if I am wrong, I am wrong

(Wont be first time..... Wont be last)

What we do have is a franchise QB that has ONE THIRD of his career completed already........ With the team playing much better this year than I expected, and a true need there.......  AND..... because it wont cost true draft capitol........

Why not?

As you can see in my posts..... if he is an *, I dont want him......

But this team COULD use him THIS year

(Again..... if I am not proven about the whole trade thing...)