Bell to the Colts? (Article/Rumour)

BleedBlue4Shoe86

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Also from Washington Post

Teams can only use the franchise tag once every off-season, and it only guarantees a player's salary for the following year. A player can be tagged up to three times by their team. Teams are also allowed to rescind the franchise or transition tag, allowing that player to become a free agent.  Article written - Feb 15, 2018

My goodness dude.  Look up the July tag deadline.   He can't get a new contract until the season is over

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/13/17536782/nfl-franchise-tag-july-2018-deadline-extension-leveon-bell-ezekiel-ansah

10 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

My goodness dude.  Look up the July tag deadline.   He can't get a new contract until the season is over

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/13/17536782/nfl-franchise-tag-july-2018-deadline-extension-leveon-bell-ezekiel-ansah

So what would it take for him to show up for the Steelers? Could they promise him the contract? IDK, but it seems like Bell is done in Pitt.

1 minute ago, DraftMaster said:

So what would it take for him to show up for the Steelers? Could they promise him the contract? IDK, but it seems like Bell is done in Pitt.

I agree with that.   I also think he will get traded.   He just won't be able to sign a new contract this year. 

Just now, DraftMaster said:

So what would it take for him to show up for the Steelers? Could they promise him the contract?

they can, but it would not be official or anything.  if he gets hurt or something then bets are off

a team like the colts would need the steelers permission to talk to bell about a contract but they would probably give it in this situation 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If " Schefty" says they're now taking offers I expect this trade to happen this week.  

I just saw this. I'll be curious to see what transpires but I doubt we land him

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

But the new contract can't be signed this year

no, but i think they can sign an agreement to a contract.

33 minutes ago, ColtV said:

If Pittsburgh doesn't trade him, they'll certainly get a compensatory pick in 2020 equal to at least a 3rd round pick, so the baseline offer would need to exceed that

I don't think they give 1st or 2nd round comp picks. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I just saw this. I'll be curious to see what transpires but I doubt we land him

no, but i think they can sign an agreement to a contract.

I don't think they give 1st or 2nd round comp picks. 

Maybe they could sign an agreement,  but it wouldn't mean anything.   If he tears his ACL no team is going to give him anywhere close to what he is asking for

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Maybe they could sign an agreement,  but it wouldn't mean anything.   If he tears his ACL no team is going to give him anywhere close to what he is asking for

yep. That's why I don't see any team really giving a 2 for him, unless its conditional.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I agree with that.   I also think he will get traded.   He just won't be able to sign a new contract this year. 

To where?

Odds:

PIT +150
IND/GB +500
TEN/HOU +600
SF/DAL +700
NYJ/SEA +800
WSH +800
ARI/TB +1000
CLE +1000
Field +800

When is the 2018 trade deadline?

20 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Something I've heard was the Steelers could offer to pay him his salary of all the games he sets out.

2 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

But they like James Conner. Add on a 7th instead. Remember they save over 10 million in cap space dealing Bell, so that's more incentive to deal him. 

As has been stated, that $10m doesn't mean anything to the Steelers right now. Who would they spend it on?

The divided locker room is more of the reason to go ahead and move him.

Mack would be good complement to Conner as well.

If you're gonna do it, do it now and get nearly a full season out of him at 26.  

Hard to predict how long an NFL runner will last, but if you can get 5-6 good seasons, go for it. 

A huge positive in his favor - it seems he would actually like to be a Colt, as opposed to all the free agents and the head coach who turned Balllard down over the past two years.

• Like 1

Other odds coming from oddshark:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2797375-leveon-bell-odds-steelers-colts-favored-as-landing-spots-after-trade-deadline

Steelers -220

Colts +400

Jets +550

Browns +600

Texans +700 

So the Colts are the highest favored team besides the Steelers to have Bell before the deadline right now.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Looks like the Jets have already reached out.

Wow, let's hope we do the same...

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If " Schefty" says they're now taking offers I expect this trade to happen this week.  

Maybe, but I fail to see the reason the Steelers are time pressed into getting a deal done.  It cost them no money right now (yes, they even get the cap space back as well each week!) and they can't cash in a draft pick until next year.

4 hours ago, Indy1996 said:

No he doesn't he can holdout however long he wants it was the same deal with the texans tackle last year he did the same stuff until he got traded

If he holds out past week 10, he cannot return this year and he does not get an accrued season.  Steelers could then be vindictive and put the Exclusive Franchise tag on him again then @120% next year.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If he doesn't show up by week 10, he doesn't get an accrued season.   Then the Steelers can tag him again next year

Nor play this year.

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I humbly disagree

If both parties agree to cancel contract, the contract can be canceled and replaced

Like all other NFL rules, the Franchise Tags,  rules and deadlines are there for a reason.  Teams just can't arbitrarily and mutually agree to trash/disregard them. As pointed out, the July 15 2018 deadline passed, and the tag/contract (what's left of it) tender is frozen.

3 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I'd give them a 5th or a 6th.  Some kind of trade similar to what the Pats gave the Browns for Gordon.  Not going any higher for a guy that we can sign as a free agent next year anyway...  But we sure could use him in this offense.

Steelers have no incentive to just  'unload him'.  Each week that Bell doesn't sign the tender and misses games, the Steelers save about $855,000 in both cash and cap space.  Bell has to show up for week 10, or he can be exclusive tagged again at 120% pay (14.5 million), not the 140% the usual 3 tags cost.

Or, the Steelers can non exclusive franchise tag him next year, let other teams negotiate/set the value.  Then they can match and keep him if desired. But as bad as this seems tpo b e going, I doubt they want to do that.

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

Other odds coming from oddshark:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2797375-leveon-bell-odds-steelers-colts-favored-as-landing-spots-after-trade-deadline

Steelers -220

Colts +400

Jets +550

Browns +600

Texans +700 

So the Colts are the highest favored team besides the Steelers to have Bell before the deadline right now.

Wow, let's hope we do the same...

Shefty has already reported we are one of the teams that has already reached out to the Steelers.  I can see Ballard talking with them but I don't see him doing a trade.  I hope I'm wrong but so far Ballard has been all talk and no action on any major FA signings or reported trade talks.  He thought the price for Mack was to high but the Bears are in 1st. place and Mack is balling.  The price for Bell is very affordable for the Colts.  No excuses IMO.  Bell is the missing piece to our offense and helps us get into the playoffs and therefore makes us SB contenders.   Winners who knows but contenders for sure.  Let's get into the tournament. 

If we trade a 4th round pick or lower to get him and re-sign him to a long term deal, I'm fine with it. Anything else, and we are probably getting ripped off. I already can't stand his attitude, and it can rub off the wrong way on such a young locker room. This is a high character locker room, and I would hate for it to be contaminated by Leveon Bell if he is going to act this way. 

46 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

BTW I just realized the Jets don't have a second rounder. So a second would definitely get it done IMO.

The Jets don't have their second rounder because the Colts OWN the Jets 2nd rounder.

It's part of the trade back we made with the Jets in April.   Remember our trade back from 3 to 6. We got three 2nd round picks.    The Jets 2019 2nd rounder is the last part of the payoff.

• Like 1