Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell to the Colts? (Article/Rumour)

BleedBlue4Shoe86

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

2 years ago when Le’Veon Bell was suspended, Deangelo Williams led the league in rushing during his absence. Now Connor is doing the same. Maybe he’s just a system running back. 

I was sort of thinking this too.  It seems like any back that the Steelers start puts up huge numbers.  

I have no idea why they would give him so much money.  

17 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He knows he's not getting that kind of money, here or elsewhere. I honestly think he just really wants out of Pittsburgh, especially after being franchise tagged 2 years in a row, so he's using the only leverage he really has: demand an outlandish sum of money. They don't pay him, he sits & stays healthy all season & secures a long-term deal elsewhere, or they cave & give him a massive new deal. He wins either way.

IDK.  The Steelers are paying him 14M now, but only for a year.  Gurley got a 14M a year contract.  

Now I will log my opinion that those are both terrible ideas.  But I would not be surprised if the Steelers or someone is willing to give him what he's asking for.

Bell is losing out on almost $900K per game he sits out.  Honestly, I question his mental capacity, given the recent history of what kind of terms aging used RBs sign for.  Ergo, if he indeed sits out half the year, he will have given up an entire year of nearly top dog money.  Pretty difficult to think he can make that up in a three year deal that miiiight come his way next year.

He seems like a “me” player with questionable personality.  I say pass.

• Like 2

The more this committee approach to the RB spot works out in our favor the less likely it is we are even remotely interested in Bell. Ballard wants balance. We’ve got a top 10QB that we’re always going to be paying top 10 money to. Doing the same with an RB is counterintuitive to that quest for balance. 

Ballard has proven to be someone who can scout RBs and find solid players to come in and contribute. (Remember, he targeted Kareem Hunt in the draft last year, and Kansas City picked him based on the work Ballard did on him prior to leaving.) They may not be top fantasy stars, or hell, they may not even be players you can put on your fantasy roster, but they will produce in our offense in their role without breaking the bank and making balance a tightrope trick. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The more this committee approach to the RB spot works out in our favor the less likely it is we are even remotely interested in Bell. Ballard wants balance. We’ve got a top 10QB that we’re always going to be paying top 10 money to. Doing the same with an RB is counterintuitive to that quest for balance. 

Ballard has proven to be someone who can scout RBs and find solid players to come in and contribute. (Remember, he targeted Kareem Hunt in the draft last year, and Kansas City picked him based on the work Ballard did on him prior to leaving.) They may not be top fantasy stars, or hell, they may not even be players you can put on your fantasy roster, but they will produce in our offense in their role without breaking the bank and making balance a tightrope trick. 

The RB by committee approach is okay if that's all you've got.  But I would think Ballard would be wanting to add some playmakers on offense that teams actually have to game plan for besides TY.   You have a top QB give the man some real weapons in his arsenal.  The money issue is a moot point.  Ballard has already shown he's frugal and won't spend it unless he finds a player that he wants.  Bell might or might not be the guy.  We'll see.  He wants a balanced team on the field.  And he's not balancing it with money.   And we have plenty of it.  It's all about expected production. 

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

6th round picks are a long shot, the colts have only really hit on two of them since moving to indy- bethea and cato june.  mcafee is our only 7th rounder that ever did anything 

I thought the original discussion was about 2nd round picks not specifically 6th round.  Also, you have forgotten, Sorgi, Garcon and Charlie Johnson.

Additionally the past doesn't really matter, it is can Ballard find gems in the later rounds.  And that has yet to be determined.  But evidence from this year is pointing to he can definitely find talented players in all rounds.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I thought the original discussion was about 2nd round picks not specifically 6th round.  Also, you have forgotten, Sorgi, Garcon and Charlie Johnson.

Additionally the past doesn't really matter, it is can Ballard find gems in the later rounds.  And that has yet to be determined.  But evidence from this year is pointing to he can definitely find talented players in all rounds.

sorgi never actually did anything and garcon left the moment he hit free agency.  garcons best years were all for other teams and colts didnt think he was worth signing. i dont see that as a win for us 

the draft was different in Johnson's era too, different number of rounds and teams than we have now 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

sorgi never actually did anything and garcon left the moment he hit free agency.  garcons best years were all for other teams, colts didnt think he was worth signing. i dont see that as a win for us 

the draft was different in Johnson's era too, different number of rounds and teams than we have now 

Garcon had some good years with the Redskins, but they were not that much better than they were with the Colts considering he was drafted by the Colts, one year he did have over 100 catches.  Johnson was drafted in 2006, same number of rounds and teams were the same.

39 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The RB by committee approach is okay if that's all you've got.  But I would think Ballard would be wanting to add some playmakers on offense that teams actually have to game plan for besides TY.   You have a top QB give the man some real weapons in his arsenal.  The money issue is a moot point.  Ballard has already shown he's frugal and won't spend it unless he finds a player that he wants.  Bell might or might not be the guy.  We'll see.  He wants a balanced team on the field.  And he's not balancing it with money.   And we have plenty of it.  It's all about expected production. 

As the offensive line gets better the committee is going to get better. Teams are going to have to plan for 3 players instead of 1. 

Even though the line is better this year than in years past there’s still plenty of room for improvement. 

I’d say Ballard’s potential interest in Bell is a hard 0. 

10 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Garcon had some good years with the Redskins, but they were not that much better than they were with the Colts considering he was drafted by the Colts, one year he did have over 100 catches.  Johnson was drafted in 2006, same number of rounds and teams were the same.

yeah i made a mistake with Johnson there.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’d say Ballard’s potential interest in Bell is a hard 0. 

I would agree that it is low, but not quite at 0 yet.   Too many unknowns.  

We have lots of money to spend.

If we continue to improve this season (win 9 or 10 games).  

If the running game is not a strength.

I can see us making a run at Bell.   I don't think it is likely.   I think Mack or Wilkens shines.  

LOL at Sorgi being used as a late round success.  

If signing Bell is possible, I think you have to really think about it. If he wants a long term deal with huge money, then no. If he wants huge money and will take less term, I would go for it. Winning the Super Bowl is all that matters.

If we significantly improve our offense with Bell, why not go for it on a short term deal? He could be the answer to our pass blocking issues from the RB position and the answer to our screen pass success. Plus he can flat out frustrate opponents with his patient running style.

Short term - Yes. Long term - No.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

As much as Kelvin Benjamin might be maligned for throwing Cam Newton under the bus, if he becomes a free agent, I'd take a stab at him. I have a feeling he might want to get away from Buffalo after this season. 

Speaking of Free Agency, who can't wait to see the Jags end up in a problem with their cap space in 2020 or 2021?

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

sorgi never actually did anything and garcon left the moment he hit free agency.  garcons best years were all for other teams and colts didnt think he was worth signing. i dont see that as a win for us 

Garcon may not have been a long-term win for the Colts, but your point was that the Colts have only hit on 2 players in the 6th round.  Garcon was a talented player that the Colts scouted and drafted in the same round so that's another hit in terms of finding talent in the 6th round.  

Just now, J@son said:

Garcon may not have been a long-term win for the Colts, but your point was that the Colts have only hit on 2 players in the 6th round.  Garcon was a talented player that the Colts scouted and drafted in the same round so that's another hit in terms of finding talent in the 6th round.  

you can look at that way if you want,  but its not a hit imo.  they didnt seem to try very hard to sign him 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

you can look at that way if you want,  but its not a hit imo.  they didnt seem to try very hard to sign him 

You have no idea how hard they tried to sign him.    The redskins gave him a pretty big contract.   The colts couldn't have gave him the same. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

the point that you made was that the Colts couldn't find talent in the 6th round.  That was your point.  Garcon is a talented player.  He has had, so far, a long and productive career.  The Colts found him.  In the 6th round.  Whether or not he was a "hit" for the Colts is another discussion.  This discussion was about the Colts finding talent in round 6.

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

If that is true...then Ballard goofed big time with the Basham pick.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

If that is true...then Ballard goofed big time with the Basham pick.

KC scouting has preferred later round WRs, TEs and RBs (Day 2 at least where Kelce and Hunt were selected), it seems like, if the Chiefs' skill position player draft picks recently show us anything. 

Pass rush - only time will tell since KC's picks for their 3-4 will have no bearing on what Ballard does for the 4-3.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

As much as Kelvin Benjamin might be maligned for throwing Cam Newton under the bus, if he becomes a free agent, I'd take a stab at him. I have a feeling he might want to get away from Buffalo after this season. 

Should be looking at all potential options. It's not a particularly strong group of FA WRs...so Benjamin could be a good buy-low.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

KC scouting has preferred later round WRs, TEs and RBs (Day 2 at least where Kelce and Hunt were selected), it seems like, if the Chiefs' skill position player draft picks recently show us anything. 

Pass rush - only time will tell since KC's picks for their 3-4 will have no bearing on what Ballard does for the 4-3.

I think Day 2 is the day to get skill position talent (RBs, WRs, TEs)...as KC and other teams have shown. You can definitely find players later...but it's rare...and shouldn't be your entire base of players.

If Ballard was truly targeting and scouting Hunt...he should have pulled the trigger.

1 hour ago, DraftMaster said:

Speaking of Free Agency, who can't wait to see the Jags end up in a problem with their cap space in 2020 or 2021?

2019... Not counting the roll over from this year, they're sitting at a NEGATIVE 10 mil plus at the start of the the FA period in 2019, with only 39 players under contract for next season, assuming no major moves. if they roll all 14 million over, assuming they dont have to spend any the remainder of this season, they'll be just 3 mil to the good but only with 39 players under contract.  They have several starters coming up on new contract time.  Expect a lot of cuts and restructures this season and spring for Jax.

JAX CAP.PNG

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

2019... Not counting the roll over from this year, they're sitting at a NEGATIVE 10 mil plus at the start of the the FA period in 2019, with only 39 players under contract for next season, assuming no major moves. if they roll all 14 million over, assuming they dont have to spend any the remainder of this season, they'll be just 3 mil to the good but only with 39 players under contract.  They have several starters coming up on new contract time.  Expect a lot of cuts and restructures this season and spring for Jax.

JAX CAP.PNG

Can't wait :thmup: 

Initially.......  I have to admit, the first time I saw this thread, I thought that this was another, of the endless, "Go get player "XXXX XXXXXXX" threads that we see constantly  

I have to say.........  I am very much warming up to actually doing a reasonable deal for Bell

Right now, He can get half of the franchise money if he shows up by week 10 (If I read this right)

The Steelers will have to pony up over 20Mil to Franchise him next year (If I read this right) without a long term deal........  They wont do it...... He will be a complete FA before next year starts........ If it goes that route..... the Steelers get NADA in trade.....

The Steelers offered 14 mil,  Bell wants 17 mil

IF...... (A BIG IF) we could sign him to $15.5 mil and guarantee 3 years of a larger deal...... It might be worth a trade........   I would offer next years 3rd round pick

The guy is only 26 Years old......  He has been very healthy

He has been ALL Pro 2 times, And pro bowl 3 times

He catches the ball like almost no other..... he hast to be accounted for on EVERY play....

He pass blocks when asked almost better than anyone in the league 

I read where he has given up only a TOTAL of three pressures.......

(Zeke Elliott is the king)

He would seem to be an almost perfect fit

He would immediately step up this team's offense........  

We could actually make a playoff run THIS YEAR....... with Bell wearing the shoe.......

This guy is an almost equal game changer to K. Mack, who many wanted to give up 2 first round picks for...........  I think he can be had for MUCH less

AND..... take some pressure off of Luck

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i was talking about "hits" though

i said that in my first post to CD :)

well, "hits" could mean multiple things. The way I read your initial post on the discussion, it sounded like you were saying they couldn't find talent in the 6th round.  I think the definition of "hits" changed along the way during the course of the conversation lol.  :)

10 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Initially.......  I have to admit, the first time I saw this thread, I thought that this was another, of the endless, "Go get player "XXXX XXXXXXX" threads that we see constantly  

I have to say.........  I am very much warming up to actually doing a reasonable deal for Bell

Right now, He can get half of the franchise money if he shows up by week 10 (If I read this right)

The Steelers will have to pony up over 20Mil to Franchise him next year (If I read this right) without a long term deal........  They wont do it...... He will be a complete FA before next year starts........ If it goes that route..... the Steelers get NADA in trade.....

The Steelers offered 14 mil,  Bell wants 17 mil

IF...... (A BIG IF) we could sign him to $15.5 mil and guarantee 3 years of a larger deal...... It might be worth a trade........   I would offer next years 3rd round pick

The guy is only 26 Years old......  He has been very healthy

He has been ALL Pro 2 times, And pro bowl 3 times

He catches the ball like almost no other..... he hast to be accounted for on EVERY play....

He pass blocks when asked almost better than anyone in the league 

I read where he has given up only a TOTAL of three pressures.......

(Zeke Elliott is the king)

He would seem to be an almost perfect fit

He would immediately step up this team's offense........  

We could actually make a playoff run THIS YEAR....... with Bell wearing the shoe.......

Very astute observations and I agree.   I don't believe money is an issue for the Colts.  They're just waiting for the Steelers light bulb to go on.  That's when they will finally realize he is not coming in until the last possible moment so they might as well trade him now.  Kaboom!  Ballard gets his offensive playmaker and the Colts are a contender this year.  And Bell gets his wish and plays for the Colts.  How great is that?

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Very astute observations and I agree.   I don't believe money is an issue for the Colts.  They're just waiting for the Steelers light bulb to go on.  That's when they will finally realize he is not coming in until the last possible moment so they might as well trade him now.  Kaboom!  Ballard gets his offensive playmaker and the Colts are a contender this year.  And Bell gets his wish and plays for the Colts.  How great is that?

If we "overpay" by 3 Mil......  SO WHAT......  We arent in CAP hell.... it would only be for 3 years....

I am sure Ballard has been reading my posts, and will IMMEDIATLEY make a trade happen......  :)

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

JAX CAP.PNG

They are ALL IN on this year, & I gotta be honest, after the way they looked against New England on Sunday, it just might work. It's shortsighted, sure, but it seems like they're willing to live with that.