Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell to the Colts? (Article/Rumour)


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

With Burkhead on IR, and only the rookie Sony Michel with James White backing him up, I bet the Patriots pony up a 3 year deal for LeVeon Bell, all guaranteed at $45 mil. :( 

 

In return, they will give the Steelers a 3rd and a 5th/6th or something like that.

 

This is the Patriots' set of picks next year:

 

 

■ First round

■ Second round

■ Second round (from CHI)

■ Third round (from DET)

■ Third (compensatory*)

■ Third (compensatory*)

■ Fourth round

■ Fifth round

■ Sixth round (compensatory*)

■ Seventh round

■ Seventh round (from PHI)

■ Seventh round (compensatory*)

 

 

I think the odds of that happening are between none and no way in hell.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

This is more like what we need.

 

 

#Sign Ajayi Colts 2019

 

I don't want Ajayi at all, nice guy, great running back, bone on bone in his previously injured right knee.....  will blow up on him sooner or later, and he'll be done, just like that.....

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would Bell come play for us for the exact same contract that he WON'T play for Pittsburgh. We can not sign him to a long term contract this year. He would have to sign after the season....so basically he could leave for nothing but whatever compensatory pick we get for him (maybe nothing if the guys we sign outweigh the points we get for losing him). He won't play until week 11 or whatever it is he has to report to have his season count. We would only get him for a few games even if we traded for him. We can't offer and sign him to a long term deal so he has no more incentive to play for us then he does with the Steelers. He will be a free agent this offseason....if we want that type of player on our team then....well so be it....but he is basically untradeable right now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EvanPaulSmith said:

The Colts have 51 Million in cap space left this year, who else,.... are they going to pay?

They could easily front load his contract this year with no drawback, and have him signed until he is 31, 

a 5 year deal for.... 80 million. 
40 gauranteed. 

as far as compensation for Pittsburgh,

Send a gaggle of picks like usual. 2nd in 19 and a 3rd in 20. 

ink it so we can make the playoffs this year. 

The guy is 26 years old, wear on his tires?

regardless of how you view him he is the 2nd best running back in the nfl over the past 3 years. 

a Proven commodity in his prime. 

I also do not understand why colts fans would not want a guy who can help the team win, also likes the colts to come here to win. 

If we actually signed him I'd warm up to him pretty quick.  I just don't think it's something Ballard would do.  I also think there are other cheaper yet still effective options out there...such as Ajayi in free agency next off season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why would Bell come play for us for the exact same contract that he WON'T play for Pittsburgh. We can not sign him to a long term contract this year. He would have to sign after the season....so basically he could leave for nothing but whatever compensatory pick we get for him (maybe nothing if the guys we sign outweigh the points we get for losing him). He won't play until week 11 or whatever it is he has to report to have his season count. We would only get him for a few games even if we traded for him. We can't offer and sign him to a long term deal so he has no more incentive to play for us then he does with the Steelers. He will be a free agent this offseason....if we want that type of player on our team then....well so be it....but he is basically untradeable right now.

Exactly

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I don't want Ajayi at all, nice guy, great running back, bone on bone in his previously injured right knee.....  will blow up on him sooner or later, and he'll be done, just like that.....

I'm not that concerned over his knee.  He tore his ACL in 2011 during his freshman year at Boise State and yet he is still going strong on it.  The Eagles obviously weren't concerned enough to not trade for him.   Injury is a risk with any running back really.  Bell could cut wrong and blow an ACL and all those millions and a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick go flying out the window.  Can't predict these things or operate in fear because of injuries that may or may not happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is something to think about and take it with a grain of salt.  Bell really has a lot of leverage here.  He can really choose where he wants to play from any of the offers that are presented to the Steelers.  No trade can happen unless he signs the tag.  And if they present to him a trade to a team he doesn't want to go to he doesn't sign it.  By all of his tweeting remarks he has his eye on the Colts.  His agent has been reportedly talking to other teams.  He already could have worked out a long term deal with the Colts who knows.  Of course he can't sign it until the season is over.  But what about the compensation for Pittsburgh?  Bell is willing to sit out to save his body for his new team.  Of course the money he loses by sitting out is made up in his new contract.  Each week that goes by the compensation starts to drop along with Pittsburghs patience.  The Colts don't really want to give up a high pick if they can avoid it.   In fact they could have already offered a third round pick, for example,  and the Steelers are holding out for a higher pick.  Eventually the Steelers will say enough is enough and take the Colts offer and Bell signs the tag and is traded to the Colts.  I think, and I could be wrong but, these kind of wink wink nod nod deals happen a lot in the NFL.  This Bell situation is pretty ripe for something like this to go down.  I know it's crazy but it's a theory and it's fun to get out of the box once in awhile. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chad72 said:

With Burkhead on IR, and only the rookie Sony Michel with James White backing him up, I bet the Patriots pony up a 3 year deal for LeVeon Bell, all guaranteed at $45 mil. :( 

 

In return, they will give the Steelers a 3rd and a 5th/6th or something like that.

 

This is the Patriots' set of picks next year:

 

 

■ First round

■ Second round

■ Second round (from CHI)

■ Third round (from DET)

■ Third (compensatory*)

■ Third (compensatory*)

■ Fourth round

■ Fifth round

■ Sixth round (compensatory*)

■ Seventh round

■ Seventh round (from PHI)

■ Seventh round (compensatory*)

 

Why would the Pats dump their 1st rd rb Sony Michel so quick?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

Why would the Pats dump their 1st rd rb Sony Michel so quick?

Better yet why would Steelers trade him to NE. They probably prefer to trade him to NFC, definitely not one of their biggest obstacles to get out of the East for sure.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, w87r said:

Better yet why would Steelers trade him to NE. They probably prefer to trade him to NFC, definitely not one of their biggest obstacles to get out of the East for sure.

You mean the AFC but I get your point: The Steelers aren't trading Bell to NE.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So we are talking about arguably the best back in the NFL, who wants to play for our team...

A player like that comes along every few years. the chances of any team hitting on a player like that in the draft with any pic is low. 

Mark these words, the colts not making a legitimate deal with Pittsburgh to rescind the tag and have a deal to move Bell here for 5 years will be a regret. a major one.

The colts do not need a physical pounding RB. 

agility, speed and TALENT get you more yards and more years playing than being an ogre. 

A long term deal that will satisfy Bell, the Steelers and be low risk for the colts is easier than people think. 

I am tired of colts fans being appeased with mediocrity at skill positions when there is a difference maker wanting to be here. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EvanPaulSmith said:

So we are talking about arguably the best back in the NFL, who wants to play for our team...

A player like that comes along every few years. the chances of any team hitting on a player like that in the draft with any pic is low. 

Mark these words, the colts not making a legitimate deal with Pittsburgh to rescind the tag and have a deal to move Bell here for 5 years will be a regret. a major one.

The colts do not need a physical pounding RB. 

agility, speed and TALENT get you more yards and more years playing than being an ogre. 

A long term deal that will satisfy Bell, the Steelers and be low risk for the colts is easier than people think. 

I am tired of colts fans being appeased with mediocrity at skill positions when there is a difference maker wanting to be here. 

 

 

The only issue I really take with trading for him is that he's missed the entire offseason, doesn't know our offense, & likely wouldn't be up to speed & in game shape until after our bye week, at the earliest. And that's assuming we acquired this week or next. The longer it takes, the more that timeline gets pushed back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the perfect opportunity to test a hypothesis on whether an elite RB makes us substantially better.  You take a low risk 1 year rental and learn from it over this year.  If it is true then you pay him the money and if it turns out false you move on.  Much better than signing to a long term high dollar contract that doesn't make you a substantially better team.  This is a no brainer to me depending on the Draft stock needed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EvanPaulSmith said:

So we are talking about arguably the best back in the NFL, who wants to play for our team...

A player like that comes along every few years. the chances of any team hitting on a player like that in the draft with any pic is low. 

Mark these words, the colts not making a legitimate deal with Pittsburgh to rescind the tag and have a deal to move Bell here for 5 years will be a regret. a major one.

The colts do not need a physical pounding RB. 

agility, speed and TALENT get you more yards and more years playing than being an ogre. 

A long term deal that will satisfy Bell, the Steelers and be low risk for the colts is easier than people think. 

I am tired of colts fans being appeased with mediocrity at skill positions when there is a difference maker wanting to be here. 

 

He can't get a new deal this year.   Not by anyone.   It's been covered many times

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He can't get a new deal this year.   Not by anyone.   It's been covered many times

And that being said, it is being widely speculated that Bell won't report until, what is it, week 10?, so that he can play the minimum amount of games while accruing credit for a season. 

 

Thus, being forced to play under the one year tag no matter where he ends up, why would his report day change if he's traded to some other team?  I would guess that his reporting date would not change, no matter who he might be traded to, for the underlying issue remains ... he doesn't want to play under a one-year tag.

 

Given that if he's not traded and eventually reports, then next year it's likely the Steelers will slap the transition tag on him, allowing him to go out next year and get the best deal he can find, and then the Steelers have the option of either agreeing to that contract price to retain Bell, or instead just opting to let him go.  So my questions are ... 

 

1. If they transition tag him next year and then don't match whatever contract Bell works out with some other team, do the Steelers receiver a compensatory pick for him, the following year?

 

2. If a team DOES trade for him this season, is that team able to slap a transition tag on him after this season, giving them the option of matching or letting him go (potentially for a compensatory pick)?

 

If the Steelers can get a compensatory pick if they transition him after this year and then opt not to match the contract offer Bell finds, then the Steelers will most certainly not trade him this year for anything less than they might receive as a compensatory pick.  Similarly, I can't see any team giving more than they might receive as a compensatory pick, if they too are able to slap the transition tag on Bell after this year.

 

I think the upshot of all this is, it is extremely unlikely that Bell will be traded, because the trading deadline, I do believe, happens before week 10 - Bell's expected reporting date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

He also has no control over where he gets traded to, & I'm not so sure Pittsburgh would want to move him to an AFC team that's trending up.

I read the opposite. He has complete control over where he gets traded. If he doesn’t like the team, he doesn’t sign the tag, then they can’t trade him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the trade deal would be Pittsburgh rescinding the franchise tag, does that not change things? why would Pittsburgh care about the tag if traded? 

I feel like people are looking at the tag like its irreversible which in a trade would not be. 

I agree the more time goes on the less value a deal has, but the less value it has the closer the Steelers will be to trading him which they don't want to do but eventually the hand will be forced by Bell holding out. 

If this deal can be made by week 6-7 then Bells services to Pittsburgh will be diminished enough for the Colts to make a deal for a price both sides can agree on. Either way once he is a Colt its easier to resign him in the building than not even if a deal cannot be made this year without the tag"

Also from what I have heard his agent and Bell have been far from unreasonable in there contract expectations. 

Can the Colts make the playoffs this year? Because that is when his services will be mostly needed, and down the stretch weeks 12-17.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EvanPaulSmith said:

Part of the trade deal would be Pittsburgh rescinding the franchise tag, does that not change things? why would Pittsburgh care about the tag if traded? 

 

they wont rescind the tag, if they did that he could just walk in free agency right now.  i think they may not even get a comp pick if he leaves in that scenario,  i could be wrong about that part though 

 

to trade him, they need bell to sign off on the tag 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

He also has no control over where he gets traded to, & I'm not so sure Pittsburgh would want to move him to an AFC team that's trending up.

Actually I believe Bell has a lot of control because in order to be traded he has to have a contract.  He hasn't signed the tag so he isnt under contract.  He would nees to be part of the negotiations and agree to sign the tag in order to be traded unless there is some technicalities of trading the rights.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Actually I believe Bell has a lot of control because in order to be traded he has to have a contract.  He hasn't signed the tag so he isnt under contract.  He would nees to be part of the negotiations and agree to sign the tag in order to be traded unless there is some technicalities of trading the rights.

 

Yeah I misspoke there. I was under the impression that it would ultimately be Pittsburgh's call where he winds up, but apparently that isn't the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He can't get a new deal this year.   Not by anyone.   It's been covered many times

 

Yes, we have.  In addition:

 

"The CBA also expressly prohibits any discussions about a new contract or any type of agreement in principle now that would go into effect after the regular season ends. The acquiring team would have Bell's exclusive negotiating rights from the end of the regular season until March 11, when what is referred to as the legalized tampering period before free agency begins absent the use of a designation.

 

The penalties would be an effective deterrent from violating the rules. Bakari and Bell would be subject to a fine up to $500,000. Commissioner Roger Goodell could impose a fine for as much as $6.5 million on the team where up to two first-round picks could also be forfeited. The team employees involved could be facing a year suspension and would have the same financial exposure as Bakari and Bell."

 

So Even if a trade is made, it is not iron clad beyond the end of the year.  Also, Pittsburgh has no real motivation to rescind the Exclusive Franchise tag.  None.

 

If I'm the GM for Steelers, I make Bell show up week 10.  Play out the season. At the beginning of next year, I'd consider to place the Transition Franchise tag on him. Let other teams battle and bargain with him, set the bar.  If the resulting contract is reasonable, exercise first right of refusal, match the offer and get Bell long term for negotiations made by other teams. Then fine the crap out of him while he's holding out and put him on the trading block then. Move him when a decent deal comes up.

 

There's no incentive (IMHO) for doing it any other way; except for maybe dumping the trash early and moving on if he becomes a distraction or cancer in the locker room.

 

Yes that's another real mean way to use the Tag(s).  But then again, I'm also miffed he turned down an exceptionally fair long term offer made in good faith.  And t hat his counter numbers was too far off to ever hope to find middle ground from there.  I like to think I'm a nice guy, but there is a serious business side to this entertainment business. I guess (given knowledge and right situation) could be a tough negotiator with a players agent in some ways.  But fortunately, I don't know all the ins and outs, nor am I, or even want to be, a GM.

 

And if I was trying to trade for Bell, I'd insist that the Steelers realize how little a team is getting for a trade this year when they ask for compensation (which they won't feel is enough.)

 

I'm interested to see how the Rooney's and Kevin Colbert plays this out.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Yes, we have.  In addition:

 

"The CBA also expressly prohibits any discussions about a new contract or any type of agreement in principle now that would go into effect after the regular season ends. The acquiring team would have Bell's exclusive negotiating rights from the end of the regular season until March 11, when what is referred to as the legalized tampering period before free agency begins absent the use of a designation.

 

The penalties would be an effective deterrent from violating the rules. Bakari and Bell would be subject to a fine up to $500,000. Commissioner Roger Goodell could impose a fine for as much as $6.5 million on the team where up to two first-round picks could also be forfeited. The team employees involved could be facing a year suspension and would have the same financial exposure as Bakari and Bell."

 

So Even if a trade is made, it is not iron clad beyond the end of the year.  Also, Pittsburgh has no real motivation to rescind the Exclusive Franchise tag.  None.

 

If I'm the GM for Steelers, I make Bell show up week 10.  Play out the season. At the beginning of next year, I'd consider to place the Transition Franchise tag on him. Let other teams battle and bargain with him, set the bar.  If the resulting contract is reasonable, exercise first right of refusal, match the offer and get Bell long term for negotiations made by other teams. Then fine the crap out of him while he's holding out and put him on the trading block then. Move him when a decent deal comes up.

 

There's no incentive (IMHO) for doing it any other way; except for maybe dumping the trash early and moving on if he becomes a distraction or cancer in the locker room.

 

Yes that's another real mean way to use the Tag(s).  But then again, I'm also miffed he turned down an exceptionally fair long term offer made in good faith.  And t hat his vounter numbers was too far off to ever hope to find middle ground from there.  I like to think I'm a nice guy, but there is a serious business side to this entertainment business. I guess (given knowledge and right situation) could be a tough negotiator with a players agent in some ways.  But fortunately, I don't know all the ins and outs, nor am I, or even want to be, a GM.

 

And if I was trying to trade for Bell, I'd insist that the Steelers

 

I'm interested to see how the Rooney's and Kevin Colbert plays this out.

 

 

I think this is exactly what's going to happen

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

But If a trade this year does happen, it has to be before October 30 (Trade deadline) or his fate is sealed.

 his fateis sealed either way.   He can't get a contract.   He doesn't want to get hurt.   I don't think he will play even after he signs the tag

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s be honest, if he does sign it will take at least 4 games to get things going if last season taught us anything!  What intrigues me is to sign him and work him in casually with mindset for full dose come December, ready for a playoff push in Jan?  An improved D, an Elite rb and full strength AL could = success as early as 2018 but is CB ready?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts shouldn't trade for a player that likely isn't even in football condition and wont be able to help us much this season.  I feel like it's too much to give up right now.  If anything sign him as a free agent next off season if interested.  At least then we don't have to give up a 2nd rounder and player as well as pay through the nose for an overpriced finesse RB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Well per Rapoport....Steelers are now actively shopping Bell...asking a 2nd and a player.

Can't blame them for asking.  You can always come down.  I think it's fairly certain now that he will be traded before the deadline.  I can't see Ballard pulling the trigger unless we beat the Texans and Patriots.  A tall order for sure but if we do I think he becomes a Colt in October.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

Well per Rapoport....Steelers are now actively shopping Bell...asking a 2nd and a player.

 

A trade is already a difficult transaction, this elevates the difficulty even further.  But the Steelers at least testing the waters.  I think they'll find their nets are empty when they pull them in.

 

They should ask no more than a 3rd round pick, IMO. That's a given, unlike  a Free Agent compensation pick, which they may not get at all if they sign too many, etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites

The edit ability is a bit....... limited

 

I initially was all in on the Bell trade

 

I am arctic cold today (thanks to some better researchers than me on this board)

 

I still think he would step up the talent on this team BUT

 

There are too many issues in doing the trade.... too many "gotchas"

 

If a * team wants to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Bell AND a player..... with no guarantees of a long term signing...... they truly are NOT very smart

 

That is a STUPID move

 

The Steelers are smart in seeing if anyone takes the bait.......

 

The odds of a deal happening now.....  with any team, let alone the Colts would seem small

 

I think the Steelers are done with the guy.......   He will show up by the 10th game, with no motivation to try hard (and maybe to get hurt)

 

The Steelers will have to pay him, and have to pony up the balance of the tag money

 

This action will give them the comp pick in the 3rd round

 

IMHO, (I could be wrong) The Steelers pay him...... but DONT play him

 

He will be a free agent after the season

 

We should then decide if he is worth the effort

 

 

For me, I can understand a bit, the frustration of Bell.  A team that wants to do the perpetual TAG efforts isnt really right.....

 

In this case, the team is only on the hook for that single TAG year, if an injury occurs...... they can say "adios amigo"   ....."Sorry you were injured....... wish you luck"

 

Thanks for taking the beating

 

A multi-year deal does give a bit of protection to the player....

 

You may say "BUT ITS SO MUCH MONEY!!"  I get that...... but why should a ALL Pro player that is top shelf in both running and recieving expect to be paid 10-20% less than another position.

 

The WRs have generally much longer careers and the top, ALL Pro level players at WR, make much more

 

Look at the Beckham deal, $65 Million guaranteed.... The Steelers last offer to Bell was reported to be $33 million guaranteed

 

Bell should be happy with HALF the guaranteed money that Beckham gets??????

 

Bell Touched the ball on over 400 plays, and generated over 1900 yards for the offense

Beckham touched the ball just over 100 plays and generated 1367 yard on his BEST year

(2016)

 

Bell also blocks like a demon....

 

Bell caught the ball 85 times last year..... AND was ALSO the main RB....... 

 

IMHO- He brings MORE value to the Steelers than Beckham brings to the Giants

 

The Steelers have tried to make Bell out to be the BAD GUY........  I dont see it

 

 

Either way..... I dont see a future, at least this year, for Bell coming to INDY

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, EvanPaulSmith said:

So we are talking about arguably the best back in the NFL, who wants to play for our team...

A player like that comes along every few years. the chances of any team hitting on a player like that in the draft with any pic is low. 

Mark these words, the colts not making a legitimate deal with Pittsburgh to rescind the tag and have a deal to move Bell here for 5 years will be a regret. a major one.

The colts do not need a physical pounding RB. 

agility, speed and TALENT get you more yards and more years playing than being an ogre. 

A long term deal that will satisfy Bell, the Steelers and be low risk for the colts is easier than people think. 

I am tired of colts fans being appeased with mediocrity at skill positions when there is a difference maker wanting to be here. 

 

Ridiculous 

 

With the asking price and the contract situation there is no guarantee Bell is more than a rental . 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Look at the Beckham deal, $65 Million guaranteed.... The Steelers last offer to Bell was reported to be $33 million guaranteed

 

On close inspection, it was even worse.  Only 10 million fully guaranteed (signing bonus). It was reported as a 5 year, 70 million deal. But as anyone who follows Superman knows, that means jack squat.  The guaranteed money tells the tale. Bells contract was a 'rolling guarantee', with 33 million in first 2 years, and 45 million through first 3.  But Steelers could cut him at any time, and only be left with a (moderate?) dead cap situation.  Gurley's contract shows Bell was right to reject the offer given him.

 

Bell will show by week 10, get his accrued season and become a UFA.  And the Elway Rule (supposedly Broncos owner Pat Bolen got the Franchise Tag exception in place when FA was bargained in) is truly being used in ways never intended, despite the escalating elevated pay each time it is used.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CamMo said:

 

Playing to win is the most non-Pagano-ish thing a HC can do. I get disagreeing and thinking it was a dumb call, but Pagano is Mr. Play-to-not-lose.

 

Reich believes in his players, and with such a young, hungry team, I like his call. It just didn’t work out.

Well what happened as a result of that play? Didn’t we play to lose? I’m pretty score that was some Pagano soft cover defense that led to the game ending field goal. Sorry wrong thread too

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...