Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When will the light turn on?

dodsworth

It takes time, two games in a new offense isn't much.  We saw glimpses in both games to get excited about, probably at least half of both games was pretty good offense.  Both the Bengals and the Redskins have pretty decent defenses too, keep that in mind.  I am pleased with what I have seen so far.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

It takes time, two games in a new offense isn't much.  We saw glimpses in both games to get excited about, probably at least half of both games was pretty good offense.  Both the Bengals and the Redskins have pretty decent defenses too, keep that in mind.  I am pleased with what I have seen so far.

Two games isn't much time for either the offense or defense

to gel being both are brand new across the board, but the 

defense appears to be ahead of the curve at this point.

Once both start clicking at full speed, the whole NFL had

better take notice because the Colts will be a main player

in this league once again.

I believe Luck and his boys will take a step in the direction

toward efficiency this game but may take a few more to

to really get going.

24 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Two games isn't much time for either the offense or defense

to gel being both are brand new across the board, but the 

defense appears to be ahead of the curve at this point.

Once both start clicking at full speed, the whole NFL had

better take notice because the Colts will be a main player

in this league once again.

I believe Luck and his boys will take a step in the direction

toward efficiency this game but may take a few more to

to really get going.

Defense had one good game, not a pattern of awesomeness.  That's after they had what seems like a decade of substandard defenses.  Don't expect it to all of the sudden be a top 5 defense after one game.  It might be true that something like that in fact did happen, but no one will realize it until it becomes the norm week in and week out. 

As for the offense, Luck has had two games in a new offense after being out for like 18 months.  This question of when is something no one will be able to answer.  It's not even the right question.  But if there is any answer, we're all hoping for the best and we can only sit and wait.  The truth of the matter is, the offense has played well.  We were up early against the Bengals, and when we were losing, it brought us back to the point where we had enough momentum, we had a good reason to believe we would score on the final drive - but for a fumble.  Against the Redskins, we were able to get to an early lead and maintain the lead every time they threatened our lead.  That's what a good offense does.  

If you have an offense that can grind the clock when it needs to and keep you in the game until the very end, and if you had a defense that can make stops when you need them and protect your lead, youv'e got a good team.  When you do that on a regular basis, you've got a great team.  We'll see if that becomes a pattern, but we need more than two games.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It will click at 12.32 in the 2nd quarter of in Colts versus Texans game.

Excellent timing. I'll be at that one.

I'm thinking the second half of the season is when things will start to click on a consistent basis. 

That's my hope anyway.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It often took Peyton’s offenses with Edge, Clark, Wayne, and Harrison two or three games to really get rolling every year.  It will take this group that hasn’t been together as long, that is less talented as a whole, and is much younger some time.

True.  Definitely no Edge on this team.  He legitimized the run game and was a great receiver.  Only one great WR.  And the O line, although much improved, still doesn't compare to the 03-06 line. 

One plus for this team is having a QB who's always a threat to run for the first down.

• Like 1

It likely won’t be this week.

We face the defending Super Bowl Champs who are at home.    Making matters worse the Eagles were upset last week and most of the talk out of Philly this week was how the Eagles feel disrespected.   

They should be completely focused facing the Colts this week.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It often took Peyton’s offenses with Edge, Clark, Wayne, and Harrison two or three games to really get rolling every year.  

Don't mean to be argumentative, but when I read this I thought maybe I had lost my mind because I remember the opposite. So, I checked, and the Colt's offense was quick out of the gate throughout the Manning years:

1999-2010:  30-8  in Sept.     

2003-2007:  16-1  in Sept.

The Colts set the tone in 2000 when, in the first three games, Manning threw for over 1,000 yds, James rushed for over 300 yds. And Harrison had over 300 yds receiving. These numbers were typical for September.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Don't mean to be argumentative, but when I read this I thought maybe I had lost my mind because I remember the opposite. So, I checked, and the Colt's offense was quick out of the gate throughout the Manning years:

1999-2010:  30-8  in Sept.     

2003-2007:  16-1  in Sept.

The Colts set the tone in 2000 when, in the first three games, Manning threw for over 1,000 yds, James rushed for over 300 yds. And Harrison had over 300 yds receiving.

They often won low scoring games early in the season that depended more on the running game early in the season.  It would take two or three games for the offense to click.  Manning said it was often timing and that just takes time.  

Well, during Christmas season I have the lights set to turn on from 6am to 8am, then from 6pm to 12am.

My walkway lights are solar powered, so as soon as it get darks they turn o....

Oh, you mean the offense?

- When our O-Line is full strength. It'll completely open up everything at that point

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It often took Peyton’s offenses with Edge, Clark, Wayne, and Harrison two or three games to really get rolling every year.  It will take this group that hasn’t been together as long, that is less talented as a whole, and is much younger some time.

Man those were the days. When you knew that the offense would score with so much efficiency that some games, the Punter could take the day off. Lol

Once Luck trusts Rogers &/or Grant just a little bit more...  It’ll help us sustain a few more long drives a game and Luck will capitalize on those opportunities.  Doyle being out almost forces Luck to look to others. I hate To see us working on chemistry against the Eagles front. 

Luck’s gonna have to throw hot a few times to sustain drives on 3rd downs and I’d like to see him and Rogers exploit some quick hitters on slants, crosses and option routes this game.  Maybe even some back shoulder work...?  Grant and TY both got one. Let’s see if Rogers has an aptitude for it. Or Grant. Or whomever. Just someone else that Luck can depend on when in need. And he’ll be in need this week.  Luck needs another dynamic receiving target to truly take off. 

And then the lights will “turn on”.