Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some thoughts to share before Week One.....

NewColtsFan

Nailed it regarding the #1 thing I'm looking for with this team:

Growth over the course of the season.

1. That will answer a lot of questions about the young talent.

2. That will answer a lot of questions about this new staff and their ability to develop young talent.

3. That will answer a lot of questions about whether Ballard and his staff can identify talented players and coaches.

4. That will answer a lot of questions re: #12 and his comeback.

If I see growth - positive, sustained growth, with this team, I'll be satisfied.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've been kicking this around for some time and now is the time to talk about it....

First,  I'm happy to say that the website has benefited tremendously from a large number of new posters the last few years.    Posters who not only know Colts football,   but football in general and they read as much as they can and contribute.    They join a strong group and I think the website has never been stronger.

So.....

One of the casualties of the new CBA which went into effect in 2011 is that so much practice and contact have been eliminated,   that teams simply don't feel ready for the start of the season.     I'm talking practice in March,  April, May and June.      I'm talking camp in July and August.    There just isn't much practice time and hitting allowed.     Coaches and GM's are hugely frustrated by this.   Hoping this will change in the next CBA.

And in stories I've read over the past few years,   their view is this....    that teams are simply not ready for the start of the season.    That teams play their way into form in September.    That teams need 2-4 games to really get sharp and ready to compete at the highest level.    That's why there's so much sloppy play in September.   Teams aren't sharp.

Bottom line for me....     with a team like the Colts...    so many new, young players,  and a new coaching staff with first time HC, OC, DC and ST,   we might look especially bad in September.     Things could get dicey in weeks 3-6.   The schedule gets dramatically harder.    We might struggle a bit.   Heck, we might get our butts kicked once or twice.

Here's what I'm lookig for.....     Do the Colts get better in October?     And even better in November and December.     I sure hope so.   That's what I want to see.     Does Andrew look sharper as he plays his way back into form and the rust shakes off.     I sure hope so.    

Like all of you,  I'm much more excited about this year than last.     Win or lose,  I expect us to be a better team this year when all is said and done.

Looking forward to 2018!     

I'm also looking forward to your thoughts in this thread.....

NCF

Nice Post! I, like many think week 1 is very important, a 1-0 start would be huge for the teams confidence and our schedule is rough from weeks 3-5. Alot of people don't expect us to win in Week 1 either because they fear Luck may be rusty and we do have new Coaches. A win in Week 1 could go a long ways.

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've been kicking this around for some time and now is the time to talk about it....

First,  I'm happy to say that the website has benefited tremendously from a large number of new posters the last few years.    Posters who not only know Colts football,   but football in general and they read as much as they can and contribute.    They join a strong group and I think the website has never been stronger.

So.....

One of the casualties of the new CBA which went into effect in 2011 is that so much practice and contact have been eliminated,   that teams simply don't feel ready for the start of the season.     I'm talking practice in March,  April, May and June.      I'm talking camp in July and August.    There just isn't much practice time and hitting allowed.     Coaches and GM's are hugely frustrated by this.   Hoping this will change in the next CBA.

And in stories I've read over the past few years,   their view is this....    that teams are simply not ready for the start of the season.    That teams play their way into form in September.    That teams need 2-4 games to really get sharp and ready to compete at the highest level.    That's why there's so much sloppy play in September.   Teams aren't sharp. And by the way,  when I say "teams"  I mean ALL 32 teams.    Nobody feels ready.   Even the teams that win.     They don't feel like they get enough preparation.

Bottom line for me....     with a team like the Colts...    so many new, young players,  and a new coaching staff with first time HC, OC, DC and ST,   we might look especially bad in September.     Things could get dicey in weeks 3-6.   The schedule gets dramatically harder.    We might struggle a bit.   Heck, we might get our butts kicked once or twice.

Here's what I'm lookig for.....     Do the Colts get better in October?     And even better in November and December.     I sure hope so.   That's what I want to see.     Does Andrew look sharper as he plays his way back into form and the rust shakes off.     I sure hope so.    

Like all of you,  I'm much more excited about this year than last.     Win or lose,  I expect us to be a better team this year when all is said and done.

Looking forward to 2018!     

I'm also looking forward to your thoughts in this thread.....

NCF

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There are 4 preseason games to get ready which is more than plenty.

And as far as quality of play, the games in December are not any better than in September as a whole imo.

No key injuries in 2018 would satisfy me. 2019 is more likely for competing for the division and that is going to take some improvements in personnel.

33 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Thanks NCF. 

The Eagles and Falcons certainly proved this to be true. 26 penalties in one game... Very sloppy!

I have a feeling Matt Ryan and Co. will be hurting from last night and their red zone issues. 

Matt Ryan is a bum. Insulting that he has an MVP, and Andrew Luck does not

8 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Matt Ryan is a bum. Insulting that he has an MVP, and Andrew Luck does not

Matt Ryan and Cam Newton both have an MVP and Luck doesn't but Luck's 2014 season was arguably better than Cam's 2015 season and Ryan's 2016 season. Ryan 4944 Yards/38 TD's in 2016 and 11-5, Luck 4761 Yards/40 TD's and 11-5 = EVEN. Cam went 15-1 in 2015 but didn't have near the Passing Yards or Passing TD's Luck had. It's a Regular Season award so making the SB has nothing to do with it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nice Post! I, like many think week 1 is very important, a 1-0 start would be huge for the teams confidence and our schedule is rough from weeks 3-5. Alot of people don't expect us to win in Week 1 either because they fear Luck may be rusty and we do have new Coaches. A win in Week 1 could go a long ways.

As much as a week 1 win would be nice,(and OFC i'm rooting for it since we've started 0-2 the past few seasons) I don't think it is necessary for a successful season.  As a matter of fact, with a new team all the way around, i just want to see a competitive opening game.  

Want to see our players playing hard.  Make your mistakes now.  They are going to happen.  I hop the Bengals throw their entire playbook at us, both offense and defensively.  Let our young player see what the NFL has to offer.  Let our coaches get a feel for what our team can do vrs the rest of the NFL.  This way it will be less of a surprise for our team later in the season when they see these things again.

Yes, I would love to win now. But I would much rather grow fast as a team these first couple games, than win a couple squeakers and not be much better as a whole because of it.  Give me long term growth.  Give me health so our player can be on the field to learn.  Give me a team I can be rooting for in December and January again.

Go Colts.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Matt Ryan and Cam Newton both have an MVP and Luck doesn't but Luck's 2014 season was arguably better than Cam's 2015 season and Ryan's 2016 season. Ryan 4944 Yards/38 TD's in 2016 and 11-5, Luck 4761 Yards/40 TD's and 11-5 = EVEN. Cam went 15-1 in 2015 but didn't have near the Passing Yards or Passing TD's Luck had. It's a Regular Season award so making the SB has nothing to do with it. 

Luck should have won MVP his rookie season. Taking that roster to an 11-5 record was remarkable. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

NCF

YOU KNOW...AND I WILL TRY TO STAY HUMBLE...I AM NOT TRYING TO TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR THIS, BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU KEEP GIVING IT TO ME!!  YOUR WELCOME!!  TO THE REST OF YOU SUCKERS, WATCH WHAT I DO AND TAKE NOTES.

5 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

AP has Luck's MVP trophy. Just like Shaun Alexander has one of Peyton Manning's

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Luck didn't even win rookie of the year that season.   He certainly wasn't getting MVP over AD

The worst one by far was that year he was co-mvp with McNair.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Thanks NCF. 

The Eagles and Falcons certainly proved this to be true. 26 penalties in one game... Very sloppy!

I have a feeling Matt Ryan and Co. will be hurting from last night and their red zone issues. 

Most of those were cramps from the extreme heat.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yep. This has had a negative effect on the OL play across the league, in particular. 

• Like 1

Keep Lucm protected, keep him healthy, help him get rid of the ball faster and run the crap out of the no huddle. Play to Lucks strengths. 

Would like to see the defense just fly around and hustle. Through some growing pains they will or I hope they'll get better as the season goes. Sink or swim baby

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bizarro Superman said:

YOU KNOW...AND I WILL TRY TO STAY HUMBLE...I AM NOT TRYING TO TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR THIS, BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU KEEP GIVING IT TO ME!!  YOUR WELCOME!!  TO THE REST OF YOU SUCKERS, WATCH WHAT I DO AND TAKE NOTES.

The site couldn't be more bland, full of the clueless, and reads more like what is going on in our politics.
Go Colts! 10-6 and playoffs LUCKY the MVP    Infinity and beyond!  
 This was written to get LIKES.   :stir:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bizarro Superman said:

Can I please get this translated into simple English?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Can I please get this translated into simple English?

‘In reference to your appraisal of newer forum posters, I will try my best to maintain my humility, as I am not intending to take away from others whom this compliment is also referring to, but I must admit that it is quite tempting to act boastful when I am showered with these heaps of praise from you. Others would be smart to follow suit in my posting habits if they wish to receive the same amount of praise and approval.’

Not simple English, but sophisticated English haha 

• Like 1

I think the Colts will be highly penalized early on, based on preseason. Hopefully that doesn't continue well into the season. And like several others have said, improvement over the entire season will be a significant focus; it's something Ballard has mentioned as well.

But, I'm glad Reich had the team spend so much time in pads during camp. I don't think there were many contact related injuries, and it might have even helped reduce soft tissue injuries. Not to mention, getting guys acclimated to contact. 

I don't know whether the team will be any good, there are too many unknowns. But I do like what Reich did to get the team ready for the season. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

that teams are simply not ready for the start of the season.    That teams play their way into form in September.    That teams need 2-4 games to really get sharp and ready to compete at the highest level.    That's why there's so much sloppy play in September.   Teams aren't sharp.

This is true.  They may be in good 'health' shape, but because of the lack of practice (especially in pads hitting) and 'work' themselves into football shape over 3-4 full games.

16 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There are 4 preseason games to get ready which is more than plenty.

Unfortunately, it is not.

16 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

And as far as quality of play, the games in December are not any better than in September as a whole imo.

Teams need depth.  In the early part of the season, it is fatigue driven. Later in the year, it is injury driven. But depth playing is rarely as good as the starters.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This is true.  They may be in good 'health' shape, but because of the lack of practice (especially in pads hitting) and 'work' themselves into football shape over 3-4 full games.

Unfortunately, it is not.

Teams need depth.  In the early part of the season, it is fatigue driven. Later in the year, it is injury driven. But depth playing is rarely as good as the starters.

You say 4 preseason games is unfortunately not enough to get sharp.... But they don't even use the 4th. Coaches give the starters the 4th game off.

16 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You say 4 preseason games is unfortunately not enough to get sharp.... But they don't even use the 4th. Coaches give the starters the 4th game off.

Yes....   because teams don’t want to get their best players hurt in the week leading up to the start of the regular season.    This is not new.    Teams have been doing this for roughly 50 years, though admittedly not to this extent.

14 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The site couldn't be more bland, full of the clueless, and reads more like what is going on in our politics.
Go Colts! 10-6 and playoffs LUCKY the MVP    Infinity and beyond!  
 This was written to get LIKES.   :stir:

lmao There have probably been around 5 people on this whole site that thinks Luck will win MVP this year and I think they are just be sarcastic. Most people on here are picking us to have a losing record as well and half the people on here have Cincy beating us. Not sure what you are reading? Even most of the positive people on here are picking the Colts to go 8-8 or 9-7 like me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

lmao There have probably been around 5 people on this whole site that thinks Luck will win MVP this year and I think they are just be sarcastic. Most people on here are picking us to have a losing record as well and half the people on here have Cincy beating us. Not sure what you are reading? Even most of the positive people on here are picking the Colts to go 8-8 or 9-7 like me. 

Sometimes I think that poster could change their name from "throwing BBZ to "lofting mortars".