Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson: Practice Dud, Game Stud?

TKnight24

Just now, ProblChld32 said:

Is it that he just doesnt put much effort into practice? I know immaturity was a huge reason why he did not plat last year. I would hope he treats every practice as a game day, how you do anything is how you do everything.

Some players are the opposite - great in practice, but not great when the real bullets fly.   That's true with everything.  Certain people are great singers in the shower, great guitarists in their room, but fail in public.

Stephen Morris comes to mind here...practice was not the best for him but games he looked pretty decent (preseason games that is).

For what it's worth I see Wilson being a starter at some point this year. He needs to prove himself to the coaches and shine a little more than everyone else. I do like him and Desir with Hairston playing nickel.

• Like 1

As I've said before, Quincy is a great press zone cover corner.  He's big, physical, can tackle and plays the ball great in the air.  I've seen him play every game at Florida and he always stood out.  I only saw the 1st half last night but was wondering why I didn't see him.  He's a #1 CB on this roster.  There's no doubt about that.

Just speculation, but I have experienced kids that really think about everything to the point that it slows them down a bit. However, that is the time to be doing that. 

Then in a game they calm the conscious mind and let their instincts take over.

It's that not that uncommon, especially when a player is new or learning a new system. 

I think there are possible two things that are not helping Quincy nailing down a starting CB spot.

First is that he is really just a kid. He was drafted at just 20 years old and I think he maybe hasn't fully matured and brought the right attitude to practice every day. I think the coaching staff need to sit him down and just tell him to work harder during the week and you will start on Sunday.

The second point, which follows on from the first, is that he is the type of player that could really do with some veteran leadership to help him along. He has never really had that here, someone to show him the type of standards he needs to meet and set to be a quality starter in the league. Last year especially when he arrived into camp out of shape, he could have done with advice on how to get ready. He has to figure alot of this out by himself, which is tough. Actually, the defense as a whole, particularly at LB, lacks alot of veteran leadership which would really benefit the young players we have.

I think things will click for Quincy eventually. There is no doubt the talent is there and he is the best corner we have based on pure talent.

• Like 1

He was on the field when Jackson was throwing the ball, so I take his rating with a bit of a question mark. 

However, I think he is very-very talented. It seems he is more a game time guy than practice time, but it is better than the opposite. And he is still very young, and he missed almost the entire offseason last year because his surgery. Then was injured/sidelined during the season. So he's practically a rookie as far as number of practice days, game experience, etc. goes. In long term (well, in 1-2 years) it's still him, who I put my money on becoming the Colts primary corner, not Desir or Moore.

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I wanna believe the hype but his 88.2 pff rating was against mostly 2nd stringers including an inaccurate rookie QB. Let’s wait for him to consistently play well against the 1’s. 

I agree.  It’s not just what you do in the pre-season it’s who you do it against too.

On 8/21/2018 at 6:12 PM, Colt Overseas said:

I think there are possible two things that are not helping Quincy nailing down a starting CB spot.

First is that he is really just a kid. He was drafted at just 20 years old and I think he maybe hasn't fully matured and brought the right attitude to practice every day. I think the coaching staff need to sit him down and just tell him to work harder during the week and you will start on Sunday.

The second point, which follows on from the first, is that he is the type of player that could really do with some veteran leadership to help him along. He has never really had that here, someone to show him the type of standards he needs to meet and set to be a quality starter in the league. Last year especially when he arrived into camp out of shape, he could have done with advice on how to get ready. He has to figure alot of this out by himself, which is tough. Actually, the defense as a whole, particularly at LB, lacks alot of veteran leadership which would really benefit the young players we have.

I think things will click for Quincy eventually. There is no doubt the talent is there and he is the best corner we have based on pure talent.

We need to keep a lot of this in perspective with a great deal of this roster. Some players don't hit their peak until 25 or 26... it might be a few years before we see the true potential of Q. Wilson