Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyle Brandt: Andrew Luck and the Colts can win the AFC South in 2018

superrep1967

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm with you.    We don't know what the rookie coaches will do.   It may take a couple years.

Sure, a healthy Luck can win us a few games.    But we don't even know if we'll have a healthy Luck.   We don't know if we will keep him healthy.   The current O-line will not.   Outside of Luck, this team has gotten worse since the end of the season.   We need to hit on almost every draft pick and also hope that some good players are cut from other teams.  

I think the chances of the Colts winning the division are less than 20%.    Just too many holes to fill and not enough draft picks to do it.

Re chances, I'm drawn to 25%. Not sure why though.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rams were 4-12 in 2016, nobody had them winning more than 5 games last season. All they did was change Coaches and give Goff the green light to do his thing. Then they go 11-5 and win their Division. So I agree anything can happen.

Rams were a talented team being held back by a terrible coach. Fisher had lost the team and they didn’t want to play for him anymore. I don’t see the Colts having that big of a turn around in 2018. 2019 is a different story though. 

• Like 1

To me, lately, the team that has given the Colts the most issues the last couple of years in the AFC South, even with Luck, has been the Jaguars. Unfortunately, that is also the team that has the highest floor in the division, IMO. Anyone can talk about ceiling of Mariota and Watson, but ultimately, it is about winning games with a well rounded team, which the Jags seem to do well lately.

Right now, I think the Colts are playing for second place in the division, IMO. That is the ceiling of my expectations. :) 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Havent heard many mention this, but this new offense won't be exactly like the Eagles or the Colts or the Chargers.  It will be new and tailored for Luck.  There will be no tape to watch.  I would think we catch quite a few teams off guard just for that reason.  

Even when opposing teams are prepared they won't stop our Offense!

Our weapons on Offense & our coach will be tough to even slow down let alone stop.:D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why does everyone assume the coaching staff will be all that much better than before?  A guess? A hunch?

Way too many are talking about players when the biggest question we are facing is the unknown coaching staff.

Like it or not we have a rookie head coach and quite a few coaches who are rookies at their positions.

Getting players is one thing but getting the right coaches to find themselves on the same page is a totally different thing.

My reasoning for them being better is. Reich was under Tom Moore, our DC was under Rod Marinelli. 2 proven guys. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Not alone, but more by himself than any QB I had ever seen.  

I get what you're saying but lets be honest. Yeah manning def helped us but we had play makers on both sides of the ball. Wayne, garcon, clark, addai, freeny, Mathis, bethea, bullitt/Sanders, (Melvin bullitt was under rated) powers, bracket.. Not to mention manning always had a pretty decent o-line. 

19 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I believe this but Luck has to be 100% and if the O-line is much improved then why not. I mean I think we got much better coaching now. IMO

But I'm mostly interested in what everybody else thinks. I'm not really asking for any predictions because it's too early to tell. But with a really good draft and if players can stay more healthy this season. Do you think the Colts can potentially win the South? I mean if Luck is healthy and everything. 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Kyle-Brandt-Andrew-Luck-and-the-Colts-can-win-the-AFC-South-in-2018/8e45d9ac-5d57-407b-9579-3935394a7800

He doesn't believe it is going to happen. Neither should you.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah, he made some fantastic catches and those runs were a thing of beauty. :D

He made the running backs better by forcing the opposing defense to cover deep and not stack the line.  

Of course he made the WR's and TE's better.  

His approach of scoring quick and early helped the defense (especially Freeney).   The opposing teams gave up the run and went all pass all the time.  This allowed Freeney to pin the ears back.   The Colts could never stop the run, so Manning definitely helped the defense.    

32 minutes ago, Myles said:

He made the running backs better by forcing the opposing defense to cover deep and not stack the line.  

Of course he made the WR's and TE's better.  

His approach of scoring quick and early helped the defense (especially Freeney).   The opposing teams gave up the run and went all pass all the time.  This allowed Freeney to pin the ears back.   The Colts could never stop the run, so Manning definitely helped the defense.    

I know all this but he still didn't get those wins all alone like it was suggested earlier in the thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matabix said:

My reasoning for them being better is. Reich was under Tom Moore, our DC was under Rod Marinelli. 2 proven guys. 

I hope you are 100% correct. But we still don't know how the rest of the coaching staff is going to do. Till coaches prove they belong, it is a complete unknown.

6 hours ago, Surge89 said:

...wait you are telling me that a line that has Charlie Johnson as the starting LT is better than what we have now?  A line that has 2 first rounders and a high level guard?  Lol...

Also his receivers were an aged Reggie (still really good) a young Garcon and a bunch of nobodies... How is that better?

Reggie was still elite, Collie was a beast, and garçon was also a beast. Collie only lasted a year and a half but he was insane in 2009. 

1A8C8F23-1987-47A4-B50D-9E0273F8151C.jpeg

What do do we have now? TY and practice squad guys.

7 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Rams were a talented team being held back by a terrible coach. Fisher had lost the team and they didn’t want to play for him anymore. I don’t see the Colts having that big of a turn around in 2018. 2019 is a different story though. 

This I agree with you on. I think in 2019 assuming Luck is healthy we will be Good again. I can see 8-8 in 2018 though if Luck gets back to form.

21 hours ago, Surge89 said:

... We had Manning for 5 years where he was pretty much the only player on the field... In 09 the defense and special teams were so terrible one game Manning had the ball for a whopping 15 minutes the entire game and he still won...  He literally willed us to a super bowl that year.  So yes a QB can mask 52 players if he's good enough.

Although possible, it’s highly unlikely.  Manning is one of the best QBs to ever play the game and it’s unfair to expect Luck to play at that level. Luck is an above average QB and as this roster grows we should become better. 

Luck is good. Or rather he was. We have no idea how good he is now.

In all honesty, even with a prime Peyton, we would still not win AFC South this coming season. Even with a slam of a draft. Our roster is without question the worst in our division. That matters, more than who's suiting up as your QB on gameday. QB's are important, but they don't win games on their own.

We will get back, but it's going to take some time. More than what most in here is willing to admit.

• Like 1

It's going to take more than just a new coaching staff and a good 2018 draft to repair the damage done under the Grigson-Pagano regime. If everyone stays healthy, Luck is back to his old form, the Colts go 8-8, and they're competitive in most of their games, that's a "winning season" at this stage of the rebuild. The rest of the AFC South was getting stronger while the Colts were suffering the effects of some stunningly inept management and coaching. No matter how great a draft Ballard might have, there are still too many holes in the roster that just won't be filled this year. Next year should see a solid core group of young players putting it all together, and by 2020 the Colts could be in a position to think realistically about the post-season again. Until then, we'll all need a heaping second helping of patience. 

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, deedub75 said:

And yet when the Colts were blown out by them in the opener, TONS of people here were ripping the Colts for losing to such a "lowly" team.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

And yet when the Colts were blown out by them in the opener, TONS of people here were ripping the Colts for losing to such a "lowly" team.

The mood changes in this forum reminds of those old fashion mood rings.

When we win it's all cheers and we are going places. So it's all blue

When we lose it's doom and gloom and the end of the world. And someone needs fired. So it's all red.

Nothing can be taken as it's just the NFL and football. 

The reality of the NFL is it has nothing to do with everyday life.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:03 PM, CopenhagenColt said:

Luck is good. Or rather he was. We have no idea how good he is now.

In all honesty, even with a prime Peyton, we would still not win AFC South this coming season. Even with a slam of a draft. Our roster is without question the worst in our division. That matters, more than who's suiting up as your QB on gameday. QB's are important, but they don't win games on their own.

We will get back, but it's going to take some time. More than what most in here is willing to admit.

:mjlol:

Peyton would run through the division 6-0 in his prime. 

Anyways, I agree with the possibility of us winning the division. However, we are ways to go. The stars would have to align; Luck would have to full recover and bounce back into 2014 form, we would need to hit home runs in the draft, our FAs would have to pan out and our coaching would have to be better than recent years.

I think those are too many "if"s to bank on right now. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, colt18 said:

Anyways, I agree with the possibility of us winning the division. However, we are ways to go. The stars would have to align; Luck would have to full recover and bounce back into 2014 form, we would need to hit home runs in the draft, our FAs would have to pan out and our coaching would have to be better than recent years.

"Peyton would run through the division 6-0 in his prime" :scoregood:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

It's going to take more than just a new coaching staff and a good 2018 draft to repair the damage done under the Grigson-Pagano regime. If everyone stays healthy, Luck is back to his old form, the Colts go 8-8, and they're competitive in most of their games, that's a "winning season" at this stage of the rebuild. The rest of the AFC South was getting stronger while the Colts were suffering the effects of some stunningly inept management and coaching. No matter how great a draft Ballard might have, there are still too many holes in the roster that just won't be filled this year. Next year should see a solid core group of young players putting it all together, and by 2020 the Colts could be in a position to think realistically about the post-season again. Until then, we'll all need a heaping second helping of patience. 

The offensive line was supposed to be upgraded this year. We haven’t done anything to improve it. If mewhort and Kelly can stay healthy then that’s a start. The rest of our line scares me. Castonzo is getting older and worse at his position. I think if it comes down between Nelson and Chubb at no.6 then Nelson should be automatic. 

11 minutes ago, colt18 said:

He's 46-14 against the division during his entire career and went 6-0 in 2005.

Yeah most seasons we waltzed through the Division with Peyton. The season we won it all, it was odd because we did go 3-3. 2 of those losses were by last second FG's though, so kind of fluky.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

The offensive line was supposed to be upgraded this year. We haven’t done anything to improve it. If mewhort and Kelly can stay healthy then that’s a start. The rest of our line scares me. Castonzo is getting older and worse at his position. I think if it comes down between Nelson and Chubb at no.6 then Nelson should be automatic. 

I'd be ecstatic with Nelson at #6 and a stud RT with one of those high 2nd round picks. Keeping Luck's uniform clean and all of his body parts attached has to be Priority One this year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, colt18 said:

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

He's 46-14 against the division during his entire career and went 6-0 in 2005.

Touché

But, prior to this past season, the Colts went like 23-7 against the division under Luck (& Hasselback for a few games), almost the exact same %...

Anyways, guess my point was that regardless of how good or great Manning or Luck are, the cliche holds true, that football's the ultimate team sport.

Regardless, I hold out optimism that with a healthy Luck, & with improved coaching, scheming, & overall team chemistry that winning or at least competing for the division isnt completely unreasonable...

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I disagree (for now) Unless the colts score big in the draft, the colts will be a 5-8 win team in 2018. Reicht can say he is about winning now ( and I'm glad he has that mindset) but the truth of the matter is, the offensive line is still an issue, and the defense is an even bigger issue. Sorry if everyone doesn't agree with me, I just think even with a healthy Luck, the colts right now are only a 5 to 8 win team. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Colts win the division again. Just don't see it happening in 2018. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Touché

But, prior to this past season, the Colts went like 23-7 against the division under Luck (& Hasselback for a few games), almost the exact same %...

Anyways, guess my point was that regardless of how good or great Manning or Luck are, the cliche holds true, that football's the ultimate team sport.

Regardless, I hold out optimism that with a healthy Luck, & with improved coaching, scheming, & overall team chemistry that winning or at least competing for the division isnt completely unreasonable...

Gotcha.

God I miss Peyton Manning...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, colt18 said:

I seriously doubt even Peyton would be able to do that.

- Leagues worst O-line (even Peyton would be sacked a gazillion times a season with this O-line)

- A weak arsenal of weapons to throw the ball to, outside T.Y. Hilton.

- No RB (Mack is hardly Fournette, Bell or Gurley)

- A weak defense, long gone are the days of Freeney/Mathis.

Sure we have some interesting young talents like Hooker, Wilson and some solid seasoned players like T.Y., Castonzo and a few others, but let's be real here. Our roster needs an upgrade at almost every position.

It's going to take few seasons of developing the young talents, drafting smart and signing the right guys in FA, before we're back. And that's okay. I'll still support my Colts while they build a team that can compete deep into the playoffs again.

3 hours ago, CopenhagenColt said:

I seriously doubt even Peyton would be able to do that.

- Leagues worst O-line (even Peyton would be sacked a gazillion times a season with this O-line)

- A weak arsenal of weapons to throw the ball to, outside T.Y. Hilton.

- No RB (Mack is hardly Fournette, Bell or Gurley)

- A weak defense, long gone are the days of Freeney/Mathis.

Sure we have some interesting young talents like Hooker, Wilson and some solid seasoned players like T.Y., Castonzo and a few others, but let's be real here. Our roster needs an upgrade at almost every position.

It's going to take few seasons of developing the young talents, drafting smart and signing the right guys in FA, before we're back. And that's okay. I'll still support my Colts while they build a team that can compete deep into the playoffs again.

Idk man, Peyton is one of the GOATs.

He routinely made the OL look better with his quick release and made low talent WRs produce. You have a point with the lack of an RB and weak defense, though.

• Like 1