Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyle Brandt: Andrew Luck and the Colts can win the AFC South in 2018

superrep1967

I believe this but Luck has to be 100% and if the O-line is much improved then why not. I mean I think we got much better coaching now. IMO

But I'm mostly interested in what everybody else thinks. I'm not really asking for any predictions because it's too early to tell. But with a really good draft and if players can stay more healthy this season. Do you think the Colts can potentially win the South? I mean if Luck is healthy and everything. 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Kyle-Brandt-Andrew-Luck-and-the-Colts-can-win-the-AFC-South-in-2018/8e45d9ac-5d57-407b-9579-3935394a7800

• Like 2

Colts have the best QB in the division It’s a QB driven league 

Jaguars were one bad throw by Bortles from being in the Super Bowl & probably winning. Their defense is no question their strength, but I think a healthy Luck plus Reich offense Colts definitely can be a problem in the division 

I don’t believe in Mariota and I definitely don’t believe in 2 ACL torn Watson 

• Like 2

With all of these media people picking us to be bad and ranking us 31st or last, they keep forgetting we still have the best QB in the Division when healthy. We also lost 6 games by only 7 points or less last season. If Luck stays healthy for 16 games I will say at worse we go 8-8. With a Great Draft, who knows we could go 10-6 and win the Division?? Frank Reich's system might allow Luck to tear things up this season? The Jags look to be a team that will probably go 10-6, maybe 11-5 because of their Defense but I am still not sold on Blake Bortles. I think he takes a step back Statistically compared to last season. If Fournette cant stay healthy that team could even be in trouble IMO. I look at the Texans and not sure if Watson can make it through a full season, same for Watt so they are impossible to predict record wise. Regarding the Titans, I see them nothing more than a 9-7 team at best on paper.

Havent heard many mention this, but this new offense won't be exactly like the Eagles or the Colts or the Chargers.  It will be new and tailored for Luck.  There will be no tape to watch.  I would think we catch quite a few teams off guard just for that reason.  

• Like 7

The why not is the same it's been all year....

We have a VERY thin roster...  but much real talent and precious few play makers and difference makers.   Little has changed since the last game.

The 2017 draft picks are going to have to step up big time...   and whoever the 2018 picks turn into also have to step up like the New Orleans rookie class did last year.

Oh, and the O-line has to get fixed once and for all..

Other than all that we stand a great chance....  :peek:

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The why not is the same it's been all year....

We have a VERY thin roster...  but much real talent and precious few play makers and difference makers.   Little has changed since the last game.

The 2017 draft picks are going to have to step up big time...   and whoever the 2018 picks turn into also have to step up like the New Orleans rookie class did last year.

Oh, and the O-line has to get fixed once and for all..

Other than all that we stand a great chance....  :peek:

We could actually go 8-8 and still finish last in the Division because every team is capable of going 9-7 IMO. I just look at a healthy Andrew Luck and to me he adds 4 or 5 wins to any Roster that is Bad that played with a mediocre QB. IMO the Browns would've even won 4 or 5 last season had a healthy Luck been their QB and of course they went 0-16.

• Like 1

Why does everyone assume the coaching staff will be all that much better than before?  A guess? A hunch?

Way too many are talking about players when the biggest question we are facing is the unknown coaching staff.

Like it or not we have a rookie head coach and quite a few coaches who are rookies at their positions.

Getting players is one thing but getting the right coaches to find themselves on the same page is a totally different thing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We could actually go 8-8 and still finish last in the Division because every team is capable of going 9-7 IMO. I just look at a healthy Andrew Luck and to me he adds 4 or 5 wins to any Roster that is Bad that played with a mediocre QB. IMO the Browns would've even won 4 or 5 last season had a healthy Luck been their QB and of course they went 0-16.

I don't disaree with what you wrote.

But the OP posted about someone from Good Morning Football who thinks the Colts could win the AFC South.

I just think that's wishful off-season thinking.     We are a way from that happening.

Just by roster alone,  we have the fourth best team in the division.     And to outsiders,  it's pretty obvious.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't disaree with what you wrote.

But the OP posted about someone from Good Morning Football who thinks the Colts could win the AFC South.

I just think that's wishful off-season thinking.     We are a way from that happening.

Just by roster alone,  we have the fourth best team in the division.     And to outsiders,  it's pretty obvious.

Yeah unfortunately the Jags will probably win the Division again unless Andrew really tears it up.

Just now, TKnight24 said:

Colts have the best QB in the division It’s a QB driven league 

Jaguars were one bad throw by Bortles from being in the Super Bowl & probably winning. Their defense is no question their strength, but I think a healthy Luck plus Reich offense Colts definitely can be a problem in the division 

I don’t believe in Mariota and I definitely don’t believe in 2 ACL torn Watson 

I totally agree!

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why does everyone assume the coaching staff will be all that much better than before?  A guess? A hunch?

Way too many are talking about players when the biggest question we are facing is the unknown coaching staff.

Like it or not we have a rookie head coach and quite a few coaches who are rookies at their positions.

Getting players is one thing but getting the right coaches to find themselves on the same page is a totally different thing.

It happens on here every time there's a coaching change.

Chud was going to fix everything Pep did wrong. Monachino was going to be better than Manusky.

I'm guessing the blind faith in unknown coaches is more comforting than looking at the actual players we'll be putting on the field.

In terms of this thread though I really struggle with the concept of the colts winning the division any time soon. The other 3 teams have better constructed rosters and I don't see any possible argument about that. 

The only position group where we have an advantage is the quarterback but even that is based on a player who has barely thrown a ball in anger for 2 years. The QB is clearly the most important position but can it really mask the competitive deficiencies of the other 52 guys? 

I think anything is possible.  Look at the Rams and Jags from last season to the previous season.  Completely different.  I have no idea what to expect from this team.  They didn't have their best player all year.  The coaching staff has been completely replaced.  Ballard has shown glimpses that he might actually know what he's doing. 

With that said, my expectations for this season remain low.  But I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts won the division.  The NFL seems to be the one league where teams can turn on a dime from year-to-year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I think anything is possible.  Look at the Rams and Jags from last season to the previous season.  Completely different.  I have no idea what to expect from this team.  They didn't have their best player all year.  The coaching staff has been completely replaced.  Ballard has shown glimpses that he might actually know what he's doing. 

With that said, my expectations for this season remain low.  But I wouldn't be shocked if the Colts won the division.  The NFL seems to be the one league where teams can turn on a dime from year-to-year.

Both those teams were way more talented than this one.  

1 minute ago, mahagga73 said:

Both those teams were way more talented than this one.  

True, but at the time, neither had a QB like a healthy Luck either in a QB-driven league.  Only this season did we see that Goff is going to be alright.  But it was iffy.  Still is on Bortles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

The only position group where we have an advantage is the quarterback but even that is based on a player who has barely thrown a ball in anger for 2 years. The QB is clearly the most important position but can it really mask the competitive deficiencies of the other 52 guys? 

... We had Manning for 5 years where he was pretty much the only player on the field... In 09 the defense and special teams were so terrible one game Manning had the ball for a whopping 15 minutes the entire game and he still won...  He literally willed us to a super bowl that year.  So yes a QB can mask 52 players if he's good enough.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

True, but at the time, neither had a QB like a healthy Luck either in a QB-driven league.  Only this season did we see that Goff is going to be alright.  But it was iffy.  Still is on Bortles.

Rams were 4-12 in 2016, nobody had them winning more than 5 games last season. All they did was change Coaches and give Goff the green light to do his thing. Then they go 11-5 and win their Division. So I agree anything can happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

I believe this but Luck has to be 100% and if the O-line is much improved then why not. I mean I think we got much better coaching now. IMO

But I'm mostly interested in what everybody else thinks. I'm not really asking for any predictions because it's too early to tell. But with a really good draft and if players can stay more healthy this season. Do you think the Colts can potentially win the South? I mean if Luck is healthy and everything. 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Kyle-Brandt-Andrew-Luck-and-the-Colts-can-win-the-AFC-South-in-2018/8e45d9ac-5d57-407b-9579-3935394a7800

I agree 100%

4 hours ago, Surge89 said:

... We had Manning for 5 years where he was pretty much the only player on the field... In 09 the defense and special teams were so terrible one game Manning had the ball for a whopping 15 minutes the entire game and he still won...  He literally willed us to a super bowl that year.  So yes a QB can mask 52 players if he's good enough.

I think that's massively disrespectful to Freeney, Mathis, Clark, Harrison, Wayne & Sanders...not to mention a few others. I don't think they needed masking.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Surge89 said:

If you think Manning was the only player who had anything to do with winning the super bowl I have to question your knowledge of football.

There is not a QB in the history of the NFL that has won any game by himself. Football is a team sport in case you forgot.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you think Manning was the only player who had anything to do with winning the super bowl I have to question your knowledge of football.

There is not a QB in the history of the NFL that has won any game by himself. Football is a team sport in case you forgot.

We didn't win it that year...

3 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I think that's massively disrespectful to Freeney, Mathis, Clark, Harrison, Wayne & Sanders...not to mention a few others. I don't think they needed masking.

Except that Harrison wasn't on the team Freeney spent more time injured or running past the play than helping that year and we had no Sanders.  Manning literally was the only player that year. 

Call it disrespectful all you want the fact is that team was terrible that year and the only reason why we got to the Superbowl was due to Manning. 

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm with you.    We don't know what the rookie coaches will do.   It may take a couple years.

Sure, a healthy Luck can win us a few games.    But we don't even know if we'll have a healthy Luck.   We don't know if we will keep him healthy.   The current O-line will not.   Outside of Luck, this team has gotten worse since the end of the season.   We need to hit on almost every draft pick and also hope that some good players are cut from other teams.  

I think the chances of the Colts winning the division are less than 20%.    Just too many holes to fill and not enough draft picks to do it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Except that Harrison wasn't on the team Freeney spent more time injured or running past the play than helping that year and we had no Sanders.  Manning literally was the only player that year. 

Call it disrespectful all you want the fact is that team was terrible that year and the only reason why we got to the Superbowl was due to Manning. 

Ah, I see. I was thinking of the year we won it rather than the runner up year.

There were still 6 other pro-bowlers on the team that year including 3 All Pros not names Peyton. Nobody, not even Manning or Luck does it all on their own.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

It happens on here every time there's a cisxhing change.

Chud was going to fix everything Pep did wrong. Monachino was going to be better than Manusky.

I'm guessing the blind faith in unknown coaches is more comforting than looking at the actual players we'll be putting on the field.

In terms of this thread though I really struggle with the concept of the volts winning the division any time soon. The other 3 teams have better constructed rosters and I don't see any possible argument about that. 

It's hard to be overly optimistic for this upcoming season for me. There are so many issues to be answered.

I hope and wish things will turn out for the better but the reality of it all is we really don't know.

A healthy Luck will keep most fans optimistic but he can't carry this team like some are saying. No matter how good a QB is we all know it takes some talented players around him to make it all work. I think Ballard has made some good moves but were they enough to see an improvement? 

To be talking about winning the division and making the playoffs with all the issues this team has is way too pre mature IMO.

As young as this team is it is imperative the new coaches have to be great teachers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rams were 4-12 in 2016, nobody had them winning more than 5 games last season. All they did was change Coaches and give Goff the green light to do his thing. Then they go 11-5 and win their Division. So I agree anything can happen.

they had talent on the roster similar to the Jags they've been drafting in the top 10 for a while so i would think that would help factor in with talent being there. But i agree no one gave them much of a chance and they turned things around pretty quickly with front office changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

You mean Sanders.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With all of these media people picking us to be bad and ranking us 31st or last, they keep forgetting we still have the best QB in the Division when healthy. We also lost 6 games by only 7 points or less last season. If Luck stays healthy for 16 games I will say at worse we go 8-8. With a Great Draft, who knows we could go 10-6 and win the Division?? Frank Reich's system might allow Luck to tear things up this season? The Jags look to be a team that will probably go 10-6, maybe 11-5 because of their Defense but I am still not sold on Blake Bortles. I think he takes a step back Statistically compared to last season. If Fournette cant stay healthy that team could even be in trouble IMO. I look at the Texans and not sure if Watson can make it through a full season, same for Watt so they are impossible to predict record wise. Regarding the Titans, I see them nothing more than a 9-7 team at best on paper.

If Riech can successfully teach his philosophy in a relatively short time, I can see the colts going 11-5. With a quicker paced game, our offense will burn this league. We saw it with Peyton and Andrew is just as capable to lead our offense. I don’t have any expectations, just excitement. Riech is considered the QB whisperer. If Andrew comes back 100% I expect big things from him once he shakes the rust off. 

2 hours ago, Surge89 said:

One of my pet peeves is when people literally don’t know how to use “literally” correctly smh.

The roster was terrible on defense, but we still had more playmakers on D than we do now. His O line was better than what we have now, and his receivers were better than we have now. That being said, Manning was the reason we went, but he had playmakers to help him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

One of my pet peeves is when people literally don’t know how to use “literally” correctly smh.

The roster was terrible on defense, but we still had more playmakers on D than we do now. His O line was better than what we have now, and his receivers were better than we have now. That being said, Manning was the reason we went, but he had playmakers to help him.

...wait you are telling me that a line that has Charlie Johnson as the starting LT is better than what we have now?  A line that has 2 first rounders and a high level guard?  Lol...

Also his receivers were an aged Reggie (still really good) a young Garcon and a bunch of nobodies... How is that better?

24 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

...wait you are telling me that a line that has Charlie Johnson as the starting LT is better than what we have now?  A line that has 2 first rounders and a high level guard?  Lol...

Also his receivers were an aged Reggie (still really good) a young Garcon and a bunch of nobodies... How is that better?

That Collie guy was pretty good. And Clark was basically a WR...and that was his best season as a pro.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That Collie guy was pretty good. And Clark was basically a WR...and that was his best season as a pro.

Both of those guys were made by Manning hence why Clark couldn't survive anywhere else he went and Collie well he had to retire so his will be a story never told.