Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Jack Mewhort back on one year deal

MTC

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That could be it as well. They might know he won't be ready until a few games into the seasons. Maybe the Colts have given him some assurances that he wouldn't get elsewhere. 

Or it could just be that $1.5M with another $1.5M in incentives was the most he was being offered.

Or he likes being a Colt!

1 minute ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Or he likes being a Colt!

Could be. Seems like that would have been the easier to say. "I had other teams interested, but I am a Horseshoe guy and I am very excited for the new offense" or something like that. But instead, his quote was about confidence in his health.

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm just glad we are getting more help for Luck. 

Yes. It allows us to go into the draft and just take bpa. I think we will draft an OL but if we don't get Nelson and we take one in the second we should still be alright. Just like when we signed Autry...it allows us to go any direction if Chubb isn't there.

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

These little signings and re-signings are adding up. We should still have a solid amount of cap to add a handful more as well. Anyone have our current cap number after the Mewhort signing?

at max value: $70,116,929 as of the Mewhort signing

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thank you csmopar! We are still in fantastic shape then. :thmup:

Yep.  and think, there's 5 teams at are either over the cap for next year or very close to it.  Including the Giants, Bronocs, Jags, Eagles and Redskins.  With  10+ teams having less than 30 million.  Looking at this now, I can see why Ballard is being so stingy on cash this year. Assuming we spend another 10-15 million this year, leaves use roughly 55-60 million, plus being under the cap by 80-83 million for next year, we could be looking at nearly 140,000,000 UNDER the cap...

15 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep.  and think, there's 5 teams at are either over the cap for next year or very close to it.  Including the Giants, Bronocs, Jags, Eagles and Redskins.  With  10+ teams having less than 30 million.  Looking at this now, I can see why Ballard is being so stingy on cash this year. Assuming we spend another 10-15 million this year, leaves use roughly 55-60 million, plus being under the cap by 80-83 million for next year, we could be looking at nearly 140,000,000 UNDER the cap...

Clearly, Chris Ballard is looking at the BIG picture and to the future...not just focused on the upcoming season.  That's what smart people do.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

I know some on here have not gotten on the CB train yet....  I am 100% on board.

No other GM in the league can make this move. Signing an injury prone guard nobody else wants with no knees to a bargain deal like this. Truly incredible. 

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

No other GM in the league can make this move. Signing an injury prone guard nobody else wants with no knees to a bargain deal like this. Truly incredible. 

you sound like you need a hug

7 hours ago, Kyle said:

I know some on here have not gotten on the CB train yet....  I am 100% on board.

He is doing exactly what he's been saying since he got here.

1.  Get younger

2. Build from draft

3. Don't over-pay free agents

its pretty smart actually.  He is plugging holes with value guys he projects to be  good fits to temporarily fill positions until w can develop from within. These temporary contracts are team-friendly and are either 1 year deals or have no cap hit after a gear.  

I like how both years, he didnt get caught up in the initial crazy spending .  He waited, and things are getting done.  Maybe no "big names", but i am of the opinion that 90% of those dont live up to expectations.  Many (most?) seem to hurt teams more than help when you factor ALL things.

It really seems like he has a VERY clear vision and plan for this team.  It seems every move he makes is a clear reflection of this vision.  He doesnt se m all over the place.  Even thru the coaching fiasco, the PLAN remained consistent:

its a very refreshing attitude and exudes confidence.  And when i watch what Dorsey is doing in Cleveland, i see alot of similar traits.

and this is a good thing.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Nice signing, but I still hate 1 year deals, especially when we are building for a few years down the line.  

Agreed but I can’t see how anyone could give Jack anything longer in this. Maybe we can salvage a year or two out of him but he is on borrowed time now with his injuries.

Now when Chubb is gone and we trade down again with the Bills to 12 we can pick up a top Tackle (since the guard will be long gone) and the line will be in good shape... plus with the extra picks we can pick up an RB that will hopefully have us forgetting players we missed out on.  If we could haul in another extra 1 and maybe a 3 to go with the 12th pick we'd have most of our holes plugged. It might be hard to resign them all but that's a good problem to have.  

43 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Good move all around for the Colts. Bringing back a guy who knows the team and if healthy can play all 5 spots along the offensive line. Glad Mewhort is back in Indianapolis and hopefully, he can crack the starting lineup for the start of the 2018 season.

I'm actually hoping thew opposite.   I hope that Ballard improves the line enough that Mewhort doesn't make it into the starting lineup.   Unfortunately, the O-line is not better than it has been.