Report: Colts signing WR Ryan Grant

Virtuoso80

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

I would be all for that. We got the money and glaring need for playmakers. I'm not too familiar with Grant either, is he more of a slot?

I know little, to nothing, about him.

I've heard he has good hands, and that's it.

Hopefully, his routes are good. 

Those two would be a vast improvement over what we've lost.

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I would be all for that. We got the money and glaring need for playmakers. I'm not too familiar with Grant either, is he more of a slot?

I believe yes he worked out of the slot a lot. He was lauded for his route running and work ethic. Like the signing. Don't think he is going to be that 1000 yd receiver etc but should be a guy that can get separation and hold onto the ball for us....a chain mover hopefully...and that's ok. We are building from scratch here!

12 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Well, we need receivers. Reliable hands kinda guy, I'm good with that.

Now to see the numbers.

As a fan, I don’t care what the team pays him or anybody else ... beyond the general concept that I don’t want the team to become salary cap constrained from making moves down the road.  Ergo, I suspect the deal for Grant is quite meaningless in the big picture ... and I therefore consider it kind of silly for “fans” to worry as much as they do about individual salaries.

To be honest, I’d actually prefer if player salaries were treated as confidential matters and the only thing shared with the general public was the team’s aggregate payroll.

1 minute ago, azcolt said:

Ravens sign him, then void the deal based on an ankle injury and now we sign him. Either Ravens are playing games or we are getting desperate.

He failed their physical after Michael Crabtree was released by the Raiders. Crabtree signed with the Ravens. 

You deduce what happened. 

11 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Yawn 

As the old saying goes....we are more interested in winning games...not headlines. May not be the big name money guys as last week but this young man I think will do a good job helping us win games. Interested in his salary if we got him at a discount after Baltimore kinda screwed him for Crabtree. Like to see if his price came down.

1 minute ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Who is Hearns?  I kid, I know you meant Hurns.  :)

Isn't Hearns the really good fighter that Sugar Ray Leonard beat in that great fight. Believe his nickname was Hitman and was from Detroit.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Isn't Hearns the really good fighter that Sugar Ray Leonard beat in that great fight. Believe his nickname was Hitman and was from Detroit.

Im not old enough to know that, :)

edit: actually those were when i was in my single digit years.haha I had to google them.

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

5 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

edit: actually those were when i was in my single digit years.haha I had to google them.

You old geezers!

Lol I kid, I was born like 3 years after their first fight.

18 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Highlights from last year

Not sure about the music if it's explicit or not (im deaf), so be warned if it is. :)

Looks like a nice slot wr....should be a good #3 guy. Loved his hands....he just snatches that ball out of the air. Crisp routes and seemed to find the hole in zone defense well. Solid player.

7 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

That was some elite boxing...and guys weren't afraid of each other. Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Leonard....wow....good ol days!

His draft profile / selection analysis from when he was drafted ...

https://www.hogshaven.com/2014/5/13/5709856/washington-redskins-draft-profile-ryan-grant-wr

Bottom Line: While having only average size and speed, Grant understands how to play WR and works very hard.  He's a very reliable pass catcher.  He has experience in the slot and on the outside.  Isn't elite in any one area, and certainly wouldn't be called flashy, but he doesn't have any major weaknesses and is solid in most areas required of an NFL WR.  His routes and hands are both reliable and his production over the past two years speaks for itself.  Could end up being a nice #3 or #4 WR.  He's always been productive if also a bit boring.  Said to have one of the best pair of hands in the draft.

I like the pick.  Grant strikes me as what you want in a fifth round pick.  He's good at ST's and has great hands.  He's reliable and I like that.  He's got great hands which seems to be the most important skill/trait when it comes to playing WR and he's a great route runner, which is probably the second most important thing.  I think he'll be a ST's contributor from day one on the 'Skins and will compete to be our #4 or #5 WR.  Everyone knows Garcon, Jackson, and Roberts are locked in as our top three WR's, but this pick puts Hank, Moss, and Robinson on notice.  He'll be competing with those three, along with David Gettis, Nick Williams, and Dez Briscoe for the last two or three WR spots.  His hands, route running, reliability, and versatility (both in where he lines up and in his ability to contribute on offense and ST's) will help him have a chance.

So how has his actual performance since being drafted measure up to that draft analysis?