Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts signing WR Ryan Grant

Virtuoso80

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“He’s really strong, he’s in great shape, and he’s Mr. Consistent,” Gruden said last year of Grant, via Redskins.com. “Everything we ask him to do he does, and he does it right. No matter where he lines up, no matter what we ask him to do — he can come in the core and block the safety, whatever we want him to do, he can run whatever route from whatever position and he runs at the right depth, perfect angles coming out of them. He’s just ‘Steady Eddie,’ and that’s why I like him. I like consistent, smart players and that’s what Ryan is."

Great Signing, Reminds Me Of Marvin Harrison

6 minutes ago, ColtsBleedBlue said:

“He’s really strong, he’s in great shape, and he’s Mr. Consistent,” Gruden said last year of Grant, via Redskins.com. “Everything we ask him to do he does, and he does it right. No matter where he lines up, no matter what we ask him to do — he can come in the core and block the safety, whatever we want him to do, he can run whatever route from whatever position and he runs at the right depth, perfect angles coming out of them. He’s just ‘Steady Eddie,’ and that’s why I like him. I like consistent, smart players and that’s what Ryan is."

Great Signing, Reminds Me Of Marvin Harrison

That's quite an endorsement.

Ryan Grant is one of those guys that gets little credit because he has no flash and no sizzle. 

He was sometimes called “teachers pet” in DC because he was a coaches favorite and kept getting playing time because of it. 

Many people dont remember or

conveniently forget that he basically kept The Skins’ 1st round pick (Doctson) Parker on the bench for half a season as he started over him. And then when Doctson cracked the lineup, he made Pryor (their supposed #1 entering the year) sit for Doctson to play since he (Grant) was too steady and consistent for the Skins to bench. 

He will be a solid but unspectacular guy here. He will put in work and make plays and move the chains. Not a bad get. 

I like the pick up. Everyone's been talking as to the Colts having a lot of holes. This kid could fill one. He would need to just do more than Kamar Aiken and contribute on special teams and the progress would be there. I'm saying he can do that much.

7 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

Tommy “The Hitman” Hearns. I grew up watching boxing w/my Dad and Papaw. Awesome competition then. Hearns, Hagler, Chavez, Suger-Ray Leonord, Roberto Duran, Spinx, and many others. The Leonord/Duran bouts were my all-time favorites. 

I miss boxing. 

11 hours ago, bleevit said:

I like the pick up. Everyone's been talking as to the Colts having a lot of holes. This kid could fill one. He would need to just do more than Kamar Aiken and contribute on special teams and the progress would be there. I'm saying he can do that much.

Image result for image for setting the bar low

10 hours ago, ricker182 said:

Best signing so far.  

Great hands.  

Pretty good route runner.  

Average speed.  

It says a lot when are "best signing" is:

Pretty good route runner and average speed.

I like the signing except the 1 year term.   If we think he is that good, lock him up for 3 years while his price is cheap.  

19 hours ago, stitches said:

I'd love to hear your opinion whenever you get to watch him. 

I watched a couple of his 2016 games - Texas and Syracuse.  I agree with parts of your assessment and not others.  His lack of QBs did hurt him in 2017, I'll give him that.  But for as much size as the guy has, he's painfully thin.  It does look like he put on a few pounds since his last season at ND.  Even so, he probably needs to add 10 or 12 pounds.  He's a smooth route runner, but to a fault - his breaks aren't crisp and his burst out of them is inconsistent.  But those things can be cleaned up with coaching.  To be sure, he does show clear athleticism, though I don't see a quick twitch in him, and he shows an ability to create separation.  I just wished he did it more often which leads the bigger issue I have with him. 

You said he's great at catching contested balls, and I partially disagree.  The "catching" part of it he is good at, what I don't think he is great at is using his body to create separation (i.e. he doesn't use his size and length to his advantage).  At the beginning of the route he will at times gets knocked off his route or redirected easily, he doesn't push corners to commit or set them up to create separation.  Then, as it relates to attacking the ball, being 6'6" with a really impressive catch radius, I'd expect him to leverage his body to shield defenders from the ball way better than he does.  There was a few plays in the Syracuse game where it looked like he positioned himself to make a catch, but benefitted from uncalled offensive PIs.  Other uncontested catches, he almost looks passive going for the ball, at least to me.  Simmie Cobbs uses his body better than anyone in this class I've watched and I didn't see anything close to that in St. Brown's film.  He's not horrible at it, but it has plenty of room for improvement - adding the aformentioned 10-12 pounds and increasing his upper body strength will go a long way into making that more of a reality.   

If St. Brown did that and sold his fakes better and worked to position his body on jump balls better, he'd be a first round talent.  Still worhty of a 3rd round pick, maybe 2nd, but depending on his progression,his best case scenario is AJ Green, but his likely output is more like Jordan Matthews.

11 hours ago, coltsva said:

Image result for image for setting the bar low

This is not necessarily setting the bar low, but in a world where incremental positive changes can really help a team, this is one. I think the kid has some juice and might turn into something, and he was not expensive. Good pick.