Report: Colts signing WR Ryan Grant

Virtuoso80

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Yeah..... a camp body on a team with one proven WR. Make sense. Maybe we’ll just run 1 WR sets all season 

:sarcasm:

My point being we're bringing in Camp guys as potential starters now?   We're in real trouble at WR if this is the level of talent we're grabbing...  IMHO   

I sure hope we can get some young talent in the draft

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What is it you like about St. Brown?  I watched him a while back and I saw a red zone threat and that's about it.

You have to take this year of his play with a bit of salt since his QB was ... Brandon Wimbush who is horrible passing QB. He completed under 50% of his passes. Look at what he did in the previous year with Kizer(who still wasn't awesome, but was competent). 

Great size and length, very smooth runner with obvious athleticism, even if you ignore the size he still looks very smooth running. He is great catching contested balls and he also has some after the catch explosive traits. For such a huge receiver he averaged pretty good 16+ yards per catch. He had only 4.8% drop rate which is very good, which points to good hands. 

I also love him in the running game and on screens. His background and him having grown up in the weight rooms(his father is Mr. Olympia participant and Mr, Universe winner) shows up when he's blocking. 

He can improve his tracking of the ball and he sometimes catches the ball into his body, but he also has some good catches away from the body, so it's probably more a question of perfecting his technique. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

You have to take this year of his play with a bit of salt since his QB was ... Brandon Wimbush who is horrible passing QB. He completed under 50% of his passes. Look at what he did in the previous year with Kizer(who still wasn't awesome, but was competent). 

Great size and length, very smooth runner with obvious athleticism, even if you ignore the size he still looks very smooth running. He is great catching contested balls and he also has some after the catch explosive traits. For such a huge receiver he averaged pretty good 16+ yards per catch. He had only 4.8% drop rate which is very good, which points to good hands. 

I also love him in the running game and on screens. His background and him having grown up in the weight rooms(his father is Mr. Olympia participant and Mr, Universe winner) shows up when he's blocking. 

He can improve his tracking of the ball and he sometimes catches the ball into his body, but he also has some good catches away from the body, so it's probably more a question of perfecting his technique. 

I’m a DJ Chark & Allen Lazard fan myself, but I do like St. Brown 

9 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Well, for one, if he had "burned it up" in the past 5 years, he wouldn't be a FA.  Two, camp body?  Highly unlikely. 

Not necessarily true, he has what 6 TD's in 5 years?  2 Years without a TD   All I am saying is if this is the level of talent we're going to rely on to "make" the team, it's going to be a long year for us

3 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Meh. How many of these 1 year prove it receivers pan out with the Colts?  He’s just another body to fill out the 53. 

Hah , he’s not a star by any means , but Baltimore almost signed him for 4 years 29 million a couple days ago. We just got him for 1 year 5 million.

I’m pretty sure we want him to be more than “another body”.

12 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

Tommy “The Hitman” Hearns. I grew up watching boxing w/my Dad and Papaw. Awesome competition then. Hearns, Hagler, Chavez, Suger-Ray Leonord, Roberto Duran, Spinx, and many others. The Leonord/Duran bouts were my all-time favorites. 

no mass

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'll have to watch his 2016 tape, which I don't think I did.  I watched I think 2 2017 games and was unimpressed.  I'll give it another go because your take was not at all my recollection of what I thoguht I saw.

Incredibly reasonable price for this player. And I really like how he catches the ball: snatching it with his hands, many times extending for it. Not a flashy player, but may be a really good piece in our system who has a chance to stick for longer than just one year.

I like Ballard Ball.   He adds blue collar role players with nice athletic profiles on short leash contracts who are or should be hungry to prove themselves.  There's more incentive to perform well because if they do they are set up much better for the next FA period or for resigning with the team.    They don't come in with their bellies full.  Just about every FA signing that he did last year when we released them this year they got picked up and paid by another team.  This along with the Drafted players he's going to keep stacking on top of that.  All of our top shelf players are going to come from the draft and the Ballard Ball free agents help pace the competition. 

35 minutes ago, FicmanS said:

Not necessarily true, he has what 6 TD's in 5 years?  2 Years without a TD   All I am saying is if this is the level of talent we're going to rely on to "make" the team, it's going to be a long year for us

It's possible they cut him, they signed Locke last year to be the punter, but an UDFA beat him out.  However,  a one year, 5 million deal means he more than likely makes the team.

Better than Aiken I guess. I think I would have preferred Kendall Wright, but Grant should have a role.

Still need two WRs though...one on day two and another at some point. Maybe Ballard can find a post-hype guy who has a couple years of control that some team is willing to dump for a conditional late pick.

37 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Hah , he’s not a star by any means , but Baltimore almost signed him for 4 years 29 million a couple days ago. We just got him for 1 year 5 million.

I’m pretty sure we want him to be more than “another body”.

Baltimore realized how stupid their deal was and found a way out though.  

It’s a one year deal.....on a team with a mountain of money to spend.  How bad can this really be?

If you aren’t going to spend big money in FA this is what you will generally end up with unless you manage to draft a bunch of WRs that become stars.  

I think they still need to sign another FA WR and then draft someone else in Rd 3 or so. 

16 minutes ago, icf said:

It’s a one year deal.....on a team with a mountain of money to spend.  How bad can this really be?

If you aren’t going to spend big money in FA this is what you will generally end up with unless you manage to draft a bunch of WRs that become stars.  

I think they still need to sign another FA WR and then draft someone else in Rd 3 or so. 

Hurns just got released, so he's an option, and I agree, I think they go WR in round 3 or 4.

49 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Incredibly reasonable price for this player. And I really like how he catches the ball: snatching it with his hands, many times extending for it. Not a flashy player, but may be a really good piece in our system who has a chance to stick for longer than just one year.

48 minutes ago, krunk said:

I like Ballard Ball.   He adds blue collar role players with nice athletic profiles on short leash contracts who are or should be hungry to prove themselves.  There's more incentive to perform well because if they do they are set up much better for the next FA period or for resigning with the team.    They don't come in with their bellies full.  Just about every FA signing that he did last year when we released them this year they got picked up and paid by another team.  This along with the Drafted players he's going to keep stacking on top of that.  All of our top shelf players are going to come from the draft and the Ballard Ball free agents help pace the competition. 

40 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Last year he nearly doubled Moncrief's production, and we just got him for $5mil, whereas Moncrief got $10mil from the Jags.

Sorry....used my likes. Had to say "yes" to all. 

26 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Baltimore realized how stupid their deal was and found a way out though.  

Hah what?  Crabtree became available and conveniently Grant “ failed his physical”.

He isn’t a bad player, dude.