Report: Colts signing WR Ryan Grant

Virtuoso80

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

As a fan, I don’t care what the team pays him or anybody else ... beyond the general concept that I don’t want the team to become salary cap constrained from making moves down the road.  Ergo, I suspect the deal for Grant is quite meaningless in the big picture ... and I therefore consider it kind of silly for “fans” to worry as much as they do about individual salaries.

To be honest, I’d actually prefer if player salaries were treated as confidential matters and the only thing shared with the general public was the team’s aggregate payroll.

Yeah, I think we've all seen/been through this debate before.

For me, it's not something I get worked up about. It's an interesting aspect of the off-field side of things to follow during the offseason.

37 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I think we've all seen/been through this debate before.

For me, it's not something I get worked up about. It's an interesting aspect of the off-field side of things to follow during the offseason.

Yeah, basically I just care whether or not the player is good or not.  I don’t worry myself over micro-management issues, like salaries.  

5 minutes ago, MTC said:

Figured it would be a prove-it deal.

Hard not like this deal. Very team-friendly. 

I just wish it had an option for 2019. If he plays well I don't mind having the option to keep him...but this probably was structured this way to stay out of the compensatory range. Very crafty Chris.... I see what you did there!

22 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

As a fan, I don’t care what the team pays him or anybody else ... beyond the general concept that I don’t want the team to become salary cap constrained from making moves down the road.  Ergo, I suspect the deal for Grant is quite meaningless in the big picture ... and I therefore consider it kind of silly for “fans” to worry as much as they do about individual salaries.

To be honest, I’d actually prefer if player salaries were treated as confidential matters and the only thing shared with the general public was the team’s aggregate payroll.

NFLPA wouldn't want it.  

You would think they would but ultimately the way they get their players paid more money is by comparison.  

For example they are talking about inking Rodgers to a new deal.  You can bet he's going to be talking about the money Kirk Cousins got and expecting the Packers to beat that. 

Nice deal. Doesn't take away a compensatory pick for next year and fills a need for WR. We'll need at least one more WR through the draft or FA, but we are in better shape now then we were before. Ballard is starting to get things done. Almost a guarantee now we are drafting at least 2 O-Lineman in the draft.

Great addition.  He's really going to be motivated to get that long term deal again and with Luck it could happen.  And we will get the first shot at resigning him to a longer deal if it works out.  You can't ask for more than that.  A prove it deal that could easily prove out.

44 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Ravens sign him, then void the deal based on an ankle injury and now we sign him. Either Ravens are playing games or we are getting desperate.

He received a cut on his foot that became infected. Apparently this is what scared the Ravens from signing him. 

I suppose the Colts doctors don't see it as a big enough issue to keep him off the field.

Good deal compared to what he got paid by Baltimore. He must be * off and hungry to prove he's worth more. We got our slot receiver, now we need a big possession type of receiver. Hurns would be nice addition... or Eq.St Brown from the draft. 

29 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

almost twice the production in 2017 of Moncreif.....and at half the price of Moncreif, who got almost 10 mill. guaranteed......Ballard made a very smart move.

Unconfirmed related news: When at the Ravens facility Grant was suspected of taking a box of raisins.

Just now, stitches said:

Good deal compared to what he got paid by Baltimore. He must be * off and hungry to prove he's worth more. We got our slot receiver, now we need a big possession type of receiver. Hurns would be nice addition... or Eq.St Brown from the draft. 

What is it you like about St. Brown?  I watched him a while back and I saw a red zone threat and that's about it.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ebron?  Sounds like he could be a big, mismatch of a receiver.

1 minute ago, FicmanS said:

Yawn...   He's not really burned it up in his 5 years, camp body

Well, for one, if he had "burned it up" in the past 5 years, he wouldn't be a FA.  Two, camp body?  Highly unlikely. 

49 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Isn't Hearns the really good fighter that Sugar Ray Leonard beat in that great fight. Believe his nickname was Hitman and was from Detroit.

Tommy “The Hitman” Hearns. I grew up watching boxing w/my Dad and Papaw. Awesome competition then. Hearns, Hagler, Chavez, Suger-Ray Leonord, Roberto Duran, Spinx, and many others. The Leonord/Duran bouts were my all-time favorites.