Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread

GusFring

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we sit and do next to nothing the Jags are stocking up, filling holes and adding quality players. They had a hell of a lot less cap space but they found a way. The Viking added quality, the Eagles, Rams and Chiefs also. This reminds me of last year, we ended up signing a bunch of players, most of them "plan C" types that did little. That's what's going to happen again, just watch. Players that are back ups or seldom used players will be signed. If we sign Grant to that 30 million contract we are officially run by fools. The guy has done nothing his whole career, the Ravens got lucky..

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

For the record @FalseStart, I do love the title of the thread.

This team hasn't done nothing so far and its mind blowing all these holes cant be filled through one single draft and there are plenty of already proven players still on the open market that can help this team get better yet we don't sign any of them which leads me to believe another pathetic season next season.

6 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

This team hasn't done nothing so far and its mind blowing all these holes cant be filled through one single draft and there are plenty of already proven players still on the open market that can help this team get better yet we don't sign any of them which leads me to believe another pathetic season next season.

Interesting!!!

Yeah gonna merge this into the already existing complaint thread...

So we went from a guy who dumped substantial amounts of money into contracts of older proven vets over their prime who didn’t last on our team and I don’t think any of them are on our team to a guy who low balls everyone, is a cheap skate and Is bringing in depth type players for competition .... we cant even entertain big names because they know we are rebuilding mainly through the draft and are offering low 1-3 year prove it contracts and not a lot of $. 

Our secondary was horrible last year and we let our best CB walk.

we were either dead last or second to last in sacks 

our franchise QB has been injured and/or been out because we have failed to give him the best damn O line in the NFL ..... I’m usually not a pessimist but this ship is barely above water. 

My wife stopped off at SONIC on her way home from work and got me some cheese tots. 

They skimped. The container was hardly half full.

The guy dishing them out is new.

The guy he replaced used to be generous with the tots, but they were usually too old and stale.

3 minutes ago, Pelt said:

My wife stopped off at SONIC on her way home from work and got me some cheese tots. 

They skimped. The container was hardly half full.

The guy dishing them out is new.

The guy he replaced used to be generous with the tots, but they were usually too old and stale.

Lol

You got gypped on Tots???

Say it ain't so!!!

Inexcusable, I feel your pain!!!

& btw yeah, merging this

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Well - if I was you I wouldn't expect a SB run next even if we had a couple of high priced free agents.  So maybe you could just watch another team for a few years.

I don't care how good we are in 2018.  I do believe it is going to take at least another 2 years to be contenders.  Just my opinion and it might mean nothing.  But all these holes can't be filled trough one single draft and several expensive FA signings.  

13 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Well - if I was you I wouldn't expect a SB run next even if we had a couple of high priced free agents.  So maybe you could just watch another team for a few years.

I don't care how good we are in 2018.  I do believe it is going to take at least another 2 years to be contenders.  Just my opinion and it might mean nothing.  But all these holes can't be filled trough one single draft and several expensive FA signings.  

First: I do care how good we are in 2018 and so does everyone in that organization. It's not a "throw away" year for them, especially for Luck who will be thrilled to be back.

Second: We are in year #2 of the supposed rebuild -- second free agency with Ballard and second draft coming up. Per your own admission, there are still too many holes to fill and we can't fill them all. Is it unreasonable to think that by now there should be fewer holes to fill? However, allowing Melvin and Desir to walk does not help fill those holes. We drafted Mack, but we're still looking for a RB. We drafted Walker JR. but we're still looking for a LB. We signed Kamar Aiken, yet here we are still looking for his replacement at WR. We let Moncrief walk, creating a hole for WR#2/3. There are still many holes to fill and that is what has us worried. We can only see marginal improvement.

The expectations for this team to win a division and on into the playoffs is totally unrealistic.

A whole new coaching crew.

A roster that has holes all over it.

A second year GM who hasn't had the time to put his stamp on this team.

What roster is here is mostly young inexperienced players who haven't played much together.

Zero depth at most positions.

With all these problems making a big issue over high dollar free agents thinking they are the answer at this time is over reacting. Almost all high dollar free agents are just quick fix expensive band aids that will either be gone or will be getting to old to contribute by the time this team will be ready to be competitive. We have to be sure the coaching staff hires are the right ones that can bring the players together.

Not signing high dollar free agents at this time don't bother me at all. We need to sign young players who can learn how to play together as a unit. The only way that will happen is to stay the coarse Ballard has mapped and see how it works out.

With that said, we may be more competitive than some think.

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The expectations for this team to win a division and on into the playoffs is totally unrealistic.

What roster is here is mostly young inexperienced players who haven't played much together.

Most of the time I'd agree with this, but this is pretty much the very description and make-up of the team that went 11-5 in Luck's rookie year. 

Anything can happen. And I guess we're really needing it to, or hoping it does soon.

46 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Maybe not but not doing anything when you do have money to spend and you have to spend a certain% of it makes no sense.

3 minutes ago, Pelt said:

Most of the time I'd agree with this, but this is pretty much the very description and make-up of the team that went 11-5 in Luck's rookie year. 

Anything can happen. And I guess we're really needing it to soon.

Naturally we all want the Colts to win and be competitive. But we have to face the reality of what is going on right now.

Getting Luck back on the field might just fire up the competitive nature of the whole team. Getting your leader back can make a difference.

I agree with your comment about the description of what was being said about the Colts in Luck's rookie year.

I have seen stranger things happen. :thinking:

25 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Zero depth at most positions.

With all these problems making a big issue over high dollar free agents thinking they are the answer at this time is over reacting. Almost all high dollar free agents are just quick fix expensive band aids that will either be gone or will be getting to old to contribute by the time this team will be ready to be competitive. We have to be sure the coaching staff hires are the right ones that can bring the players together.

Not signing high dollar free agents at this time don't bother me at all. We need to sign young players who can learn how to play together as a unit. The only way that will happen is to stay the coarse Ballard has mapped and see how it works out.

With that said, we may be more competitive than some think.

I pretty much agree with this Post and the Jags look Great on paper regarding our Division. Having said that I don't put nothing past Andrew Luck if he's healthy. I picked us to win 5 games in 2012, thinking we would improve maybe 3 games or so from 2-14. We went 11-5 with a Bad Roster and nobody picked that. We had Luck/Reggie/Mathis/TY/Pat/Vinny and 40 other guys that were MEH. With Luck I think at worst we win 8 games even with the Roster we have, that is at worst. We lost 6 games by 7 points or less last season with some of the worst Defensive stats of all-time. With Luck who's to say we don't win those games?

2 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Interesting!!!

Yeah gonna merge this into the already existing complaint thread...

@Nadine

@Superman

@SteelCityColt

I am just going to stop posting for the weekend. 

Not because of the negative threads people create, but because of the merging of the threads. Every time I write up a thoughtful response, the thread gets merged or deleted. When I submit then it’s completely lost because the thread is moved. 

I think you guys are making a huge mistake to merge all of these threads. It’s way over the top. It’s a bigger overreaction than the threads to begin with. 

I haven’t even had any of my threads merged in this dump of a thread and it I still find it annoying. I can only imagine what others think about the process in place right now. 

Merging all these threads is a terrible idea. 

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I pretty much agree with this Post and the Jags look Great on paper regarding our Division. Having said that I don't put nothing past Andrew Luck if he's healthy. I picked us to win 5 games in 2012, thinking we would improve maybe 3 games or so from 2-14. We went 11-5 with a Bad Roster and nobody picked that. We had Luck/Reggie/Mathis/TY/Pat/Vinny and 40 other guys that were MEH. With Luck I think at worst we win 8 games even with the Roster we have, that is at worst. We lost 6 games by 7 points or less last season with some of the worst Defensive stats of all-time. With Luck who's to say we don't win those games?

We have to let things play out, I agree. 

The difference is winning came too fast and too quick re-setting our expectations with Luck, following the Peyton era, just wish our FA moves when Luck was in his rookie contract were like what the Eagles made or the Peyton era Broncos made. Like I said before, 49ers turned it around from Mike Singletary to Jim Harbaugh. Panthers went from 1-15 to the SB with MVP play from Cam Newton basically adding just Josh Norman. Things happen. It is all about the QB and maximizing play from the QB position and the offense, even though Ballard wants us to think it is not about 1 guy. Solid offense pretty much always gets you to the playoffs and the play makers on D put the cherry on top, come playoff time.

If our offense sustains drives, it could have been a different ball game in so many games. We can go yeah but...countless times. To speak the truth, I am disappointed a bit too with certain happenings in FA but you have to trust the guys with a plan. If Irsay is staying patient and giving Ballard enough of leeway, the least I can do is do the same, that is how I see it. If, after 3 years of Ballard, I do not see us rebuilt with a playoff berth, yeah, I am definitely concerned. It is like 3 strikes and you are out thing with me, with 1 year per strike.

1 hour ago, Crunked said:

almost overshot my lunch hour today reading all these posts..........epic!

Had to stop at the local church and throw up a prayer of thanks that some posters on here are not the Colts GM.....

Good times, Good times........

Coming from the guy who was ok with bringing Pagano back last season when I tried to tell you..You are a company man walk the line regardless. Smh

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

@Nadine

@Superman

@SteelCityColt

I am just going to stop posting for the weekend. 

Not because of the negative threads people create, but because of the merging of the threads. Every time I write up a thoughtful response, the thread gets merged or deleted. When I submit then it’s completely lost because the thread is moved. 

I think you guys are making a huge mistake to merge all of these threads. It’s way over the top. It’s a bigger overreaction than the threads to begin with. 

I haven’t even had any of my threads merged in this dump of a thread and it I still find it annoying. I can only imagine what others think about the process in place right now. 

Merging all these threads is a terrible idea. 

I agree, and hate it as well..Once a thread is merged I no longer follow..Its mods doing unnecessary things to feel important..

On 3/14/2018 at 6:32 AM, jshipp23 said:

Tom Coughlin is turning Jacksonville into a freaking Juggernaut...Meanwhile in Indianapolis we can't even resign our own good players or players with potential...So far this offseason we have done absolutely nothing to get better, but instead are too tight to even pay our own free agents...It looks bad..

ballard might think no positions needed upgraded.

Are The Colts trying to improve? I don't want them to overspend on players but come on. By the way Moncrief how much did he get cause it was to early to give up on him staying healthy. Him and Luck had something going until injuries raised their ugly head. 

4 minutes ago, RAM Stanger said:

Are The Colts trying to improve? I don't want them to overspend on players but come on. By the way Moncrief how much did he get cause it was to early to give up on him staying healthy. Him and Luck had something going until injuries raised their ugly head. 

We are already getting a reputation of being cheap and not trying to win..