Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread

GusFring

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record last year we didn't agree to a deal with any player before the actual FA started. Here's the timeline:

March 7-9 4pm Legal tampering period (this is where we are right now in the timeline) - no news on Colts agreeing with anybody in FA

March 9, 4pm, 2017 - Free agency starts. 

March 9 - Colts sign Barkevious Mingo

March 10 - Colts sign John Simon, Jeff Locke and Jabaal Sheard

March 13 - Colts sign Robert Turbin

March 14 - Colts sign Brian Schwenke and Margus Hunt

March 16 - Colts sign Al Woods

March 19,20,21 Colts sign Sean Spence, Brandon Williams, Kamar Aiken

April 13 Colts sign Jonathan Hankins

April 20 Colts sign Jon Bostic

Just for some perspective. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

For the record last year we didn't agree to a deal with any player before the actual FA started. Here's the timeline:

March 7-9 4pm Legal tampering period (this is where we are right now in the timeline) - no news on Colts agreeing with anybody in FA

Perspective?  That is something there is very little of in this forum.

47 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I agree that's where I'm at too the other 3 teams in our division were already better then us before FA now they get even more help plus sure there is the draft but those 3 get picks too plus the 5 top FA they got

I really hope Irsay gives Ballard time if he only really wants to build through the draft then it will honestly take quite a bit of time for this rebuild and I like how Ballard drafts just hope his slow approach doesn't get him canned early 

Hopefully Ballard is taking this slow building approach for the good of the franchise and not for his own selfish reasons.  If he sold Irsay on a slow rebuild, Ballard could buy more job security for himself and extend his timetable for actually having to produce results.  In today’s NFL it doesn’t take a competent GM long to become competitive if he wants to become competitive.  Ballard’s slow building approach potentially consumes away Luck’s prime years...if he remains in Indianapolis in the future.  Ballard needs to be cautious and methodical in this rebuild but he can not be slow about it.  

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Hopefully Ballard is taking this slow building approach for the good of the franchise and not for his own selfish reasons.  If he sold Irsay on a slow rebuild, Ballard could buy more job security for himself and extend his timetable for actually having to produce results.  In today’s NFL it doesn’t take a competent GM long to become competitive if he wants to become competitive.  Ballard’s slow building approach potentially consumes away Luck’s prime years...if he remains in Indianapolis in the future.  Ballard needs to be cautious and methodical in this rebuild but he can not be slow about it.  

Selfish reasons? 

Irsay has been around the block a time or two. No one is selling him anything.

Just stop.

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

Lol, 3 out of those 10 were pretty good. The others not so much.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Selfish reasons? 

Irsay has been around the block a time or two. No one is selling him anything.

Just stop.

Ok CC1 you took offense when I said stuff to you in the past  like “ just stop” so please don’t turn around and do the same to me.  We can both make our points without that.  Thanks.

Also I said hopefully it’s not for selfish reasons.  But it is not outside of the realm of possibility.  It’s a business and no one really knows another’s true motives.  

7 hours ago, Superman said:

That's partly the point. Not everything is thread worthy. 

I don't want to stifle [good] conversation, but I don't think merging a bunch of threads that are all saying the same basic thing will do that. 

Cherry picked, and took what I said out of context. :D 

I have no problem with merging threads of the same title and even said so. The issue I have is when we merge “We should sign Player A” with “We should sign Player B” and call it “All players we should sign”. 

Those are different conversations and in my opinion, getting too merge happy causes people not to participate on a board. If that’s the goal then it’s working. Like I said, the last post on the first page of the Colts board is 4 days old. That’s sad.

Like I also said, I don’t make those decisions. Just offering my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ok CC1 you took offense when I said stuff to you in the past  like “ just stop” so please don’t turn around and do the same to me.  We can both make our points without that.  Thanks.

Also I said hopefully it’s not for selfish reasons.  But it is not outside of the realm of possibility.  It’s a business and no one really knows another’s true motives.  

I didn't take offense at all. Just pointing out that Irsay has seen just about everything there has to be seen and is not incompetent.

Ballard didn't get his reputation by being selfish or self centered.

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Cherry picked, and took what I said out of context. :D 

I have no problem with merging threads of the same title and even said so. The issue I have is when we merge “We should sign Player A” with “We should sign Player B” and call it “All players we should sign”. 

Those are different conversations and in my opinion, getting too merge happy causes people not to participate on a board. If that’s the goal then it’s working. Like I said, the last post on the first page of the Colts board is 4 days old. That’s sad.

Like I also said, I don’t make those decisions. Just offering my opinion. 

:scratch:

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

If PETA gave out medals for falls with panache. that little rascal would take home the gold. Priceless just priceless.

I know; I know. SW1 is going straight to hades. I hope he's okay. I'm not heartless ya know. Ok, I'm done now.

Naw dude. Its hilarious. It wouldnt be so funny except he goes end over end in mid-air. One time my dog was on a leash and he thought he wasnt I guess, so he made a beeline toward the apartment. Well, he was still on the leash and when he got to the end of it, it was like a grenade or mine blew up at his feet. He was rotating 360 degrees horizontally and upsidedown. After about 3 full roations in midair, he finally landed and only his head popped of the ground and he looked at me like, "wth did you do?!"

Laughed till I cried for a good 30 minutes.

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I kind of see that. But think it’s used way too much. Pretty soon we are going to have a thread for the draft, another for free agency, and maybe one for the entire preseason. 

You mean like posting the same topic as someone else, but instead of it being in the negative, it's in the affirmative?  I tire of having the same thread and people could just revive old threads, but instead of continuing the conversation, start a new thread.  If they were better about starting threads and creating topics then they wouldn't get merged.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I didn't take offense at all. Just pointing out that Irsay has seen just about everything there has to be seen and is not incompetent.

Ballard didn't get his reputation by being selfish or self centered.

I didn’t say in my post that Irsay is incompetent.  He is however prone to seeing what he wants to see sometimes. 

Ballard’s reputation is a good one.  Let’s see how he handles the rest of free agency and the rebuild. It shouldn’t take that long to make the Colts competitive again if that is his goal.  He has money and draft capital at his disposal and a franchise QB waiting in the wings.  He shouldn’t be given forever before he faces accountability for producing results. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I didn’t say in my post that Irsay is incompetent.  He is however prone to seeing what he wants to see sometimes. 

Ballard’s reputation is a good one.  Let’s see how he handles the rest of free agency and the rebuild. It shouldn’t take that long to make the Colts competitive again if that is his goal.  He has money and draft capital at his disposal and a franchise QB waiting in the wings.  He shouldn’t be given forever before he faces accountability for producing results. 

You calling Irsay prone to seeing things he wants to see is just a perspective that some have that seems to include you.

All that is, is another way of thinking he is incompetent.

Irsay is eccentric but not incompetent.

He is very loyal to a point of extreme but that is just a part of him he chooses to be because of his self appointed desire to be different than his father.

No one who has ever worked for him has anything negative to say about him. That is what makes him who he is.

30 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You mean like posting the same topic as someone else, but instead of it being in the negative, it's in the affirmative?  I tire of having the same thread and people could just revive old threads, but instead of continuing the conversation, start a new thread.  If they were better about starting threads and creating topics then they wouldn't get merged.

Nope. That’s not what I am talking about at all. I agree with merging threads that are on the same micro level. However, merging threads on macro level is, in my opinion, too much. 

23 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

You’re absolutely correct. We are all at least somewhat biased in our own beliefs and vision. That includes Jim Irsay. 

Your words should not have been twisted to say that you think Irsay is incompetent. You merely disagreed with him. 

I have never met a single person who I agreed with everything on. Maybe 99%, but not everything. It sure doesn’t make me or anyone else incompetent because we disagree on 1%. Your words should not have been taken out of context to appear so. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Bro Free agency start on March 14 every year lol not the 9th

4 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

Bro! You are wrong:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000765416/article/national-football-league-important-dates-for-2017

March 7-9 -- Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2016 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9.

March 9 -- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2017 on all players who have option clauses in their 2016 contracts.

March 9 -- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

March 9 -- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2016 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free agency credit.

March 9 -- Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2017 salary cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 9 -- All 2016 player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

March 9 -- The 2017 league year and free agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

The first day of the 2017 league year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9. Clubs will receive a personnel notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 9.

March 9 -- Trading period for 2017 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

15 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Nope. That’s not what I am talking about at all. I agree with merging threads that are on the same micro level. However, merging threads on macro level is, in my opinion, too much. 

It seems to me you dont understand. Topics arent merged on a "macro" level in the way you were complaining about. There isnt just one free agency thread. There are many of them. About many different players, or contracts, of GMs or rumors. You are needlessly bifurcating thread topics into some grand scheme. 

Its not a difficult analysis, certainly not as difficult as you frame the issue.  What is your post about? Is there a post that is on the same exact topic? If yes, merge. If not, then its fine. No one wants a thread about "Jags sign Norwell" and then a second thread about "Our line sucks because Jags got Norwell." 

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I keep telling myself to ignore the noise on the forum, and then I get dragged back in by someone saying "Ballard has failed in free agency" or something like that.

I don't recall seeing that.   Currently failing I would say is accurate.   It's not over though.  Teams in the division have gotten better and have left the Colts in their dust.   So it is correct that Ballard is currently losing.   We'll see what he does to catch up.   I was hoping we would get Hyde at RB so we didn't need to use a draft pick on a RB.  Lewis would have been OK too.   

I'm not giving up on Ballard yet, but he needs to get something done this week.   We don't have enough draft picks to fill all the holes and this team has no depth anywhere. 

39 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Simon, Hankins, and Sheard. 

Mate, I get that you are trying to make a point, but to say that Woods was not a good signing does more damage than good for your point.

I may not be on the @stitches side of saying I love almost all of them but there were plenty of things to like from that group, especially with the cost involved.  I, for one, thought Bostic got a bad rap on here.  Is he the long term solution, absolutely not, but he did an OK job in a bridge year to a new defensive set up.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

It seems to me you dont understand. Topics arent merged on a "macro" level in the way you were complaining about. There isnt just one free agency thread. There are many of them. About many different players, or contracts, of GMs or rumors. You are needlessly bifurcating thread topics into some grand scheme. 

Its not a difficult analysis, certainly not as difficult as you frame the issue.  What is your post about? Is there a post that is on the same exact topic? If yes, merge. If not, then its fine. No one wants a thread about "Jags sign Norwell" and then a second thread about "Our line sucks because Jags got Norwell." 

Sometimes threads are merged on a macro level here. I have seen it many times. 

Like I said, I don’t have any problem with merging threads of the exact same topic (micro level), but merging things on a macro level is a little over the top. Just my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I disagree with the bolded. The U.S. is mostly still a capitalism country where everyone isn't equal. The people who work hard, go to college, and make something out of their life are better than others who are high school dropouts and work at McDonalds. I have a lot more respect for a doctor than I do a McDonalds worker. They offer a much more valuable service, and they worked much harder to get there as well as make more money. They are a much more valuable person to society.

1. You should respect everyone.  Not necessarily their ideas, but as people.

2. Everybody has value.

10 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just to pile on for fun.

In 2016, it started 3/16.

2015, on 3/10

2014, on 3/11

2013, 3/12

2012, 3/12

2011, lockeout began 3/11

Didnt care to go back further because Im wondering why you thought it "always" started on 3/14. Not even poking fun anymore.

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Sometimes threads are merged on a macro level here. I have seen it many times. 

Like I said, I don’t have any problem with merging threads of the exact same topic (micro level), but merging things on a macro level is a little over the top. Just my opinion. 

When you say macro level, you are doing nothing to clarify it. The only exple was having a "draft" thread and a "free agency" thread. As you can see thats not the case. Perhaps you give a better example. 

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

When you say macro level, you are doing nothing to clarify it. The only exple was having a "draft" thread and a "free agency" thread. As you can see thats not the case. Perhaps you give a better example. 

Actually I already did clarify it. Please re-read my posts on this subject. 

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Im not going to hunt for it. Create better threads and it wont get merged. Simple as that.

Another assumption that you are making is that I created any of these threads. I didn’t. I even pointed that out earlier as well. 

For the record, threads that I make do not typically get merged. 

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Another assumption that you are making is that I created any of these threads. I didn’t. I even pointed that out earlier as well. 

For the record, threads that I make do not typically get merged. 

I didnt make that assumption. It wasnt even relevant to the discussion.

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Everyone does have value, but not the same amount.   That was his point.  

It's a subjective value, one that I do not necessarily share unless we are strictly talking about income.  There are other ways to value a person.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ballard's personnel acquisition method is tied to his personal job security?  Dude.