Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Merge] Colts free agency complaints and overreaction thread

GusFring

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We are already getting a reputation of being cheap and not trying to win..

What is wrong with Ballard is he in a drug-induced haze. This is not his money for one and Irsay is willing to spend I mean Irsay has got to be questioning what's going on here. If we just go through the draft it's going to take at least 3 or more years just to get back to respectability. and that's only if most of our draft picks pan out and that's not a guarantee either. He keeps losing free agents, not including our own. He absolutely has no respect for Luck's career if he excepts him to wait around for this draft rebuild.  

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

@Nadine

@Superman

@SteelCityColt

I am just going to stop posting for the weekend. 

Not because of the negative threads people create, but because of the merging of the threads. Every time I write up a thoughtful response, the thread gets merged or deleted. When I submit then it’s completely lost because the thread is moved. 

I think you guys are making a huge mistake to merge all of these threads. It’s way over the top. It’s a bigger overreaction than the threads to begin with. 

I haven’t even had any of my threads merged in this dump of a thread and it I still find it annoying. I can only imagine what others think about the process in place right now. 

Merging all these threads is a terrible idea. 

i like the merging of the threads now we can say anything and its not off topic.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Nothing...getting worse..signing 5th tier dlineman to 8 million a year deals..

Geez... I was at least hoping we'd get Jensen so we'd have an O-Lineman as an upgrade. Very surprised we didn't close that deal. Seemed like it was easy after he left TB. This is bad.

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

What is wrong with Ballard is he in a drug-induced haze. This is not his money for one and Irsay is willing to spend I mean Irsay has got to be questioning what's going on here. If we just go through the draft it's going to take at least 3 or more years just to get back to respectability. and that's only if most of our draft picks pan out and that's not a guarantee either. He keeps losing free agents, not including our own. He absolutely has no respect for Luck's career if he excepts him to wait around for this draft rebuild.  

No we had 3 visits today and have 2 more on sunday they are probably still negotiating js

15 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

So are you happy with the moves we are making?

I have a life to lead, kids to raise, a job to do - this stuff is not even remotely close to getting as worked up as many on here are.  

To your question

1) Ballard said this is the process he was go through so why it is surprise to anyone is a mystery.  Free agency is supposed to supplement your roster not be the primary building tool.

2) They are not alone in their approach to free agency.

3) History has shown that winning March and winning in the Fall do not necessarily correlate.  I've heard so many former execs talk about the inherent dangers of free agency. 

4) I like the fact that Ballard has a belief in what a position or player is worth and clearly does not exceed that.  That discipline will serve the team well in the future.

5) I have been struck at some of the stupid money given to really marginal players and am not disappointed at all that Ballard chose to not pay a freaking guard the money that Norwell got.  I am genuinely curious if the majority on here had even heard of him before this offseason. 

6) Free agency is not over.  They will add players and their roster will be better.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Ask them what?

If spending $$ in free agency translates to winning..Carr was hurt but otherwise Raiders will be contenders this yr..Jax is most talented team in league..Wish we had Coughlin instead of Ballards cheap butt..

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your crystal ball only tells you want you want to hear.

Look at it differently and it may look different.

Its not telling me what would be wishful thinking that this team wins 10 games next season but that would be wishful thinking because you and I both know that flat out isn't happening.

10 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I have a life to lead, kids to raise, a job to do - this stuff is not even remotely close to getting as worked up as many on here are.  

To your question

1) Ballard said this is the process he was go through so why it is surprise to anyone is a mystery.  Free agency is supposed to supplement your roster not be the primary building tool.

2) They are not alone in their approach to free agency.

3) History has shown that winning March and winning in the Fall do not necessarily correlate.  I've heard so many former execs talk about the inherent dangers of free agency. 

4) I like the fact that Ballard has a belief in what a position or player is worth and clearly does not exceed that.  That discipline will serve the team well in the future.

5) I have been struck at some of the stupid money given to really marginal players and am not disappointed at all that Ballard chose to not pay a freaking guard the money that Norwell got.  I am genuinely curious if the majority on here had even heard of him before this offseason. 

6) Free agency is not over.  They will add players and their roster will be better.

No not happy this is ridiculous there is no way the guys we have are better than who is on the open market right now.

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

If spending $$ in free agency translates to winning..Carr was hurt but otherwise Raiders will be contenders this yr..Jax is most talented team in league..Wish we had Coughlin instead of Ballards cheap butt..

Jacksonville spending huge in free agency last year and getting GREAT ROI from all of their signings is absolutely the exception and not the rule.

They also believe they are a few pieces away from contending.  Clearly that is not the case with the Colts.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

@Nadine

@Superman

@SteelCityColt

I am just going to stop posting for the weekend. 

Not because of the negative threads people create, but because of the merging of the threads. Every time I write up a thoughtful response, the thread gets merged or deleted. When I submit then it’s completely lost because the thread is moved. 

I think you guys are making a huge mistake to merge all of these threads. It’s way over the top. It’s a bigger overreaction than the threads to begin with. 

I haven’t even had any of my threads merged in this dump of a thread and it I still find it annoying. I can only imagine what others think about the process in place right now. 

Merging all these threads is a terrible idea. 

Maybe people need to look at the threads already started and not start another thread saying the same thing?

Blaming it on the mods when it's the members that cant read what is already there is pointing a finger at the wrong ones.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe people need to look at the threads already started and not start another thread saying the same thing?

Blaming it on the mods when it's the members that cant read what is already there is pointing a finger at the wrong ones.

I agree with merging threads that have the same topic. But this over-the-top. Any negative comment and the thread is merged here. This is crazy.

I am out for the weekend. I am going to go do something else. You all enjoy. 

This is a huge overpay for a one year starter at center.  Now the highest paid center in the league. I can't blame Ballard for this.  I wasn't expecting that kind of contract.  He can still get Pugh and maybe The Patriots young RT as well. We know he's trying for Pugh so hopefully he can get him signed.   I wanted to trade for James when the Dolphins were shopping him at his 9.5m salary but they came to their senses.  Maybe they will still trade him. You can always inquire.   All I know he has to shore up this OL. or Luck is going to have a hard time not getting injured again with what we currently have.  If we stay at 3 Nelson is an absolute lock as our pick if Ballard can't improve our line.  Even if we trade back it looks OL is going to become a higher priority than I would have thought of originally.  I'm still  hoping Ballard can still improve our OL line.  We will know real soon now.   What!  They merged this thread too.  Must be the mods are on the payroll. 

Maybe C Ball is making decent offers to these guys. They're probably of the team friendly kind, but What are the chances that they keep hearing about rebuild, lack of talent, etc, which ultimately leads to losing? Sure they want paid, but any athlete is a competitor and hate losing. Why come to Indy of all places to lose? Maybe we should change our tune a bit about our team. I for one didnt think we were too far off from being decent based upon the amount of close games till the 4th quarter. Most of those collapses was due to play calling. Is this team and the city that dam terrible? 

I just want some offensive line signings of above average talent. Hell I'd even take avg at this point. We have a franchise QB. I believe that if Ballard had any fear of not having Andrew for this season we would be more involved in FA. But having a franchise QB, takes a lot of pressure off. 

Also if you have a coach that can bring the best out in his players, there is really no reason not to mainly draft your players. He wants loyalty to the team, and that's through home grown guys as he puts it. I'm completely on board with this line of thinking. 

We have watched Grigson sign some players in FA, and 90% of them plain sucked on our team. 

I want ant to see us go back to drafting our team. We went to 2 SBs with that way of doing things. 

Having Frank bring back the no huddle offense, and speeding up the game will help the oline by leaps and bounds. The Colts FO, might not think we are that far off, on the oline, with a quick paced game. We will see. 

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is a huge overpay for a one year starter at center.  Now the highest paid center in the league. I can't blame Ballard for this.  I wasn't expecting that kind of contract.  He can still get Pugh and maybe The Patriots young RT as well. We know he's trying for Pugh so hopefully he can get him signed.   I wanted to trade for James when the Dolphins were shopping him at his 9.5m salary but they came to their senses.  Maybe they will still trade him. You can always inquire.   All I know he has to shore up this OL. or Luck is going to have a hard time not getting injured again with what we currently have.  If we stay at 3 Nelson is an absolute lock as our pick if Ballard can't improve our line.  Even if we trade back it looks OL is going to become a higher priority than I would have thought of originally.  I'm still  hoping Ballard can still improve our OL line.  We will know real soon now.   What!  They merged this thread too.  Must be the mods are on the payroll. 

Bottom line is they aren't overpaid man..That is new going rate..Salary cap goes up, salaries increase, so really you have same restrictions. Nature of the beast..

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I just want some offensive line signings of above average talent. Hell I'd even take avg at this point. We have a franchise QB. I believe that if Ballard had any fear of not having Andrew for this season we would be more involved in FA. But having a franchise QB, takes a lot of pressure off. 

Also if you have a coach that can bring the best out in his players, there is really no reason not to mainly draft your players. He wants loyalty to the team, and that's through home grown guys as he puts it. I'm completely on board with this line of thinking. 

We have watched Grigson sign some players in FA, and 90% of them plain sucked on our team. 

I want ant to see us go back to drafting our team. We went to 2 SBs with that way of doing things. 

Having Frank bring back the no huddle offense, and speeding up the game will help the oline by leaps and bounds. The Colts FO, might not think we are that far off, on the oline, with a quick paced game. We will see. 

Ballard could also think that there’s a 50-50 chance that Luck may not play or may not be 100% if he does play so why bother spending on high priced free agents. 

7 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Bottom line is they aren't overpaid man..That is new going rate..Salary cap goes up, salaries increase, so really you have same restrictions. Nature of the beast..

An 11 million dollar increase for 53 players don't amount to that much.

That only averages one good players salary.

14 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Ballard could also think that there’s a 50-50 chance that Luck may not play or may not be 100% if he does play so why bother spending on high priced free agents. 

Oh the other side of the coin. So is it heads or tails? No one knows... 

According to Albert Breer ,  in this years FA  Solder became the highest paid OT at 15.5m, Norwell the highest paid G at 13.3, and Jensen the highest paid C at 10.5.   The big question now is whether Ballard is prepared to pay Pugh in the 10m area and Fleming close to that?   At least now he knows he's not overpaying!    PS. It still ticks me off we didn't trade for Miami's RT James and his 9.5m salary when they were desperate in moving him.  That looks pretty cheap now.   They cut Suh and a few others and that ship has apparently sailed. 

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Coming from the guy who was ok with bringing Pagano back last season when I tried to tell you..You are a company man walk the line regardless. Smh

ahhh yes when the alternatives were slim and none, I went with slim.....those were the days....if you want to bring it full circle, I was against hiring McDaniels this year because I wanted a coach with scruples, funny how that sitch turned out.......guilty.....as......charged.

I think people got it in their minds that Ballard was going to go out and sign all these big names and they would come here because the Colts had money and things would turn around fast.

People havent been listening to Ballard who keeps saying he wants to build through the draft and that he wasn’t going to over pay for people and that they were going to build this thing the “right way”.  What Ballard is saying is that this probably isn’t going to be an overnight turn around and Ballard knows you get much value by hitting on your draft picks and then keeping them down the road.  

Also keep in mind Irsay just saw what happens if you turns things around “too fast”. It’s almost fools gold because you don’t have the foundation to sustain it and don’t have the draft picks to get the foundation.  So I think a longer rebuild might be what Irsay wants.

Now add in the fact Ballard did try to get a couple free agents and they opted not to sign with the Colts and the fans are in an uproar because the Colts aren’t doing what a lot of fans had in their minds despite Ballard telling them it wasn’t going to go that way.

4 hours ago, Flash7 said:

First: I do care how good we are in 2018 and so does everyone in that organization. It's not a "throw away" year for them, especially for Luck who will be thrilled to be back.

Second: We are in year #2 of the supposed rebuild -- second free agency with Ballard and second draft coming up. Per your own admission, there are still too many holes to fill and we can't fill them all. Is it unreasonable to think that by now there should be fewer holes to fill? However, allowing Melvin and Desir to walk does not help fill those holes. We drafted Mack, but we're still looking for a RB. We drafted Walker JR. but we're still looking for a LB. We signed Kamar Aiken, yet here we are still looking for his replacement at WR. We let Moncrief walk, creating a hole for WR#2/3. There are still many holes to fill and that is what has us worried. We can only see marginal improvement.

If Ballard is doing his job he is looking at EVERY other position also. Cus its not about just ONE GUY. 

Some of these guys CHOSE to walk. 

Kinda like making $10 an hour and boss says here is a .10 raise. You feel thats not enough so you go to another company for $9.75.  

Here is all I can say at this point.  

After watching Ballard perform now, from last years draft and FA signings to the Tolzien fiasco to the McDaniels blunder to this years FA signings...

Ballard is in way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  over his head.

It is literally like he is so afraid of doing anything because he is afraid to make another mistake that he has become a comatose man.

That is no way to run an NFL franchise.

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Depends on WHO you ask.In my opinion they are all over paid. But thats just me. I'm sure teachers and those who wear uniforms would probably say the same. But lets not go down that road.  

2 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Here is all I can say at this point.  

After watching Ballard perform now, from last years draft and FA signings to the Tolzien fiasco to the McDaniels blunder to this years FA signings...

Ballard is in way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  over his head.

It is literally like he is so afraid of doing anything because he is afraid to make another mistake that he has become a comatose man.

That is no way to run an NFL franchise.

Nah I think its a guy who has a plan and sticking to it. 

4 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Nah I think its a guy who has a plan and sticking to it. 

There doesn't seem to be a plan,

That is the point.

Unless the plan is to spend as little money as possible to improve the ball club.

People can talk all they want about improving through the draft,  But cmon, even the best drafts are a crap shoot.  You are lucky if you can get 2 to 3 starters out of any draft, and 1 really good player.  To think you are going to improve this team through 2 drafts to the point where they can compete for the playoffs is crazy talk.  Look at last year.....a few decent players, maybe a really good one in Hooker, but even he is a risk.

When you have a very weak OL, a franchise QB who has been hurt because of that OL, $70 M to spend, and you do nothing to improve that line???

That is insanity.

3 minutes ago, threeflight said:

There doesn't seem to be a plan,

That is the point.

Unless the plan is to spend as little money as possible to improve the ball club.

People can talk all they want about improving through the draft,  But cmon, even the best drafts are a crap shoot.  You are lucky if you can get 2 to 3 starters out of any draft, and 1 really good player.  To think you are going to improve this team through 2 drafts to the point where they can compete for the playoffs is crazy talk.  Look at last year.....a few decent players, maybe a really good one in Hooker, but even he is a risk.

When you have a very weak OL, a franchise QB who has been hurt because of that OL, $70 M to spend, and you do nothing to improve that line???

That is insanity.

It’s also insane to get worked up about football, and it’s even more insane to get upset about trivial things you can’t control. 

Maybe Ballard wants to see what this new coaching staff does for the players we already have. Not to mention I think last year Ballard made more splashes once cuts were being made during the first of the season and during camp.