Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins to possibly release Suh

No... He'll want too much money and frankly, he's not worth it.  I'm surprised Miami is releasing him though, his cap hit if on the roster is 26 mil, if cut, they still pay 23 mil of that and only saves them 3 million and change.   now if they designate him a June 1 cut but his contract becomes guaranteed March 19th so im not sure how that'd work.

I wouldn't mind having him if the money could be structured to where it benefited the team. Problem is I'm not sure that's possible. Hes still a very durable player, has no off the field problems and in his worse year he still collected 4 plus sacks. Still gets great push on the pocket.

When he’s engaged, he changes games. But , are we a good fit? I’m not so sure.

Miami (outside of the money) was never a good place for him to sign. I’d like to see him play for a team that knows what they’re doing. Maybe the Vikings , or even the 49ers.

I'd proceed with caution.  He's still a productive player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and has a history of being a dirty player.  Maybe offer a short term deal with a lower salary, but I certainly wouldn't want a huge investment into him.  In addition, with how much emphasis Ballard has put on character, I highly doubt the Colts pursue him

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'm surprised Miami is releasing him though, his cap hit if on the roster is 26 mil, if cut, they still pay 23 mil of that and only saves them 3 million and change.   now if they designate him a June 1 cut but his contract becomes guaranteed March 19th so im not sure how that'd work.

That's why they aren't going to cut him. they can designated him as post-june release but it won't help their cap issues now. He's staying.

Beyond costing WAY too much money...   the teams he's on typically struggle to make the playoffs...

I think Detroit did once....

I think Miami has once... 

Once Suh is on your roster,  your roster takes a beating and is never the same.

If this rumor is true, then the two teams who know Suh best had him,  and let walk...

This should tell you something...

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Beyond costing WAY too much money...   the teams he's on typically struggle to make the playoffs...

I think Detroit did once....

I think Miami has once... 

Once Suh is on your roster,  your roster takes a beating and is never the same.

If this rumor is true, then the two teams who know Suh best had him,  and let walk...

This should tell you something...

Lol.. he played for the Lions and Dolphins ... you think it was his fault?

If you don’t want him on the Colts , fine, but at least give a logical reason.

15 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

He's a dirty player, but still Elite. He's owed 16.9M, 18.9M, and 18.3M over the next 3 seasons. This team could do that. I'm on the fence about it. We could use that talent, but we have to put up with that character....

If he came as a FA those numbers wouldn’t matter 

36 minutes ago, Trueman said:

Lol.. he played for the Lions and Dolphins ... you think it was his fault?

If you don’t want him on the Colts , fine, but at least give a logical reason.

The logical reason is that he takes up quarterback money and doesn't play quarterback.   And he does not play defensive end, or cornerback. 

But he he takes up too much money yet doesn't give you your money's worth.   Suh is a very good player.  But, if this rumor is true,  two teams that have had him have decided he's not worth the money.

What does that tell you?

We will have to cut enough DL bodies to make room for Suh as well. Suh will fit the UT role well, 1-gapping and having a guy in the middle to force a double team but could it be that he that he takes plays off that is the reason why his production was not what it used to be?

15 1/2 sacks in three seasons is not really worth the price paid, IMO. Too expensive to take the gamble right now. Our highest paid DL is Hankins at $10 mil., and he will want more than that with any new team. 

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The logical reason is that he takes up quarterback money and doesn't play quarterback.   And he does not play defensive end, or cornerback. 

But he he takes up too much money yet doesn't give you your money's worth.   Suh is a very good player.  But, if this rumor is true,  two teams that have had him have decided he's not worth the money.

What does that tell you?

Agreed. Suh takes up too much of the cap and handicaps you from building a solid team. It makes it difficult to build around him when he's getting QB money.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

What does that tell you?

It tells me that he played for 2 terrible franchises.

Yeah, the money he received in Miami was too much for a DT, but even if he was more reasonably paid, that franchise has no idea what it’s doing.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But, if this rumor is true,  two teams that have had him have decided he's not worth the money.

What does that tell you?

More so, if the Dolphins are willing to take $23M in dead cap space to cut him, I want no part of him. That says a LOT about his presence in the locker room and the value he brings to the team.

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

More so, if the Dolphins are willing to take $23M in dead cap space to cut him, I want no part of him. That says a LOT about his presence in the locker room and the value he brings to the team.

There have been no issues with Suh in anybodies locker room that I'm aware of. Good dude and he plays hard.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

There have been no issues with Suh in anybodies locker room that I'm aware of. Good dude and he plays hard.

That definitely could be true, especially since locker room issues has never been something associated with Suh. My big concern is still why a cap-strapped team like the Dolphins would take a $23M cap hit to save $3M and lose a talent like Suh.

Dream fit beside Hankins and Chubb on the DL. 

Trade back from 3 to 4 and pick up and extra 2nd from Cleveland... 

Then draft Evans/Vander Esch in the 2nd and pick up Hitchens and Bradham in FA. 

Then sign make a move for Sherman and draft Isiah Oliver in the 2nd. 

Chubb - Suh - Hankins - Sheard 

Evans - Hitchens - Bradham 

Sherman - Hooker - Gaethers - Wilson/Oliver 

Dream D right there. 

I'm not sure there's a way to deal sensibly with that large contract. N.Suh not having character is straight nonsense. Guy has never had problems with any of his team mates, never been hauled off by the police or suspended for anything. The guy just plays hard to the point a play or two in the past got him labeled as dirty, but whens the last time you heard anybody accuse him of being dirty recently from a game? And he's been very durable his whole career. Overall it will probably make more sense to pursue Sheldon Richardson money wise but my gut tells me Seattle wouldn't have traded Bennett away if they didnt think a deal was possible with Richardson.