Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4% price increase to Sunday Ticket

Reality Check

While I do not watch games via Sunday Ticket, I am wondering if/how this will affect those who do?  Here is a summary...a link to the full article is below...

The price of DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket package will increase by a little more than 4 percent in 2018.

According to figures on the company's web site, the satellite provider has priced the basic package at $293.94 for the upcoming season, up from $281.94 a year ago. The max package, which includes the popular Red Zone channel, will cost $395.94 — a 4.5 percent increase from 2017.

DirecTV also implemented price increases prior to last season, raising the cost of the basic package by 9.3 percent and the max package by 5 percent. Nevertheless, news of this year's smaller increases was met with frustration on social media, with some fans threatening to cancel their subscription.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/02/20/directv-raises-prices-nfl-sunday-ticket-package-2018-season/354244002/

I signed up for their student nflgo or whatever version. $99 all games streamed to your tv or device. Week 1 was bumpy but it got better as the season went along. Worked pretty well. Just need to know a student currently enrolled at a university and date of birth and bingo....sign up with your email. I don't have Direct TV so I can't get the package. That's a crazy price increase...almost 14% the past two years.

4 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

In the grand scheme of things, it's 12 bucks. Big Whoop

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Incrementalism...12 bucks here, 5, bucks there, 10 bucks over yonder...pretty soon, you're talking real money.  :^)

$12 is nothing for someone willing to pay $300-$400 to watch football.

Moral of the Story:

My+best+friend+is+my+twin+brother+so+im+

Please remember folks, only references to legal methods of viewing NFL games can be posted here.  As far as online streaming options, these would be NFL Game Pass, NFL Mobile on Verizon, Sling TV, DirecTV Now, Amazon Prime, Hulu Live, PS Vue, and CBS all access options.  If anyone comes across another legal method, it can posted.  Vague references, Illegal, or 'grey area' sites posted to receive unauthorized NFL content will be removed.  Thank you.

17 hours ago, BlackPanther said:

How does the NFL Game Pass work?

Is it like this? I'm thinking of getting it next year.

I don't need live games because I'm working while NFL matches are on.

As soon as the game is over you can stream it. $99 a year. You can listen live. Makes sense if you can keep from finding out the scores etc before you get home.

NFL must have a really lucrative deal with Direct TV. One would think they could just offer their own streaming like the Game Pass and just get the money first hand. Maybe they don't think they have the infrastructure to support that many people streaming the games.

4 hours ago, King Colt said:

Most people don't know how to buy groceries or anything else. If they did they could cut their bills by 20 - 30+%.

I've been doing a pretty excellent job whittling mine down.  Still our biggest monthly expense though

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Nadine said:

Yes, bills we didn't used to have: cable, internet, cell are pricey

I got rid of cable all together and went to antenna TV. I got tired of paying high monthly cable bills for 150 channels I never watched.  I also went to the cheap cell phone route by just getting the most basic use. No contract deal paid by the month. I don't need a cell phone for anything else but phone calls or text. I cut my monthly expense by over $225. per month.

The only time NFL ticket was a bargain was in the mid to late nineties. I had it back then only paid for NFL ticket, did not use the monthly service. Paid 115 dollars for the whole season. They showed every game, no black outs regionally Used it for over 10 years.  Little by little they started blacking out games. I once missed a Colt game that was played in Houston , I live in South Carolina, called direct TV and was told the game was not a sell out in time. I told them that the reason  i had gotten NFL ticket was to see all of the Colt's games. Then came the dreaded HD. When they wanted me to pay over 300 dollars a season I stopped. They then sent me countless letters offering me a free season to stay with them. I said, What about next season what then? and they said well you would have to pay the 300 dollars for next season. So if i don't see them on network , It's sport's bar or red zone.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:42 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I got rid of cable all together and went to antenna TV. I got tired of paying high monthly cable bills for 150 channels I never watched.  I also went to the cheap cell phone route by just getting the most basic use. No contract deal paid by the month. I don't need a cell phone for anything else but phone calls or text. I cut my monthly expense by over $225. per month.

Amen, brother.  I used to pay for thousands of channels I didn't watch.  This isn't the right forum for it, but I'm gonna tack on...

I now watch TV for FREE with old-school bunny-ears.  The handful of channels I am able to get is enough for me.

My cell phone bill is less than $10/month because I only use it for calling and texting.  (Beat that!)

My one frivolous expense is the internet.  And you're all welcome for my continued internet presence...

haha

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Amen, brother.  I used to pay for thousands of channels I didn't watch.  This isn't the right forum for it, but I'm gonna tack on...

I now watch TV for FREE with old-school bunny-ears.  The handful of channels I am able to get is enough for me.

My cell phone bill is less than $10/month because I only use it for calling and texting.  (Beat that!)

My one frivolous expense is the internet.  And you're all welcome for my continued internet presence...

haha

Yes, the internet is also my expense.  The thing with that is internet service is no longer considered a frivolous expense. When people apply for most things internet service is included in monthly bills just like a car payment or utilities.

It's still worth it for non Indiana folks.

I tried to do the local bar thing a few years back and I only lasted maybe 3 or 4 games when I did the math and it would have cost way more to continue going out to watch the games.

It does suck because I'm also one of those people that remembers paying $99 for the season about 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

The only thing worse than no games on is a game on you have zero interest in while the Colts are on but you can't get it. It's like watching the Lions for decades on Thanksgiving Day when they were horrible.

I have never been that disinterested in the Colts where I had zero interest in them.

I am a fan of the Colts no matter what they do. If all you are interested in them if they are winning does that makes you a band wagon or a part time?

If I was paying for cable or satellite the 4% increase in Sunday Ticket doesn't seem that huge.  But I have a TV antenna on my house and Amazon Prime for TV.  I refuse to pay the price these providers want for their junk.

Watching anything on TV just isn't worth that kind of money to me.

On 21/02/2018 at 9:34 PM, IndyD4U said:

In the grand scheme of things, it's 12 bucks. Big Whoop

In the "grand scheme" it has risen from $239 in 2014 to $293 for 2019. That's a $54 increase in 5 years, just for the basic package, and a near $70 increase over the same time for the premium. It's been a consistent 4-5% increase each year.

On 2018-02-22 at 7:08 AM, Nadine said:

I'm more concerned with the price of groceries.  It's most people's largest expense

This is very common misconception. Food as a percentage of income has significantly shrunk over the last 100years. Mechanized farming tech, chemicals, and GMO's have lead to sizeable yeild increase. The craziest thing is a bushel of wheat cost the same as it did 50 years ago. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/04/how-america-spends-money-100-years-in-the-life-of-the-family-budget/255475/

People spend their money on housing, entertainment, cars, healthcare and various activities.

Now an argument can be made about access to quality food. Also less people garden and raise their own livestock.

We dropped Sunday Ticket this year after realizing that we weren't watching much NFL football, and not even watching all of the Colts games last season.  It wasn't far into the season before we were just rooting for a high draft pick. Going to wait to see if Luck is back at/near 100%, then decide if we'll sign up for it again. 

1 hour ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

This is very common misconception. Food as a percentage of income has significantly shrunk over the last 100years. Mechanized farming tech, chemicals, and GMO's have lead to sizeable yeild increase. The craziest thing is a bushel of wheat cost the same as it did 50 years ago. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/04/how-america-spends-money-100-years-in-the-life-of-the-family-budget/255475/

People spend their money on housing, entertainment, cars, healthcare and various activities.

Now an argument can be made about access to quality food. Also less people garden and raise their own livestock.

Disagree STRONGLY

On 2/27/2018 at 6:01 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

haha

I have real issues with using an antenna since I only get 2 channels out of TH and I am in the Evansville Market

On 2/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, IinD said:

It's still worth it for non Indiana folks.

I tried to do the local bar thing a few years back and I only lasted maybe 3 or 4 games when I did the math and it would have cost way more to continue going out to watch the games.

It does suck because I'm also one of those people that remembers paying $99 for the season about 20 years ago.

I use it to watch the Chiefs when they do not conflict with the Colts and/or on in the EVV market

I appreciate that times are tough for people everywhere and have been for a long time.

But if the Sunday Ticket is something you enjoy is a $4 per every $100 increase really a thing?    Really?

$8 for $200?   $12 for $300?   

Again, I feel your pain...  it's always tough to make ends meet.   But these days a four percent raise for something you love strikes me as reasonable.

Now....   if you don't like the product, that's another story....

Just sayin....