Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steven A Smith on Luck and the Colts

coltsfeva

There are times when I like Steven A Smith and times when he comes off as an *.

Here’s the link:

He isn’t alone in his assessment of the Colts. There are many who would agree with him. But I wonder if the Colts are as bad (personnel-wise) as some say. 

Specifically the Oline: was it lack of talent, scheme (7 step drops) or Luck/Brissett holding the ball too long that accounted for all those sacks? If Mewhort and Kelly are healthy, and we get a player or two in FA/draft, AND we start to draw up quick-release plays, do you think Bond, Good and/or Clark could develop into solid players? 

If that happens and we get a pass rush and better LB play, I don’t see any reason why the Colts can’t make the playoffs in 2018.

Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Here’s the link:

He isn’t alone in his assessment of the Colts. There are many who would agree with him. But I wonder if the Colts are as bad (personnel-wise) as some say. 

Specifically the Oline: was it lack of talent, scheme (7 step drops) or Luck/Brissett holding the ball too long that accounted for all those sacks? If Mewhort and Kelly are healthy, and we get a player or two in FA/draft, AND we start to draw up quick-release plays, do you think Bond, Good and/or Clark could develop into solid players? 

If that happens and we get a pass rush and better LB play, I don’t see any reason why the Colts can’t make the playoffs in 2018.

Thoughts?

Honestly, I think we need to build the Oline this year in the draft. like someone said in another post, getting a pass rusher in the first is nice and all, but right now it needs to be about protecting the biggest investment on the team and that is Luck. Draft Nelson in the first round, go pass rush or corner in the 2nd, and the 3rd round draft Alex Cappa the Tackle from Humboldt State. offensive line would look nasty with Castanzo, Nelson, Kelly, Mewhort and Cappa. Both Nelson and Cappa i feel are day one starters in my opinion. 

25 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Here’s the link:

Thoughts?

I don't think offensive line is as big of an issue as it is made out to be for Colts..A lot of factors involved including coaching, injuries, scheme, player development..I would hope a few players that we have invested picks and time in like Clark, Goode, and Haeg can become quality players..Hopefully Mewhort is healthy and we bring him back on a team friendly deal as well..Bottom line is 75% of league has offensive line issues, and that is where quality coaches come in..There just aren't a lot of good offensive linemen available coming out of college because of spread offenses and lack of development..Keep in mind the last 2 Guards that were taken in top 10 Warmack and Cooper, and thought to be sure things, were BUSTS...I think its smarter to find young offensive linemen that are developed and NFL proven in free agency...

I haven't watched Smith in years. I take nothing he says with any amount of attention. He falls right into the ESPN attitude about Irsay and the Colts. They will spin anything and everything negative when it's about the Colts. Smith has always been an argumentative announcer and things haven't changed I see.

I'm hoping the Colts focus on OL and draft Barkley. Luck needs to be the least sacked QB in the league next season. We'll have to win games in shootouts next year, but so what? This team has so many holes that if you draft a bunch on defense and get Luck killed again next year(or worse yet, end his career), this organization could be set back for a decade

53 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Here’s the link:

Thoughts?

I wouldn’t put too much stock in what Stephen A says. He has a mightier then you complex and thinks he knows more about everything then everyone .... people are going to say what they want about ALL subjects .... he still thinks the Cavs are going to the finals this year. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I made the mistake of watching that while eating lunch :yuk:

And, I believe I know what the "A" stands for in his name.  No idea where he came from, or why he is considered an expert on anything.  He's just there to be loud and stir up controversy.

That is what sells these days. The days of just reporting the news about sports have been long gone for quite a while now. We now have to be subject to argumentative reporting and the announcers personal opinions. We even have to listen to them making an issue over what shoes the players wear. It has become a joke.

What I heard him say was that Andrew Luck can be optimistic about being able to play, but that it doesn’t mean anything if he goes out and gets smeared and gets re-injured. “The Colts need to fix the O-Line and get a running game.”  I think a lot of us would agree with that. Everything shouldn’t fall on Luck’s (now surgically repaired) shoulder.

He really didnt say anything different than what I’ve read on here 100+ times, he just said it in his very annoying, big-headed, Stephen-Smith way. 

25 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

I'm hoping the Colts focus on OL and draft Barkley. Luck needs to be the least sacked QB in the league next season. We'll have to win games in shootouts next year, but so what? This team has so many holes that if you draft a bunch on defense and get Luck killed again next year(or worse yet, end his career), this organization could be set back for a decade

I think we add a high level guard in free agency or rounds 2 or 3..Drafting Barkley will help Luck or Brissett just as much as drafting a Guard in 1st, and will prolong his career..

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Here’s the link:

Thoughts?

it is easy to dislike Stephen a Smith no matter what he talks about he just loves to hear his own voice & at this time we have all new coaches who are evaluating the talent on the roster & there immediate needs .

My Thoughts are with the D &  Eberflus & a  new system we may have some players who will begin to flourish & the same can be said for all aspects of the team the offense IMO will once again be fun to watch no more 7 step drops  quick releases & a running game that takes some heat off the QB .

Alot going on in 2018 yes its a rebuild but there is a lot of enthusiasm from this Colts fan I'm ready to see a newer more improved Coaching staff with proven winners on board take the Colts to the next level .

You can bet at sometime Stephen A will jump on the band wagon at the moment he's living in the past what happens in 2017 stays in 2017 .

This is a new year full of opportunities FA - Draft & Trades 2018 is Back to the Future  for the Colts it starts in training camp can't wait ...

11 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

it is easy to dislike Stephen a Smith no matter what he talks about he just loves to hear his own voice & at this time we have all new coaches who are evaluating the talent on the roster & there immediate needs .

My Thoughts are with the D &  Eberflus & a  new system we may have some players who will begin to flourish & the same can be said for all aspects of the team the offense IMO will once again be fun to watch no more 7 step drops  quick releases & a running game that takes some heat off the QB .

Alot going on in 2018 yes its a rebuild but there is a lot of enthusiasm from this Colts fan I'm ready to see a newer more improved Coaching staff with proven winners on board take the Colts to the next level .

You can bet at sometime Stephen A will jump on the band wagon at the moment he's living in the past what happens in 2017 stays in 2017 .

This is a new year full of opportunities FA - Draft & Trades 2018 is Back to the Future  for the Colts it starts in training camp can't wait ...

That's right. With Ballard, Reich and a new page turning in Indy it is exciting. I think most are pretty optimistic but know the reality of what is coming. It's going to take time for this team to bring the players in that are needed to be competitive in the playoffs. We are going to have a very young roster and maybe even getting younger over the next two drafts. We have some money to spend in free agency but IMO this team will be built through the draft like is should be. Patience is going to have to used.

I didn't think anything he said was wrong. Unitll he fix scheme or line or whatever it was that had both andrew luck and brisett the most sacked QB's it's tough not to think it won't happen again. But Andrew Luck has all the right to be optimistic he's getting ready jump back into his passion again after a full year!

1 hour ago, SteelDragon said:

I agree. If Barkley is there at three you take him unless you get a trade offer that is too hard to pass up. A Barkley/Mack combo would take pressure off of luck and it would help solidify one of the most underrated stats in football and that is time of possession.  If Saquon Barkley is taken by the Browns or Giants then trade down and draft G Quenton Nelson.

I am fine with a more offensive oriented draft in 2018.

1 hour ago, SteelDragon said:

I'm not comfortable with the idea of them going OL heavy in the draft. The last thing we want is a bunch of rookies in front of Luck. I'd prefer they sign some proven OL vets in free agency, draft 1 or 2 for depth, then go defense across the board. And I'm not totally anti-Barkley, but I definitely lean more towards B. Chubb or M. Fitzpatrick with that 3rd pick.

I don't watch him, but I find his use of the sports hot takes more amusing than I do others (this wasn't a particularly hot take imo). His personality is just so over the top and passionate, I just have to respect the energy he puts into it. It's ridiculous and he's wrong constantly, though.

To his point- he simply doesn't know anymore than anyone else right now. He'd hardly look the fool by not being bullish on the squad.

3 minutes ago, MTC said:

The show is to have a debate off a certain topic. Of course Stephen A is going to take the more less optimistic side as the show needs some sort of discussion to get interest.

The problem is these are not discussions. They are attacks and take an argumentative angles at whatever they are yelling about.

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Here’s the link:

Thoughts?

If they were paying attention, they would have noticed Ballard addressed the DL and defensive backfield.  Alot was spent here in $(hankins) and picks (hooker,wilson,hairston). He also put some bandaids on LB. (Cant do it all)

he made us not miss a pretty good punter, and he infused youth everywhere.

Theres no reason to not think he"ll address OL, LB, wr, HEAVY in free agency (we have mucho $) and the draft (great position).

just like the roster turnover last year, we'll improve subtly everywhere and in larger jumps at the positions we all know we will improve in.

the surprises might be players our HC or coords like for potential in their systems.

sure, we have holes still, but this team will look very different come game 1.  These guys know this.  Its just the easy, lazy story.

The last time I listened to him, he was asked a question and his answer was, "I ain't gonna disrespect a brotha". That was the all bias I needed to hear from a person working for a network that touts itself as unbiased. 

Besides, anyone who has to add their middle initial to be remembered, is struggling to be recognized. 

2 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Honestly, I think we need to build the Oline this year in the draft. like someone said in another post, getting a pass rusher in the first is nice and all, but right now it needs to be about protecting the biggest investment on the team and that is Luck. Draft Nelson in the first round, go pass rush or corner in the 2nd, and the 3rd round draft Alex Cappa the Tackle from Humboldt State. offensive line would look nasty with Castanzo, Nelson, Kelly, Mewhort and Cappa. Both Nelson and Cappa i feel are day one starters in my opinion. 

Why build the OL through the draft when we can fix it overnight with 2, maybe 3 signings ??? Norwell, Josh Kline/Josh Sitton, Maybe Fleming. He'd be a stud at RT IMO. But na man. No sense in gambling on draft picks and using high picks on the OL with 90 million to spend. We can get a superstar playmaker or 3 in this draft. Sign FA's for the OL is the only solution. We've tried that too much. Its time to get ret@rded and overpay the heck outta 2-3 guys. But then we have. OVERNIGHT. A top 5 offensive line.

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Why build the OL through the draft when we can fix it overnight with 2, maybe 3 signings ??? Norwell, Josh Kline/Josh Sitton, Maybe Fleming. He'd be a stud at RT IMO. But na man. No sense in gambling on draft picks and using high picks on the OL with 90 million to spend. We can get a superstar playmaker or 3 in this draft. Sign FA's for the OL is the only solution. We've tried that too much. Its time to get ret@rded and overpay the heck outta 2-3 guys. But then we have. OVERNIGHT. A top 5 offensive line.

What if those guys get injured and we have no cap space? Who do we sign then? 

Luck will have no worries with this line. And guys like AC will be way better playing next to an All Pro like AN.

Castanzo - Norwell - Kelly - Sitton - Fleming.............Haeg / Good / Person / 4-5th RD pick or, Clark, maybe Clark comes out balling and shows out putting Good on the bubble or vice versa.. Haeg gives us a Reitz esk swing tackle who can play 4 spots. He should be much improved. Person looked like a solid backup C, Good ??? Who knows. He's shown flashes, he, Clark, and a mid RD pick or 2 would battle it out for 2 spots. But I think, with everybody healthy that'd easily be a top 5 OL. AC is a top 10 LT who should have his best years playing alongside Norwell. Kelly in his 3rd year should be ready to become a top 5ish Center, and would benefit greatly by having Norwell and Sitton on each side. Sitton will be like 31-32 ? So maybe replace him with Josh Kline who is a really solid young G. Not an all pro as of now, but a very solid above average G. I'd say Sitton has another year or 2 left so bring him in and lets have a superstar OL. Draft Sitton's replacement next year when we have fewer holes. Now Fleming could be one of the steals of this class. He's played well as a part time starter, and coming to a new team to be "The Man" would probably benefit him greatly. I think he's got enormous potential. He's a young, ascending player. And yeah LOL. My Opinion is he.... Possibly........POSSIBLY has top 5ish RT ability. I think that line is top 5. Maybe tops in the league. Or maybe replace Sitton with Kline as Kline is a couple years younger, but I think we'd get 2 great years outta Sitton. Give me 2 great years from him and we can like I stated above draft his replacement next year in the 2-3rd, groom him. Let him start year 2. Put 12 behind that line he's gonna be smirking. Then add a feature RB in RD 2 or 3 and Luck will straight up be laughing like Beavis and Butthead.

30 minutes ago, TYtheGHOST said:

What if those guys get injured and we have no cap space? Who do we sign then? 

What if we draft Jonathan Cooper 2.0 ? Or worse. Chance Warmack 2.0 ? Honestly the best G's are usually found in RD's 2-3. How many Zach Martin's have been taken in RD1 the last 5-6 years ? Him. A bunch of busts/backups, and a few solid, good starters.....But not top 5 or top 10 at their position types like you expect out of a 1stRD player. With kids like Kyle Long, Justin Pugh, etc. But Who's more likely to come in and dominate from day 1 on ? A couple rookie draft picks ? Or 2 all pro free agents, and an ascending young talent like Cam Fleming ? Yeah sure Nelson may be Martin meets Osemele meets Yanda NFL skill wise, but that's no guarantee, I do not wanna take that chance when we can sign a couple All Pro's, and we have the 3rd freaking pick in RD1. Basically 2 1st RD picks considering we're picking 35th overall as well, and considering they'll be 4 QB's taken, and a handful of O-Linemen. We can get 2 superstars with those picks, True elite, difference making playmaking fools, True day 1 starters on D. Like a Khalil Mack (Yes Chubb is a different style EDGE rusher but still, yall get the point) and then our version of a Bobby Wagner in RD2. Then our own version of a Kamara, Hunt, etc in RD3 in this pretty deep RB class. We cant really sign Mack, Wagner, and Hunt in free agency. We can sign a couple All Pro Guards.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

A bit of advice: don't listen to Steven A Smith.  He's extremely arrogant and thinks he knows better than everyone else when all he does is yell.

That being said he is correct on all points. Teams know Andrew Luck is a game changer and the only one we have besides Hilton. Teams will blitz us like last year because our line is terrible and will hold that reputation until proven otherwise. I don’t agree with him that Luck once hit will cry like a kitten, he’s tough and we all know that. However we need to see Ballard bring in talented players in free agency and the draft. We should be very active in FA this year, at least spending money on a big name or 2, Norwell being a popular candidate. I’m for drafting Nelson after a trade back, that’s my #1 path that I see right now, but if we don’t take him, take Chubb. Then a round 2 RB, power back specifically or even Sony Michel, I like him. 

Basically this year we should have a few better things than in recent years:

1) better coaching staff

2)1st round high pick so...

2a) talented edge rusher

2b) talented running back

2c) talented guard

3) better offensive line overall

4) more uniform defense since they all have 1 yr experience with each other

5) Andrew Luck at QB

Therefore there is no reason we shouldn’t have a winning season, unless mistakes are made or there are setbacks. I’m fairly optimistic. :D