Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts officially hire Matt Eberflus as DC

PeterBowman

Keeping my fingers crossed. Don't want another Monachino. :)

Can't get parallel hires or retreads across the board, will give the benefit of doubt for at least 2 years, good enough for most DCs to coach up current second year draft picks and experienced players to a good level of understanding of the system desired. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Keeping my fingers crossed. Don't want another Monachino. :)

Can't get parallel hires or retreads across the board, will give the benefit of doubt for at least 2 years, good enough for most DCs to coach up draft picks and players to a good level of understanding of the system desired. 

There will be a day when everyone doesn't think that ANY defensive coach working for the ravens is a defensive genius.

41 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

What so great about this guy? I'm not saying he's a bad hire I just don't know anything about him except he was linebackers coach in Dallas. 

I think he is the motivational speaker who lives in a van, down by the river. 

snl_0813_04_motivational_speaker.png

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

What so great about this guy? I'm not saying he's a bad hire I just don't know anything about him except he was linebackers coach in Dallas. 

Said to be terrific at coaching football . That would make him great ?  Lol ... but here's what I just found hunting the internet a bit.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/1/16/16899852/dallas-cowboys-reportedly-offered-matt-eberflus-the-position-of-defensive-coordinator

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Actually it really does say center 

Ha... it does. I use rotoworld.com a lot and checked it out. Here's what's happening. They have all coaches listed in the same data base as the players. Since they are coaches , they "designate" them with a "c" for coach. Brady would be listed with a "QB" after his name , and Frank Gore would have a "rb" after his name. 

That said if you want to see the latest news on say John Fox , you would enter john fox in the "player search." Thing is the "c" that every coach has is the same designation as center and root data base picks up the "c" as the position of center and not a coach. So bottom line is if you "pull out "the latest news on ANY NFL coach , they will have him listed as a "center.' That's stupid and also stupid of me to research it out.

I really hope they don't have jobs.  Saddling a coach that already knows he wasn't your first pick with all of this baggage and coordinators that they don't want or whose styles probably don't mesh would mean the Colts are an even bigger dumpster fire than I believed.  I used to make plans around Colts games and never miss one and next year I am probably not even going to watch.  I just can't stand to watch a team I love reduced to this pile of trash. 

28 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

We mentioned earlier today that Colts had deals to hire Matt Eberflus (DC), Dave DeGuglielmo (OL coach) and Mike Phair (DL coach). Source says Indy plans to do right by them. They'll have jobs (if they want them), regardless of HC.

That's very respectful of the Colts to do that, and I tip my hat to them for it, unlike a certain sleazebag with a visor.

It IS very respectful of the team, but it makes no sense to saddle a new HC with guys he doesn't want.  Its not fair to the HC and its not fair to these guys.  My guess is these guys will stay until they see who ends up getting the job and then leave if they so choose.  Who knows, perhaps one of them will have ties to the new HC and stay anyway?

But what an incredibly awkward situation for these guys.  I feel for them.  Hope McDaniels is sleeping real well tonight.

8 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Hope McDaniels is sleeping real well tonight.

Probably not. He just made one of the biggest decisions of his life. He turned down a guaranteed head coaching job a day before the press conference. Not many people can claim to have done that in NFL history. With Belichick apparently still coaching another year, McDaniels is just hoping it all works out for him. For his sake now, it better.

2 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Probably not. He just made one of the biggest decisions of his life. He turned down a guaranteed head coaching job a day before the press conference. Not many people can claim to have done that in NFL history. With Belichick apparently still coaching another year, McDaniels is just hoping it all works out for him. For his sake now, it better.

No doubt, he's got balls I'll give him that.  Nobody outside of NE will hire him now.

What a cluster this has turned out to be... 

I've been wrong about every assumption I've made so far this off-season, so I guess I ought not assume anymore. 

I would hope that Irsay would eat these contracts and get new coaches if the new HC candidate needed that to happen. I know that it is a ton of money, but Irsay has never been a penny pincher in the past.

I don't see it as a loyalty issue or a moral thing at all... If they signed contracts, they will get paid... That is Indy's obligation to them and nothing more. McDingbat is the one who left them without a place on a coordinated staff. They should be mad at him, if anything. Mr. Irsay has to do what's best for the team. Ballard will surely convince him of this if it becomes a sticking point during negotiations with HC candidates... right?

Eberflus seems like a good coach from all accounts. I could see (not assuming) him being kept if the right guy is hired.

DeGuglielmo doesn't impress me much from what I've read... It's almost as if NE wanted to stick us with him as a part of their twisted scheme. I would definitely understand him being given a check and shown the door...

I have no opinion on Phair... I just don't really know anything about him.

This is so messed up... Hard to get your draft boards ready when you don't know what schemes will be run on both sides of the ball. Hard to know what FA to look for when you are still looking for a HC in mid February.

I'm sure that there is still time to do these things. I'm also positive that there are good HC prospects out there... It's just so frustrating to deal with being shafted by the Patriots for the umpteenth time... despite the fact that McDingus was never a lock to be anything other than a crappy HC to begin with.