Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Foles to back up Andrew ...Good or bad idea ?????

HOF19

53 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts have their own Foles in Brissett. He’s a high end backup just as Foles is that could be a starter in the right situation.  Why replace something with the samething you already have?

Foles >>>>>>> brisset

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we have a backup QB.  1st things 1st

1) Andrew needs to throw and see if he can talk his bloodstream into providing sustenance to his depleted shoulder.

2) Andrew's bloodstream has to accept the sales-pitch via #1

3) Andrew's shoulder needs to meet with said bloodstream for adjudication  

4) Andrew needs to throw hard

If this doesn't happen before the draft, then we have to address that April 26th in Arlington.

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

Foles >>>>>>> brisset

Man you can't even accurately make that assessment.  Give Brissett that line and that scheme and you may be surprised.  It's like saying Dak Prescott >>>>>>>>>>> Wentz after the first season.  Then the next season when Wentz had a comparable line and Dak's line was hurt and his RB was suspended and their fortunes flipped.  It's hard to assess QBs in totally different situations.  Based on the stats and situation I could use that logic and say Foles > Wentz.

24 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Man you can't even accurately make that assessment.  Give Brissett that line and that scheme and you may be surprised.  It's like saying Dak Prescott >>>>>>>>>>> Wentz after the first season.  Then the next season when Wentz had a comparable line and Dak's line was hurt and his RB was suspended and their fortunes flipped.  It's hard to assess QBs in totally different situations.  Based on the stats and situation I could use that logic and say Foles > Wentz.

I've seen a lot more of Foles than most people and based on what I've seen of him and Brisset, Foles is infinitely better.  Foles was better on draft day 2012 than Brisset is today.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I disagree but I will agree to disagree with you.

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but I really don't get what you've seen from Brisset to disagree?  I think it's likely you haven't seen enough of Foles.

19 minutes ago, tikyle said:

It's not difficult to make that assessment at all. You just have to watch the two players. You don't have to put them in identical situations to make a determination about who is better. That helps when you have two somewhat equally equipped players, but it's pretty obvious that Brissett and Foles are not equally equipped. Foles is more accurate, he's quicker to process defenses, he has a quicker release, anticipates receivers better, his footwork is better, he's a faster and quicker runner, better presence in the pocket and does a better job of escaping pressure... basically everything you scout a QB for, Foles has an advantage over Brissett, with the exception of arm strength. And Foles has a more than sufficient arm.

We have plenty of book on both players to make this kind of evaluation, and Foles is easily the better QB.

I'm prepared to argue that Foles is the best backup QB in the league, based on his performance over the last two months. If he were a FA, he'd be in the running for a starting job with at least a handful of teams. 

4 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I can't believe this thread went 3 pages.   

Totally agree. If he lost last night, no one would be talking about him.

He's a stud all of a sudden. Guy had no pressure on him, no one expected anything and he had to ptay for a few games only.

17 minutes ago, J@son said:

I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but I really don't get what you've seen from Brisset to disagree?  I think it's likely you haven't seen enough of Foles.

I’ve seen my fair share of Foles.  Like I said both men are high level backups that can be starters in the right situation.  I am also basing this on the fact that Brissett is only a second year player who should get better and Foles has been around for six seasons.  So I expect Brissett to develop into what Foles is now.  Could that be wrong?  Sure.  

I kmow thats based somewhat on development but if you talking about replacing what you have with another guy,which this thread is, you have to factor that in as well. 

Id also say even if Brissett still needs to develop more the gap between Brissett and Foles is not that great.  We aren’t taking Stephen Morris or someone like him vs a franchise QB here.

The other key is the right situation.  Clearly the Eagles are much more talented than the Colts were this year.  I think had Brissett been with the Eagles this year like Foles was he would have had a similar performance.  

If you disagree with me thats fine.  Like I said I am fine with agree to disageee because it’s really just our opinions.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not difficult to make that assessment at all. You just have to watch the two players. You don't have to put them in identical situations to make a determination about who is better. That helps when you have two somewhat equally equipped players, but it's pretty obvious that Brissett and Foles are not equally equipped. Foles is more accurate, he's quicker to process defenses, he has a quicker release, anticipates receivers better, his footwork is better, he's a faster and quicker runner, better presence in the pocket and does a better job of escaping pressure... basically everything you scout a QB for, Foles has an advantage over Brissett, with the exception of arm strength. And Foles has a more than sufficient arm.

We have plenty of book on both players to make this kind of evaluation, and Foles is easily the better QB.

I'm prepared to argue that Foles is the best backup QB in the league, based on his performance over the last two months. If he were a FA, he'd be in the running for a starting job with at least a handful of teams. 

I know the comments have been in the context of the past two months or in comparison to Brissett, but IMO, Foles has never been given the respect he deserves and has been underrated his entire career.

Didn't he have some gawdy stats with Chip Kelly's offense at one point?  Like a 18 to 1 TD/interception ratio?

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I know the comments have been in the context of the past two months or in comparison to Brissett, but IMO, Foles has never been given the respect he deserves and has been underrated his entire career.

Didn't he have some gawdy stats with Chip Kelly's offense at one point?  Like a 18 to 1 TD/interception ratio?

Meh. He did have a 27 TD / 2 INT season in 2013 with Chip Kelly, then he fell back down to earth and struggled in basically every aspect. He was flustered in the pocket, his fundamentals deteriorated, then he was banished to St Louis to toil under Jeff Fisher's QB-unfriendly rule for a season (basically a jail sentence for any QB). After that season, he was ready to retire, wanted to play for no one but Andy Reid, who drafted him in Philly. 

He started one game last year for KC, playing very well, then got a strong backup QB offer from the Eagles. 

I don't think he's been underrated his entire career. I think he's had some very impressive highs, but also some very depressing lows. I'm not sure he's the kind of guy to carry his team week in and week out, but in the right situation, he's very good. He knows Pederson's offense, and that team is very talented. If you ask him to go carry the Browns or even take over the Titans with their limited weapons and conservative approach, he's not a 70% QB. He might even revert to the guy who wouldn't step up in the pocket, whose mechanics fell apart, etc. 

Only way Foles ends up here is with JB as his back up if it turns out Andrew cannot play. unfortunately I am of the camp that thinks Luck will not come back 100% if at all.  Hope I am wrong after all that has been invested in him.  Just a bad feeling since before the start of last season.

22 hours ago, HOF19 said:

A lot of talk on ESPN this morning about should Eagles trade Foles so it made me wonder if the Colts would stop and consider that or not  !

Foles has shown that he is no backup.  One could argue that he is more accomplished than Luck, with a remarkable SB LII performance.  Why would he play for backup money?

17 hours ago, tikyle said:

Lol. 

16 hours ago, J@son said:

I've seen a lot more of Foles than most people and based on what I've seen of him and Brisset, Foles is infinitely better.  Foles was better on draft day 2012 than Brisset is today.

I don't see how the Eagles won't trade him . They might be able to get a decent draft pick out of it right now. Besides, the most popular player on any football team is the backup QB. First bad game or two by Wentz and the distractions will start coming and the fans wailing for Foles. Could make for bad locker room stuff. Foles numbers career are even better than Carson in some aspects. 

16 hours ago, IinD said:

Totally agree. If he lost last night, no one would be talking about him.

He's a stud all of a sudden. Guy had no pressure on him, no one expected anything and he had to ptay for a few games only.

I have to disagree. Had Brady hit that hail mary and the Pats would have won Foles still would have been on the radar of any team needing a QB.

23 hours ago, HOF19 said:

A lot of talk on ESPN this morning about should Eagles trade Foles so it made me wonder if the Colts would stop and consider that or not  !

Philly IMO will trade him as soon as possible the Colts don't need him & I doubt they would want him if  for some reason Luck was no able to go Brissett has proven he can get the job done , Plus reuniting him with McDaniels is a huge step forward that should pay off big down the road . 

I believe in Andrew Luck I still feel he is gonna be better than Peyton Manning & it starts this year if it is'nt Luck it will be Brissett . 

The team needs more picks not less Foles did good in the right situation but he will never repeat never look as good again . 

On a side note ..

Malcom Butler could have made a difference the Hoodie believed his own Press " Football Genius ", Over the years we have seen many moves made that did'nt make sense that turned out well for the Patriots,, Benching Butler was not one of them IMO Foles received a early Valentines gift from the Hoodie ..

16 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

The team needs more picks not less Foles did good in the right situation but he will never repeat never look as good again . 

People said the same thing about Foles after he threw 7 TDs against the raiders. I also think it's highly unfair to say he'll  never look as good again... He did what he did against a few of the most highly ranked defenses in the league. 

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

People said the same thing about Foles after he threw 7 TDs against the raiders. I also think it's highly unfair to say he'll  never look as good again... He did what he did against a few of the most highly ranked defenses in the league. 

You are right BUT ....

I honestly believe he would not have looked as good if Butler had played I cannot understand how a guy who intercepted a TD pass on the goal line to win a SB is not on the field .

IMO the Hoodie made a critical mistake . 

19 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Philly IMO will trade him as soon as possible the Colts don't need him & I doubt they would want him if  for some reason Luck was no able to go Brissett has proven he can get the job done , Plus reuniting him with McDaniels is a huge step forward that should pay off big down the road . 

I believe in Andrew Luck I still feel he is gonna be better than Peyton Manning & it starts this year if it is'nt Luck it will be Brissett . 

On a side note ..

Malcom Butler could have made a difference the Hoodie believed his own Press " Football Genius ", Over the years we have seen many moves made that did'nt make sense that turned out well for the Patriots,, Benching Butler was not one of them IMO Foles received a early Valentines gift from the Hoodie ..

Well then explain why Foles looked better in 2013 when he was a starter? He was all pro with 27 TDs with 2 picks. Injury and Jeff Fisher derailed his career.

When he has had a chance to be a starter he was better than average.

On a side side note, lol. We have no clue if Butler would have made a difference. Quit making excuses for the Eagles beating the Patriots in the super bowl.

31 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

You are right BUT ....

I honestly believe he would not have looked as good if Butler had played I cannot understand how a guy who intercepted a TD pass on the goal line to win a SB is not on the field .

IMO the Hoodie made a critical mistake . 

Well, I'll just say I disagree but can at least respect the explanation and opinion.  And I'd just point out that he carved up the Vikings secondary as well.  :)

19 hours ago, J@son said:

I never said other teams rely heavily on the RPO. Please don't assume things I never said. 

What system specifically are you referring to that he allegedly hasn't shown any success outside of? 

Then you shouldn't have brought up RPO usage with other teams. It's an unfair assumption to make that Foles would be successful with other teams just because they have random plays that utilize RPO.

Aside from having an elite infrastructure around him, Foles needs to be in a system that asks him to throw the ball quickly and not far down the field, pretty much a WCO. The Eagles offense was much different from when Wentz played to when Foles came in after his injury. 

Unless Foles has played somewhere in a system other than the heavy WCO of Reid/Pederson, he has never been succesful in another system, which makes him a system QB.

3 hours ago, J@son said:

Well, I'll just say I disagree but can at least respect the explanation and opinion.  And I'd just point out that he carved up the Vikings secondary as well.  :)

Butler is also pretty overrated, IMO. Not saying they didn't miss him, but this idea that he's a shutdown corner and would have singlehandedly changed the complexion of the game is one that I don't agree with. Especially if the Pats were planning to play a bunch of zone coverage anyways...

4 hours ago, colt18 said:

Then you shouldn't have brought up RPO usage with other teams. It's an unfair assumption to make that Foles would be successful with other teams just because they have random plays that utilize RPO.

I brought up RPO usage with other teams because I thought that was the "system" you were referring to when saying he's a system QB.  And it's also an unfair assumption to make that Foles would be unsuccessful outside of a WCO because that's the type of offense he's been in since coming into the league with the possible exception of the one year in STL.

Aside from having an elite infrastructure around him, Foles needs to be in a system that asks him to throw the ball quickly and not far down the field, pretty much a WCO. 

No idea why you say that.  He showed during the playoffs and many times before he can get the ball downfield.  That's why I was so confused at first during the Vikings game when Troy Aikman was talking about them losing the deep ball with Foles.  I knew that wasn't true and during the game that was proven and Aikman wound up eating his words later on.  

Unless Foles has played somewhere in a system other than the heavy WCO of Reid/Pederson, he has never been succesful in another system, which makes him a system QB.

Here's the fundamental difference between our thinking.  You simply haven't see him outside of a WCO because that's what he's been in since coming into the league, again with the possible exception of that year with the Rams.  I have no idea what they were doing or trying to do there.  If he had been tried in other systems and shown that he couldn't perform well in them, then I would agree that he's reliant on the WCO.  That's not the case though.  I have no doubt he could flourish in an Air Coryell offense, a Spread offense (he already has with Chip Kelly), a WCO or Josh McDaniels' offense.  The only type of offense he is 100% not suited for is a read/option offense that requires him to run a lot.