Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Morrison

rpeay

I thought Morrison was going to be a positive difference on defense when drafted, however after watching him play over the past  2 years, I have given up on him being nothing else but a special teams player and backup.  He is constantly out of position, misses basic coverage assignments (like picking up backs out of the backfield and TEs crossing), gets steam rollered regularly in addition to picking up stupid unsportsmanlike penalties that cost the team.......Its been since prior to Dungy arriving when the Defense has been very good.......

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, rpeay said:

I thought Morrison was going to be a positive difference on defense when drafted, however after watching him play over the past  2 years, I have given up on him being nothing else but a special teams player and backup.  He is constantly out of position, misses basic coverage assignments (like picking up backs out of the backfield and TEs crossing), gets steam rollered regularly in addition to picking up stupid unsportsmanlike penalties that cost the team.......Its been since prior to Dungy arriving when the Defense has been very good.......

I think your last sentence should be ‘prior to Dungy leaving’. 

Yes, our ILBs were both below average, although Bostic did play better before getting hurt.  

50 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Morrison is a good two down player. He lacks size and some speed but is very aggressive....

A quality player who is always around the ball...

He also seems to be a team leader.....and a tireless competitor....

Surely we could upgrade over him but it is not a priority

I disagree. He cannot cover anyone and in this league today, that won't cut it for any LB. ILB remains a significant priority for the Colts. 

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I disagree. He cannot cover anyone and in this league today, that won't cut it for any LB. ILB remains a significant priority for the Colts. 

You also have to stop the run some on 1st and 2nd down. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We're clearly not watching the same player...I guess everybody looks bad on a losing team.

I'm pretty sure Morrison will be with us next year. We have other much more painful (OLB, DE, CB , CB, CB, OG, OT) and glaring needs

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think your last sentence should be ‘prior to Dungy leaving’. 

Yes, our ILBs were both below average, although Bostic did play better before getting hurt.  

Our ILB's are awful although I don't think Walker did bad last night got the blocked punt that we didn't take advantage of.

25 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Morrison is great at coming in late after two guys have the ball carrier stopped, and then putting a hard hit on the pile (often nailing one of his own players). On Chuck’s way out he can hold the door open for Morrison.

So much this.  Late hits every game. Somehow he got away with a blatant one yesterday. Dude aggravates me.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Morrison is a good two down player. He lacks size and some speed but is very aggressive....

What are you watching??

You also have to stop the run some on 1st and 2nd down. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We're clearly not watching the same player...I guess everybody looks bad on a losing team.

I'm pretty sure Morrison will be with us next year. We have other much more painful (OLB, DE, CB , CB, CB, OG, OT) and glaring needs

We definitely don't need to acquire 3 cb's before we acquire any ilb's.

Eh he’s not a reason for decent run stopping ability of our defense unfortunately The Dline is and our Safties idk how many times  I’ve seen Morrison and Bostic washed away and Farley having to make the tackle because they weren’t in the proper gaps 

4 hours ago, rpeay said:

I have been so glad he has been out there for our run to 3-?
He is an Off- co-ord dream. They can build a whole game plan around Abusing his lead feet over and over and over when they need to. THANK YOU CHUCK!
 He has ok value on STeams and short yardage, goal line. Of course i wouldn't want him at all because quality depth is critical.

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

He does not lack speed or a high motor. He lacks football IQ and coverage skills. If he can somehow learn those, he would actually be pretty good

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

You lusted cornerback THREE times?

1.   Melvin

2.   Wilson

3.   Desir

4.   Hairston

5.   TBA -- free agent

6.    TBA -- draft pick

Feel better about the position now?

Something we can all agree on.

Morrison is one of the worst players on this team, and I can’t think of one positive thing to say about him besides his aggressive attitude. There is no way the Colts can get away without drafting an ILB in the first 3 rounds. Walker has potential but we still need help. You could line up a rope tied between two cones at LB and get better play than what Morrison gives.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Something we can all agree on.

Morrison is one of the worst players on this team, and I can’t think of one positive thing to say about him besides his aggressive attitude. There is no way the Colts can get away without drafting an ILB in the first 3 rounds. Walker has potential but we still need help. You could line up a rope tied between two cones at LB and get better play than what Morrison gives.

I agree he has 1 thing about him he’s hits hard as hell. But that doesn’t matter much when you’re knocking out your own players now does it haha 

1 minute ago, our_dbs_rock said:

The Colt's give up so many passes in the middle of the field to TE's and RB's I was beginning to think there wasn't any ILB's on the roster.  Who is this Morrison you speak of.... :)

What’s an inside linebacker, first of all? I’m a Colts fan, don’t think we have those.

13 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What’s an inside linebacker, first of all? I’m a Colts fan, don’t think we have those.

From my years of watching Colt's games, it is my understanding that their job is to stand near the defensive lineman and wave to the running back as they run by and get tackled by the safeties.  They sometimes even fall on top of a receiver, tight end, or running back after they catch a pass, usually around 15 yards from the line of scrimmage.  I've also heard of a rare situation where they catch the ball instead of the receiver, but I have trouble believing that is a real thing.

13 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

HUH????    Seriously. HUH?

8 hours ago, will426 said:

I agree he has 1 thing about him he’s hits hard as hell. But that doesn’t matter much when you’re knocking out your own players now does it haha 

The only guys I've seen him hit hard are Darius Butler, Mathias Farley and TJ green.

9 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I kind of like this idea, it’d be an instant upgrade at both spots assuming Simon could make that transition. Then Morrison could just be a depth guy, which is fine by me.

Especially on passing downs.  I cringe when I see either Bostic or Morrison in on those plays.  Put in an extra S at ILB, because it’s like we’re playing with 10 guys anyway.  

I thought Geathers would play Nickel LB but he never got back to form.   

On 12/24/2017 at 11:44 PM, our_dbs_rock said:

The Colt's give up so many passes in the middle of the field to TE's and RB's I was beginning to think there wasn't any ILB's on the roster.  Who is this Morrison you speak of.... :)

Well I agree. Any team can eat us alive by throwing crossing patterns to TEs or by throwing to RBs. If I were an OC, and thankfully I'm not, that would be a major part of my game plan going up against the Colts D.The Colts have seemed to value thumpers over multi-purpose ILBs. Give me a Freeman over D'Quell any day of the week.

14 hours ago, bleedblue42 said:

Has anybody thought or was curious of how Geathers & Simon would look in our scheme as ILB? Our ILB are trash and moving those guys wouldn't be any worse. Might be something worth looking at

You move them and all you do is create another hole.