Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Harbaugh

azcolt

2 minutes ago, buccolts said:

As time goes on, he's getting closer to being available, and less desirable.

Partially true. He can’t outrecruit OSU and PennState, which probably makes him closer to available. But recruiting is not part of the Colts job. 

My top 5 for next Colts HC

5. The defensive one

Kris Richard - Defensive coordinator Seattle Seahawks

4. The looooooooong shot

Peyton Manning ;) You know who that is ;)

3. The Dream Coach

Bruce Arians

2. Darth Vader aka The Patriots Coach

Bill Belichick 

1. The one whos gonna coach the colts

Me

Undefeated in NFL Madden and won 11 Super Bowls in a row

Coach of the year 6 times

Best defence

Best offence

Best special team

Have the best QB, Kicker, most sacks, most points, fewest points allowed, largest win, 8 TD in 4 straight games, 11 kickoff returns for TD, 7 punt return for TD in a season and I won the superbowl while talking with my mom on the phone.

Furthermore I know a guy who have been to Lego Land ;)

40 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Pretty please!

If he does want to come back to the NFL then I would think we are one of his top choices. Luck, Ring of Honor, fans here love him....

He has a pretty good thing going at Michigan though. Sure they've lost a few big games, but Michigan was a firestorm when he took that job. I would have to think he is not finished with his work there yet. 

It would take years to turn this roster into one which resembled Jim’s image and style.  Years and years.  The exact things the Colts can’t do are what make Harbaugh effective.   

And does anyone actually watch Harbaugh teams play?  For a fan base primarily entertained under Manning and the early Luck years, it would be the polar opposite offensively.  

At this point, no to Jim Harbaugh. His offensive recruiting is terrible in college and he is predictable with his offense, and we have had enough of that. Once I found out he hired Pep Hamilton for Michigan, that was enough for me. :)  No wonder Michigan is stinking up the joint on offense this year.

Frank Reich, Josh McDaniels and Dave Toub should be the top 3, IMO. 

The first 2 will instantly put our offense to be maximized, IMO. The last one would be fine as well if the first two decline, IMO. Toub would know the importance of a complete team, much like Chris Ballard does, and would be on the same page. Josh McDaniels probably has learnt more than a few lessons from his first gig in Denver, and is older and wiser, and might realize he cannot hitch his wagon on an aging Brady forever.

8 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I personally cannot stand the guy and I would have a hard time rooting for him.  

I also think he's just an average coach.  

He'd be a bad hire IMO. I also don't see him leaving Michigan either. 

I've met him on several occasions when he was the QB here very nice guy. 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

At this point, no to Jim Harbaugh. In his defense, his offensive recruiting is terrible in college and he is predictable with his offense, and we have had enough of that. Once I found out he hired Pep Hamilton for Michigan, that was enough for me. :) 

Frank Reich, Josh McDaniels and Dave Toub should be the top 3, IMO. 

The first 2 will instantly put our offense to be maximized, IMO. The last one would be fine as well if the first two decline, IMO. Toub would know the importance of a complete team, much like Chris Ballard does, and would be on the same page. Josh McDaniels probably has learnt more than a few lessons from his first gig in Denver, and is older and wiser, and might realize he cannot hitch his wagon on an aging Brady forever.

All those are average at best take away Brady from the the Patriots and you got a lost McDaniels. 

30 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

I personally cannot stand the guy and I would have a hard time rooting for him.  

I also think he's just an average coach.  

He'd be a bad hire IMO. I also don't see him leaving Michigan either. 

He is far better than an average coach.   He also isn't leaving michigan

14 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

All those are average at best take away Brady from the the Patriots and you got a lost McDaniels. 

Sorry, I disagree. McDaniels beat the Patriots in Denver with Kyle Orton, enough said. He just got way in over his head. Broncos were unbeaten in 2009 before the Colts beat them here in LOS. His issue came when he started to act like Belichick and got more GM responsibilities giving up a boat load of picks for Tim Tebow etc. and that won't be an issue here with Chris Ballard as GM.

The Harbaugh fetish should not make us overlook other qualified candidates, IMO. Harbaugh is a very good coach in his own merit but his offense would work if he can control clock with an outstanding D that they had with the 49ers with Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman in their prime, plus an excellent OL to run the ball (neither of which we have) and thus went to 2 NFCCG and 1 SB.

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Michigan will not fire him this year 

True....but he is like the 5th best coach in his conference. Cant beat OSU or MSU...now PSU is better than them. I’d even favor Wisconsin over them...struggles with Iowa and Indiana....yeah I’ll pass. Let’s see him win his own division before trying to win ours. I’d much prefer his brother but even he is losing luster fast. Once Caldwell left so did Baltimore’s offense....maybe we should have just kept Caldwell...couldn’t be worse off.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

True....but he is like the 5th best coach in his conference. Cant beat OSU or MSU...now PSU is better than them. I’d even favor Wisconsin over them...struggles with Iowa and Indiana....yeah I’ll pass. Let’s see him win his own division before trying to win ours. I’d much prefer his brother but even he is losing luster fast. Once Caldwell left so did Baltimore’s offense....maybe we should have just kept Caldwell...couldn’t be worse off.

He doesn't have a squad of his own recruited players yet.     That's why he won't be fired.   Not because of his lack of wins this year

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Tell me everything you know about Toubs head coaching ability.   Leave nothing out

You can say that about every head coach until they get that chance. If everyone felt that way nobody would hire anyone.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He doesn't have a squad of his own recruited players yet.     That's why he won't be fired.   Not because of his lack of wins this year

That’s fine but he hasn’t stayed anywhere long enough to prove he can really recruit either...about 4 years is all he last until people get sick of him or he jumps ship. He won’t do that at Michigan but I don’t suspect he will win too many big ten championships. As Parcells says...you are what your record says you are...and against quality opponents he isn’t all that good.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You can say that about every head coach until they get that chance. If everyone felt that way nobody would hire anyone.

That’s fine but he hasn’t stayed anywhere long enough to prove he can really recruit either...about 4 years is all he last until people get sick of him or he jumps ship. He won’t do that at Michigan but I don’t suspect he will win too many big ten championships. As Parcells says...you are what your record says you are...and against quality opponents he isn’t all that good.

He was fired in San  fran after going to a super bowl a year before   

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He was fired in San  fran after going to a super bowl a year before   

No he then lost again in the NFC championship then went 8-8...kinda like Chuck...he still hasn’t won anything. Now don’t get me wrong I don’t think we need to hire a SB winning coach but this guy wears down everyone with his attitude and antics and I don’t think long term he will help us.

2 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

He's not leaving Michigan, and I doubt his style of coaching would work here. Give me Toub please.

Yeah, we’d upgrade special teams by getting rid of the empty jersey returning kicks. Not sure what else he brings to the table though.

I’d consider Jim Bob Cooter (OC for the lions). He has been a huge factor in Stafford’s improved play the past few years. Prior to Cooter being promoted, Stafford was playing so poorly Caldwell actually benched him. Cooter came in and emphasized a short , quick passing game with occasional shots and it has worked wonders for the Lions offense. I am not a huge fan of Golden Tate (good yak ability but not a number 1 wr) or Marvin Jones so it is impressive to me. 

6 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Ballard has been talking to JB about McDaniels. 

"According to the Boston Globe's Ben Volin, Ballard has been picking Jacoby Brissett's brain about his offensive coordinator in New England, Josh McDaniels."

I don't really trust anything Ben Volin says, but it's not hard to imagine that they've had those discussions, especially about the offensive concepts.

I've been reading a lot about the EP system that the Pats have run since before Charlie Weis. The Colts ran the same concepts with Manning/Moore. I don't need to try to recreate the Manning era, but it's hard not to wish for the advantages of that offensive philosophy. People always talk about going no-huddle, but the reason Manning (and the Patriots at times) was able to excel with no-huddle has a lot to do with the simplicity of the EP approach.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

By the way, McDaniels has become my first option over the course of the last two years. And I used to be firmly opposed to McDaniels.

I'm curious if it's because you feel he is a great candidate, or if he's the best of a bunch of mediocre candidates?

6 minutes ago, ponyboy said:

I'm curious if it's because you feel he is a great candidate, or if he's the best of a bunch of mediocre candidates?

I don't know who all the potential candidates are or could be. I have liked others at times over the past couple years.

The way the Patriots run their offense, despite personnel losses at every position, gives McDaniels a great deal of credibility in my eyes.