Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard turning things around

ThorstenDenmark

Okay, 0 and 2... not a perfect start to the season or what we hoped for.

The beating against LA Rams was chocking, even without Andrew Luck

The game against Arizona was much better and only inches away from a win. 

When that is said, I think Chris Ballard have done a pretty good job trying to turn things around.

The draft was good and the players from this years draft are already making plays, and shown us why he choose them.

I don't believe the rumors about Luck, but I do believe that if Grigson was still here, he would leave us.

But its a whole new reality with Ballard as GM, and next year when Chuck is gone, I do believe we once again will be contenders for at least a playoff spot.

This year however, I dont think we will win that many games, but I hope Im wrong, but without Luck and a whole new defence in development, I think we will end up once again with a pretty high draftpick come april. 

people will then say, are we wasting Lucks talent, well, Grigson was wasting and ruining this franchise, but we have to believe in Ballard and what he's doing. 

At least Im more optimistic now, than a year ago.

Things will change for the better,m but we need patience and have to trust in Ballard.

10 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

I don't believe the rumors about Luck, but I do believe that if Grigson was still here, he would leave us.

I agree with a lot of what you said and the optimism is a nice change of pace, but the part about grigson simply doesn't work. Grigson was still GM and a year away from being fired when Luck signed his 6 year extension. 

Good post, and always good to hear positivity on this forum!  I agree that its unlikely we have a winning record this year but, based on the early showings this year, encouraging to look to what we could have with a fully fit roster in 2018:

Franchise quarterback: check

Strong defensive front: check

Young athletic backfield with turnover potential: check

Those three things are very exciting prospects to have under our belt.

Not having a great record this year means Ballard may have strong draft stock next year to specifically look at the two things we really need to take the next step, O-line and pass rush.

Oh, and Pagano will likely be gone!

If you watch the games, all of the guys he's brought in are performing. Simon is getting sacks, Hooker dazzled in his 1st start, Wilson is the best CB after Davis, Mack looks like he'll jump Turbin,, Hairston seems like a good nickel, and Al Woods is better than Parry. Sheard is the only one not lighting it up yet, but it's still early. With a new coaching staff, the Colts could turn into a playoff contender next year.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If you watch the games, all of the guys he's brought in are performing. Simon is getting sacks, Hooker dazzled in his 1st start, Wilson is the best CB after Davis, Mack looks like he'll jump Turbin,, Hairston seems like a good nickel, and Al Woods is better than Parry. Sheard is the only one not lighting it up yet, but it's still early. With a new coaching staff, the Colts could turn into a playoff contender next year.

Agree with the OP and most of what you said.  I'd say Wilson has the potential to be a very good CB.  He's doing a decent job all things considered and if he can learn from his mistakes he's going to be our future #1.

Just based on last weeks game (definitely not the Rams game) Melvin was the best CB on the field. 

In a different thread someone, who apparently didn't watch the game, said Melvin was horrible.  So I re-watched every defensive snap.  Man was he tight, he gave up two completions in about 10 throws at him.  I think they quit trying to go his way after about the second quarter.  If he can keep it up we'll have solid depth once Davis gets back.

Back to the thread - yes Ballard has us on track again.  I just want to see improvement every week, in the players, and the coaching.

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Agree with the OP and most of what you said.  I'd say Wilson has the potential to be a very good CB.  He's doing a decent job all things considered and if he can learn from his mistakes he's going to be our future #1.

Just based on last weeks game (definitely not the Rams game) Melvin was the best CB on the field. 

In a different thread someone, who apparently didn't watch the game, said Melvin was horrible.  So I re-watched every defensive snap.  Man was he tight, he gave up two completions in about 10 throws at him.  I think they quit trying to go his way after about the second quarter.  If he can keep it up we'll have solid depth once Davis gets back.

Back to the thread - yes Ballard has us on track again.  I just want to see improvement every week, in the players, and the coaching.

To piggyback off of this, Melvin was PFFs highest graded CB League wide last week. I know a lot of people don't care about PFF and what they do, I'm just throwing it out there.

7 minutes ago, Everyone said:

To piggyback off of this, Melvin was PFFs highest graded CB League wide last week. I know a lot of people don't care about PFF and what they do, I'm just throwing it out there.

I'm not sure how they come up with some of their rankings, but in this case they were right that he had a great game.

If I had to complain about anything, I'd say he wasn't a 'willing' tackler like Davis.

The thing i like about Ballard is he isn't afraid to cut his draft picks if other players are producing better 'Banner'

the previous GMs would be too prideful to cut a bad pick.

On another note, this defense is going to be dominant in another off-season of work under Ballard. The guy

is a tireless worker on looking for talent.

I really like what he has done with the DL...and it seems to be paying off. He basically overhauled the front and brought in a deep group of players to rotate and keep fresh. There's a decent chance that Anderson is probably the 4th or 5th best DL player this season. And it's not because of bad play.

The best part is that, outside of Woods and Hunt, they are all young and have long-term value. Going forward, all they will have to do is move Hankins to NT and bring in a good 3-4 DE and the DL is set.

The LB group overall is still weak. I like what Simon is doing. Obviously, OLB is going to continue to be addressed, as pass rushers are paramount to success. I also expect ILB to be a priority next offseason. George looks promising...but Bostic is not good. And I am going to have see the new and improved Morrison to buy him as anything more than depth. And I don't think he will ever be good in coverage. They really need an ILB that can do it all. Given his coverage skills, I wouldn't mind seeing what Spence can do...but they must see something they don't like. I expect them to target one in FA or the draft.

There are plenty of reasons to be optimistic about the defense. And a good defense is a gamechanger for this team gong forward. Lots of ways you can win games when the other team isn't scoring many points.  

23 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

The thing i like about Ballard is he isn't afraid to cut his draft picks if other players are producing better 'Banner'

the previous GMs would be too prideful to cut a bad pick.

On another note, this defense is going to be dominant in another off-season of work under Ballard. The guy

is a tireless worker on looking for talent.

I would love it if Ballard brought in another stud at CB opposite Wilson to replace Vontae. Someone like Trumaine Johnson would be nice! Also, getting this OL finally fixed and getting better players at OT is key for Ballard next offseason. Gotta keep Andrew healthy and a good OL will make things easier on the defense since the Offense will be able to run the ball and stay on the field more. 

not to be the buzz killer, but alot on this forum were high on Grigson after his first draft too.  If Ballard can keep the good drafting up, which is easier said than done, theres a chance we could be very very good by 2020.

hmm Peyton Manning got his first Superbowl in year 8

Luck would be in year 8 in 2020

6 hours ago, J@son said:

I agree with a lot of what you said and the optimism is a nice change of pace, but the part about grigson simply doesn't work. Grigson was still GM and a year away from being fired when Luck signed his 6 year extension. 

The GM had just signed a new deal himself.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Per PFF Melvin was the highest graded CB in the league for week 2.

DKL8_uHW0AAl-Ej.jpg

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

not to be the buzz killer, but alot on this forum were high on Grigson after his first draft too.  If Ballard can keep the good drafting up, which is easier said than done, theres a chance we could be very very good by 2020.

hmm Peyton Manning got his first Superbowl in year 8

Luck would be in year 8 in 2020

Andrew Luck had a lot to do with that though. Having the #1 overall pick and getting your franchise QB tends to breed some optimism, regardless of who the guy is that made the pick.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Andrew Luck had a lot to do with that though. Having the #1 overall pick and getting your franchise QB tends to breed some optimism, regardless of who the guy is that made the pick.

Allen and Fleener looked good (Allen was one of the best all around TEs in the league in his rookie year), Hilton was explosive, Vick Ballard looked like a feature back, even Brazill had a game winning TD. And everyone expected Josh Chapman to be a big piece the following year. 

That was a strong draft. 

10 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Allen and Fleener looked good (Allen was one of the best all around TEs in the league in his rookie year), Hilton was explosive, Vick Ballard looked like a feature back, even Brazill had a game winning TD. And everyone expected Josh Chapman to be a big piece the following year. 

That was a strong draft. 

and yet, only 2 of those remain on the team.  Thats why im praying this year's draft stock are 1 yr wonders like those were.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

That was a strong draft. 

Agreed. Even though most of them didn't work out, they were good picks. I personally never believed in Chapman though.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

and yet, only 2 of those remain on the team.  Thats why im praying this year's draft stock are 1 yr wonders like those were.

Allen got slowed by injuries, then got traded after getting a second contract. Fleener got a second contract in free agency and brought us a 4th round comp pick, represented by Grover Stewart. Vick Ballard's career ended due to injuries. 

I still believe those were good picks. It's not surprising that, six years later, most of those players have moved on. It was still a good draft.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Allen got slowed by injuries, then got traded after getting a second contract. Fleener got a second contract in free agency and brought us a 4th round comp pick, represented by Grover Stewart. Vick Ballard's career ended due to injuries. 

I still believe those were good picks. It's not surprising that, six years later, most of those players have moved on. It was still a good draft.

Vick Ballard was a breath of fresh air during his rookie year paired with Luck. That corkscrew TD in OT against the Titans was amazing. Shame his injuries ended his NFL career. I see him online here and there still. He's like a realtor or something now.

I will continue to contend that this was never about this year. I like what Ballard is doing for the long-term future of this team, but we will struggle this year, with or without Luck. Young players don't win games and our best talent is in young players right now.

Our run defense seem to be shaping up well for now, If Gaethers and Vontae return to their regular form this secondary is going to be nasty in a year or two... hell even if we don't pursue extending Vontae, we might find a good corner in next year's draft.

I can see Ballard focusing on pass-rush and OLine next year... and if Moncrief doesn't get his % together we might be looking at a WR. The good thing is - we have a ton of capspace to use(that's what failed drafts will do for you) and will hopefully have a high draft pick(and if it's really high we might be able to extort some poor QB hungry team for a kings ransom type of deal - several 1st rounders + 2nd rounders + 3ds etc).

I don't like the present much, but I'm excited for the future... Just for example... look at the range of Hooker on this play:

He made this look easy. He made it look like a stupid throw by Palmer... he made it look like he should have known the seam was covered. It wasn't covered... it got covered with time to spare because of Hooker reading the QB, his instincts and amazing closing speed. This will continue to happen. I have no doubts that Hooker will make a lot of QBs look stupid for even trying to throw at seams most rookie FSs will never be able to cover.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not sure how they come up with some of their rankings, but in this case they were right that he had a great game.

If I had to complain about anything, I'd say he wasn't a 'willing' tackler like Davis.

To be fair though, Vontae's affection for the big hit is a big reason why he misses so many games.  He's almost too physical for his size and position.

8 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

When that is said, I think Chris Ballard have done a pretty good job trying to turn things around.

The draft was good and the players from this years draft are already making plays, and shown us why he choose them.

But its a whole new reality with Ballard as GM, and next year when Chuck is gone, I do believe we once again will be contenders for at least a playoff spot.

This year however, I dont think we will win that many games, but I hope Im wrong, but without Luck and a whole new defence in development, I think we will end up once again with a pretty high draftpick come april. 

people will then say, are we wasting Lucks talent, well, Grigson was wasting and ruining this franchise, but we have to believe in Ballard and what he's doing. 

Things will change for the better,m but we need patience and have to trust in Ballard.

Still too bad they didn't atleast give Banner a chance.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Sheard to me seems like a run stopper, but he was brought in for pass rush purposes. Just my view on the matter. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

He made this look easy. He made it look like a stupid throw by Palmer... he made it look like he should have known the seam was covered. It wasn't covered... it got covered with time to spare because of Hooker reading the QB, his instincts and amazing closing speed. This will continue to happen. I have no doubts that Hooker will make a lot of QBs look stupid for even trying to throw at seams most rookie FSs will never be able to cover.

I wasn't that impressed with the ground he covered. No doubt Hooker has range, and he'll show it as he plays more, but this is typical center field to outside the numbers. Great instincts, great read on the QB's eyes, and that's something that made Hooker the best free safety prospect in the draft this year. And he had time to spare, so we know the range is there.

It was a really dumb throw, though.

10 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

The defense is definitely better than last season. So in that regard, he's done a good job. I think that's impressive for just one offseason. 

2 hours ago, tikyle said:

To be fair though, Vontae's affection for the big hit is a big reason why he misses so many games.  He's almost too physical for his size and position.

That could be.  He's not exactly a small guy though.

I'm not a doctor, but groin injuries aren't necessarily related to hitting someone.  

I agree but let's be honest about WHO was the one who prepared them to play in the NFL....Chuck Pagano. That is what Chuck Pagano NEEDED. Someone to BRING them these players then train them. These guys did not just train themselves. Chuck deserves alot more CREDIT for the way they played against the Cards on Sunday.

Sure he didnt have a good debut but Chuck is NOT responsible for throwing passes for Tolzien. He gave Tolzien the gameplan and he didnt DELIVER. NOT PAGANOS FAULT.

He gave Brisette the gameplan but he is still LEARNING. Had Brisette been there all training camp. Things would probably be alot BETTER right now but then again...the organization KNEW Luck was going to be out for a while so WHY did they NOT pick up someone to backup Luck?

That all goes back to Ballard and Irsay for not bringing Chuck a BETTER quarterback (Until Brisette came).

1 minute ago, bap1331 said:

I agree but let's be honest about WHO was the one who prepared them to play in the NFL....Chuck Pagano. That is what Chuck Pagano NEEDED. Someone to BRING them these players then train them. These guys did not just train themselves. Chuck deserves alot more CREDIT for the way they played against the Cards on Sunday.

Sure he didnt have a good debut but Chuck is NOT responsible for throwing passes for Tolzien. He gave Tolzien the gameplan and he didnt DELIVER. NOT PAGANOS FAULT.

He gave Brisette the gameplan but he is still LEARNING. Had Brisette been there all training camp. Things would probably be alot BETTER right now.

How do you choose which words to capitalize?