Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Moves (Countdown to 53)

TKnight24

11 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

OR they really, really like Stewart. 

Or they realized McGill has already been playing at his ceiling and won't improve much if at all.  Stewart has a lot more potential and isn't really a big drop off from McGill currently.  They probably factored in that Stewart would be a long shot to clear waivers and be placed away on our practice squad to develop further based on his size and potential.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Follow-up....

Remember what Chud did with Freeman and Lindley with roughly 3-4 days on the last week of the 2015 season.    We won the last game of the seaso with those two.

He can do more with Brissett.

Did we have a choice then, though? Now we have 2 other QBs that have been in our system for more than a year...

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question:

Would you agree that we likely could've traded Dorsett for a 4th or 5th round draft pick?     I don't think that's unreasonable.

Why would we trade him then and get no draft pick in return for a QB that you don't think will start in two weeks?

I think we traded for him because we want and need him as soon as we can get him up to speed.      That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I think we traded for a 2018 backup when Tolzien is gone..and we gave up a guy our GM didnt draft

Edited by oldunclemark

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Question:

Would you agree that we likely could've traded Dorsett for a 4th or 5th round draft pick?     I don't think that's unreasonable.

Why would we trade him then and get no draft pick in return for a QB that you don't think will start in two weeks?

I think we traded for him because we want and need him as soon as we can get him up to speed.      That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I think it would be tough to get a 4th or 5th round pick for a undersized speed receiver that has a limited route tree and a history of being nicked up. He has 50 career catches and was not a starter for us. I think that's overvaluing PD. 

16 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Who are you thinking about? TJ Bray and Clark reported to be on the bubble are here none are his guys. He cut Spence Howard JoJo bubble guys he brought in. I don't see a lot of surprises besides McGill but he couldn't get on the field before this year There's something there we don't get to see 

I just don't think Stewart performed that much better than both McGill and Parry, IMO

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wow,

mcGill

pope 

parry that's surprising they got all three and they kept 4 QBs!

McGill is a bit of a surprise but with the injuries... Parry has been expected for months I'd hoped we might get a late pick. Pope a surprise?  I was more surprised by Ayers but I bet if I go back and look at his snap count on ST's it'll be clear. It's tough to hold on at the bottom of the depth chart and not contribute on ST's.  

We will cut the QB position down soon. We will be better of behind Luck when it's all over. I'm pleased to see the attention paid to the QB position. 

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

McGill is a bit of a surprise but with the injuries... Parry has been expected for months I'd hoped we might get a late pick. Pope a surprise?  I was more surprised by Ayers but I bet if I go back and look at his snap count on ST's it'll be clear. It's tough to hold on at the bottom of the depth chart and not contribute on ST's.  

We will cut the QB position down soon. We will be better of behind Luck when it's all over. I'm pleased to see the attention paid to the QB position. 

I thought pope played well

• There are actually not many surprises here other than the things we’ve already covered today. The most notable cuts are DT T.Y. McGill, DT David Parry and ILB Edwin Jackson. Between CB Chris Culliver and CB Corey White, it seemed as if the Colts’ banged-up secondary would be welcoming one of them on-board.

I am sure that Jackson was placed on IR not CUT? Per multiple reports

Also White was released but Culliver was placed on IR the same as Jackson, not cut?

But i took SBNation's exact quote from there website and posted above as you see....  Am i missing something? 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I just don't think Stewart performed that much better than both McGill and Parry, IMO

I liked what I saw from Stewart that's who I would have kept out of the 3. He has the size for an odd front and a higher ceiling. It will be interesting to see what happens with McGill I thought he was underutilized last year and had value this year. I think he's inconsistent and his flash plays mask his short comings. 

Tough letting a guy who can actually rush the passer (McGill) go on a team that has so little pass rush. Still, Stewart has much more talent to mold.

I hope that Jhaustin Thomas gets signed to the practice squad. I think he could be a good pass rusher in time. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I thought pope played well

The writing was on the wall when he had one special team snap Thursday I thought. I also think we can upgrade from Pope after the cuts are complete We can always bring him back when the QB spot shakes out. I don't think he's going to be in demand 

Just now, akcolt said:

The writing was on the wall when he had one special team snap Thursday I thought. I also think we can upgrade from Pope after the cuts are complete We can always bring him back when the QB spot shakes out. I don't think he's going to be in demand 

I think 3 RBs on the roster is enough. With our injuries at other positions, RB is the least of our concerns.

49 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I think it would be tough to get a 4th or 5th round pick for a undersized speed receiver that has a limited route tree and a history of being nicked up. He has 50 career catches and was not a starter for us. I think that's overvaluing PD. 

Yeah,  except for the fact that A)  he was badly hurt his rookie year and missed 5-6 games and B)  those 50 catches turned into 750 yards....     that's a 15 yard average....       and his 2016 average per catch was 16 yards per.

If you're trying to sell that Dorsett only had a 6th round value,  then you're also saying you think Brissett only had a 6th round value?       I don't think that flies very far....

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Keeping 4 tight ends & Hunt over McGill is crazy.  I just hope McGill doesn't go somewhere in the division. 

Swope hasn't practiced in how long The snap count on special teams the last 2 weeks will help in understanding the TE spot. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah,  except for the fact that A)  he was badly hurt his rookie year and missed 5-6 games and B)  those 50 catches turned into 750 yards....     that's a 15 yard average....       and his 2016 average per catch was 16 yards per.

If you're trying to sell that Dorsett only had a 6th round value,  then you're also saying you think Brissett only had a 6th round value?       I don't think that flies very var....

Dorsett would get a 5th at most. Ragland(who many wanted to trade Dorsett for) went for a 5th.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you're trying to sell that Dorsett only had a 6th round value,  then you're also saying you think Brissett only had a 6th round value?       I don't think that flies very var....

Coates was traded by Pitt for a 7th. 

2 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

McGill is vastly overrated by this forum.

100% agree. But that's every player on this forum. Which brings me to my overall thoughts now that the cutdowns are done.

For all these people that keep claiming to be shocked over Dorsett, McGill, Natisn, and Ayers, let me say this. All the talks of Ballard needing to prove he's a different GM than Grigson are done. This isn't the Colts team that over values cute little project players and overrates a player that shows a couple good plays. All of the guys Ballard has released, traded, cut, or waived have all been below average players with limited upside. And it's no surprise that a good handful of those guys were Grigson guys. I think Grigson is responsible for this attitude people on this forum have where they get overly enthused about about low ceiling, lowly drafted bottom tier players. Ayers wasn't terrible but he wasn't good. His release isn't shocking. McGill was a preseason monster but nothing special. Dorsett was a bad pick and bad player.

If anything I'm surprised that guys like Good and Green made the roster. But I wouldn't expect either of them to be in the Colts long term plans. I think anyone who is surprised about any of the moves Ballard has made is living in the past.

9 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Dorsett would get a 5th at most. Ragland(who many wanted to trade Dorsett for) went for a 5th.

Two things....

First,  Ragland went for a 4th and not a 5th....

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-ship-reggie-ragland-chiefs-172532111.html

Second,   Ragland was hurt and has yet to play a down in the NFL.     Dorsett has a two year body of work that is not nearly as bad as the fans on this website would have you believe.      This is a passionate fan base.     But this is not a very well informed fan base.

Dorsett had value and that's what we got in return for him.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

True..but they have NOT said he isn't playing at LA

...we have said that

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

True they have not said he isn't, and we know he isn't... right?  But he will be playing soon I am sure

Irsay has just about come as close to saying it as he will allow any of the Colts to do-

“I would say again that the odds are most likely he probably won’t open up against the Rams,” Irsay said. “In our own minds, it’s something that we haven’t ruled out. We’re gonna again see where he’s at and it would be awesome, you know, we’re not talking Willis Reed here or something like this.”

Here is the reed story-

http://www.nba.com/history/reedwins_moments.html

So Luck isn't playing, (with near certainty) and he's not taking an injection and getting out there and play a series or two to motivate the troops either.  It's not the Super Bowl.  I think Luck may even be a 'healthy scratch' {pardon the pun} for game 1.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I said I didn't think we could get a 4/5 round pick for Dorsett you came up with the rest all by yourself. 

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Irsay has just about come as close to saying it as he will allow any of the Colts to do-

“I would say again that the odds are most likely he probably won’t open up against the Rams,” Irsay said. “In our own minds, it’s something that we haven’t ruled out. We’re gonna again see where he’s at and it would be awesome, you know, we’re not talking Willis Reed here or something like this.”

Here is the reed story-

http://www.nba.com/history/reedwins_moments.html

So Luck isn't playing, (with near certainty) and he's not taking an injection and getting out there and play a series or two to motivate the troops either.  It's not the Super Bowl.  I think Luck may even be a 'healthy scratch' {pardon the pun} for game 1.

So...

If we didn't have bad Luck, we'd have no Luck at all.