Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Moves (Countdown to 53)

TKnight24

52 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Krunk you watch the Raiders? I saw they released S Calhoun. I doubt he can help in coverage but he could get after the QB at Michigan State. 

From what I've read he did next to nothing with the Raiders for whatever the case

55 minutes ago, IinD said:

Could be totally wrong so don't quote me, but I remember thinking along the lines of what you're saying and had a friend who knows more about this stuff tell me once that if you played a certain amount of games in first 2 seasons, you lose eligibility in the third. 

They recently made a change.  Up to 4 players that have played 2 seasons or less can be put on the PS.  Once a players has played at least 6 games (or was IR'd and the like) in season 3, then they are no longer PS eligible.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

What's the difference between Jacoby Brissett and Stephen Morris?

10 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That's my question too. Brissett had a great 4th preseason game but I think all in all he and Morris are pretty much on the same level. And they're really close in age so I don't think one has too much higher of a ceiling than the other.

Both also seem to struggle in the same areas, accuracy issues from what I've read.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

He's played in three games, with moderate success, for the best team and best coaching staff in the NFL. They ran a modified offense for him because of his limitations as a passer, which include inaccurate passing, inconsistent mechanics, and a tendency to break the pocket too soon. Morris has the same issues, except he actually stands in the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield. 

These two guys are so incredibly similar, the main difference is Brissett actually was given a chance to play. Maybe Morris would have crashed and burned if he was given a chance, but on tape, there isn't a lot of difference between them at all. 

I don't think the sample size for game day play with top tier opponents is large enough to determine anything yet.  But scouts for the drafts had notes on them-

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jacoby-brissett?id=2555261

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/stephen-morris?id=2543731

They were taken about the time their draft round prediction says, too. Brissett in round 3  was spot on, Morris was rated 5-6 round, went UDFA.

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This isn't correct for the 2017 Reserve/PUP. The rules are-

Once a player is transferred to the Reserve/PUP-

Players are prevented from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season. If a player isn't activated after the sixth week, the team has a window (from the day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to:

1.) place the player on injured reserve
2.) release the player
3.) get him back to practice.

As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53 man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/27/16026610/nfl-training-camps-2017-pup-nfi-ir-roster-designations

After six weeks are in the books, teams have another six week window for that player to begin practicing. If they're unable to practice when this window expires, they remain on the PUP list for the rest of the season. Once they do practice, teams have 21 days to make a decision:

1) Activate the player to the 53-man roster

2) Release/waive the player or

3) Do nothing and keep him on the PUP list. If teams maximize all their windows, a player could be held out and not activated until well into December, just like the Bengals did with AJ McCarron in 2014.

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Your turn... Why do you prefer Morris over Brissett?

Because I like how Morris played when I saw him very much, and he was already on the roster. 

When the decision makers on the Colts consistently played Tolzien over Morris, and worse, Walker over Morris for the first 2 games, why should I trust them when they bring Brissett in? 

I certainly hope their decision was not based on Brissett's performance against Giants' 3rd stringers or in the Pats win against Houston in the regular season due to Belichick's team outstanding game planning ( he barely managed 200 yards struggling with team scoring 0 points the next game against the Bills). 

Some thoughts after sleeping on it, and with the knowledge that Ballard isn't completely done.

Our WR group would be fine if healthy, but a little worrying considering Moncrief and Chester have had trouble staying healthy in camp. I don't expect Ballard to add to that group but he might. 5 WR's is usually enough, but at least one of those two has to be and stay healthy.

Our ILB group was already projected as our big weakness and yeah, wow. I'm admittedly not a big Bostic fan but I'll be looking for him to prove me wrong. They're going to struggle in coverage. I like our OLB's though, but I really wish we could've kept Ayers. Fully expect Ballard to get at least an ILB though.

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/27/16026610/nfl-training-camps-2017-pup-nfi-ir-roster-designations

After six weeks are in the books, teams have another six week window for that player to begin practicing. If they're unable to practice when this window expires, they remain on the PUP list for the rest of the season. Once they do practice, teams have 21 days to make a decision:

1) Activate the player to the 53-man roster

2) Release/waive the player or

3) Do nothing and keep him on the PUP list. If teams maximize all their windows, a player could be held out and not activated until well into December, just like the Bengals did with AJ McCarron in 2014.

There is nothing here different from my post, just worded slight different.  Same information.

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There is nothing here different from my post, just worded slight different.  Same information.

I could say the same.

Yet you said I was incorrect. 

Maybe you should have just said you were adding to my thoughts. 

6 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

What time will we find out about waivers? It'll be interesting to see who we pick up.

My understanding is all players will clear today at 1:00 pm EST. That is when we can sign 10 to the practice squad. However, I am sure some wise guy will correct me and say that we can sign players at 12:00 pm CST.

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

My understanding is all players will clear today at 1:00 pm EST. That is when we can sign 10 to the practice squad. However, I am sure some wise guy will correct me and say that we can sign players at 12:00 pm CST.

We can sign players at 10:00 PST. :lol:

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I could say the same.

Yet you said I was incorrect. 

Maybe you should have just said you were adding to my thoughts. 

OH, I thought I read your post as saying the player could practice after 5 weeks. (it's 6, initially, we both know). If that isn't what was said, then my bad.  I don't wan to go back and look it up, so we can just agree to this latest information posted by us both here now and go on.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, Bluefire4 said:

We're gonna need help at ILB. Bostic has not performed like a starter this preseason and Anthony Walker is not ready to play real NFL games. I would have kept Spence for his experience alone but we need to do something.

I'm fine with everything else.

I liked the Spence signing at the time but he was one of the worst players on the field playing with a bunch of back ups . There is a reason he dropped to the bottom of the depth chart during camp .

45 minutes ago, B~Town said:

I liked the Spence signing at the time but he was one of the worst players on the field playing with a bunch of back ups . There is a reason he dropped to the bottom of the depth chart during camp .

I thought he played well enough to make it, but couldn't stay on the field.  Story of his career.  If he could stay healthy, he can play.