Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Green's Week 3 PFF Grades - 81.7

OffensivelyPC

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-move-from-safety-to-cornerback-paying-dividends-for-colts-t-j-green

I thought this was interesting.  I saw him got beat once or twice - not Landry bad, but it wasn't just a better play by the WR, either.  Nevertheless, he graded 2nd highest for the game.  I've seen the flashes and I think the sooner he can learn to look back and play the ball once its int he air, he could actually work into a starter role.  I think the coverage portion of his game is getting there.  But he struggles finding the ball sometimes (which was always one of the problems with him in the first place).  

Not many people will respond to this because it doesn't fit into their preconceived idea that Green should not be on a football field.

I'm not a fan of PFF grades but I will say it's interesting to see such a big jump from one week to the next.  I didn't get to see much of the game yet but I assume most of his snaps came against Landry and not Big R.

If TJ works out at CB, that's great for us. I'm only hard on him cause I watched him at Clemson and I feel like he should be a lot better than what he is at this point, I get the NFL is faster and harder to learn but I'm really hoping to see that dawg I saw at Clemson when they were shutting folks down

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not many people will respond to this because it doesn't fit into their preconceived idea that Green should not be on a football field.

I'm not a fan of PFF grades but I will say it's interesting to see such a big jump from one week to the next.  I didn't get to see much of the game yet but I assume most of his snaps came against Landry and not Big R.

To the bolded, absolutely true.  He was in on the second unit, and never played against anyone near the caliber of Antonio Brown.  But still, I think the takeaway is a good one.  Beat your current competetiion consistently enough and we'll bump you up to the next level when we're all ready.  When or if that ever happens we'll see, but it's better than the alternative headline, which is that he crashed and burned all game long against nobodies. 

12 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

If TJ works out at CB, that's great for us. I'm only hard on him cause I watched him at Clemson and I feel like he should be a lot better than what he is at this point, I get the NFL is faster and harder to learn but I'm really hoping to see that dawg I saw at Clemson when they were shutting folks down

He maybe should be further, and he may never get to where he needs to be.  The thing holding him back isn't his athleticism, it's his reactionary and decision making that's a hindrance.  At least in man coverage, it changes the analysis from having to survey the entire field to reading the man in front of you.  while neither are easy, the latter requires a bit less information to process quickly (don't quote me on that, but that's my understanding).

I'd do what Belichick does anyways, bracket the #1 wide out with the #2 CB and a safety and shut down the #2 wide out with the #1 CB. This would safeguard T.J.Green while letting him grow into that #2 CB position, IMO. It is good to have multiple CBs that can play outside, no doubt about it. 

While we are experimenting a few things, I'd be keen to see how Quincy does in a short area as a slot CB since his run support is a strength of his and not long speed.

Just now, IndyD4U said:

I must be one of the odd balls that is pulling for Green. He hasn't been terrible in this transition

I like it so far. It'd be great if he started to create turnovers, but I'm not gonna complain about him locking down his side of the field, which he seems to be doing. Obviously he's going to give up a completion here and there, but he looks way better at CB than he did at safety at any point last season.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Only a matter of time before someone tries to put a negative spin on this, but I don't care, I like what I see. With Geathers on PUP and Vontae potentially missing time with his groin injury, I find this very encouraging.

So if Davis and Geathers are out, do they go with Green (maybe hairston) and Wilson at corner? Butler nickel with Hooker and Farley at S? 

10 minutes ago, life long said:

So if Davis and Geathers are out, do they go with Green (maybe hairston) and Wilson at corner? Butler nickel with Hooker and Farley at S? 

Yeah, something like that I'd guess. I see it being a pretty rotational group, especially at CB. Sounds like they really want to be able to move those guys around for different looks, so it could be interesting.

Meh...that's a pretty generous grade. He wasn't terrible...but he wasn't very good either.

He was only targeted four times and one of those was an underthrown deep ball that he got burnt badly on. Credit to him for having the make up speed though. 

Also, on 3rd and 10, he completely blew a tackle on a short pass to Smith-Schuster that turned into a 15-yard gain.

He's got a long ways to go as a CB...but he doesn't look as bad as he did last season. 

I don't think he was that good against Pittsburgh. He didn't give up any production, so it's easy to say he played well. But I'm looking for the details, specifically when the ball is in the air. He got stacked up by Justin Hunter on a deep ball, and he would have been defenseless against a better throw. He battled as the ball arrived on another play, but didn't have the awareness to find the ball as it was coming.

He also failed to wrap up on a run stop opportunity, which is annoying.

He's tough, physically and mentally. I thought he was done after he took that big collision. Then he's back out there running around and hitting guys just as much. Meanwhile, we have a half dozen guys nursing ailments for the last two weeks, including guys in the secondary. Not a shot at anyone, but Green stays available, and that's a good thing.

The issues are still with awareness and technique, and at times, discipline. I think his technique can be coached up, and discipline will come as he settles in. I don't think he'll ever have high level awareness, but he can definitely get better at finding the ball in the air. 

On a curve, this grade would put him at the front of the class. He wasn't that good, but I see promise with him. 

1 hour ago, Major_Adobe said:

I'm betting that Butler goes back to corner. 

I thought that at first, but Butler is better at nickel and it would allow him to rotate to and from safety easier. Plus IMO he does not have the size we want for the outside. Green and Hairston do.

2 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

HEy as one of Green's primary haters here I'll be very happy to admit that any good news is great to hear for the guy. Anything that means he might be a player for us and not an athlete. I'm a Colts fan first, and a haterade drinker second (and third)

What's wrong with being an athlete?

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One completion is all I saw against him. No news is good news in the CB business (and most client oriented businesses too).

He was super active tackling, also. He's scrappy and tough, and doesn't back down. He's a nice prospect, from what I see so far. 

3 hours ago, life long said:

I thought that at first, but Butler is better at nickel and it would allow him to rotate to and from safety easier. Plus IMO he does not have the size we want for the outside. Green and Hairston do.

I agree that he's best in the nickel but I'd still place him as one of our top corners in base w/ Vontae out. Athleticism with experience beats a lot of measurables. 

16 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think he was that good against Pittsburgh. He didn't give up any production, so it's easy to say he played well. But I'm looking for the details, specifically when the ball is in the air. He got stacked up by Justin Hunter on a deep ball, and he would have been defenseless against a better throw. He battled as the ball arrived on another play, but didn't have the awareness to find the ball as it was coming.

He also failed to wrap up on a run stop opportunity, which is annoying.

He's tough, physically and mentally. I thought he was done after he took that big collision. Then he's back out there running around and hitting guys just as much. Meanwhile, we have a half dozen guys nursing ailments for the last two weeks, including guys in the secondary. Not a shot at anyone, but Green stays available, and that's a good thing.

The issues are still with awareness and technique, and at times, discipline. I think his technique can be coached up, and discipline will come as he settles in. I don't think he'll ever have high level awareness, but he can definitely get better at finding the ball in the air. 

On a curve, this grade would put him at the front of the class. He wasn't that good, but I see promise with him. 

Well, it being preseason, I'm sure that the evaluators at PFF don't account for who his opponent was, just that he "won" the play.  If he's in with the first team, I sincerely doubt he grades out as high as he did.  But I did notice the plays you mentioned.  I remember him getting beat but got lucky the ball wasn't thrown better.  Don't remember the missed tackle though.

It's good to hear good things about him.

However I have to point out that it is only preseason.    That is brought up in every thread that is at all negative on the Colts play this preseason.    It has to go both ways.  

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, it being preseason, I'm sure that the evaluators at PFF don't account for who his opponent was, just that he "won" the play.  If he's in with the first team, I sincerely doubt he grades out as high as he did.  But I did notice the plays you mentioned.  I remember him getting beat but got lucky the ball wasn't thrown better.  Don't remember the missed tackle though.

Here's a pretty bad one. Doesn't wrap up on a short pass and Smith-Schuster is able to convert the 3rd and 10.

Go to the 6:26 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt9t9jsZ6jw