Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Green's Week 3 PFF Grades - 81.7

OffensivelyPC

18 hours ago, Major_Adobe said:

I'm betting that Butler goes back to corner. 

I'll take that bet. There is a reason Butler was moved to S. The last season he played in the slot full time he gave up a QB rating of 118 when targeted. He's never been very good lined up outside. I don't want to see Butler at corner unless it's an emergency.  

I think we look to add a CB after cuts. Especially if Davis is out for any length of time. This draft class saw a record number of CB's selected the first 2 days. There has be turnover at the position.  Ballard will have options. He might look at Acker if KC cuts him as projected. 

AK for the life of me I can't understand why you keep quoting that tired stat of Butler in the slot from at least 3 seasons ago. The entire defense was bad that season. And everybody knows they were on the field way more than they needed to be because of a very ineffective offense. Use something more recent. You still my bro but arrrrgh!

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

AK for the life of me I can't understand why you keep quoting that tired stat of Butler in the slot from at least 3 seasons ago. The entire defense was bad that season. And everybody knows they were on the field way more than they needed to be because of a very ineffective offense. Use something more recent. You still my bro but arrrrgh!

Do you want to see Butler at CB? I like stats Krunk you gotta know that. I'll come up with new material just for you. 

53 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yup, just last year he had a really good rating in the slot.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/11/29/darius-butler-leagues-best-slot-cornerback/

"According to Pro Football Focus, Indianapolis Colts cornerback Darius Butler has allowed the league’s lowest opposing passer rating when targeted of any player at his position covering the slot"

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup, just last year he had a really good rating in the slot.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/11/29/darius-butler-leagues-best-slot-cornerback/

"According to Pro Football Focus, Indianapolis Colts cornerback Darius Butler has allowed the league’s lowest opposing passer rating when targeted of any player at his position covering the slot"

he did well at safety last year too

the question is can he keep that up.  its pretty hard to say, he doesnt look like a safety but he has always had a knack for finding the ball and sometimes making big plays 

39 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Do you want to see Butler at CB? I like stats Krunk you gotta know that. I'll come up with new material just for you. 

What about the stats for Butler covering the slot from 2016? The ones Fisticuffs just posted in this thread? Why dont you use those? That's from last year

Its possible he could be getting old and if Ballard felt that after watching multiple practices and preseason games then I'm cool with that. But lets not use old stats to prove that. There were other factors that played into those numbers.

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, it being preseason, I'm sure that the evaluators at PFF don't account for who his opponent was, just that he "won" the play.  If he's in with the first team, I sincerely doubt he grades out as high as he did.  But I did notice the plays you mentioned.  I remember him getting beat but got lucky the ball wasn't thrown better.  Don't remember the missed tackle though.

Yeah I'm not dinging him because of the opponent, I just named the receiver to specify the play. Charlie Batch said Hunter couldn't finish the catch because his shoe was coming off, but that was on the final step. The ball was just slightly overthrown, and that would have been a spectacular catch either way. Green was almost step for step, but he lost position when the ball was in the air. To me, that's a loss for him. And that's a tough way to grade, but his 1/5 for 6 yards line would have been a lot different with a better throw.

The missed tackle didn't go as a missed tackle because another defender was right there to help finish the play. But Green fired in with his shoulder, the back was somewhat able to stay on his feet, and then help arrived. I want to see Green tackle with proper form, and he didn't there.

I'm pointing out his issues, but I don't mean to suggest that he didn't play a good game. Overall, he did. But an 80+ grade from PFF is top of the class, and I don't think his performance was top of the class good. 

26 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he did well at safety last year too

the question is can he keep that up.  its pretty hard to say, he doesnt look like a safety but he has always had a knack for finding the ball and sometimes making big plays 

Yeah, definitely. I think he's pretty important for at least this year though, especially since Vontae could be out for a while. I'm kinda hoping they move him to CB if that's the case, could use some veteran presence there. Then again so could safety.

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah I'm not dinging him because of the opponent, I just named the receiver to specify the play. Charlie Batch said Hunter couldn't finish the catch because his shoe was coming off, but that was on the final step. The ball was just slightly overthrown, and that would have been a spectacular catch either way. Green was almost step for step, but he lost position when the ball was in the air. To me, that's a loss for him. And that's a tough way to grade, but his 1/5 for 6 yards line would have been a lot different with a better throw.

The missed tackle didn't go as a missed tackle because another defender was right there to help finish the play. But Green fired in with his shoulder, the back was somewhat able to stay on his feet, and then help arrived. I want to see Green tackle with proper form, and he didn't there.

I'm pointing out his issues, but I don't mean to suggest that he didn't play a good game. Overall, he did. But an 80+ grade from PFF is top of the class, and I don't think his performance was top of the class good. 

Oh I agree with you.  He's not there yet and the grade was higher than I would've anticipated.  I do think that I like the positional move, though.  

On 8/29/2017 at 9:42 AM, krunk said:

Again I still enjoy talking ball wit ya big bro so no offense!!!!!;

It takes a little more than that to offend me boss. I had not seen those numbers on Butler from last year. I'm always happy to see guys play well. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

To the bolded, absolutely true.  He was in on the second unit, and never played against anyone near the caliber of Antonio Brown.  But still, I think the takeaway is a good one.  Beat your current competetiion consistently enough and we'll bump you up to the next level when we're all ready.  When or if that ever happens we'll see, but it's better than the alternative headline, which is that he crashed and burned all game long against nobodies. 

I'm a well known TJ Green hater. But Pittsburgh is like 6 deep at wide out. And yeah some nobodies played, but after Brown, Bryant, and Rogers they have JuJu, Coats, and yeah DHB who's still a vet WR, plus Hunter who's talented just hasn't put it together. Prolly never will. But he did show some flashes his first 2 years. He had almost 500 yards his rookie or maybe 2nd season. In the right situation he might be a much better player IDK.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

saw green do 2 shoulder hits for tackles instead of wrapping up, this allowed 2 gains for first downs. needs to learn to wrap up tackle, he should know this by now, needs work

our entire team needs to learn how to wrap up and has needed to learn that for years, its a lost art in the league mostly anymore. The big, jarring, highlight hits are what players love to do, even at the cost of missing the play from time to time. I don't understand how coaches don't get that corrected by sitting or cutting these guys on teams for kids that can wrap up and tackle. idk

7 hours ago, Jdubu said:

our entire team needs to learn how to wrap up and has needed to learn that for years, its a lost art in the league mostly anymore. The big, jarring, highlight hits are what players love to do, even at the cost of missing the play from time to time. I don't understand how coaches don't get that corrected by sitting or cutting these guys on teams for kids that can wrap up and tackle. idk

i concur