Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Come on PFF... this is crap.

BR-549

I mean, 8-8 2 straight seasons. 

This isn't exactly a respectable team 

I personally have our ceiling at 12-4 but wouldn't be surprised at all if we field a losing record 

Least with a losing record a lot of you would get your wish...... Pagano would be fired 

I recently watched the Houston at Indy game, which basically killed the playoffs for us.  

I couldnt help but think how so many of the players who didn't perform well probably won't even make the team this year.  And how we still could have won that game. 

I'm very optimistic, not SB optimistic, but definitely division winner.  (SB optimism next year).  

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

Forgive me if I am posting something that has been posted already, or merge it.  I just read this article and have to say I don't like it, nor do I agree with it- in part at least.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/6/21/15850346/pff-projects-colts-to-have-losing-record-in-2017

What's so bad about the projection? They could very well finish 7-9 or maybe even a bit worse, even if Luck plays all the games.

They could also do a little better than 7-9 as well.

We will find out later this season.

Anywhere between 7-9 and 11-5 is my guess. Again, if Luck is healthy, the O line clicks and the defense is at least respectable, I think it's closer to the latter. But if the team is once again battered by injuries and the O line once again fails to show consistency, it'll be closer to the former.

Colts haven't been the popular pick to win the south in a while, which Im cool with. Let them earn the division crown back and go from there.

So many question marks...one thing we do know is the depth has improved: if guys like E Jackson, Morrison, Melvin, Magill, Goode, Butler, Farley, Rogers and Tolzein end up having to play a game or two because of injuries, we should still  be ok. 

10 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think it will be hard for this team to do worse than last year. 

I agree, the only way we will be worse is if Luck isn't healthy and cant start the season or misses a lot of games. If Luck starts the season and plays all 16 games, no way we are worse than 8-8. The team we had last season had one of the worse Defenses of all-time (we also gave away 2 games to Houston) and we still went 8-8.

10 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I think it will be hard for this team to do worse than last year. 

This.  I know there are a million factors contributing to the final W-L (and improvement is never guaranteed), but we've fielded some human garbage the past couple years and wound up 8-8. This 2017 team is far from complete, but in no way do I see them as a lower caliber team than the 2015 and 2016 versions. 

9 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

What's so bad about the projection? They could very well finish 7-9 or maybe even a bit worse, even if Luck plays all the games.

Not that it is bad for others (non Colts fans), but I guess I am expecting more out of the Colts than what they are projecting and it is a disappointing article to read.  

I agree with others that the last two years would be hard to outdo in terms of poor play and losing close games.  I would think with our additions we should win more of the close games.  It was our defense that lost games last year, we scored enough to win all of them.  I understand it will take time to gel and that we did a major overhaul.  We did the same pretty much in 2012 though right?

I get your point, but I hope they are wrong.

10 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I mean, 8-8 2 straight seasons. 

This isn't exactly a respectable team 

I personally have our ceiling at 12-4 but wouldn't be surprised at all if we field a losing record 

Least with a losing record a lot of you would get your wish...... Pagano would be fired 

I know you are not talking to me specifically, but I am neither a Pagano advocate nor hater.  I am Okay with him being our coach.  I do feel as though he gets out coached by others, BB, but we have beaten some pretty good teams with him coaching too.  

I like your ceiling, but I would be pretty disappointed if we had a losing season.  That would mean that most of the players we added during FA were not any better than the ones we had.  At least at this point.

We have Andrew Luck, I expect more than if we had almost any other QB, I am sure Irsay does too.

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

They could go 12-4 to easy schedule relatively speaking. 

Bulletin board material for TC. We seem to have plenty. I am fine going into the season as an underdog. Few are picking the colts to do well, besides some of us lol. Anything could happen, even a SB..... we will just have to wait and see.

Plus the pff article still has us finishing ahead of the texans and jags. I think that is our floor. I dont see the titans being as great as the pundits think.

1 minute ago, life long said:

Bulletin board material for TC. We seem to have plenty. I am fine going into the season as an underdog. Few are picking the colts to do well, besides some of us lol. Anything could happen, even a SB..... we will just have to wait and see.

Plus the pff article still has us finishing ahead of the texans and jags. I think that is our floor. I dont see the titans being as great as the pundits think.

I think every win will be gravy in a rebuild scenario.  I don't think were going as good as we will be in the future. I think a few years down the road and this team has a chance to be awesome. Based on keeping Luck healthy.   

I'm glad they chose the Titans to win the division because the majority of off-season predictions turn out to be wrong.  Besides the Colts always tend to do better when there's limited focus on them from the media.

25 minutes ago, Albaby said:

I'm glad they chose the Titans to win the division because the majority of off-season predictions turn out to be wrong.  Besides the Colts always tend to do better when there's limited focus on them from the media.

Yes and no. No one was talking about the Colts as contenders last year, and they stunk it up for the most part. Sure, they were only a handful of plays from being 11-5 as opposed to 8-8, but that's on the coach, and he's still there, so I'm really not sure what I should expect this season. I do still think they win the South though.

26 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

lol.... wouldn't that be a great season?  Luck gets tackled in his own end zone every single game.... 

I was thinking a bad snap and a 55yd FG each week. Along with 8 sacks and 4 forced turnovers by our defense and our running game takes 12 minute drives and drains the clock only to go for it on first down and falling short

The Colts record not only depends on how well they play, it also depends on the other teams in the division. Sooner or later the other teams will break through. If the Texans can get mediocre QB play with that defense they will be tough. Outside of playing the Colts the Titans have been pretty good. Coughlin doesn't put up with a bunch of crap so who knows what the Jags will do. 

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, the only way we will be worse is if Luck isn't healthy and cant start the season or misses a lot of games. If Luck starts the season and plays all 16 games, no way we are worse than 8-8. The team we had last season had one of the worse Defenses of all-time (we also gave away 2 games to Houston) and we still went 8-8.

Seriously, PFF has lost focus on the fact that we have added an anchor on the defensive line in Hankins. That ALONE, makes this defense better, yet some how we are worse? Not very focused PFF, not very focused at all. 

3 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Not that it is bad for others (non Colts fans), but I guess I am expecting more out of the Colts than what they are projecting and it is a disappointing article to read.  

I agree with others that the last two years would be hard to outdo in terms of poor play and losing close games.  I would think with our additions we should win more of the close games.  It was our defense that lost games last year, we scored enough to win all of them.  I understand it will take time to gel and that we did a major overhaul.  We did the same pretty much in 2012 though right?

I get your point, but I hope they are wrong.

But we haven't done an overhaul. We got new scouts and a new GM. The coaching staff has remained largely intact other than a few minor tweaks. I think people are acting like this is a complete do-over from 2012 but it just simply isn't.

the Colts have kept the players that lead this team through the wins that we have had, and gotten younger/faster everywhere else. I guess we just have to let their play do the talking. But if the colts go 7-9 next year I will be shocked. 

40 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I'll say we lose our opener and then go on to win 15 games straight. Enter playoffs with a 1st round bye and win the championship. :rock::lombardi:

PFF way off here.

That's lofty, to say the least. Assuming Luck's ready to roll week 1, and the D stays relatively healthy through training camp, I could definitely see a 5-0 or 6-0 start though, that'd have all the "experts" backpedaling pretty quick.

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's lofty, to say the least. Assuming Luck's ready to roll week 1, and the D stays relatively healthy through training camp, I could definitely see a 5-0 or 6-0 start though, that'd have all the "experts" backpedaling pretty quick.

Yeah I was just kidding. Our team has a bit yet to go but I'm very anxious to see how Luck progresses after his surgery and to see our new revamped defense on the field. Our defense will look so much different than previous years.

1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:

Yeah I was just kidding. Our team has a bit yet to go but I'm very anxious to see how Luck progresses after his surgery and to see our new revamped defense on the field. Our defense will look so much different than previous years.

Same, and if Luck's rusty at all, I think they should focus more on the rushing attack. Our OL's best strength last year was run blocking, so may as well take advantage until Luck finds his rhythm. It'll give the defense a breather too.

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Same, and if Luck's rusty at all, I think they should focus more on the rushing attack. Our OL's best strength last year was run blocking, so may as well take advantage until Luck finds his rhythm. It'll give the defense a breather too.

I think we have no choice but to be run heavy. It's the only way to survive til playoffs and be more balanced. So many times we start run heavy and kinda do away with it. Last season was almost a breath of fresh air. We ran the ball consistently for the most part. We had a decent 2 punch running game with Gore and Turbin and had a RB hit over 1,000 yards rushing. That's something for us. I'm anxious for the Mack attack. Hopefully he picks up well early.