Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jabaal Sheard visiting Colts (Merged)

4 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I may be wrong and I don't have any data/facts to back this up, but my memories are, that in the past, when a player came to visit the Colts, most times they left AS A COLT  Let's hope that happens with Sheard.

Yeah we generally do pretty well when we have a guy visit. I'm feeling pretty good as of right now about us getting Sheard.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't see Sheard being our main pass rusher.

If he was signed he projects to the Rush or DE ...I would think that Rush being the area of more need is where he would be used.  It would allow a rookie to either beat him out or develop.  Just my opinion and he would have to sign first.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

How is 13 sacks the last two years bottom feeding

Sheard has not only seen a diminished amount of playing time, but he's also been less effective than a season ago or even from earlier in the year. 

He currently has 3.5 sacks in 2016. Three of them came back in Weeks 3 and 4 and the the half-sack came against the Bengals in Week 6. Since then he hasn't been able to get to the quarterback and has been pointed out being out of position and freelancing on defense. 

IMO , lock this one up. He just visited the Dolphins as he lives there. Probably just luke warm interest on both sides. Usually when a FA visits the Colts , he leaves with a horseshoe on the side of his noggin. I'll give this 80% he signs , 19% de doesn't and 1% he sits out the year.

22 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't see Sheard being our main pass rusher.

Ultimately if we can bring him in, between him and Simon we're getting a couple of decent pass rushers which should improve our pass rush enormously.  

Granted we're not getting a Von Miller or anything here.  But a couple different guys who can rush the passer will help us enormously.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ultimately if we can bring him in, between him and Simon we're getting a couple of decent pass rushers which should improve our pass rush enormously.  

Granted we're not getting a Von Miller or anything here.  But a couple different guys who can rush the passer will help us enormously.  

From what I've read, the Pats shifted back to more of a 4-3 base defense last year, so Sheard played more 4-3 DE than OLB. Hopefully he'll do better at OLB, if we get him.

4 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Didn't he play DE when the Pats were in 3-4 or am I misrembering?  If he's gonna be an OLB here then he better have some coverage skills because he is not a pass rusher 

I heard that from someone at work to that I was talking with, so I'm pretty sure it's true, even though he's sort of undersized for a 3-4 DE.

So if we did bring him in it would be interesting to see if we put him in as a DE or if we put him out at Rush OLB.  

On one hand we just signed Simon and I wouldn't move a guy's position like that after he's been effective at DE.  

On the other hand we have Anderson and Langford as our starting DE's who have both been effective when healthy.  So if they are both ready to go we are better with them on the field then without.  (Although it's fair to question how they will bounce back from injury. 

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sheard has not only seen a diminished amount of playing time, but he's also been less effective than a season ago or even from earlier in the year. 

He currently has 3.5 sacks in 2016. Three of them came back in Weeks 3 and 4 and the the half-sack came against the Bengals in Week 6. Since then he hasn't been able to get to the quarterback and has been pointed out being out of position and freelancing on defense. 

So he lacks focus and commitment.... if Hoodie couldnt get it from him, I doubt we will with hug me chuck

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I just posted it in the other Sheard thread, but Ivery been reading that the Pats shifted to more of a 4-3 base defenses last season, so Sheard played more 4-3 DE than OLB. Hopefully the shift back would help him produce again.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

A sign that Ballard is not re-signing Walden?

e.g. Simon and Sheard at starting OLB...rookie OLB takes over for one of them mid-way through the season. Ayers and Mingo as backup.

My thoughts as well.

And we add some young Edge Rushers in the draft, and don't have to play them full-time right away.

1 hour ago, BrentMc11 said:

Met with Dolphins yesterday.  He lives in Fort Lauderdale.......Dolphins would be my choice if I were him.

Not necessarily.  He's young enough that I'm guessing he just got off his rookie deal.  Guy is probably looking for the most money.  

I doubt him living in FL means all that much to him at this point.  If it did I think he would have just went ahead and signed with the Dolphins without visiting us.  

I'm guessing he's going to the team that offers him the most money.  

38 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So he lacks focus and commitment.... if Hoodie couldnt get it from him, I doubt we will with hug me chuck

Probably had something to do with the change in position. Lots of players struggle with a transition from 3-4 olb to 4-3 end or vice versa. Those knocks on him didnt start til this year. 

Also there seems to be a trend of new england players all of a sudden getting in the hoodies doghouse in their final year in new england. A lot of the time those "issues" help drive down prices and help the pats retain their talent for what almost always ends up being a bargain. 

37 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not necessarily.  He's young enough that I'm guessing he just got off his rookie deal.  Guy is probably looking for the most money.  

I doubt him living in FL means all that much to him at this point.  If it did I think he would have just went ahead and signed with the Dolphins without visiting us.  

I'm guessing he's going to the team that offers him the most money.  

I understand that.....I did say.."I would."   Lolly said basically the same thing above...He left Miami without a deal.  :thmup:

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I heard that from someone at work to that I was talking with, so I'm pretty sure it's true, even though he's sort of undersized for a 3-4 DE.

please re-read that sentence.  "I heard some guy at work say this so I'm pretty sure it's true."  A very quick search says that Sheard is 6'3" and 265 lbs.  He's not even close to the size required for a down lineman in a 3 man base front. 

19 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He is a 34 OLB OR......OR......43 DE. He has experience with both and NE moves guys around, and as somebody else said values versatility. But Sheard and Simon = Good backups. Now lets draft a couple beasts.

At least someone is a realest. Not saying that Simon or Sheard are not capable starting OLBs, But, We need a Khalil Mack, or Von Miller, or even Cameron Wake type of starting OLB. Double digit sack guys that can make a play during 4th quarter that we need, to make a stop and put the ball in Andrew's hands to down! the ball for a victory.

1 minute ago, Rackeen305 said:

At least someone is a realest. Not saying that Simon or Sheard are not capable starting OLBs, But, We need a Khalil Mack, or Von Miller, or even Cameron Wake type of starting OLB. Double digit sack guys that can make a play during 4th quarter, and need to make a stop to put it in Andrew's hands to down! the ball for a victory.

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!! Sobebody gets it!!!!!!!! We can get that in the draft. Takk/Williams/Charlton. We need to just go back to back in the 1st and 2nd with EDGE.

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

At least someone is a realest. Not saying that Simon or Sheard are not capable starting OLBs, But, We need a Khalil Mack, or Von Miller, or even Cameron Wake type of starting OLB. Double digit sack guys that can make a play during 4th quarter that we need, to make a stop and put the ball in Andrew's hands to down! the ball for a victory.

Indeed. They grow on trees you know. What is keeping Ballard? He's a dud just like Grigson....

Khalil Mack's and Von Miller's aren't just sitting at a bus stop waiting to be picked up.  No one in this free agent class was a Khalil Mack or Von Miller.  I want a dominant pass rusher too but people come here every year saying that we need to "at least" sign 3 of the top 4 free agents that year or we aren't trying hard enough and the front office just doesn't get it.  Silly.

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

Khalil Mack's and Von Miller's aren't just sitting at a bus stop waiting to be picked up.  No one in this free agent class was a Khalil Mack or Von Miller.  I want a dominant pass rusher too but people come here every year saying that we need to "at least" sign 3 of the top 4 free agents that year or we aren't trying hard enough and the front office just doesn't get it.  Silly.

yep, to get those player the Colts need to draft in the top 3-5 most of the time.

27 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He is a 34 OLB OR......OR......43 DE. He has experience with both and NE moves guys around, and as somebody else said values versatility. But Sheard and Simon = Good backups. Now lets draft a couple beasts.

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Let's hope we grab someone in the draft that meets your lofty expectations or we might as well get rid of Ballard too huh?  Von Miller or bust!

8 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

6 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!! Sobebody gets it!!!!!!!! We can get that in the draft. Takk/Williams/Charlton. We need to just go back to back in the 1st and 2nd with EDGE.

You realize there is NOBODY in free agency like that....not a single guy...and only 1 in the draft....who will go in the first. Unless we have a top pick in the draft and even some years with that your not going to come away with players like that. It aint happening...and if we land Sheard to go along with Simon they will be our day 1 starters unless we have an injury God forbid.

Just now, PeterBowman said:

very true, but they've drafted and signed all these big time players and they're STILL drafting in the top 5 lol

Because they don't have a qb....until they get one it will probably continue. I do think with Coughlin setting the tone in the organization it will get better.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

You realize there is NOBODY in free agency like that....not a single guy...and only 1 in the draft....who will go in the first. Unless we have a top pick in the draft and even some years with that your not going to come away with players like that. It aint happening...and if we land Sheard to go along with Simon they will be our day 1 starters unless we have an injury God forbid.

You realize I said we could get a big time talent like that in the draft???? But we need to sign or trade for the best possible player. And no they both WILL NOT be starting. Our 1st rounder will be starting whether it be Takk/Williams/Charlton or even Harris. A rookie stud next to one of those 2.

Just now, dgambill said:

Because they don't have a qb....until they get one it will probably continue. I do think with Coughlin setting the tone in the organization it will get better.

yeah he knows what he's doing for sure...now see if they can put it together.

2 hours ago, Finball said:

Patriots value versatility in their players. Sheard, along with Flowers and Long, can play as OLB one game/snap and as 5 tech the next one.

only way Sheard is playing at 5 tech is in a sub package on an obvious passing down.

Ok, So besides a Khalil Mack or Von Miller. The point is that we need  difference makers. You guys have to stop getting hungUp or Salty because posters drop big names on the board. The names are used as a simile ( a figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid )

I think a 2 year old knows that AP, or Julio Jones, or Von Millers' arent laying around. But to disregard the quality of player the aforementioned players are, and not trading to get one if they're there is small minded and silly.