Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jabaal Sheard visiting Colts (Merged)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I wonder what the numbers are. I was interested in him, just thought he'd be too expensive for what he brings. If it's less than $7m/year, I'm on board. 

Edit: Assume this means Walden is history.

i kind of had the feeling he was anyway.  My bigger question now is Butler

Just now, csmopar said:

i kind of had the feeling he was anyway.  My bigger question now is Butler

I assumed Butler was gone already, but then we cut Robinson. Of course, Butler sees himself as a safety now, so maybe that's not related at all. 

I wonder what the numbers are. I was interested in him, just thought he'd be too expensive for what he brings. If it's less than $7m/year, I'm on board. 

Honestly I'm on board anyway.  We need pass rushers.  No time to get cheap with all our cap space. 

Just now, csmopar said:

Any idea where we stand currently on the salary cap with Robinson's release and our signings.

Pending more details on Sheard, but before that, we should be around $43m still. Assume Sheard at $8-9m, given the other deals Ballard has done, and we'll be somewhere north of $33m. 

Just now, Superman said:

I like that it's a three year deal. 

Seems like the plan is exactly what I assumed last night when we were talking about Doyle's contract - give most money in the first year while we have it so we can strike next year with bigger signings/extending Moncrief/Mewhort

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pending more details on Sheard, but before that, we should be around $43m still. Assume Sheard at $8-9m, given the other deals Ballard has done, and we'll be somewhere north of $33m. 

Enough for High, Levy, and Claiborne? Or maybe Hankins instead of one of those guys???

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seems like the plan is exactly what I assumed last night when we were talking about Doyle's contract - give most money in the first year while we have it so we can strike next year with bigger signings/extending Moncrief/Mewhort

The problem is when those guys don't work out, but you've already paid 40% of their money in Year 1 (like we did with Allen, and like Doyle and Sheard). With cap rollover, I'd rather pay as you go, but it's not a great big deal. 

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Enough for High, Levy, and Claiborne? Or maybe Hankins instead of one of those guys???

I don't want any of those guys, so I hope not. I'd take Hankins at the right price, but would rather have Bennie Logan because I think he'll come for less. 

At this point, it's up to cash flow. The cap space is there, and we always knew it would but. 

I'd still like Webster and Logan, and maybe a low level veteran guard. 

The problem is when those guys don't work out, but you've already paid 40% of their money in Year 1 (like we did with Allen, and like Doyle and Sheard). With cap rollover, I'd rather pay as you go, but it's not a great big deal. 

The other part is that even if they don't work out it makes them more movable with the lower salary in the later years. Imagine if Allen had 8-9M/year on his contract for the next 2 years. Do you think we would have been able to move him at that price if he doesn't work out?

1 minute ago, stitches said:

The other part is that even if they don't work out it makes them more movable with the lower salary in the later years. Imagine if Allen had 8-9M/year on his contract for the next 2 years. Do you think we would have been able to move him at that price if he doesn't work out?

He has about $10m over the next two years, combined. He wouldn't have had a much higher yearly amount. But sure, the lower salaries over the next two years probably helped accommodate the trade. 

57 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't want any of those guys, so I hope not. I'd take Hankins at the right price, but would rather have Bennie Logan because I think he'll come for less. 

At this point, it's up to cash flow. The cap space is there, and we always knew it would but. 

Supe. I respect your opinions more than any other poster (No offense to you guys) But could you tell me why you wouldn't want those 3? Levy's had injury issues but is a top 10 ILB/MLB when healthy. Claiborne seemed to put it all together this year before he got hurt, and I love Hightower.

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Supe. I respect your opinions more than any other poster (No offense to you guys) But could you tell me why you wouldn't want those 3? Levy's had injury issues but is a top 10 ILB/MLB when healthy. Claiborne seemed to put it all together this year before he got hurt, and I love Hightower.

I don't like Hightower. I don't like ILBs with limited range who can't cover. It sounds like he'll wind up getting less money than predicted, but initial reports had him asking for $12m+, and there's just no way I'd want to spend that much on a two down, phone booth ILB.

Claiborne is very inconsistent, and he gets hurt every year.

Levy will be 30 in a couple weeks, and has played 4 games in two years. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Logan is off the board.

Signed late yesterday with Tennessee....    3/30.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Little rich, but that'll work. 

The APY is a touch high but the guaranteed money @ only 12+M is where the real benefit is of not signing the first tier guys...and at 8.5M APY it's not hard to see him living up to the full deal.

He's been a productive guy.  He's got 12.5 more sacks in 6 years than Perry does in 5.