Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats trade for Dwayne Allen [Merge]

backshoulderfade

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen is slated to make just $2.5M next season.

$4.5M in 2018 and $6.5 in '19.

Barring a very good season, rest assured those last two will be renegotiated or he's gone.

It will scare (but not surprise) anyone if he has a 2017 season similar to his rookie year.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

B/Rbreporting it's a 4th but Pats will also get a 6th.

Wow...all those saying we should trade him...I apologize he did have trade value....not much but some. We now have 3 4th rd picks....TE now a need....but I give Ballard credit...that is still more than I thought we could get.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I'm shocked by this move as Allen really wasn't very expensive for the next 2 years. The "brunt" of the contract was written in first and last year. Obviously Ballard thought he was pretty bad last year. Hopefully a little of it is they like Swoop a lot and want to get him on the field more ? In any event I'm betting it's NE's 5th which is pretty close to a 6th . If it's for their 6th , it qualify's as slightly more than just cutting him. 

I blow my horn now and then when I'm right , so I'll take my medicine on this one. I did not see this coming at all and  pretty much thought those that did were full of it.

This is why I hated the Allen contract structure. We just paid him $11.5m for one substandard season. 

But like you, I didn't see Allen having trade value. Not because of the contract -- NE has him for $4.5m in 2017 -- but because he hasn't played well. Word is we get NE's 4th, and we give up our 6th. I can live with that. This is not a bad draft to add another 4th.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

This is why I hated the Allen contract structure. We just paid him $11.5m for one substandard season. 

But like you, I didn't see Allen having trade value. Not because of the contract -- NE has him for $4.5m in 2017 -- but because he hasn't played well. Word is we get NE's 4th, and we give up our 6th. I can live with that. This is not a bad draft to add another 4th.

The salary cap has gone up 40% since Allen was drafted. 11.5 million isn't the worst. Could have paid an older Garcon 16 million like the Niners are this year (compared to 12 million for 2 years like the Gmen for Marshall). I know not the same position but a little comparison to make it hurt less.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, Not if Ballard wants to stockpile young defensive players as starters and depth. 

Like this move, and yeah can completely tell its a new regime when the Colts deal with the Pats. Dwayne gets a fresh start, which he needed. We get a 4th round and cap space, which we needed. Dwayne simply couldnt produce often enough while here due to health

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Pats trade for Dwayne Allen [Merge]
1 minute ago, B~Town said:

Hasn't NE traded for a lot of TEs last few years ?

The guy from Tampa, Bennett, Allen. Tough when all your guy had to do was not murder someone and couldn't even do that.

2 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Good thing I kept my hopes up!

Was not expecting the 6th to be included in the deal, so I'm glad!

This frees up some more cap room to pull free agents. And it jumps our 6th round pick to a 4th. So basically this will be a good trade, if Ballard can use those resources well. I've got a good feeling about it, at the moment.