Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pats trade for Dwayne Allen [Merge]

backshoulderfade

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

We have Swoope cost controlled for at least two seasons, if I understand the rule correctly.

I get Ballard's side of it. Once the previous contract was done, that $11.5m was gone. No sense in sending good money after bad. I have little problem with the trade. 

I had beef with the contract a year ago, and this is why. We just paid an underwhelming performer $11.5m, then sent him to another team under a cost controlled structure. We're paying Doyle $6.33m/year, the Pats have Allen at $5.83m/year, because we already paid 40% of the contract. 

That's on Grigson though. And part of this move was also about fixing Grigson's mistakes. What Ballard did this year is what Grigson should have done last year: Get rid of Allen and roll with Doyle. The $11m we wasted on him will go against Grigs. Ballard will get credit for having the smarts and courage to trade him.

The whole move is exceptional when you think about it. We basically just got a better TE for less than what we were paying Allen while offloading his contract on someone else and getting an extra pick in the process. 

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ballard dumps an unneeded player, clears space now and in the future, and moves up about 60 spots in the draft.  I'd say a good move.

Shows just how bad of a decision it was to sign DA in the first place at that terrible price.  Gone less than a year after its signed.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's on Grigson though. And part of this move was also about fixing Grigson's mistakes. What Ballard did this year is what Grigson should have done last year: Get rid of Allen and roll with Doyle. The $11m we wasted on him will go against Grigs. Ballard will get credit for having the smarts and courage to trade him.

The whole move is exceptional when you think about it. We basically just got a better TE for less than what we were paying Allen while offloading his contract on someone else and getting an extra pick in the process. 

What I've been saying for months.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

KNOWING NFL network, they will bash the Colts on the deal.

Honestly its a great deal for the Pats....we paid most of his salary to play for them. That said we have moved on from an inconsistent performer and freed up some cap space while moving up into the middle of the draft. To me there should still be a quality player available here and after that its all crap shoot anyways so its the best either side could hope for.

I know I might be in the minority here but Allen is good. So good the Patriots traded for him. He is a very good blocker does a lot of dirty work, and although some here say his hands are bad IMO they are not. He is a good red zone target because of his size which he does well. The Colts will miss him I believe, Doyle is good but a different kind of TE. People think Swoope is good he has shown flashes but honestly we don't know and he isn't half the blocker that Allen is IMO. This is a deep TE group in the draft that really I haven't even looked at because I didn't think we would draft one. I guess I should look now. Maybe a free agent? I do like that we get a 4th round pick in a deep draft, but why give up the 6th round pic? Freeing up money for some free agents? I really don't like dealing with the Patriots either!!!

Wow, gone for a couple hours, and 250 comments on a trade, lol. I like it. This is about what we could have hoped for for Allen. Another 4th rounder will be very valuable in this draft. If we're lucky, we can take a day 2 guy at a position of need that fell to day 3.

5 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

We are by no means set at TE.

Nope...but I don't think we have to go out and invest much money or a high pick on one. I think we have been working Swoop into the lineup the second half of last year and want to get him on the field more. Doyle is the franchise guy now so anyone we bring in should be seen as back up.

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

-Dwayne Allen is trash 

-The Patriots are geniuses who always make the right move

Pick one.  

Allen will go to the Pats and probably become the stud he never was in Indy.  Belichick usually comes out on top in trades.  I'm still glad Allen is gone as he underachieved here and was hurt too often for my liking.

Colts acquiring picks.  Some may be inclined to think it's to stockpile picks to address more needs but it could be added ammunition for a possible move up in the first round.  Maybe Ballard has his eye on someone and is positioning himself to be able to go up and get him.

4 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I know I might be in the minority here but Allen is good. So good the Patriots traded for him. He is a very good blocker does a lot of dirty work, and although some here say his hands are bad IMO they are not. He is a good red zone target because of his size which he does well. The Colts will miss him I believe, Doyle is good but a different kind of TE. People think Swoope is good he has shown flashes but honestly we don't know and he isn't half the blocker that Allen is IMO. This is a deep TE group in the draft that really I haven't even looked at because I didn't think we would draft one. I guess I should look now. Maybe a free agent? I do like that we get a 4th round pick in a deep draft, but why give up the 6th round pic? Freeing up money for some free agents? I really don't like dealing with the Patriots either!!!

I'm not saying he was bad but he was exactly what the Pats needed. Gronk insurance on a cheap controllable contract (since we paid the biggest part of it) that can block and bang and is a redzone threat....but lets not get carried away...he has never been anything more than that. Even if he fits in their system doesn't mean he was working out for us. We got the most we could out of him and moved on. I think both sides won this trade...its up to us to make good on the pick.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Nope...but I don't think we have to go out and invest much money or a high pick on one. I think we have been working Swoop into the lineup the second half of last year and want to get him on the field more. Doyle is the franchise guy now so anyone we bring in should be seen as back up.

It's about usage and the way we were using DA will not be exactly the way the Patriots will use DA. He needed a change of scenery but with his and Gronk's availability concerns, the Patriots are taking a risk, IMO. Good trade for us. For his usage with us and role, I'm certain we'll find equivalent options that won't cost as much when it's all said and done.

Just now, Coltsman1788 said:

Colts acquiring picks.  Some may be inclined to think it's to stockpile picks to address more needs but it could be added ammunition for a possible move up in the first round.  Maybe Ballard has his eye on someone and is positioning himself to be able to go up and get him.

There was that report about the 9th pick....but I'd put money on us moving back if we were going to move at all in the first. I think Ballard wants more shots at this draft to build a depleted team then move up a few picks....besides 4th rd picks aren't going to have the value to move up in the first much at all....maybe to move up our 3rd to a 2nd possibly but I doubt the first.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Wow, gone for a couple hours, and 250 comments on a trade, lol. I like it. This is about what we could have hoped for for Allen. Another 4th rounder will be very valuable in this draft. If we're lucky, we can take a day 2 guy at a position of need that fell to day 3.

Me too Jared!  I am still trying to absorb it :)

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm not saying he was bad but he was exactly what the Pats needed. Gronk insurance on a cheap controllable contract (since we paid the biggest part of it) that can block and bang and is a redzone threat....but lets not get carried away...he has never been anything more than that. Even if he fits in their system doesn't mean he was working out for us. We got the most we could out of him and moved on. I think both sides won this trade...its up to us to make good on the pick.

I"m not carried away! Its not the end of the world but hes is good IMO, and under appreciated here! He has left a hole on the Colts roster at TE IMO. Its a win for NE, and MAYBE THE COLTS. Frees up money good, and your right the making good on the trade for the Colts is whom we draft. I personally would have liked to kept the 6th round pick to.

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hope not. The two best TEs on our team were UDFA....I'm A-OK going down that route one more time or a veteran on a friendly deal. I just don't like expending picks in this draft (considering they are all pretty high now) on a TE. We can find a nice work truck beater TE after the draft especially since we just paid Doyle and we want to get Swoop more action. UDFA and stash him on the practice roster.

This draft is loaded with TE talent. We'll get a good one whether it be with a pick or after the draft. I'm confident

2 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I"m not carried away! Its not the end of the world but hes is good IMO, and under appreciated here! He has left a hole on the Colts roster at TE IMO. Its a win for NE, and MAYBE THE COLTS. Frees up money good, and your right the making good on the trade for the Colts is whom we draft. I personally would have liked to kept the 6th round pick to.

When I read most of your posts, it seems like you like every player and don't want to trade anyone or get rid of anyone. You do realize the team is in the shape it's in because the overall team is devoid of talent, right? We need to cut off the loose weight and get what we can. Rebuild quickly. This trade will allow us to take another possible starter in a deep draft and we can now start Doyle and Swoope.

2 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

This draft is loaded with TE talent. We'll get a good one whether it be with a pick or after the draft. I'm confident

Yeah I would be happy with just back up veteran or an UDFA. I want both Doyle and Swoopes on the field. Don't need someone to necessarily step in unless we have injuries.

So, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I now see our picks as thus.......

#15,#46,#80,#122, #137, (this is the 4th for from NE) #144, #158,#215 & #233. We gave NE #200 in the Allen deal but.........Someone said we moved up 15 spots so, I'm thinking #215 is that pick.

Anybody??

1 minute ago, coltsfansince65 said:

#15,#46,#80,#122, #137, (this is the 4th for from NE) #144, #158,#215 & #233. We gave NE #200 in the Allen deal but.........Someone said we moved up 15 spots so, I'm thinking #215 is that pick.

Anybody??

We haven't had #233 for a long time. We traded #215 just now. The top 7 are our picks.

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Why are the Colts giving up their 6th rounder in this deal?  Colts get a 4th (last pick in round so basically a 5th) and Pats get Allen and a sixth??

I wish Ballard would have called BB's bluff and kept our 6th.  There's little doubt in my mind they would have still done the deal and looked good for it.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Chris Ballard likes to obtain draft picks instead of trading them away. What a concept. He's the antithesis of Grigson.

He's not even going to draft anyone, he'll just trade away all his picks for future picks, every year.

???

We don't know what Ballard is. But I hope he's not the kind of guy who would refuse to give up a pick for a good player. Vontae for a 2nd was one of Grigson's best deals. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I would be happy with just back up veteran or an UDFA. I want both Doyle and Swoopes on the field. Don't need someone to necessarily step in unless we have injuries.

Personally I think we'll draft one. I like George Kittle from Iowa. Had a great combine. Reminds me a lot of Dallas Clark. Not quite the same down field threat but iowa churns out good TE's. Still a program that requires their TE's to block and catch passes.

2 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Why are the Colts giving up their 6th rounder in this deal?  Colts get a 4th (last pick in round so basically a 5th) and Pats get Allen and a sixth??

colts got a 4 and 6 from NE at least that is what NFL.com says and gave a DA and a 6th to NE

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Chris Ballard likes to obtain draft picks instead of trading them away. What a concept. He's the antithesis of Grigson.

Depends on what he does with them.  It does you no good to trade away Allen for a 4th if you waste your 4th rounder on a bust. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

He's not even going to draft anyone, he'll just trade away all his picks for future picks, every year.

???

We don't know what Ballard is. But I hope he's not the kind of guy who would refuse to give up a pick for a good player. Vontae for a 2nd was one of Grigson's best deals. 

Trent Richardson for a 1st was another great one

3 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Anybody??

I think we can safely say Superman's job is safe on these boards....no that isn't correct. Not trying to be mean but we have a first, second, third, and 3 fourths, and a 5th now. That is it. That said I always wait on Supes to have all the official info.