Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's expectation

Colts1324

Not mine, not yours, but what do you think Irsay's minimum expectations are for next year? Is Pagano gone if we don't win more than 11 games and advance past the divisionalcard round? Does Irsay expect a 12-4 + season with Luck going into his sixth season or do you think he keeps Pagano if we just simply make the playoffs. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Not mine, not yours, but what do you think Irsay's minimum expectations are for next year? Is Pagano gone if we don't win more than 11 games and advance past the divisionalcard round? Does Irsay expect a 12-4 + season with Luck going into his sixth season or do you think he keeps Pagano if we just simply make the playoffs. 

I think he would want significant improvement on the defensive side of the ball.  And playoffs without getting whooped in them.

I think he should want at least a playoff victory with massive defensive improvement. And an ability to beat over .500 teams.

Unfortunateky I can see him settling with a playoff appearance.

Will be interesting to see how much of an impact the opinion of the new GM makes.

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

The colts have the ability to beat the patriots. It's like the colts stay competitive for one qtr maybe, and then crap themselves because they realize they're playing the patriots. 

We do not have the ability right now our D would get absolutely destroyed 

I think that if Irsay had been able to replace Pagano with a big name then he would have done it last year or this year.

Bringing in a new GM almost guarantees Pagano is gone after this season, imo. Even if it isn't a big name coach Irsay seems to prefer.

I don't think it matters what this team accomplishes short of a Super Bowl. I think Pagano will be replaced after this season. Heck, there is still a chance Irsay changes his mind on keeping him one more year though I would be surprised if he did at this a point.

Considering how much talent this D lacks, I don't know how some are expecting at least a playoff win. Sure, it would be nice, especially if you host that playoff game, but realistically, if Indy wins the division (which won't be easy, Tennessee is coming on), and shows general improvement defensively, then I see Pags staying.

The only way I see them firing him even if they make the playoffs is if they get killed in round 1, on top of having a mediocre 8-8/9-7 record in the regular season (essentially meaning they made the playoffs because the rest of the division sucked).

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

We don't play the pats next year unless we meet in the playoffs

Yeah I predict us to be the 3rd seed next year and play Oakland in the divisional round. I think pats still take number 1 seed as of right now. Dion Lewis and Gronk will take that team to another level if he stays completely healthy. 

3 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I think he should want at least a playoff victory with massive defensive improvement. And an ability to beat over .500 teams.

Unfortunateky I can see him settling with a playoff appearance.

Will be interesting to see how much of an impact the opinion of the new GM makes.

That's my biggest fear for this franchise going forward. Settling with an average HC. 

I dont think the record will necessarily matter to Irsay. 

I think with Grigson being fired and Pagano getting to keep his job despite being "tied at the hip", Irsay has shown that he believes that the main issue with the team is the lack of talent brought in. A talented defense obviously cant be made in 1 offseason, so I think Irsay realizes that this will be a multi year process and as long as positive steps are being made, he will be happy. 

He is giving Pagano one last chance to prove that he can be the guy to turn this team around, and unless we see an end (or at least a big decline) in the terrible game planning, lack of discipline (missed tackles, drops, penalties, etc) and questionable coaching decisions (oddly timed challenges/timeouts, ridiculous fake punts, constantly throwing on 3rd/4th and inches) then Pagano will be shown the door. Chances of this major turnaround are slim to none, and I fully expect Pagano to be gone by this time next year. 

That being said, if Pagano does make these changes and at least show a big improvement, then we will see results not only on the field, but in the standings. If we upgrade our defensive talent this offseason and cut down on stupid coaching decisions we have a chance at a deep playoff run. 

6 hours ago, Don Beach said:

With an 8 - 8 Head Coach do you really believe he can get the team to the playoffs?

Regardless of the GM sins Pagano has had the best QB in the league and the best he can do is 8 & 8!!  He should be shown the door like all the others he has fired!

Why do you think he's "an 8-8 head coach"....

For his first three years he was an 11-5 head coach.     And he went further in the playoffs each year.

If you want to look at the Big Picture,  he's 49-31, plus 3-3 in the playoffs.

As to 2017....

I think Irsay would want at least 10 wins,  to win the AFC South and not a Wild Card,  and at least a good showing in the post-season.      That's a very loose set of goals and gives everyone some flexibility either way.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do you think he's "an 8-8 head coach"....

For his first three years he was an 11-5 head coach.     And he went further in the playoffs each year.

If you want to look at the Big Picture,  he's 49-31, plus 3-3 in the playoffs.

As to 2017....

I think Irsay would want at least 10 wins,  to win the AFC South and not a Wild Card,  and at least a good showing in the post-season.      That's a very loose set of goals and gives everyone some flexibility either way.

You are wasting your time, the Chuck haters don't acknowledge what he accomplished from 2012-2014, remember that doesn't count to them haha. What is funny is, the best job he probably done was in 2015 with Andrew missing 9 games because we still went 8-8 without our franchise QB.

6 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The colts have the ability to beat the patriots. It's like the colts stay competitive for one qtr maybe, and then crap themselves because they realize they're playing the patriots. 

Not true at all.. We do not have a good defense..when  we play very well, we are average

..not enough edge rushers..not enough corners; we lack speed at LB...our=D-line is regularly overpowered.

'we struggle to contain jacksonville, as we all know

7 hours ago, Don Beach said:

With an 8 - 8 Head Coach do you really believe he can get the team to the playoffs?

Regardless of the GM sins Pagano has had the best QB in the league and the best he can do is 8 & 8!!  He should be shown the door like all the others he has fired!

The worst Pagano has done is 8-8

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

If we make the playoffs he will be...and should be

JUST making the playoffs shouldn't be enough ... he needs to show marked improvement in game planning, decision making, and player development/fundamentals on top of making the playoffs (by winning the division not a wildcard) ... and even then we need to win at least the first playoff game, or at the very least look very good/competitive in the loss ... anything short of that and he should be replaced.

11 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I think his objectives haven't changed: multiple SB titles with Luck. Reaching that objective requires Colts being considered as contender almost every season and reaching to championship games. And of course, Colts need to find out how to beat Pats...

11 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it will be more of the same of the last few seasons.

Meanning he will want to replace pagano with a BIG NAME HC and fail again and he will be stuck again with him.

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

when was that?

It would be nice to have a defense that can consistently stop the patriots, but the fact that we get blown out is because our offense can't score vs them. We get embarrassed on offense more than defense. I would say talent wise, our offense is tops in the league and yet lay an egg vs the pats. Yeah it would be great to consistently stop them, but you can't blame no scoring on defense. I can't tell you when the colts made them punt. That's an unreasonable question for you to ask. 

Imo this team knows they have to win a shoot out vs the pats, and fail to score almost every game vs them. Any defensive stop that we have is helping our offense, and our offense won't take advantage of that, rare gift the defense gives them.