Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No comments from Irsay yet [Merge]

azcolt

12 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Jim tweeted out roster moves yesterday.

Does anybody really think he'd be letting Grigson make roster moves if anything was changing?

signing nobodies to below bottom of roster "futures" contracts?  Absolutely, every team in the league does that the day the season ends.....  nothing to negotiate, they take it or leave it, and they always take it..... don't even need a GM to get those temporary deals done, all they are for is to call dibs on a guy and let him use your facilities to train in the offseason.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

signing nobodies to below bottom of roster "futures" contracts?  Absolutely, every team in the league does that the day the season ends.....  nothing to negotiate, they take it or leave it, and they always take it..... don't even need a GM to get those temporary deals done, all they are for is to call dibs on a guy and let him use your facilities to train in the offseason.

Yeah, it's entirely possible Irsay knew he wanted those guys signed to reserve deals and either got it done himself or got somebody else to.

But I just figure with Irsay keeping quiet, it could be that he possibly expected Pagano's presser to quiet the doubts about him not coming back, and that everybody's going on like business as usual.

I really hope I'm wrong though. Because if Irsay thought that Pagano's presser did anything but raise doubts then he's clueless.

To be honest I think Irsay tasked Grigson and Pagano yesterday to come up with a compelling reason as to why he should have faith in them working out a much improved season. Maybe they have a meeting tonight and Irsay will make his decision.

But ultimately I think Pagano will do his best car sales man stunt and sugar lips Irsay up. 

:sigh:

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Jim is smart enough to know that silence lets the rumour mill go wild. Continued silence is bad for Irsay, the coaches, the fans, media and the players. Everyone is sitting in limbo. 

Im thinking Irsay is cooking something up. Anybody think he might be shopping Pagano somehow? Can't think of any other reason he's let this go for so long.

I keep trying to say it's probably nothing but this isn't making any sense. Like you said, he knows people are awaiting his word. I feel like if he was keeping both of them, he would have done it already to silence all the gossip. This isn't making any sense.

I almost feel like a big change is coming that is more complicated than a simple firing. Maybe he's firing one, making one restructure their contract, and narrowing down replacements.

7 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

To be honest I think Irsay tasked Grigson and Pagano yesterday to come up with a compelling reason as to why he should have faith in them working out a much improved season. Maybe they have a meeting tonight and Irsay will make his decision.

But ultimately I think Pagano will do his best car sales man stunt and sugar lips Irsay up. 

:sigh:

I bet he'd make a killing being a lumberjack. He loves chopping wood.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I keep trying to say it's probably nothing but this isn't making any sense. Like you said, he knows people are awaiting his word. I feel like if he was keeping both of them, he would have done it already to silence all the gossip. This isn't making any sense.

I almost feel like a big change is coming that is more complicated than a simple firing. Maybe he's firing one, making one restructure their contract, and narrowing down replacements.

That's how I feel there is no way Irsay doesn't know that the entire fan base is waiting for word weather we keep them or not. The fact we haven't heard anything is weird as hell imo 

32 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If we don't make changes I just hope the coaches available  don't turn out to be awesome head coaches and we miss out. Look what Pederson did with a rookie and that eagles roster. If he had Luck he could do even more. Adam Gase took a crappy dolphins team to the playoffs. Could of had both last year. Could hire Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels this year both of their QBs are 1 and 2 in the MVP race. 

You realize that people said the same thing in the first 2-3 seasons with Chuck. Made the playoffs each of the first 3 seasons of chucks HC coach years with Luck and a bunch of cast offs and youth. I believe the Eagles had a top rated rookie QB and a very nice oline. They aren't any different than we once were. In 3 years, fans may be ready to shoot their HC and GM too. 

Just now, Jdubu said:

You realize that people said the same thing in the first 2-3 seasons with Chuck. Made the playoffs each of the first 3 seasons of chucks HC coach years with Luck and a bunch of cast offs and youth. I believe the Eagles had a top rated rookie QB and a very nice oline. They aren't any different than we once were. In 3 years, fans may be ready to shoot their HC and GM too. 

A rookie that compares to luck in no way whatsoever he was projected to not even be ready this year while luck was 150% pro ready.

5 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

A rookie that compares to luck in no way whatsoever he was projected to not even be ready this year while luck was 150% pro ready.

You know that Manning was NFL ready too and look at that season. #1 QB's are high picks for a reason. It would have been a nice thing to sit behind a guy but you also have to be ready, this kid was and so was Luck. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

You know that Manning was NFL ready too and look at that season. #1 QB's are high picks for a reason. It would have been a nice thing to sit behind a guy but you also have to be ready, this kid was and so was Luck. 

He got ready because Pederson got him ready. And Gase has Ryan Tannehill in Miami and he took them to the playoffs with a way worse roster then we have 

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He got ready because Pederson got him ready. And Gase has Ryan Tannehill in Miami and he took them to the playoffs with a way worse roster then we have 

They don't have a worse roster. Their front 7 in Miami is a force, plus they play in the Pats' division, & still managed to make the playoffs. We have better pieces on the offensive side of the ball, but I think outside of Luck, TY, Vinny & McAffee, their roster is probably better across the board.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They don't have a worse roster. Their front 7 in Miami is a force, plus they play in the Pats' division, & still managed to make the playoffs. We have better pieces on the offensive side of the ball, but I think outside of Luck, TY, Vinny & McAffee, their roster is probably better across the board.

I think we have better everywhere on offense besides RB they have better D players but I guess the D could make them a little better then us. I know they are in the Pats division that's what I mean their roster is imo close to ours yet they make the playoffs in a harder division yet our coaching can't get us past the Texans with Osweiler and no Watt. Gase would have been an awesome hire. I just don't want Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels to do the same while we stick with the dummy lumberjack.

27 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That's how I feel there is no way Irsay doesn't know that the entire fan base is waiting for word weather we keep them or not. The fact we haven't heard anything is weird as hell imo 

Irsay knows the majority of the fan base and probably a good part of his season ticket holders is waiting to hear that changes are coming.  If that is not what Irsay has planned, then he may be reluctant to say anything just 2 days after the season ended and emotions are still running high.  He may never say anything they may just carry on business as usual and let this blow over in time. It's cowardly and i'd be ticked if i were a season ticket holder looking for explanations but i can see it happening. I also see a ton of season tickets being available next year if this happens. I have heard there is not even a wait list anymore even though it is advertised on this site?   If he is indeed working on some sort of change, it will be a huge one.  Otherwise i don't see why it has to be this hard. 

30 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Jim is also into Social Media like Twitter, etc.. I am sure with this being the Colts website, he has to read some of things being Posted.

3 hours ago, Corndog said:

It is feeling that way and I agree, he should have his mind already made up.  If the contracts are why he is keeping them, that is all on Jim for offering them.  As far as the OL is concerned, that is more of a reason to retain Grigson than Pagano.    Either way, he needs to release a statement to put the rumors to rest.  

Bottom line is that he has settled for mediocrity at this point.  We've been chopping wood now for 5 years wasting the young talent that we have.  When the heck are we going to start a fire with all that wood we've been chopping?  It's his team, his money and ultimately his decision and we all understand paying for something you no longer (GM and Head Coach) have is senseless but if your're paying for it and got something better then it's not as bad.  Those saying there's no better option out there to coach are crazy.  With the young talent that we have, coaches would salivate to come into the AFC South with the opportunity to make the playoffs year in and year out.  Sad that this is the first time since 97-98 to miss the playoffs consecutive years.  It is what it is but I'll still be sitting in my seat next season supporting the players! 

46 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You are very simple in evaluating things. It's this or that, but it can't be perhaps a total of other items on such teams. We have Luck and TY 

5 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Jim tweeted out roster moves yesterday.

Does anybody really think he'd be letting Grigson make roster moves if anything was changing?

Yes, every team offers their practice squad guys futures contracts after the season. Grigson probably isn't even needed for that process, they started working on that a couple weeks ago. 

I just want to throw a thought out there. Irsay may have several guys right now he wants for a coach, and the decision on Grigson may be made later, or the latter, Grigson is gone and the decision on Pagano would come later. All the guys he is considering are in the playoffs and he cannot talk to them unless he wants everyone else know what he is thinking.

Now most of you, me included think at least Pagano should go, and I also agree Grigson should go. Regardless what we feel, they have a good overall track record over the 5 years, and although we all think it is easy to get a great new coach and new GM, that is not the case. It is a crap shoot, and if you don't get you want, then you don't want to settle. Plus the issue of continuity also comes into play. Although Pagano and Grigson stayed last year, there was a lot of turnover which always disrupts continuity, and you better be dang sure you have who you want, otherwise it is another season of learning. I think continuity is the biggest reason teams stay really good for long periods of time.

So Irsay may be saying I am going to go after who I want, I will talk to their agents, and when the possibility comes I can talk to certain candidates then I will make my intentions known to the public, and if it does not go how I want, I have a fallback position. I know this would put Pagano and Grigson in a crappy position, but what can they do.

I do know anyone he is thinking about hiring that I can think of outside of certain people who are not coaches or GM's are very busy with the playoffs, and it may be that reason we have heard nothing. We know he was unhappy, and I have to believe if he was keeping both of them, he would have said something. Why else would you leave that question and two men's career dangling in the air?

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Occam's razor. I think the simplest explanation is the best explanation: Irsay doesn't plan on making any changes.

I'm not necessary happy about that, but that appears to be the case.

Then why not say that?  I think the silence means he's up to something (hopefully Manning).

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Occam's razor. I think the simplest explanation is the best explanation: Irsay doesn't plan on making any changes.

I'm not necessary happy about that, but that appears to be the case.

It's a bit like being down 3 touchdowns....u know there is still a chance, but you're afraid to hope....

I don't think we should ignore the silence...something is in the works that may or may not come to fruition.  If it was settled, we'd know it because he'd want it to be known.

Just now, ztboiler said:

It's a bit like being down 3 touchdowns....u know there is still a chance, but you're afraid to hope....

I don't think we should ignore the silence...something is in the works that may or may not come to fruition.  If it was settled, we'd know it because he'd want it to be known.

You're down three TDs, your QB is hurt, there's 2 minutes remaining, you have 1 timeout, it's raining, you just got the ball at the 20, and you're on the road...

You're not afraid to hope, you just understand that it's over.

1 hour ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I just want to throw a thought out there. Irsay may have several guys right now he wants for a coach, and the decision on Grigson may be made later, or the latter, Grigson is gone and the decision on Pagano would come later. All the guys he is considering are in the playoffs and he cannot talk to them unless he wants everyone else know what he is thinking.

Now most of you, me included think at least Pagano should go, and I also agree Grigson should go. Regardless what we feel, they have a good overall track record over the 5 years, and although we all think it is easy to get a great new coach and new GM, that is not the case. It is a crap shoot, and if you don't get you want, then you don't want to settle. Plus the issue of continuity also comes into play. Although Pagano and Grigson stayed last year, there was a lot of turnover which always disrupts continuity, and you better be dang sure you have who you want, otherwise it is another season of learning. I think continuity is the biggest reason teams stay really good for long periods of time.

So Irsay may be saying I am going to go after who I want, I will talk to their agents, and when the possibility comes I can talk to certain candidates then I will make my intentions known to the public, and if it does not go how I want, I have a fallback position. I know this would put Pagano and Grigson in a crappy position, but what can they do.

I do know anyone he is thinking about hiring that I can think of outside of certain people who are not coaches or GM's are very busy with the playoffs, and it may be that reason we have heard nothing. We know he was unhappy, and I have to believe if he was keeping both of them, he would have said something. Why else would you leave that question and two men's career dangling in the air?

Merged

I like Occam's razor as a theory, but I think the silence is the simple answer is the best. Why else would you not say a thing to reporters, or a press conference. He has reportedly kept reporters away, and gone out of his way to say nothing. If you are not going to do anything, you say something!

Also as far as the GM picking the coach, what if Irsay thinks a new coach may want a GM as a package deal, so is keeping Grigson out of the picture. Or, what is even more plausible, What if the coach he is thinking about wants to buy the groceries also? So there are two scenarios why Grigson would not be involved in looking for a new coach.