No comments from Irsay yet [Merge]

azcolt

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I thought Irsay did say something to the effect that he does not anticipate any changes. I guess that is it, regardless of when it was said.

If there was no doubt he wasn't making changes he would've said as much. He worded it that way so he could have an out should he decide to move on. At least that's how it appeared to me.

So the owner needs to rush to a decision to make the fans happy?  This is just a guess on my part but since Carlie Irsay-Gordon has been getting more and more involved in the day to day operations of the Colts since 2014, I would guess that there is a disagreement between them as to what needs to be done or they figure there is no point in hurrying since they guy they are targeting is on a playoff team and won't be able to talk to him until they are eliminated.  I know they can seek permission to talk for the rest of this week but things can't really go further than that.

So again, rushing would only appease the fans who are a fickle bunch anyways.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah it's never quiet on both fronts. If Irsay hasn't said something usually the media is speculating and vice versa. Even if they're wrong, the media guys are usually saying something.

Thats why all of this is weird. Absolute silence on both sides. And we haven't heard anything from Pagano since the presser.

The more the public and press speculate and guess without Irsay saying a word, the Longer the Colts brand name stays in the media. What has Jerry Jones said in the past, good or bad news, you still get attention. Not saying this is what Irsay is doing, however, everyone still sitting on the phones or computers or tv waiting for some word on the Colts. Clicks and time = revenue and recognition. 

It is crystal clear that Irsay has made a mandate not a word to the media everyone inside that building gets that. There has never been a case that not only the local media but the national media has Nothing on this you don't do that if it's as simple as bringing them both back there is no reason for that . That being said if nothing else works out then you still have a coach

5 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

It is crystal clear that Irsay has made a mandate not a word to the media everyone inside that building gets that. There has never been a case that not only the local media but the national media has Nothing on this you don't do that if it's as simple as bringing them both back there is no reason for that . That being said if nothing else works out then you still have a coach

All owners have a mandate on all things involved in their team

11 hours ago, Superman said:

For example?

It is very common in European soccer actually, although it might not apply to the NFL at all. 

When everything are going really bad, the brass will make a point of coming out and saying that they still have confidence in the HC/manager, but often it is in reality a sign that they are on the very brink of loosing it. Don't ask me why it works that way though.  

From NFL.com :

"Jimmy Raye, Colts VP of Football Operations: 49ers"

Hmmm, if there are still rumors about Manning, if Colts Jimmy Raye leaves for SD, then with their VP Football Operations position open, might this be how Manning is brought back to get his feet wet in Team Operations?

3 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

It is very common in European soccer actually, although it might not apply to the NFL at all. 

When everything are going really bad, the brass will make a point of coming out and saying that they still have confidence in the HC/manager, but often it is in reality a sign that they are on the very brink of loosing it. Don't ask me why it works that way though.  

This is actually where I see it a lot, nearly every time.  But I agree, it isn't nearly as common as the NFL, although it happens.  Actually just looking it up, it happens a lot more with players from coaches than GMs/Owners to coaches in the NFL.  

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

To keep a coach and GM that are under contract?  Yeah,  That's pretty normal

So when i listen to Mike Florio,JmV, Mike chappell, Stephen Holder, Bob Kravitz, Mike Wells , Adam Schefter all say this is the strangest and weirdest thing I've seen I should disregard moving forward 

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Grigson and Pagano had 5 years already. How's the direction of the team looking? Not good in my view

I'm sure is eing exceptionally considerate of many things.  He is on public record with theses statements to follow.

Here is how Irsay viewedthings last year when he extended Pagano and Grigson-

Irsay signed Pagano to a four-year extension. He also made certain Pagano and Grigson were “tied at the hip" by giving Grigson a three-year extension. {Grigson had originally 1 extra years on his deal)}

So it seems if one goes, likely so will the other.  I am sure Irsay instructed them to settle differences and get along. Seems reasonable he told thenm  if one fails, they'll both have failed together.

\

Irsay is on the record:

“We gave it careful consideration,’’ Irsay said. “It’s important to be thoughtful and lean on continuity when you can."

“I’m convinced we have the right stuff on my right (Grigson) and my left (Pagano) going forward to win a world championship,’’ Irsay said. “There’s no doubt in my mind.’

“We want (Pagano) around because he’s a hell of a football coach. Trust me on that. We’re lucky to have him."

I doubt Irsay backtracks on these statements so easily after just one season without giving exceptional consideration to reasoning and no reason to believe there is no hope for the future.

25 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

The more the public and press speculate and guess without Irsay saying a word, the Longer the Colts brand name stays in the media. What has Jerry Jones said in the past, good or bad news, you still get attention. Not saying this is what Irsay is doing, however, everyone still sitting on the phones or computers or tv waiting for some word on the Colts. Clicks and time = revenue and recognition. 

And that's all fine and dandy. But I hope Irsay realizes that if he does all this hush hush stuff just to say he's keeping them then it's going to look really embarrassing for the organization. Not saying that he has to make a move because that's irrelevant, but if all of this is just to announce that they're staying, the Colts are going to look real silly and theyre going to lose some credence as an organization. 

1 minute ago, Zach Boyd said:

So when i listen to Mike Florio,JmV, Mike chappell, Stephen Holder, Bob Kravitz, Mike Wells , Adam Schefter all say this is the strangest and weirdest thing I've seen I should disregard moving forward 

This isn't the weirdest thing they have ever seen.   

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I'm sure is eing exceptionally considerate of many things.  He is on public record with theses statements to follow.

Here is how Irsay viewedthings last year when he extended Pagano and Grigson-

Irsay signed Pagano to a four-year extension. He also made certain Pagano and Grigson were “tied at the hip" by giving Grigson a three-year extension. {Grigson had originally 1 extra years on his deal)}

So it seems if one goes, likely so will the other.  I am sure Irsay instructed them to settle differences and get along. Seems reasonable he told thenm  if one fails, they'll both have failed together.

\

Irsay is on the record:

“We gave it careful consideration,’’ Irsay said. “It’s important to be thoughtful and lean on continuity when you can."

“I’m convinced we have the right stuff on my right (Grigson) and my left (Pagano) going forward to win a world championship,’’ Irsay said. “There’s no doubt in my mind.’

“We want (Pagano) around because he’s a hell of a football coach. Trust me on that. We’re lucky to have him."

“I’m convinced we have the right stuff on my right (Grigson) and my left (Pagano) going forward to win a world championship,’’ Irsay said. “There’s no doubt in my mind."

I doubt Irsay backtracks on these statements so easily after just one season without giving exceptional consideration to reasoning and no reason to believe there is no hope for the future.

I mean there's a reason they have annual job performance reviews at places of employment. You may have been employee of the year in 2015 but, if you crap the bed in 2016 it makes 2015 a bit irrelevant. It's often said that the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately?" league, the question Irsay needs to ask himself is "What exactly has Pagano done lately to deserve his contract?"

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

This isn't the weirdest thing they have ever seen.   

There isn't a sequence of words in the English language that would do justice to my description of the weird lady I saw on my drive into work this morning.

2 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

Oh so your telling they all accidentally said and that's actually not what they meant to say now that is the weirdest thing I've ever heard anybody say

I need you to translate this post please.  Punctuation is your friend.

I figured by this point that the players knew Chuck was staying and just weren't saying anything.

But if they really are being kept in the dark then Irsay does need to break his silence if there are no changes being made. This isn't just the media and fans wondering now, it's the players and assumedly the coaches since we last heard that the asst's had no idea what's going on.

9 minutes ago, corgi said:

I mean there's a reason they have annual job performance reviews at places of employment. You may have been employee of the year in 2015 but, if you crap the bed in 2016 it makes 2015 a bit irrelevant. It's often said that the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately?" league, the question Irsay needs to ask himself is "What exactly has Pagano done lately to deserve his contract?"

I see where you going with that, but lets look at the whole Picture.  If, as CEO, I came out and lauded Corgi as our Employee of the year, publicly, then awarded that employee a ginormous bonus to supplement the generous salary/commission already earned, and then saw performance of said employee 'crap the bed' next fiscal year... then my take would be what has happened, and how can we get said employee back on track again, not immediately kick him to the curb (competition) to revive his stellar career with someone else...

Just saying...

42 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So the owner needs to rush to a decision to make the fans happy?  This is just a guess on my part but since Carlie Irsay-Gordon has been getting more and more involved in the day to day operations of the Colts since 2014, I would guess that there is a disagreement between them as to what needs to be done or they figure there is no point in hurrying since they guy they are targeting is on a playoff team and won't be able to talk to him until they are eliminated.  I know they can seek permission to talk for the rest of this week but things can't really go further than that.

So again, rushing would only appease the fans who are a fickle bunch anyways.

QFT. And if Mrs. Irsay-Gordon is making her "presence" known more to her father, this could very well be the case. Hadn't thought about the situation in that regard, thanks @Coffeedrinker.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I see where you going with that, but lets look at the whole Picture.  If, as CEO, I came out and lauded Corgi as our Employee of the year, publicly, then awarded that employee a ginormous bonus to supplement the generous salary/commission already earned, and then saw performance of said employee 'crap the bed' next fiscal year... then my take would be what has happened, and how can we get said employee back on track again, not immediately kick him to the curb (competition) to revive his stellar career...

Just saying...

You're not wrong at all but, you would most likely look at my entire body of work for your company. Trends, habits, etc...and figure out if that contract was a mistake and if maybe 2015 was an anomaly. If Irsay chooses to to fire Pagano at least he will have enough data to look at. I guess he assumed the 2015 season was an anomaly and that his previous work warranted the extension. So maybe he views 2016 as an anomaly too. Now I don't know what to think. I'm happy I don't own a team.

41 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And that's all fine and dandy. But I hope Irsay realizes that if he does all this hush hush stuff just to say he's keeping them then it's going to look really embarrassing for the organization. Not saying that he has to make a move because that's irrelevant, but if all of this is just to announce that they're staying, the Colts are going to look real silly and theyre going to lose some credence as an organization. 

I don't think whether he does something or not will have any impact on how people view the team. For all we know, he could. Be out there hustling for a top level coach and can't find one, what would you expect him to tell you if that doesn't match the vision he had while looking, that oh, I was trying to find something better, I couldn't so we will just stay with Chuck, he is a heck of a wood chopper and all. That would be very unprofessional and I wouldn't expect that. Heck, perhaps he has had a medical condition we don't know about or maybe he relapsed and is in treatment. I mean there could be many things but I doubt he is sitting in his office just watching everyone squirm over themselves. 

Whatever happens, it happens. How does this impact anyone's day to day life? We will know soon enough I suppose. I'd like to see Pagano gone but I don't make the decisions. 

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

or decision to NOT do anything breaks.

yep

though I still think we're gonna see a change..... whether thats coaching/front officer or one of the many cordinators,trainers and assistants.  Something will change, just a gut feeling