Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No comments from Irsay yet [Merge]

azcolt

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually going to post something about this, how there has been no announcements or anything.  Based on Chuck's presser, it sounded like the meetings were late in the day yesterday.   I don't really see how Irsay hasn't already made his decision either way, so I don't see how this could be taking so long.  If he doesn't want to address the media, at the very least they could release a statement. 

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Can't decide what to make of it. Either something big is cooking, or he knows he's stuck with Grigano for at least another season, and just doesn't want to face the music.

If something big is cooking, then I understand the silence as he is busy right now.  But if we are sticking with the status quo, let's just make the announcement already. 

52 minutes ago, Corndog said:

I was actually going to post something about this, how there has been no announcements or anything.  Based on Chuck's presser, it sounded like the meetings were late in the day yesterday.   I don't really see how Irsay hasn't already made his decision either way, so I don't see how this could be taking so long.  If he doesn't want to address the media, at the very least they could release a statement. 

There is nothing coming out because there will be no major changes.  Pagano and Grigson are here for another year.

They put an article on here saying that Pagano plans on being here next year.  That article wouldn't have been published on Colts.com if he was being fired.

Furthermore Irsay wouldn't have allowed him to do a press conference if he was firing him.  

If he was going to fire Pagano or Grigson he would have done so by now.  Usually if you are going to can your GM or HC then you do it right away after the season is over so that you have as much time as possible to bring in possible replacements to interview.  Waiting around would be costly.   

There is a couple things to keep in mind.  I think the extensions he gave them both has him locked in on them for at least another year.  He might not be able to realistically afford to pay his old coach and old GM for the next 4 years AND pay a new coach and a new GM.  

The other thing to consider is that given the late season improvement by the OL, Jim might have some confidence that Grigs and Pagano are going to fix some things.  

2 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

There is nothing coming out because there will be no major changes.  Pagano and Grigson are here for another year.

They put an article on here saying that Pagano plans on being here next year.  That article wouldn't have been published on Colts.com if he was being fired.

Furthermore Irsay wouldn't have allowed him to do a press conference if he was firing him.  

If he was going to fire Pagano or Grigson he would have done so by now.  

There is a couple things to keep in mind.  I think the extensions he gave them both has him locked in on them for at least another year.  He might not be able to realistically afford to pay his old coach and old GM for the next 4 years AND pay a new coach and a new GM.  

The other thing to consider is that given the late season improvement by the OL, Jim might have some confidence that Grigs and Pagano are going to fix some things.  

It is feeling that way and I agree, he should have his mind already made up.  If the contracts are why he is keeping them, that is all on Jim for offering them.  As far as the OL is concerned, that is more of a reason to retain Grigson than Pagano.    Either way, he needs to release a statement to put the rumors to rest.  

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If he was going to fire Pagano or Grigson he would have done so by now.

Caldwell was retained until Grigson was on board in 2012. Not saying Irsay IS looking for a new GM & giving them input on whether to keep the coach or get a new one, just that he has done it before.

Jim is smart enough to know that silence lets the rumour mill go wild. Continued silence is bad for Irsay, the coaches, the fans, media and the players. Everyone is sitting in limbo. 

Im thinking Irsay is cooking something up. Anybody think he might be shopping Pagano somehow? Can't think of any other reason he's let this go for so long.

5 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Jim is smart enough to know that silence lets the rumour mill go wild. Continued silence is bad for Irsay, the coaches, the fans, media and the players. Everyone is sitting in limbo. 

Im thinking Irsay is cooking something up. Anybody think he might be shopping Pagano somehow? Can't think of any other reason he's let this go for so long.

Who would be buying?

6 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Shopping Pagano? for WHAT?!?  LMBO

27 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Jim's Twitter activity has been pretty tame since his arrest and suspension. 

He still tweets quite a bit though, so this is very odd for him to be so quiet right after season's end. Usually he's giving away trips to the pro-bowl, thanking the fans, etc. He sent out 1 roster update yesterday, that's it.

I WAS thinking that the silence was indicative that things were going to stay put, but now the more I think about it why wouldn't you be able to come out and just say "We're staying put" if you knew you were?  This makes me think Irsay either hasn't made up his mind yet or he is working on something and doesn't want to announce anything until plans are finalized.  Again, if you aren't making any changes I think we would have heard by now.  Just IMHO though, I've been wrong before, and as my wife says it won't be the last time.

Irsay was stupid to give those ridiculous extensions.  He is married to this mediocrity for now.  He likely doesn't want to eat that much wasted money plus he is probably too lazy to want to embark on the rigors of a GM and/or head coach search right now.  He may as well get used to more fan apathy. This franchise will keep grinding and chopping wood to nowhere. 

He has to fire them. I don't see any reason why we should keep Grigson and Pangano. And the thing is that it isn't about missing the playoffs twice, but if you look back the Colts declined over the years. It started with the slow starts and some exciting comebacks but if you look at some of the games this season it was a total mess. And the Colts aren't missing one or two key players to be a serious contender they are lacking a lot of talent. 8 and 8 isn't the problem. The problem is how the Colts looked for most part of the season. And that was pretty disgusting and I don't know how you can continue that mess for another year. 

More food for thought.....

didnt a a majority of college bowl games just end yesterday with only the National Title game next Monday to come yet? Now let's say hypothetically, Jim is interested in one of those coaches, say Saban, but Saban doesn't want to talk about it until after the college season is up to limit distractions etc, this hypothetically could be why Jim is waiting,

or 

lets say Harbarugh is the target, Michigan just finished their season over the weekend, maybe he's waiting for a decision to be made so Irsay can make his.

it makes sense to keep pagano and grigson since they are under contract until you have an idea and who you might replace them with. 

Again, this is all pure speculation based literally on thin air so don't quote me, I'm just merely throwing out a theory I've not seen mention

50 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He still tweets quite a bit though, so this is very odd for him to be so quiet right after season's end. Usually he's giving away trips to the pro-bowl, thanking the fans, etc. He sent out 1 roster update yesterday, that's it.

Yes, but it's nothing like it used to be ... cryptic messages via song lyrics and movie lines, "crap performance," etc.  I sort of miss those days.

I know Jim is generally a very nice guy but I wonder if the enormous backlash from fans and media spotlight is why it's taking so long.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's either working on a way to break the news to what seems like a mostly fed up fanbase, or if he's just kinda fed up himself with the backlash.

12 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I WAS thinking that the silence was indicative that things were going to stay put, but now the more I think about it why wouldn't you be able to come out and just say "We're staying put" if you knew you were?  This makes me think Irsay either hasn't made up his mind yet or he is working on something and doesn't want to announce anything until plans are finalized.  Again, if you aren't making any changes I think we would have heard by now.  Just IMHO though, I've been wrong before, and as my wife says it won't be the last time.

I originally thought that too but am starting to lean to the side now that he isn't saying anything because he doesn't have to and they are simply going to carry on business as usual and hope people forget.  I think he wants to keep quiet and hope that the longer this goes the less interest and emotional people will be.  Him coming out right now would appear to be the right thing to do but he knows if he does he's going to enrage the majority of his fan base who are still really ticked off so what is there to gain by doing that?  So his best option right now truly is silence, he doesn't wanna face the music. I too could be totally wrong, i just think if Jim was going to make changes he should have had a plan in place and been ready to roll right after the game Sunday.  The longer this goes the more i think Jim is ok with being mediocre.

What I find puzzling is that he did comment on the two guys' future a few weeks ago and there seemed to be some ambiguity -- but maybe he doesn't think he was ambiguous. Regardless, he surely knows Chuck's last two appearances before the press were awkward and did nothing to clarify the future and presented the image of a guy twisting in the wind. My guess is Jim is working on some possible changes but may need more time.

36 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Yes, but it's nothing like it used to be ... cryptic messages via song lyrics and movie lines, "crap performance," etc.  I sort of miss those days.

Yep, and it's complete silence right now, which suggests to me he's up to something, at least that's what I hope. A lot of the Indy media are saying that their inside sources aren't even returning their texts right now, so whatever is going on in that complex, it's very hush-hush.

with all the "speculation" this I can say: If manning would get involved you can count out Harbough as manning went to broncos because he couldn't deal with Harbough's ego.

All that said, some of the potential "TOP" candidates are currently still playing NFL games, so I guess it's possible that he's waiting the fates of those particular teams, although reading all the Roto blurbs, it seems a lot of those potential candidates are already lining up interviews with other teams as we type so who knows...

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep, and it's complete silence right now, which suggests to me he's up to something, at least that's what I hope. A lot of the Indy media are saying that their inside sources aren't even returning their texts right now, so whatever is going on in that complex, it's very hush-hush.

Uuuuuuh, now you have me dreaming about Peyton again! Peyton and big, beautiful changes. And rainbows and unicorns!

1 minute ago, Mr Clueless said:

Uuuuuuh, now you have me dreaming about Peyton again! Peyton and big, beautiful changes. And rainbows and unicorns!

We're all dreaming about that, so we can only hope. It just seems odd that the entire organization would be silent, and that Grigano would be held off of their postseason radio interviews, if it were just business as usual.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Jim tweeted out roster moves yesterday.

Does anybody really think he'd be letting Grigson make roster moves if anything was changing?

Those roster moves really weren't much or anything that wouldn't have taken place without Grigs

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Those roster moves really weren't much or anything that wouldn't have taken place without Grigs

True, but they were still roster moves and that is Grigson's job.

Not saying I'm right, just that it doesn't look good for people who want changes, me included. You could be right though, Irsay could've wanted those guys signed to reserve deals and told somebody to get it done.

In all honesty, I think Irsay's silence is because everything is status quo.  I want to believe he recognizes fans want an announcement either way, but it may simply be that he does not view Pagano/Grigson as being in any danger and feels no need to announce that they are staying.  He is just letting everything run as usual.  

Not it saying that it's the right way to go about this, but it's just the vibe I'm getting. 

1 minute ago, Ja'Crispy said:

In all honesty, I think Irsay's silence is because everything is status quo.  I want to believe he recognizes fans want an announcement either way, but it may simply be that he does not view Pagano/Grigson as being in any danger and feels no need to announce that they are staying.  He is just letting everything run as usual.  

That's what I've been thinking, but with the massive amount of people who want to know, he could at least throw us a bone. 

If we don't make changes I just hope the coaches available  don't turn out to be awesome head coaches and we miss out. Look what Pederson did with a rookie and that eagles roster. If he had Luck he could do even more. Adam Gase took a crappy dolphins team to the playoffs. Could of had both last year. Could hire Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels this year both of their QBs are 1 and 2 in the MVP race. 

1 minute ago, TDewar1987 said:

That's what I've been thinking, but with the massive amount of people who want to know, he could at least throw us a bone. 

Right.  You'd think he has enough awareness to realize the media and fans alike are begging for something.  If they're staying, fine.  Let everyone know so we can quit speculating and start talking about moving forward in 2017 with what we have.

Just now, Ja'Crispy said:

Right.  You'd think he has enough awareness to realize the media and fans alike are begging for something.  If they're staying, fine.  Let everyone know so we can quit speculating and talking about moving forward in 2017. 

Exactly. Who knows what is really going on. I don't have a crystal ball.