Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

7 things that I think should happen here and 1 maybe..

Indeee

1) we resign Gore and Turbo... Look I know there's a lot of " premature talk " of Colts drafting a back in round one. We should NOT. Another 2 year, that's basically a one year, deal for Gore should get done.

2) we try to find a trade partner wanting Castanzo.. yes he will need to be replaced, yes he has a hefty contract, but this needs to be done. This guy just isn't the answer and I never believed he was before they resigned him. Time to cut bait.

3) IMO LB isn't really a "pressing" need. It is a need, but not pressing. I love walden(resign) and I think edwin, morrison and maggit are foundation blocks with the right coaching.

4) #1 priority, whether draft or free agency IMO is a TRUE, dominate, NT. If this team is going to continue in the 3-4 scheme, this is a must. tired of the "once in awhile" guys we keep throwing out there and I'm tired of guys who flash potential. Get a guy who is what he is from jump. We got the Center last year, this year we get the Nose.

5) NO Offensive skill players AT ALL in 2017 via draft or free agency. Give what we currently have another year and let's see. Even Allen, whom I personally feel is horrid and resign Doyle.

6) Dump all resources, money, picks, etc.. into O-line and Defense Only!! *Side note, send Robinson, Adams, #30 and #32 packing.

7) Extend Vonte's deal in 2017.

and finally....

If the Colts do clean house of staff, my personal choice would be Mike Shannahan as GM and Kyle as HC/OC. Pull Tom Cable from Seattle for O-line coach. Yes, they have had a down year, but he's a really good line coach and he's a no-nonsense guy that I personally like. I do not think we would ever have a shot attaining anyone from the Pats organization.

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

1) we resign Gore and Turbo... Look I know there's a lot of " premature talk " of Colts drafting a back in round one. We should NOT. Another 2 year, that's basically a one year, deal for Gore should get done.

2) we try to find a trade partner wanting Castanzo.. yes he will need to be replaced, yes he has a hefty contract, but this needs to be done. This guy just isn't the answer and I never believed he was before they resigned him. Time to cut bait.

3) IMO LB isn't really a "pressing" need. It is a need, but not pressing. I love walden(resign) and I think edwin, morrison and maggit are foundation blocks with the right coaching.

4) #1 priority, whether draft or free agency IMO is a TRUE, dominate, NT. If this team is going to continue in the 3-4 scheme, this is a must. tired of the "once in awhile" guys we keep throwing out there and I'm tired of guys who flash potential. Get a guy who is what he is from jump. We got the Center last year, this year we get the Nose.

5) NO Offensive skill players AT ALL in 2017 via draft or free agency. Give what we currently have another year and let's see. Even Allen, whom I personally feel is horrid and resign Doyle.

6) Dump all resources, money, picks, etc.. into O-line and Defense Only!! *Side note, send Robinson, Adams, #30 and #32 packing.

and finally....

If the Colts do clean house of staff, my personal choice would be Mike Shannahan as GM and Kyle as HC/OC. Pull Tom Cable from Seattle for O-line coach. Yes, they have had a down year, but he's a really good line coach and he's a no-nonsense guy that I personally like. I do not think we would ever have a shot attaining anyone from the Pats organization.

I think that would be a terrible offseason if I'm being honest with you. 

1.) We have Gore under contract. Turning us stated he will be back with us. That's a good combo. But we absolutely need to draft a RB. This is the draft of RB's and Gore will be gone after this upcoming season.

2.) I agree Castonzo isn't getting it done at LT. But he has games where he is above average. If someone gives a 3rd or better I would do that trade. 

3.) How is LB not a pressing need? We can't get any pressure on the QB. Hardly any. Walden is the only one who does. But I'm not completely sold on even resigning him. He is a FA. We need a playmaker at OLB. And an ILB who can cover RB's and TE's in space. Our LB play is what is killing us the most. Pressure on the QB makes it 10 times easier for our secondary.

4.) Not the top priority but do agree we need better NT play.

5.) Agree. Don't need to spend anymore money on playmakers. We have Andrew Luck.

6.) I agree with putting all our money into those two except for drafting a RB in the 3rd. 

7.) Vontae has been pretty bad this year. If he asks more than 8 million. I let him walk. I like him a lot. But he hasn't played like the shutdown corner he is.

Wouldn't mind those coaches, but we aren't getting Kyle Shannahan or Tom Cable. Maybe Mike. 

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

1.) We have Gore under contract. Turning us stated he will be back with us. That's a good combo. But we absolutely need to draft a RB. This is the draft of RB's and Gore will be gone after this upcoming season.

2.) I agree Castonzo isn't getting it done at LT. But he has games where he is above average. If someone gives a 3rd or better I would do that trade. 

3.) How is LB not a pressing need? We can't get any pressure on the QB. Hardly any. Walden is the only one who does. But I'm not completely sold on even resigning him. He is a FA. We need a playmaker at OLB. And an ILB who can cover RB's and TE's in space. Our LB play is what is killing us the most. Pressure on the QB makes it 10 times easier for our secondary.

5.) Agree. Don't need to spend anymore money on playmakers. We have Andrew Luck.

6.) I agree with putting all our money into those two except for drafting a RB in the 3rd. 

7.) Vontae has been pretty bad this year. If he asks more than 8 million. I let him walk. I like him a lot. But he hasn't played like the shutdown corner he is.

Wouldn't mind those coaches, but we aren't getting Kyle Shannahan or Tom Cable. Maybe Mike. 

In fairness i stated LB wasn't a pressing need, meaning not a first round as I believe the nose is more important. Yes we cannot rush the passer but we really can't stop the run.

I did not knoe Gore was still under contract, my bad.

Vontae has been injured a good deal this year. I believe that's a good deal with under performance as you stated.

If Mike is GM, 100% Kyle would come and you throw enough green at Cable he would be here.

I misread that last paragraph. I thought you want Mike as HC and Kyle as OC. Kyle is already an OC, but you are right. He would leave to come be a HC with a team that has Andrew Luck. Isn't Tom Cable the OC for Seattle? That would be a major downgrade for him. I've seen reports of him possibly getting HC gigs. I doubt he comes to Indy. Honestly I like Philbin as our line coach. He has had little to work with and our line has drastically improved from our bye week. 

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I misread that last paragraph. I thought you want Mike as HC and Kyle as OC. Kyle is already an OC, but you are right. He would leave to come be a HC with a team that has Andrew Luck. Isn't Tom Cable the OC for Seattle? That would be a major downgrade for him. I've seen reports of him possibly getting HC gigs. I doubt he comes to Indy. Honestly I like Philbin as our line coach. He has had little to work with and our line has drastically improved from our bye week. 

I think Cable is Line coach not OC. i thought Bevel was OC in Seattle

45 minutes ago, Indeee said:

and finally....

Sorry......   decided not to keep my original post.

I'll just respectfully say that I disagree with most of the suggestions put forward here and leave it at that....

My other post was far less nice.....     so I deleted it.         :peek:

42 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think Cable is Line coach not OC. i thought Bevel was OC in Seattle

You're right. Another thing. Why would you want us to draft more offensive lineman when we just used the 2016 draft on almost all lineman? It would be like giving up on them after 1 year. Newhart, Kelly, Haeg, and Castonzo formed a good 4 lineman. We haven't seen enough of Clark. He needs to gain a lot of strength this offseason if he is our RT next year. But what we have seen looks promising. I'm excited about our offensive lines development honestly.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

and finally....

Clark is the Lt of the future constanzo slides over to Rt in 2018 , 

Pass rush is a major major major need 

I definitely agree with Kyle Shanahan. I think we can surround him with coaches with experience like Bill Callahan or McCoy from the chargers. For defense Mike Pettine or Gregg Williams 

I would want to grab 2 offensive players

Wayne Gallman and Bucky Hodges if possible.

We can go all Defense for the rest but we must surround Luck with good cheap talent.

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

and finally....

1. Both will be back as other posters have said. I anticipate a 3rd or 4th round back in the draft.

2. Castonzo is never going to be a top 5 LT. But if we let him go we still have to replace him. And with hardly any top Oline talent coming out this year and no big LTs hitting the market I don't see it happening. Especially after seeing the Oline finally gel the last few weeks.

3. Walden is good, very underrated. He's also not getting any younger. Morrison is DQ but not as good as DQ at being DQ (if that makes sense, I'm sorry it's late). Edwin is pretty decent but hardly a defensive building block at this point. Maggitt is a UDFA that has done nothing yet. I'm not going to bank on him miraculously working out. I still say our 1st rounder should be a Rush LB. We have one of the worst linebacking corps in the league.

4. I'm banking on Dontari Poe hitting the market since KC might have cap issues this year.

5. Early on I agree. First 4 rounds should be defensive players. Could find another under the radar receiver in the 5th or so. Some competition for Dorsett and Rogers. I would also like another RB to groom behind Gore.

6. Robinson I agree. Melvin has looked okay for a UDFA. At very least good depth. Adams is a veteran leader on D and arguably our best all around safety. TJ Green is a 2nd round pick in his rookie year. Seriously ready to give up on him already?

7. Vontae isn't getting any younger and has been having massive injury issues the last year or two. I need to see him healthy for a full season before I look at his contract. If he can get back to pro bowl form then I'm all for extending him.

I agree on Kyle Shanahan.

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

and finally....

Yikes! I don't even know where to start. I disagree with a lot. I guess I will narrow it down: #3- I believe linebacker IS  a pressing need. I don't believe Morrison or Maggit are likely building blocks. DQJ needs to go. Trent Cole needs to go. #2- Castonzo is serviceable. Given all the holes in our roster, replacing Castonzo this year is not a priority for me. #6- Why in the world would you want to give up on TJ Green??? The kid is only 21, the youngest player on the team. He has world beating physical skills that just need to be harnessed. The guy tracks down ball carriers on the opposite side of the field. Give the the young man a chance to develop under good coaching. It could pay off in spades. I'm hoping.

I also want a NT selected in the 1st...

The front 5 on offense and the front 7 on defense is where this team is broken.

Like the QB, NT is the center piece of a 3-4 defense. Their size, speed & strength ratios are extremely rare, making them the hardest defensive player type to acquire. Drafting this high in the order and passing on a true NT, would demonstrate the FO lacks the football acumen to build a championship defense. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds will provide plenty of opportunities to bolster the LB'ing core. 

This team also needs more help on the O-Line, this last draft brought in Kelly and a group of project players. They need to acquire a true RT through FA as the tackle play on this team was abysmal. Ideally, they'd sign a premium LT in FA and move Costanzo over to RT. That would allow Haeg and Clark to develop their strength & technique correctly. Guard is also a hot mess that can be stiffened with a quality pick or FA move. At the very least, Blythe & Reitz need to be moved along. Leaving Mewhort, Thornton, Harrison, Good & new guy to round out the front line going forward.

College football will belch out thousands of players this spring and like many positions, it will hemorrhage RB's. I'd prefer to drop Ferguson, sign Gore & Turbin, then acquire another proven RB in FA or very late in the draft.

Bottom line for me is to address the big uglies on O-Line & D-Line, with a load of LB'ers and CB mixed in. The rest simply must wait...

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry......   decided not to keep my original post.

I'll just respectfully say that I disagree with most of the suggestions put forward here and leave it at that....

My other post was far less nice.....     so I deleted it.         :peek:

You don't normally do that.............

17 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

You don't normally do that.............

I know.     You're right.

But I feared being put in a week-long time out from posting.      I thought the mods might not like my post and I didn't want to take the chance of not being able to post into next week when decisions will come down about Grigson and Pagano.

I'm trying to be a good boy!       I'm trying to do the right thing here.  

It's a strange world we're living in these days.....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

But I feared being put in a week-long time out from posting.      I thought the mods might not like my post and I didn't want to take the chance of not being able to post into next week when decisions will come down about Grigson and Pagano.

I was pulling your leg, really!

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

I was pulling your leg, really!

That's OK.....

You were right anyway!       No sense denying it....    got to own your own poop and I've got plenty to own....

Next week should be.......     interesting....     and I want to be a part of it and not sit on the sidelines in a time out....

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

and finally....

Following the lead of @NewColtsFan here.  Will just simply say that I disagree with every single one of your points.  

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

I also want a NT selected in the 1st...

The front 5 on offense and the front 7 on defense is where this team is broken.

Like the QB, NT is the center piece of a 3-4 defense. Their size, speed & strength ratios are extremely rare, making them the hardest defensive player type to acquire. Drafting this high in the order and passing on a true NT, would demonstrate the FO lacks the football acumen to build a championship defense. The 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds will provide plenty of opportunities to bolster the LB'ing core. 

This team also needs more help on the O-Line, this last draft brought in Kelly and a group of project players. They need to acquire a true RT through FA as the tackle play on this team was abysmal. Ideally, they'd sign a premium LT in FA and move Costanzo over to RT. That would allow Haeg and Clark to develop their strength & technique correctly. Guard is also a hot mess that can be stiffened with a quality pick or FA move. At the very least, Blythe & Reitz need to be moved along. Leaving Mewhort, Thornton, Harrison, Good & new guy to round out the front line going forward.

College football will belch out thousands of players this spring and like many positions, it will hemorrhage RB's. I'd prefer to drop Ferguson, sign Gore & Turbin, then acquire another proven RB in FA or very late in the draft.

Bottom line for me is to address the big uglies on O-Line & D-Line, with a load of LB'ers and CB mixed in. The rest simply must wait...

For me, I would take pass rusher, CB or NT, We whiffed on Smith, Werner, and Parry is a backup.  So I'm not confident in our drafting these positions.

Personally, I disagree with most of what you posted but it is all just opinions, nobody is right or wrong and I recognize that so I'm not calling you an *, or dumb, or whatever.  We just disagree.  However, I would point out that in your "Finally" part that if the father/son combo would come to fruition it would be difficult to fire one of those guys and try to keep the other since they are related.  Blood is thicker than water and it could be a sticky situation there.  Sorta like the Bills having to let go of Rob Ryan since his brother was canned.  Even IF they wanted to keep Rob it would have been contentious at best.  Or perhaps it was the other way around, IDK.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let the games begin Good luck NCF. 

Beyond getting a RB to eventually replace Gore, I wouldn't use any pick on Offense. The defense is in so dire need, that the offense will just have to do with what we already have. And if bloody Chud would just game plan to a decently high level, we don't really need much of an upgrade on Offense. But that is a big "if", sadly.

I would without a doubt go all-in on any talent we could get in OLB, CB and ILB. Maybe find a nice NT and/or DL too, but that is less of a pressing need, IMHO.

12 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Yes, I agree with you Colts1324. We need a tough pass rusher in the first round to me it's our number one priority.

14 hours ago, Indeee said:

and finally....

1) I would like the Colts to draft a RB in the later rounds..we need to get younger at the RB position

2) No, not a good idea at all. Castanzo is fine there and an anchor at the position.dumb idea.

3) agree, Colts need a pass rush

4) Not necessary a need, guys like Parry and McGill have been fairy decent

5) NO Offensive skill players AT ALL????  Are you watching a different Colts team than all of us?

6) I would concentrate on Defense this up coming draft if possible,....O-line is fine

7) Not sure on this..he is starting to show his age

8) No coaching changed

14 hours ago, Everyone said:

Idk how well Clark is progressing but if he develops, how about moving Cas to RT and Clark to LT? And would you not want them to re sign Doyel and Swoope?

I'd try Haeg at LT first before trying Clark. Clark has a long way to go. Haeg is further along and more ready to go. But we still need to replace Good at RG.

1) We resign Gore and Turbo - Gore is already under contract and not in need of re-signing.  I like him as the #1 back for one more year, but we need a young back in place as a platooner/possible heir apparent.  It's a great draft for it, and our draftee will get Turbin's current reps.  So, no thanks on Turbin.  

2) we try to find a trade partner wanting Castanzo.  Disagree strongly.  We made good OL moves last draft, and now they need to gel and develop.  The last thing we need is a major overhaul at LT to derail that expected progress. 

3) IMO LB isn't really a "pressing" need.  - Disagree.  I expect a LB draft similar to the OL draft from last year, probably including the 1st and 2nd round picks.  I'm bullish on Edwin, but I'm so-so on Morrison (better back-up than a starter to pencil in).  Reuben Foster, come on down!

4) #1 priority, whether draft or free agency IMO is a TRUE, dominate, NT. - Disagree!  I think we have a very good DL that was somewhat derailed by injuries this last year.  When our D wasn't working, particularly against the run, it was due to a lack of sideline-to-sideline LBs.  Especially if Anderson regains his explosion in Year 2 after the ACL (as often happens), our DL is a strength.

5) NO Offensive skill players AT ALL in 2017 via draft or free agency. - Good call, except for a #2 RB somewhere around Round 3.

6) Dump all resources, money, picks, etc.. into O-line and Defense Only!! *Side note, send Robinson, Adams, #30 and #32 packing. - o Agree that it should be a defensive draft.  I'd re-sign Adams (ya gotta have one NFL-ready backup safety!), and Robinson would stay (but Butler walks, 'cause Robinson is the one already under contract).  When you draft four OL, though, and three of them seem to be hits, why in the world would you go replacing them before developing them?  Makes no sense to me!  I do plan for a late round draftee to keep the depth coming, though.

7) Extend Vonte's deal in 2017.  - I favor planning for his departure instead.  I like signing an outside CB like Dre Kirkpatrick in FA, forcing Robinson to the nickel.  Then, should Vontae walk next year, you'll have good options with Kirkpatrick, Robinson, and Melvin on the roster.

and finally....

If the Colts do clean house of staff, my personal choice would be Mike Shannahan as GM and Kyle as HC/OC. Pull Tom Cable from Seattle for O-line coach. Yes, they have had a down year, but he's a really good line coach and he's a no-nonsense guy that I personally like. I do not think we would ever have a shot attaining anyone from the Pats organization. - Wow, while I respect your opinion, I disagree with most of your plan.  The biggest mistake I see owners doing is changing management when the team experiences a little misfortune.  Sticking with what you believe to be good coaches and GMs even though they've made some mistakes helps you avoid lost years in transition.  Yeah, I think Pagano lost a couple games on bad game-day decisions, and Grigson has bit it hard on a couple of moves.  But neither is given much credit around here for their successes (like two straight fantastic drafts by Grigson in 2015 and 2016).  

17 hours ago, Indeee said:

and finally....

Terrible. Like...all of it. If you were building this team, you would make it worse than it already is with the strategy you've devised.

You dont not draft an RB just because. Castonzo is fine. Maybe didnt live up to the deal, but he is still good. You dont draft solely based on need. You dont engage in FA and sign based only on  position. Thats how mediocre teams are built in both FA and the draft.