Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Art Jones to I.R.

Everyone

9 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

luckily he's the exception

Or maybe like Bob Sanders. Or Marlin Jackson. Or Clayton Geathers. Or Anthony Gonzales.......hold on, we drafted them. Just kiddin, but come on, lots of footballers get injured every day. It is not exclusive to our team, or specifically those we trade for.....

Sorry to see this....

Was hoping he'd re-do his contract to a more team friendly deal with incentives for his last two years.

Honestly,   I still hope that happens.      I think he's played pretty well for most of this season and I think he's helped during this recent stretch of wins....

Hope we find a way to keep him.....

3 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

we need to cut him or if he takes a vet minimum but even that might be better spent on a undrafted rookie 

I don't want him near the state of Indiana, he's already stolen enough from the colts let him go steal from someone else by sitting on the sideline and being a knucklehead like his two dumb brothers.

I'm sad to see this, which likely will end his tenure here.  Let me say this:  Art is a REALLY nice guy.  Had a chance to spend a little time with him and he REALLY likes playing here and REALLY likes the fans, etc.  But, facts are facts and he was hurt more than healthy, and I think at this stage in his career likely has some injuries that are never going to fully heal and allow him to be the player he once was.  I just wish we could have seen the Art Jones who played in Baltimore.  He was good.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry to see this....

Was hoping he'd re-do his contract to a more team friendly deal with incentives for his last two years.

Honestly,   I still hope that happens.      I think he's played pretty well for most of this season and I think he's helped during this recent stretch of wins....

Hope we find a way to keep him.....

I'm sure he would take a payout similar to the one he took last year. If you then look at the cap implications , he's a VERY cheap player. His 2016 base was 2.5 mill. If he agreed to the same deal , the "cost" and "cap hit" would be only 500K for keeping rather than cutting him. The only question then would be how attainable the incentives would be. For sure the colts would have to give him a chance to earn more than the 2.5 mill with incentives. This year's contract was structured that way.

That said , while it makes "financial" sense to keep him , history tells us that teams often just decide to move on in situations like this. The fact that he's missed so many games in the past 3 years put his reliability in serious doubt.

42 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I'm sure he would take a payout similar to the one he took last year. If you then look at the cap implications , he's a VERY cheap player. His 2016 base was 2.5 mill. If he agreed to the same deal , the "cost" and "cap hit" would be only 500K for keeping rather than cutting him. The only question then would be how attainable the incentives would be. For sure the colts would have to give him a chance to earn more than the 2.5 mill with incentives. This year's contract was structured that way.

That said , while it makes "financial" sense to keep him , history tells us that teams often just decide to move on in situations like this. The fact that he's missed so many games in the past 3 years put his reliability in serious doubt.

Good post....     in fact,  a really good post.

My concern is this.....      there are always more issues to fix with a team --- any team --- than there are assets to solve them all.       So, I'd prefer not to use a draft pick on a lineman this year if I can avoid it.   (But we might not be able to avoid it)....      and while $50 Mill sounds like a lot for free agency that money will go quickly and we saw how much we had to spend to get Art Jones in FA three years ago.     A lot.     So it's easier said than done.

I wouldn't mind one more year of Jones to see what he's got.    I still think we need him,  because without him,  we're down a decent player.   

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

My concern is this.....      there are always more issues to fix with a team --- any team --- than there are assets to solve them all.       So, I'd prefer not to use a draft pick on a lineman this year if I can avoid it.   (But we might not be able to avoid it)....      and while $50 Mill sounds like a lot for free agency that money will go quickly and we saw how much we had to spend to get Art Jones in FA three years ago.     A lot.     So it's easier said than done.

I wouldn't mind one more year of Jones to see what he's got.    I still think we need him,  because without him,  we're down a decent player.   

Agreed completly.  Also,  something people aren't talking about... His brother Chandler Jones is going to be a free agent as of this moment.  Have to think it would help attract him to indy if his brother plays here.  

53 minutes ago, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

Agreed completly.  Also,  something people aren't talking about... His brother Chandler Jones is going to be a free agent as of this moment.  Have to think it would help attract him to indy if his brother plays here.

Maybe we can land Bones Jones as well.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't disagree but don't forget we played pretty much all of 2016 without Langford (our best DL) and Anderson never seemed to be at 100%. If everyone was healthy , it was probably the area where we had the most depth.