Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Case Scenario Long Term is We Lose Out

UKColt13

Its horrifying to say but at this point the best case scenario long term for this team is we lose out the rest of the season. No playoffs. Triggers a front office and coaching tear down and rehire. Top 10/12 pick in every round in a good draft class.

Retool. Rebuild. Reclaim.

I am not a hater. I am not a jersey burner. I love this team. But if we make the playoffs, nothing will change next year. Irsay has an excuse to save face and not fire Grigs and Pags by saying we made the playoffs.

I'm not willing to wait another 5 years for Grigson to accidentally put a decent team on the field.

Yeah, you're probably right. Houston is gonna win at least two more, so even if the Colts win out (they won't), they're gonna miss the playoffs anyways.

Colts will probably finish 7-9, beating the Jags (though I'm not even sure I can bank on them doing that).

Awful play calling, awful run defense, untimely turnovers and a failure to get Brock freaking Osweiler off the field for extended periods of time did them in.

You need a GM that has the guts to stop making sexy picks, and draft 3 first round offensive lineman. You need a line that can get 1 dang yard when they decide to. This line has NOT improved that much because they are still letting Luck get hit too much when Luck is making better decisions. 

HC needs to be able to motivate his players. I haven't seen a team play with so little heart since Jim Caldwell was the coach. And hardly ever in the manning era. You know what it looks like. 

We need to review our health staff hard core this off season. Even looking for outside sources like the safety Troy (steelers) did, and became a more durable player. Stop relying on mainstream health information in the NFL cuz you can't stay healthy that way apparently. 

We need a new WR coach. Who the hell is motivating these guys? Oh yeah. Pagano. 

I have more patience for grigson right now than pagano at this point, but that will end if he doesn't draft oline and pass rusher in the first 2 rounds this upcoming draft. Grigsons best move even if he's just saving face would be to fire pagano. 

This season has been torture to watch. Most of the time I'm disgusted, and then excited occasionally, and then disgusted again. Cuz they show what they can do properly motivated. 

The way that game ended? File it under reasons to move on from this GM/Coach. But 12 is going to fight despite what the team does, so they might win 2 more. I don't see them beating Oak, so that's 8-8? No that it matters but file 8-8 under reasons to not move on from this GM/Coach or rather reasons Irsay won't.

Irsay tied the direction of the team to this and I think it goes one more year. If the past is any evidence next year should be very frustrating and mediocre too.

I think I'll write that down and post it on my wall and look and it on Dec.11.17 and see just how surprised I am.. 

I don't expect to be surprised..

24 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah, you're probably right. Houston is gonna win at least two more, so even if the Colts win out (they won't), they're gonna miss the playoffs anyways.

Colts will probably finish 7-9, beating the Jags (though I'm not even sure I can bank on them doing that).

Awful play calling, awful run defense, untimely turnovers and a failure to get Brock freaking Osweiler off the field for extended periods of time did them in.

single blocking clowney 

Losing out has been the best case scenario for a while now... It's been obvious since early on this team was never going to beat the elite teams in the playoffs. The only thing thing we have been doing is losing draft position. Winning against teams like the Jets is meaningless. Anyone who thought that game was a turning point for the Colts rather than the Jets giving up on the season was delusional. 

27 minutes ago, esmort said:

Losing out has been the best case scenario for a while now... It's been obvious since early on this team was never going to beat the elite teams in the playoffs. The only thing thing we have been doing is losing draft position. Winning against teams like the Jets is meaningless. Anyone who thought that game was a turning point for the Colts rather than the Jets giving up on the season was delusional. 

Been saying this since losing to Jacksonville..... This team can not bang with the best. We are one of the bottom 10 teams in this league. CHANGES are needed and fans should make LOS a half empty shell till the end of the season.  Hit Irsay in the ego and pocketbook!:censored:

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Its horrifying to say but at this point the best case scenario long term for this team is we lose out the rest of the season. No playoffs. Triggers a front office and coaching tear down and rehire. Top 10/12 pick in every round in a good draft class.

I am not a hater. I am not a jersey burner. I love this team. But if we make the playoffs, nothing will change next year. Irsay has an excuse to save face and not fire Grigs and Pags by saying we made the playoffs.

I'm not willing to wait another 5 years for Grigson to accidentally put a decent team on the field.

I agree lose out.

Fact - outside the QB, this is one of the worst teams in the league.  If you're a Chuck lover, I might cut you slack.  How anyone, however, can still defend Grigson, I have no idea.  Are you really frightened that another GM couldn't assemble a bottom 5 defense or O-line?

There's only one reason someone might continue to defend Grigson - fear of admitting they were wrong.

Completely agree. Make Pagano, Grigson and the rest of the staff look stupid giving Irsay no choice but to get rid of the incompetent jerks, then get a real GM and coaching staff, have some high draft picks, and swing for the fences in free agency bringing in 2-3 stud free agents. That's the best case scenario. Then we can go into the season as a top tier team. We need some young playmakers on defense, and probably a WR. We can add 3-4 playmakers on D this offseason easily. And this team needs a mean streak, some nasty in your face type players who had rather kill somebody than to lose a game. Guys who'll try and take your head off then get in your face and taunt you. We need some guys in the mold Vontaze Burfict, Aqib Talib, etc.

Grigson is an absolute joke of a GM. I think that should be noted daily on this forum. We take losers like Dorsett and Smith when we could have had Eric Kendricks and Danielle Hunter. We take an un-athletic EDGE rusher instead of Xavier Rhodes. We trade a 1st for another nobody. We sign Patrick Robinson and Greg Toler instead of Sean Smith or Casey Hayward. We don't sign any good players in free agency, and we accept losing. We should have the best team in the NFL right now. We are the Colts and we have a top 5 QB. 6-7 is unacceptable.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

And btw. I didn't like the Dorsett pick, but I thought he had the potential to be a star. He still may, but it sure doesn't look like it.

They actually tried to get him involved early this week, and he just couldn't make the plays. Tough catches, for the most part, and the Texans were playing physical on the back end, but Dorsett needed to make those plays. 

I still have a big problem with the passing attack. Everything was against tight coverage, and the short middle was wide open all game long.

There's no need for them to purposely lose out. After that performance they'll go out and play their hardest and probably still lose. It's clear to me now that the Colts have just been beating up on bad teams. Chargers, Bears, Titans twice, Packers, and Jets.

But higher draft picks won't help if Grigson is the one making the picks. I want to see how they play the Raiders and Vikings so I can get a read on the teams issues.

Oh yeah and the bum general manager who I HOPE is working at a grocery store by this time 2-3 years from now cant even do what "he does" He wanted to bring in middle of the road guys who had the potential to turn into good players, or ascending players, talented guys who hadn't quite met their potential. He wanted to bring those guys in and find gems. Guys who he thought could put it all together. Guys like Toler, Walden, RJF, etc. But he couldn't even do that right. Why didn't he bring in Nick Perry, Casey Hayward, Morris Claiborne, and Zach Brown this offseason????? Those are his kinda guys right? They're all having great years. Just goes to show he cant really do anything right as a GM.

Oh and you guys know who we could have got if we hadn't traded for the next beast mode????? DEE FORD

Sorry for the rant, but you guys know I can get wound up and passionate about my team now, and I'm as disgusted over this loss as I've been in a long time. But I'm just being real. We have a franchise QB and we're wasting year after year by not surrounding him with talent.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

They actually tried to get him involved early this week, and he just couldn't make the plays. Tough catches, for the most part, and the Texans were playing physical on the back end, but Dorsett needed to make those plays. 

I still have a big problem with the passing attack. Everything was against tight coverage, and the short middle was wide open all game long.

Hilton was Ok and so was Doyle. The rest of the players really failed with Dorsett leading the way. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rogers get a little more of a look. Pretty sure they will lean toward Dorsett as he's the 1st rounder but not sure if he's earned that this year.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Hilton was Ok and so was Doyle. The rest of the players really failed with Dorsett leading the way. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rogers get a little more of a look. Pretty sure they will lean toward Dorsett as he's the 1st rounder but not sure if he's earned that this year.

Dorsett is absolute trash. No more excuses can be made for him. I'm officially labeling him a bust. Not even a #3 receiver.

But as for Dorsett I mean you can look at it many ways. I'm mad as holy heck at him, and the fact we drafted him, but it is just his 2nd year. I mean he could come in next year and ball out. Look at Devontae Adams. He's killing it this year after struggling his first couple years. I have a good friend who is a big Packers fan, and up until recently he was always saying "man we could have had Allen Robinson, Dontae Moncrief, or John Brown. Now he's pretty happy with Adams as are the rest of the cheese head nation. But yeah. Dorsett's still a pup. Sometimes it takes a couple years.....Then boom. Hopefully that's the case, but he was frustrating today..

The Colts got beat by a team that is at best their equal. They beat the Jets  but the 49ers are beating them as well. Luck will never learn to get rid of the ball. The Texans defense covered the receivers well today. The Titans won today and the jags lost. Next year the Texans and Titans will be better and judging from recent history the Colts will not. The reason the Colts are a flop is they are poorly managed, We have heard many time so-and-so knows what type of players most suited for a position just like Bill Polan knew. Last year's number one draft is mediocre at best. He is fast so he should run track. TRust me with the current "system" the Colts will tread water for years.

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Moncrief being out had an impact. 

The problem, IMO, is that they don't run stuff that favors Dorsett's skill set. They want him to play like Hilton, and he doesn't have the body control or the confidence in his hands (notice how he jumps to let the ball in his gut, rather than snagging it with his hands). Quick hitters, please... At the same time, you can see how Dorsett's speed stresses the secondary; he gets a lot of PI calls. And if you go back to the Jets game, Luck missed him on a TD on a busted coverage; of course, there were a lot of open receivers in that game. Dorsett played poorly today, and has too many drops this year, but they're still not using him right, IMO.

Doyle did what he does, so did Hilton. Sadly, so did Chud, and I think that's the main reason for the loss.

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Concur with all of the above.  Not a hater or jersey burner either, just don't see the playoffs in our future and, with the way the NFL currently constructs its draft order, there is no good reason for the Colts to attempt to win another game.  Titans will probably win at LEAST 2 of the next 3 and the Texans own the head-to-head.  Lose out, hope for a top 12-ish pick, and hopefully have a new GM/HC in place making the decisions this time.

Guys we can be a top 5 team NEXT year with the right moves. No need to rebuild. We have a franchise QB. We just need to bring in some impact players. If we sign say Nick Perry and Draft Tim Williams all of a sudden we have a beastly pass rush. I see Williams as a guy who could come in and make a major impact from day 1 as a pass rusher. Like an Aldon Smith rookie year type impact. He may struggle against the run at first but I'm talking about getting after the QB. Then we need at least 1 athletic, sideline to sideline, all around ILB, and a CB oppo Davis. We can get a stud, day 1 starting ILB in the early 2nd. But we have to get rid of the GM and entire coaching staff first of all. Going all in for Harbaugh is probably the best course of action.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Doyle did what he does, so did Hilton. Sadly, so did Chud, and I think that's the main reason for the loss.

Being a lifelong Colts fan, I am as guilty of this as anyone, but teams like Dallas, Seattle, etc... they, on a regular basis, win games with an imperfect passing game... at best.   Hopefully, at some point we, in Indy,  realize there are numerous ways, outside the passing game, of winning a game.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Moncrief being out had an impact. 

The problem, IMO, is that they don't run stuff that favors Dorsett's skill set. They want him to play like Hilton, and he doesn't have the body control or the confidence in his hands (notice how he jumps to let the ball in his gut, rather than snagging it with his hands). Quick hitters, please... At the same time, you can see how Dorsett's speed stresses the secondary; he gets a lot of PI calls. And if you go back to the Jets game, Luck missed him on a TD on a busted coverage; of course, there were a lot of open receivers in that game. Dorsett played poorly today, and has too many drops this year, but they're still not using him right, IMO.

You and I mentioned before that they were not using Dorsett properly and I still feel that way. But he does need to catch the ball better ... no doubt on that one. Yeah with Chud. You had to run the ball and throw short passes in that first half. Those pass plays we ran wee right into the teeth of the defense they were playing. It's like Chud bought into O Brien saying their main objectives to stop Gore .

19 minutes ago, #12. said:

Being a lifelong Colts fan, I am as guilty of this as anyone, but teams like Dallas, Seattle, etc... they, on a regular basis, win games with an imperfect passing game... at best.   Hopefully, at some point we, in Indy,  realize there are numerous ways, outside the passing game, of winning a game.

In this game, the bad passing game is the reason we lost, IMO. The defense actually played a decent game. 

It's just that there's a way to help your struggling offense get into a rhythm, but our offense is almost entirely based on concepts that have a high degree of difficulty and require good blocking. So not only are we asking the passing game to carry the team -- it's clearly the team's biggest strength -- but we're also making it as hard on them as possible.