Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay: "We Could Be 6-0"

Defjamz26

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Why are you not using the same 'should have been' scenarios where the Colts screwed up? Don't answer.....we all know why.

The 4th and 1 against the Jags. Put the D would of somehow gave up a score if we tooonthe league. I have no confidence in the colts defense 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Gyworks said:

Weren't the 2005 Giants also 2-4 at this stage? I guess that for a true fan, and I sure think that Irsay is one, the hope doesn't die until the end. We've seen teams to turn around their seasons this late so if you don't mind I'll try to remain a believer.

We have a way worse roster than they did. 

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree. I don't know what some fans expect Jimmy to say? Jimmy is not going to call his team players losers and chastise them to the media.

I understand there are a lot of fans unhappy with the way things have gone down this season but Jimmy has pride and cares about this team.

For some to think he should talk about his team any other way than he did haven't followed Jimmy too long and should know he is not going to do it.

He didn't do it when we went 2-14 and he is not going to media blast his players this season either no matter what the finale game brings.

Fans making statements about what Jimmy should be saying and what he should be doing is fandom at most and has no effect on what he will be doing. Calling him stupid and every other name they can think of is narrow minded and childish IMO.

The only way to get better is to keep playing. If things don't turn around then there will be some changes at the time when changes can be made.

Exactly, why not wait till the end of the season. It's not even half way. Be professional keep comments in house.

• 2 weeks later...
On October 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Defjamz26 said:

No. But we're not which is the point. Should've, could've , would've is loser talk 101. Everyone "could've" won this game or that one in hindsight. Could've doesn't win championships though. Could've won that Patriots game last year too but...

Exactly, that's why all HCs & GMs get hired. Not to win division titles, but SB rings. Nothing else matters. 

On October 22, 2016 at 9:28 PM, crazycolt1 said:

If Irsay should stay silent then it turns into what? He don't have nothing to say? Irsay is the owner. He will defend his team no matter what the circumstances are. For you or anyone else to determine what is right or what is wrong on what he says, does and what he should do is irrelevant.

Just because I don't play the sky is falling and feel this team needs blowing up you and a few other feel I play mediator. That is not true. I just face reality. Most feel the team needs people fired without thinking about what then? Lots of opinion on a lot of things but there is nothing that says it would be better. Believe me when I say it could get a lot worse but most don't look that far down the road. They want instant results and gratification and that is not the way things work in the NFL. We fire the GM and head coach when ever things get rough and then we become a team like the Browns or the past Bucs. The old saying beware of what you ask for holds true in the case IMO.

Tell that to British Petroleum employees after the oil spill in the Gulf in 2010 CC1. Translation: Just because an executive at a company or an owner of a football team has considerable pull & influence inside a profitable & lucrative organization, that doesn't necessarily mean that boasting about the health of their franchise or your leadership confidence in key individuals is a good idea when things are going well. You never wanna pour gasoline on a open flame with short sighted remarks that heighten tensions as opposed to alleviating them. Fans don't want to hear that everything is okay when we know that is far from the case. It comes across as disingenuous when an owner tries to convince you that the state of the team is better than it really is. 

That's excessive comparing a desire for a regime to the Browns or the dismal Bucs before say Tony Dungy took over that team as HC. Is this fanbase demanding a coaching or front office change every single season? No. What is equally just as dangerous is pretending like inadequate coaching isn't a huge problem here & maintaining status quo yr after yr with no signs of a reduction of penalties on the horizon or halftime adjustments on a regular basis. 

On 10/22/2016 at 3:30 PM, Defjamz26 said:

That's been the story for 4 years now. Plus you can say the same about any team that loses a close game by that logic. Hell the Browns could be 6-0

It occurred to me that there is really one primary reason we are losing these tight games that in the previous years we won... not sure what took me so long to see it.  

The difference? Penalties and bonehead coaching decisions.  We have significantly regressed on both fronts.  The Detroit game fell squarely on Pagano calling the late time out and leaving 47 seconds on the clock which was plenty for Detroit to march to a win.  Denzelle Good cost us a chance to kick it onsides, or try for one defensive stop, which we accomplished against TN, due to his penalty that called back the long TD to Moncrief.  And if you go back and look at the other losses, you'll see penalties and a really dumb coaching call here and there as the difference.  Perhaps Chud is the coaching factor, in that he was Chuck's assistant and could influence the HC more directly than he can now as an OC.  (That's just one of many theories that are revealing themselves to me tonight, don't freak).   On top of it, we have an effort problem that has seeped into the team.  Look at how distraught Gore has been (though he's balling the best he can even though they tend to forget he's on the team in the second half) about things.  Look at Hilton's lousy attitude.  Look at young WR's mouthing off against the teams best player by a mile.  That's all a degradation from previous years and there's only one person at fault for all of this, and it isn't Grigson.   Chuck has lost the team.   If he hasn't, I'd hate to see what it would look like then.   

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It occurred to me that there is really one primary reason we are losing these tight games that in the previous years we won... not sure what took me so long to see it.  

The difference? Penalties and bonehead coaching decisions.  We have significantly regressed on both fronts.  The Detroit game fell squarely on Pagano calling the late time out and leaving 47 seconds on the clock which was plenty for Detroit to march to a win.  Denzelle Good cost us a chance to kick it onsides, or try for one defensive stop, which we accomplished against TN, due to his penalty that called back the long TD to Moncrief.  And if you go back and look at the other losses, you'll see penalties and a really dumb coaching call here and there as the difference.  Perhaps Chud is the coaching factor, in that he was Chuck's assistant and could influence the HC more directly than he can now as an OC.  (That's just one of many theories that are revealing themselves to me tonight, don't freak).   On top of it, we have an effort problem that has seeped into the team.  Look at how distraught Gore has been (though he's balling the best he can even though they tend to forget he's on the team in the second half) about things.  Look at Hilton's lousy attitude.  Look at young WR's mouthing off against the teams best player by a mile.  That's all a degradation from previous years and there's only one person at fault for all of this, and it isn't Grigson.   Chuck has lost the team.   If he hasn't, I'd hate to see what it would look like then.   

I hear you, but the thing is that all of that comes down to coaching and talent one way or another. The Good penalty? A better player wouldn't have gotten that flag. Some penalties might be on coaching. It's equal IMO.

15 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Exactly, that's why all HCs & GMs get hired. Not to win division titles, but SB rings. Nothing else matters. 

Tell that to British Petroleum employees after the oil spill in the Gulf in 2010 CC1. Translation: Just because an executive at a company or an owner of a football team has considerable pull & influence inside a profitable & lucrative organization, that doesn't necessarily mean that boasting about the health of their franchise or your leadership confidence in key individuals is a good idea when things are going well. You never wanna pour gasoline on a open flame with short sighted remarks that heighten tensions as opposed to alleviating them. Fans don't want to hear that everything is okay when we know that is far from the case. It comes across as disingenuous when an owner tries to convince you that the state of the team is better than it really is. 

That's excessive comparing a desire for a regime to the Browns or the dismal Bucs before say Tony Dungy took over that team as HC. Is this fanbase demanding a coaching or front office change every single season? No. What is equally just as dangerous is pretending like inadequate coaching isn't a huge problem here & maintaining status quo yr after yr with no signs of a reduction of penalties on the horizon or halftime adjustments on a regular basis. 

British Petroleum ?? :puhleeze: Where do you come up with stuff like this?

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

British Petroleum ?? :puhleeze: Where do you come up with stuff like this?

If you really need me to connect the dots I will. CC1, for whatever reason, you seem to act as though you are on the Colts payroll to keep the current HC & GM intact & employed indefinitely by Mr. Irsay . Now, you are certainly entitled to your opinion & you are under no obligation to agree with me that INDY needs new leadership in 2017 of course. 

My PB Gulf example makes perfect sense actually because when a disaster is unfolding before your very own eyes management cannot pretend that this team isn't rapidly regressing. We always start slow, we rely on Luck to make miraculous throws & plays with his feet to give our squad a glimmer of hope every week, we keep making stupid penalties, which we can't overcome since our defense sucks; Grigson has shown me he is incapable of protecting Andrew & will probably draft another WR...

And Jimmy gives Chuck & Ryan his vote of confidence. Why? Also, if you remember the Deep Water Horizon disaster, executives at PB never informed any agency that toxic oil was spilling into the ocean. They just pretended like everything was fine, nothing was broken beneath the surface of their well, & if we just go about our daily business somehow things will magically improve. Kind of like Grigson: If we just hunker down & work harder a Championship is right around the corner. LOL! Both Grigson & Pagano have been here since 2012. That's long enough to know that neither man has any idea how to beat NE or Pittsburgh, they can't protect Luck, the number of penalties committed is not declining in 2016, & working for an NFL franchise is not a charity okay. If you can't defeat teams outside your division that routinely compete for SBs, it's time to go. 

Yeah sure CC1, you mention the Browns & the Bucs like we're about to transform into them just because we fire Ryan & Chuck at the end of the year. I seem to recall that we still had success after Jim Caldwell & Bill Polian were dismissed in 2011. Did INDY fans flip cars over & start dumpster fires once that regime change occurred? Nope. 

To be honest, you need to prepare yourself for the reality that both Pags & Grigs are going to be released soon. It's only a matter of time. Rings are king. Everything else is window dressing. I discard dead weight; I don't keep it around for posterity purposes. 

Here's what I would like to know: What was the sales pitch to Jimmy from Chuck & Ryan to get lengthy contract extensions? That neither guy had an appreciation for what the other person needed & now they will give each other more freedom? Okay, I get it both guys were new to the roles they were filling as HC & GM & it takes 8 months to a yr to feel the other one out & get a sense of their management style/personality traits. 

The other item that Irsay drove home was Pags/Grigs progression every yr in the playoffs until 2015. Okay, but the bulk of that success is contingent upon Luck--A superior athlete that Jimmy pulled the trigger on not Ryan or Chuck. 

I just can't get past the hits Luck is taking though & Ryan isn't protecting him. Okay yes, Chud our OC needs to put Andrew in better situations, incorporate screens more, & help Luck go thru his progressions faster all true. 

Chuck does deserve credit for hiring Joe Philbin as the OL coach. I say that because I hated this move initially, but I can own when I was wrong about a new position coach. 

I just don't believe in continuing partnerships that aren't evolving fast enough. Sure, locker room chemistry matters but I just don't get a sense of urgency on the field to win. Part of that is a suspect defense, but I just never feel like we adjust accordingly to what superior teams are doing to us. It can't always be our roster is just young & inexperienced can it? 

Grigs makes it sound like we are right on the cusp of making a leap forward & I just don't see it. 

9 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Here's what I would like to know: What was the sales pitch to Jimmy from Chuck & Ryan to get lengthy contract extensions? That neither guy had an appreciation for what the other person needed & now they will give each other more freedom? Okay, I get it both guys were new to the roles they were filling as HC & GM & it takes 8 months to a yr to feel the other one out & get a sense of their management style/personality traits. 

The other item that Irsay drove home was Pags/Grigs progression every yr in the playoffs until 2015. Okay, but the bulk of that success is contingent upon Luck--A superior athlete that Jimmy pulled the trigger on not Ryan or Chuck. 

I just can't get past the hits Luck is taking though & Ryan isn't protecting him. Okay yes, Chud our OC needs to put Andrew in better situations, incorporate screens more, & help Luck go thru his progressions faster all true. 

Chuck does deserve credit for hiring Joe Philbin as the OL coach. I say that because I hated this move initially, but I can own when I was wrong about a new position coach. 

I just don't believe in continuing partnerships that aren't evolving fast enough. Sure, locker room chemistry matters but I just don't get a sense of urgency on the field to win. Part of that is a suspect defense, but I just never feel like we adjust accordingly to what superior teams are doing to us. It can't always be our roster is just young & inexperienced can it? 

Grigs makes it sound like we are right on the cusp of making a leap forward & I just don't see it. 

And that's something that I've thought has been overstated as well. Saying we progressed each year. All we did was win one more game but the team itself didn't progress. We didn't get better at our weak points. The OL never got better, the D actually regressed, and we're still committing a bunch of penalties and missing tackles. I think Irsay missed that. The writing was on the wall that the Colts would collapse like this. Last year they had the Luck injury as an excuse but he's started every game and they aren't improved. Now that we can't just have our way with the Jags and Texans, the true Colts are revealed. This team hasn't gotten better in 5 years.

But they continue to hang their hat on what they did in the past. I think that's Irsay's problem. Looking at wins and not the actual team. There's a reason why some coaches are fired after winning seasons.

16 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Well stated bro!

My guess is Irsay gave an extension to Grigs&Pags because there was no better available option for GM and HC.

The team performed well prior to 2016. (IMO finishing with 8-8 without Luck is an achievement even in the weak AFCS), but this year is a total meltdown, and i don't see any chance this team advancing to the PO. Many times the team looks undisciplined, and playcalling isn't the best to say the least. 

Just my 2 cents, but this season can easily result in cleaning the house by the Irsays.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

they continue to hang their hat on what they did in the past. I think that's Irsay's problem. Looking at wins and not the actual team.

Beautifully stated Df26. This franchise & our owner does seem too enamored with playoff advances instead of coming to terms with beating teams like Pittsburgh, NE, & Seattle in order to win a 2nd SB ring. 

Look, I'm not saying Jimmy is foolish. I just mean that if we are struggling to compete in the AFC South now, there's no way we can hope to go on a deep post season run because like Jared said a day ago, once we play teams outside division we typically get demolished. Why would we keep an HC & GM who can't take us past powerhouse teams? It's just insane. 

13 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Well stated bro!

My guess is Irsay gave an extension to Grigs&Pags because there was no better available option for GM and HC.

The team performed well prior to 2016. (IMO finishing with 8-8 without Luck is an achievement even in the weak AFCS), but this year is a total meltdown, and i don't see any chance this team advancing to the PO. Many times the team looks undisciplined, and playcalling isn't the best to say the least. 

Just my 2 cents, but this season can easily result in cleaning the house by the Irsays.

Yeah, I'm totally with you brother. Our team is not even competitive right now & at times, we do look outmanned, out coached, & at a loss for how to fix it. 

Chuck & Ryan are nice guys but they are being paid to protect Luck, run the ball, generate some semblance of a pass rush, & not give away good field position. 

Yes, it's a good possibility that we have a couple of new faces at LOS next yr. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, I'm totally with you brother. Our team is not even competitive right now & at times, we do look outmanned, out coached, & at a loss for how to fix it. 

Chuck & Ryan are nice guys but they are being paid to protect Luck, run the ball, generate some semblance of a pass rush, & not give away good field position. 

Yes, it's a good possibility that we have a couple of new faces at LOS next yr. 

I'm not sure about Ryan, but Chuck is reportedly a nice guy and players love (loved?) him. But NFL isn't about being nice, NFL is about winning. You have to do your job, and you have to do it better and better. 

I don't like that mentality.  That's a Losers mentality. You can easily say then that the Bears could have beat the Colts in the super bowl if we're gonna d that. Do you want to change or say that? if so, then we wouldn't have a Superbowl ring from that year. so let's be honest and deal with the reality of the situation at hand. or just slap yourself for not hiring DC WADE PHILLIPS when you had the chance,  and a host of other mistakes since you could have been 6-0. Look in the mirror and correct what you can fix. That's all.

• 1 month later...

And I quote from the Indy star... "And in one 24-day period last spring, Irsay got 400 tablets of OxyContin: four prescriptions of 100 40-milligram tablets each, records show."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/03/17/from-the-archives-jim-irsay-prescription-drug-problem-is-nothing-new/6528287/

Who knows what kinda conclusions ol Jimmy comes up with after watching games. Is he even conscious for all of them. Lol 

17 minutes ago, Ratking said:

And I quote from the Indy star... "And in one 24-day period last spring, Irsay got 400 tablets of OxyContin: four prescriptions of 100 40-milligram tablets each, records show."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/03/17/from-the-archives-jim-irsay-prescription-drug-problem-is-nothing-new/6528287/

Who knows what kinda conclusions ol Jimmy comes up with after watching games. Is he even conscious for all of them. Lol 

Go outside and play in traffic troll