Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The worst play in the history of football 1 year anniversary.

Happy2BeHere

I really don't think that's the worst play ever.  There was at least some thought to it (eg. try to fool the players to get them to jump offside).  Whalen shouldn't have snapped it, but there was some rationale behind it.

One could make a case that the Seahawks' Super Bowl throw was worse.  All logic dictates to either run the ball, or throw it to the back of the end zone so only your guy can catch it.  Instead, they go against everything and throw it inside.  Not only that, but that play call cost them a championship whereas the Colts misplay cost them a regular season game

There's Garo Yepremian's botched kick/throw in the Super Bowl.  McCown's super ugly pick against the Panthers.  Multiple QBs running out of the back of their own endzone.  Sage Rosencopter.  Leon Lett being Leon Lett.  DeSean Jackson throwing the ball to the ground before reaching the endzone on two (!) separate occasions.

Just now, Anonymous said:

I hate that the turd Whalen is on my team now.

Whalen is actually a solid player.  He's a poor man's Edelman.  He's got decent quickness, reliable hands, and was always good for us when his number was called on 3rd down.

Just now, NorthernBlue said:

well at least ours didn't cost us a super bowl haha

interception.gif?w=500&h=269

You could write a solid essay about all the things wrong with this play.

Logic: Run the ball.  You have arguably the best and most difficult to tackle RB in the league.  This is why you have a hard-nosed, power runner.  To gain you 3 yards when you absolutely have to have them.

Counter: The Seahawks want to save time.  They only have one time out left and the clock is running.  They can't settle for a field goal since they're down by 4.  The Pats also have their goal line defense in the game.

Logic: Try a play action bootleg.  It'll give Wilson the opportunity to run, but his primary goal will be to throw a TD pass.  If nothing's there, he can scramble.  If a defender is on him, he can throw the ball out of the back of the endzone and conserve time

Counter: That would take too much time off the clock.  And the Pats have their goal line defense in, which could negate the threat of any rollout if they do a good job keeping contain.

Logic: Do a quick throw towards the back of the endzone where only your guy can get it.  You have a 6'5" receiver in Chris Matthews who towers over the Pats DBs.  Move him around so Browner isn't on him and run a fade to the back corner of the endzone.  If he catches it, TD.  If not, you lose only a few seconds of the clock

Final result: Throw it inside where even if Matthews had caught it, it doesn't look like he would have made it to the end zone, making the play the equivalent of a 2 yard run, which you negated to try.

7 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Not a Russell Wilson fan?  Why?

Just cant root for him because of the Seahawks fan base. Their fanbase rips Luck to shreds constantly and they think Wilson is a lot better so that is my reasoning. I don't dislike Wilson as a person and I think he has beat some odds to be as Good as he is but I am not rooting for him being a Colts/Luck fan. Seahawks fans were boasting on line how Wilson was getting ready to get Ring #2 while Luck choked against the Pats in the AFC Title Game. Their fanbase made me sick to the point that I didn't even care if the Pats won, no joke.

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

Gotta love Chuck. Even if it's not, it's pathetic that we are talked about in that conversation.

EVERYONE remembers that play and it'll be talked about I'm sure for a long time.

Every year on the year just like clock work, the opposite of the current state of our team.

1 hour ago, colts8718 said:

Another classic from Pagano :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

Gotta love Chuck. Even if it's not, it's pathetic that we are talked about in that conversation.

EVERYONE remembers that play and it'll be talked about I'm sure for a long time.

I don't think Pagano had anything to do with that play.  If you watch the full replay, you can see Pagano saying "why did he snap it?" after the play was over.  I'm very sure the plan was to not snap it and either take the 5 yards for a delay of game, or call a timeout.  But this folly was not on Pagano.

42 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't think Pagano had anything to do with that play.  If you watch the full replay, you can see Pagano saying "why did he snap it?" after the play was over.  I'm very sure the plan was to not snap it and either take the 5 yards for a delay of game, or call a timeout.  But this folly was not on Pagano.

I know you're also on the change of HC wagon like most of us. That just reinforces him not knowing what's going on. 

The coach HAS to make sure everyone's on the same page.

That shouldn't happen man. It's come to that point for me where I expect something dumb or questionable from him.

49 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

To even approve that play was ridiculous.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

I know you're also on the change of HC wagon like most of us. That just reinforces him not knowing what's going on. 

The coach HAS to make sure everyone's on the same page.

That shouldn't happen man. It's come to that point for me where I expect something dumb or questionable from him.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

To even approve that play was ridiculous.

I have no problem with him approving it if Whalen has the situational awareness to know not to snap the ball (which should be common sense, but should also have been reiterated to him by Tom McMahon).  Either try to get them to jump, or take a 5 yard penalty.  But absolutely do not snap it.  If you want to run a fake/trick play, that's fine.  I think this was done by Tom McMahon, so the blame would be on him for not making sure Whalen knew the situation and what to do.  Situational football wins you games.

• 3 weeks later...

What makes it worse though was the situation. It was against New England and a somewhat competitive game (27-21, New England in the 3rd Q), done on our half of the field. Pagano said he didn't coach them enough on the play, or something to that extent. The team needed more practice on the play, period.

4 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

The outcome was bad, and it looked pretty bad but after the explanation I do understand it.

Stupid to call it when the usual personnel weren't available though.

It was stupid either way.  Patriots don't fall for that crap!

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

.... Can we stop bringing up this play?

No, people won't stop.  There are people in this world that are not happy unless they can complain about something.

Yup, it was a bad play design and a bad idea to call it.  But the type of person that keeps bringing it up are the same type that, when they make a mistake, come up with lame excuses and blame everyone for the mistake but themselves.  It's a sad truth about today's society.

3 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

The clueless look on Pagano's face after that garbage play says it all.  What an incredible football mind that man has.....

The look on Pagano's face was.........

"why did you snap the ball?"

Because no one was supposed to.       The hope was to draw someone off-sides or take a penalty.    Not to snap the ball.

33 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The look on Pagano's face was.........

"why did you snap the ball?"

Because no one was supposed to.       The hope was to draw someone off-sides or take a penalty.    Not to snap the ball.

And then the look on Belichek's face was "thanks for the ball, bush'er."

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

And then the look on Belichek's face was "thanks for the ball, bush'er."

Really? Belichick said in his interview it wasn't a bad call. Had the ball not been snapped we had them off sides.

4 hours ago, deedub75 said:

It was stupid either way.  Patriots don't fall for that crap!

Patriots did fall for that crap. They were off sides. Had the ball not been snapped it was a first down for the Colts.

On November 4, 2016 at 2:57 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Really? Belichick said in his interview it wasn't a bad call. Had the ball not been snapped we had them off sides.

Patriots did fall for that crap. They were off sides. Had the ball not been snapped it was a first down for the Colts.

That makes no sense.  Doesn't the ball have to be snapped for there to be an offsides call?