Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The O-line shows improvement

oldunclemark

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

There were crucial penalties that wiped out key gains,,I know I saw them.

But we ran the ball against a really good defensive front..

We have rookies....baby steps...

Tonight may not be the night for rational folks lol I agree the oline looks better but believe you me I flew out to this game and wasted money so my pitchforks out too

3 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

The problem with the O-line / Pass blocking is coaching. We do not know how to pick up stunts or a delayed blitz.

But JM.,....you shouldnt even play rookie linemen.....for the reasons you state.

But we have to...I just liked Frank Gore running for 100 yards..on the road

The o-line showed improvement until the 4th quarter.

When everyone knew that we had to run and run successfully,  not only couldn't we run very well,  but we absolutely couldn't pass block for Andrew.

So, on balance,  the line was better,   but not even close to good enough when we needed it most,  when the game was on the line.....

A bag of mixed results.......

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When everyone knew that we had to run and run successfully,  not only couldn't we run very well,  but we absolutely couldn't pass block for Andrew.

So, on balance,  the line was better,   but not even close to good enough when we needed it most,  when the game was on the line.....

A sobering but realistic assessment.

Mark you were cool in the game thread, you're killing it though with this..:D

I'm just teasing, but c'mon they were teeing off on him at the end. That was an absolute breakdown. Can't just forget that part.

We keep giving passes to this team. They're really bad right now.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You were fair with this comment. I stated something similar. You can't have a breakdown that bad in crunch time.

38 minutes ago, Imrryr said:

Tonight may not be the night for rational folks lol I agree the oline looks better but believe you me I flew out to this game and wasted money so my pitchforks out too

I would agree it is difficult to see anything positive right now with the way the entire franchise melted down in the 4th quarter.  You may be right but I can't see it at this point in time.

41 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

But JM.,....you shouldnt even play rookie linemen.....for the reasons you state.

But we have to...I just liked Frank Gore running for 100 yards..on the road

Rookie O Linemen don't learn to pick up stunts or a delayed blitz by sitting on the sidelines. They can only do that in game action. If they are physically strong enough to play and have some history in 3 point stance they should play. That's how they learn

With the oline playing better, until the 4th, I'm going to hold final judgement of the offense until I see Hilton, Moncrief, Allen, and Dorsett on the field at the same time.  We were without 3 of them in the 4th and that killed us as much as anything.  And, here I go with could of, should of, would of's, if Luck would have put some more heat on the ball to Hilton that was reviewed and the catch was reversed, we could have kept the drive going.  Plenty of blame to go around, thats for sure.  And Doyle's pass blocking really disappointed me.  I thought the loss of Allen was big and I'm not a big fan.  The hopes of being better than a 500 team are slim to none with this bottom of the barrel defense.  We need to draft linebackers next year like we drafted o line this year.  Hit it and hit it hard.

7 minutes ago, bigt said:

With the oline playing better, until the 4th, I'm going to hold final judgement of the offense until I see Hilton, Moncrief, Allen, and Dorsett on the field at the same time.  We were without 3 of them in the 4th and that killed us as much as anything.  And, here I go with could of, should of, would of's, if Luck would have put some more heat on the ball to Hilton that was reviewed and the catch was reversed, we could have kept the drive going.  Plenty of blame to go around, thats for sure.  And Doyle's pass blocking really disappointed me.  I thought the loss of Allen was big and I'm not a big fan.  The hopes of being better than a 500 team are slim to none with this bottom of the barrel defense.  We need to draft linebackers next year like we drafted o line this year.  Hit it and hit it hard.

I hope grigs does not pick for us

The o-line were fine until they really needed to be.

Some of the assignments and pick ups looked really wierd though. On the overtime sack I thought I saw Doyle (from the right hand side of our formation) and Turbin trying to block the whole left hand side - including Clowne - by themselves while everyone else folded inside.

30 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

The o-line were fine until they really needed to be.

Some of the assignments and pick ups looked really wierd though. On the overtime sack I thought I saw Doyle (from the right hand side of our formation) and Turbin trying to block the whole left hand side - including Clowne - by themselves while everyone else folded inside.

It is not an unusual protection to call and is often called in play action situations. Doyle simply missed his assignment and the Texans LB played it great/almost looked like he knew what was coming. Therefore, the problem is why were they calling that protection in that situation. If Doyle runs into the flat then that LB has to cover him or he is wide open. Even if he covers him, then Luck has time to make his reads and step up. So many head scratching play calls tonight. 

43 minutes ago, 19colt said:

It is not an unusual protection to call and is often called in play action situations. Doyle simply missed his assignment and the Texans LB played it great/almost looked like he knew what was coming. Therefore, the problem is why were they calling that protection in that situation. If Doyle runs into the flat then that LB has to cover him or he is wide open. Even if he covers him, then Luck has time to make his reads and step up. So many head scratching play calls tonight. 

I wasn't sure whether Doyle missed his assignment or whether he'd originally got his eyes on helping Turbin with Clowney and completely missed the blitzer until it was too late. 

I agree that it's not unusual but if you're going to leave Clowney 1-on-1 in a crucial situation then surely your £10m per year left tackle should be picking that up rather than helping out inside and leaving it to your 5'10" running back.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

I wasn't sure whether Doyle missed his assignment or whether he'd originally got his eyes on helping Turbin with Clowney and completely missed the blitzer until it was too late. 

I agree that it's not unusual but if you're going to leave Clowney 1-on-1 in a crucial situation then surely your £10m per year left tackle should be picking that up rather than helping out inside and leaving it to your 5'10" running back.

I went back and looked and from an X's and O's perspective, Doyle is responsible for the LB and Turbin is one on one with Clowney. Doyle thinks the LB has dropped into coverage so goes to help on Clowney and misses the delayed blitz. I agree, it doesn't make much sense. I can't see where the routes end up but it looks like the play is designed to hit Hilton on the short (but not quick) out route . I have to think there would have been a better way to attempt to pick up 3rd and 3 than max protecting with Doyle coming across the formation to do so. You would certainly think they would have slid towards Clowney and it appeared they were going to do so before the time out. I'm just guessing but it is possible that all they did in the time out was to flip the play call, hence sliding the protection the opposite way also.  

1 hour ago, 19colt said:

I went back and looked and from an X's and O's perspective, Doyle is responsible for the LB and Turbin is one on one with Clowney. Doyle thinks the LB has dropped into coverage so goes to help on Clowney and misses the delayed blitz. I agree, it doesn't make much sense. I can't see where the routes end up but it looks like the play is designed to hit Hilton on the short (but not quick) out route . I have to think there would have been a better way to attempt to pick up 3rd and 3 than max protecting with Doyle coming across the formation to do so. You would certainly think they would have slid towards Clowney and it appeared they were going to do so before the time out. I'm just guessing but it is possible that all they did in the time out was to flip the play call, hence sliding the protection the opposite way also.  

I'm fine with the play call. If Doyle blocks McKinney Turbin has an easy catch and run for the first down. Their is always a better play call. Doyle just missed the block

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

I'm fine with the play call. If Doyle blocks McKinney Turbin has an easy catch and run for the first down. Their is always a better play call. Doyle just missed the block

Turbin was not meant to be an outlet on the play. They had him blocking Clowney and he got beat. Luck was supposed to throw to Hilton on the out but a Texans DL got his hands in the passing lane. Luck went looking for his second read but it was too late. I still think it was a bad play call but after watching it yet again, Luck would have been wise to let it rip to Hilton in hope that it wasn't batted down. 

Helping for gore get 100 yards is okay but a lot of that had to do with gore himself squeezing thru the smallest holes and not going down..they barely did much for him and pass blocking wise psh they're too damn stupid to see what a delayed blitz is or stunt..I'm surprised they didn't get called or more holds clowney was owning Ac  and haeg ...Mercilus is thier best pass rusher at the moment and they leave him one on one with a rookie yeah smart  I saw haeg and gore get bulrushed by 1 man and that man sacked luck. That's great improvement 

I liked what I saw from the run blocking quite a bit.  Especially the guys on the right side.  They were blowing open some nice holes out there.  Pass blocking was fine for the most part.  Luck had enough time to do what he needed to do except the latter portions of the 4th quarter.

9 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

There were crucial penalties that wiped out key gains,,I know I saw them.

But we ran the ball against a really good defensive front..

We have rookies....baby steps...

It was pretty exciting to see a reasonably effective run game. If this unit can gel together and grow, they will probably pick up a lot over the next year or 2. 

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I wonder how much the injuries to the receivers and Allen played a part in what happened late in the game. Maybe the Texans D knew the Colts were thin there and had the chance to tee off finally.

No the colts could still run the ball they choose not to and got away from it again, They were getting chunks against a tired Houston defense, And started to play pass happy again with the game on the line instead of picting the ball and cut back runs 

1 minute ago, Archangel said:

No the colts could still run the ball they choose not to and got away from it again, They were getting chunks against a tired Houston defense, And started to play pass happy again with the game on the line instead of picting the ball and cut back runs 

and I'm wondering if it's Luck calling out of run plays into pass plays or they O is just getting pass happy. Hard to tell.

What is weird to see with this Colts team is that we're running the football decently. Isn't that odd? Gore's last 4 games.... 82 Yards, 68 Yards, 75 Yards, 106 Yards. Not too bad but not awful. As far as pass protection, it seems shoddy at times or a little messy but it's growing pains of rookie linemen. 

4 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

and I'm wondering if it's Luck calling out of run plays into pass plays or they O is just getting pass happy. Hard to tell.

IMOP I think he is going by what is called because if he is calling out of run plays on 3rd and 2 then someone needs to sit him down because the right side was dominating the Houston defense last night for 3 to 4 yards a clip. That what I could not understand Gore was doing some good cutbacks but in the 4th they decided it was time to go and start passing the Houston defense was playing a run Blitz but their are plays the colts have to get out of that situation I am sure, like pitches or screens. 3 step drop slants. But not 15 yard hitch or out patterns.