Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An interesting Hypothesis regarding the Colts Defense

Indeee

Is our defense the product of Uninspired Coaching? or Uninspired Players? Or Both? and are they intertwined....

I'm so stumped when it comes to our current defensive regime coaches and players that it has made me wonder and reflect on the defense regarding the colts over the past decade to the present in order to possibly figure out why this just hasn't worked.

The present: I always thought once Pagano (defensive guy) was hired we would eventually have a smash-mouth defense similar to the Ravens, seeing as that's where Pags roots were before coming to Indy. The hiring of SD coordinator always made me scratch my head, considering SD's defense stunk under Manusky. Colts defense did too, enter Monachino from, you guessed it Ravens. Finally, a chance to get Raven-Like in approach I thought. Well 4 games in and.... Nope. I'm not buying into injuries and player talent as many other teams around the league use less and get more than this team has in the first 4 games this year. So what could it be?

Well I looked back at the Ravens defense when these 2 guys were there and an interesting note came to my mind... Could it be that the Ravens players success was built not on the coaching but the players themselves? Mainly ONE player and that player being Ray Lewis?

Then I looked back at the Colts defense under Dungy, also a defensive guy like Pags, yet our defense stunk for years, actually the only time our defense didn't stink was... Yep, the Playoff run in 2006 that got us the SuperBowl. Here's whats fun. Media touted Dungy that year for turning around the "D" after we we're getting shelled to the point of barely making the playoffs only to have a magical run. I remember Dungy saying, we will get it fixed after Jaxx ran all over us toward the end of season. Was Dungy  the one who got it fixed? Seems odd but the Defense actually came together once BOB came back.

Seemed like BOB lit the fire into our team where the coaches could not and a team with a couple all pros and many JAGS were lights out in playoffs. As it was statistically, our defense played better when BOB was on the field vs. when he was injured. Then it dawned on me yet again. Could it have been that Ray Lewis was the "Emotional Leader" that brought out the best in the Raven players comprised of a couple all pros and a bunch of JAGS and not the Ravens coaching staff ( Pags, Monachino) at all? We will never know but what if Pags and Monachino and the rest fed off of Rays energy too?

It's an interesting debate, but clearly a coincidental link to Colts defenses and coaching ties elsewhere over the past decade.

Either way, the current Colts defensive regime lacks an "Emotional Leader" whether that lies on the Coaches or Players... you decide

17 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Is our defense the product of Uninspired Coaching? or Uninspired Players? Or Both? and are they intertwined....

I'm so stumped when it comes to our current defensive regime coaches and players that it has made me wonder and reflect on the defense regarding the colts over the past decade to the present in order to possibly figure out why this just hasn't worked.

The present: I always thought once Pagano (defensive guy) was hired we would eventually have a smash-mouth defense similar to the Ravens, seeing as that's where Pags roots were before coming to Indy. The hiring of SD coordinator always made me scratch my head, considering SD's defense stunk under Manusky. Colts defense did too, enter Monachino from, you guessed it Ravens. Finally, a chance to get Raven-Like in approach I thought. Well 4 games in and.... Nope. I'm not buying into injuries and player talent as many other teams around the league use less and get more than this team has in the first 4 games this year. So what could it be?

Well I looked back at the Ravens defense when these 2 guys were there and an interesting note came to my mind... Could it be that the Ravens players success was built not on the coaching but the players themselves? Mainly ONE player and that player being Ray Lewis?

Then I looked back at the Colts defense under Dungy, also a defensive guy like Pags, yet our defense stunk for years, actually the only time our defense didn't stink was... Yep, the Playoff run in 2006 that got us the SuperBowl. Here's whats fun. Media touted Dungy that year for turning around the "D" after we we're getting shelled to the point of barely making the playoffs only to have a magical run. I remember Dungy saying, we will get it fixed after Jaxx ran all over us toward the end of season. Was Dungy  the one who got it fixed? Seems odd but the Defense actually came together once BOB came back.

Seemed like BOB lit the fire into our team where the coaches could not and a team with a couple all pros and many JAGS were lights out in playoffs. As it was statistically, our defense played better when BOB was on the field vs. when he was injured. Then it dawned on me yet again. Could it have been that Ray Lewis was the "Emotional Leader" that brought out the best in the Raven players comprised of a couple all pros and a bunch of JAGS and not the Ravens coaching staff ( Pags, Monachino) at all? We will never know but what if Pags and Monachino and the rest fed off of Rays energy too?

It's an interesting debate, but clearly a coincidental link to Colts defenses and coaching ties elsewhere over the past decade.

Either way, the current Colts defensive regime lacks an "Emotional Leader" whether that lies on the Coaches or Players... you decide

Yeah, I think it's both.  I'm not sure that Pagano was even a great DC.  I mean just take a look at the Ravens D.  Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs, Ngata, etc.  Two of those guys  were former DPOYs.  They also had multiple other current or former pro bowl and all pro players on that D.  I really hate to keep piling on Pags because he's such a nice guy, but I feel like he was very unproven before becoming a head coach.   Love the man from what I see of him as a person, but not a good coach.  He keeps chopping that wood though, with a barrelling ball of axes, machetes,  butcher knives, machetes,  and wood chippers. And with all of the grit and determination he can muster, I might add.  

Chuck is totally unproven as a DC. He had many great players with great minds in place his one year as the Ravens DC. He is just a ra ra guy. And like Grigs, he has chosen character and ra ra players over

ones with better talent/athleticism.

The Jags OC did a very good job of Abusing us on the edges.
 He took full advantage of what our ILB`s GIVE away, and what Walden gives you.
And used his big receivers out there very well also. On the Right side anyway. Go Vontae!

-I think as a fan base we have to relax a bit and realize that we are starting a 35 year old OLB in Robert Mathis whos best days are behind him 

-I think as a fan base we have to relax a bit and realize we are starting a 31 year old pass rusher opposite of Mathis in Walden whos a very average pass rusher at best despite the early 4 sacks and Is do to fizzle out anytime now

-I think as a fan base we have to relax and realize Curt Maggitt is only 51 snaps into his career and only 29 pass rush snaps

-I think as a fan base we have to relax and realize Akeem Ayers has only played 58 snaps and only 26 pass rush snaps

-I think as a fan base we have to relax and realize that our D Linemans average age is 25.5 years old of those that have taken a snap and will soon be taking a snap (Art Jones)

-I think we as a fan base have to relax and realize that our star QB just turned 27 years old and probably has another 10 years in the NFL or a more

-I think as a fan base we have to relax and realize we have had pretty good Safety play this year. Particularly from our young Safeties

-I think as a fan base we have to relax a bit and realize that Dorsett has been fine in limited targets

With all that said the team does need a few pieces and we need some rookies to work out very well but right now they are rookies and they will struggle as they develop. Many of the best players today and of the past struggled as rookies

With all that said plenty to be concerned about

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

agreed, makes a person think , we need a player leader on the d

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Man we need some Damn Linebackers bro! Somebody anybody with some talent please!

Our pass rush makes me angry. I've never seen such a joke of a pass rush in all my years as a Colts fan. Its embarrassing and Irsay, Grigson and Pagano should be ashamed of it. Our best pass rusher is an edge setter, completely laughable. (you telling me Okine couldn't make this roster?)

Sorry about the rant Krunk but I'm ticked. Any QB will look good if they have all day in the pocket. 

By the way, what the heck happened to McGill? Fall off the earth?

6 hours ago, Indeee said:

Raiders paid for their defense and it's the worst in the NFL 

It's still early in the season, give the defense time. The run defense is there, just wait until Butler get's healthy to see the pass defense at full power. But Cromartie has to be demoted to 4th CB when Butler comes back 

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Our pass rush makes me angry. I've never seen such a joke of a pass rush in all my years as a Colts fan. Its embarrassing and Irsay, Grigson and Pagano should be ashamed of it. Our best pass rusher is an edge setter, completely laughable.

Sorry about the rant Krunk but I'm ticked. Any QB will look good if they have all day in the pocket. 

You're right though!  This pass rush is pathetic, Monachino who I like said he was a pressure guy, but this isn't any where near what Manusky did when the last time we lost Mathis.  When Manusky lost Mathis he went Blitz Crazy.  Manusky blitzed everything that moved the entire year and we had 41 sacks.  I don't think Monachino has entered that realm yet and I'm not sure that's the answer this time but.......Drastic times call for drastic measures.  LOL!:D

There are some talented players on the defense but they aren't cohesive in working together.  The scheme also seems very muddled and everyone seems confused.   As someone pointed out earlier, there doesn't seem to be a leader on D.   Last, there's no capable pass rush personnel and we are constantly getting beat up the middle.  

5 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Our pass rush makes me angry. I've never seen such a joke of a pass rush in all my years as a Colts fan. Its embarrassing and Irsay, Grigson and Pagano should be ashamed of it. Our best pass rusher is an edge setter, completely laughable.

I hate to use hind sight very much, but I do believe we could have gotten a pass rusher out of that draft this year that would provide more impact that this slow running ILB Morrison. There wasn't a whole lot there, but I know somebody was a better impact player than this Morrison. This loss has even turned me into a Cry Baby today.   LOL!

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

You're right though!  This pass rush is pathetic, Monachino who I like said he was a pressure guy, but this isn't any where near what Manusky did when the last time we lost Mathis.  When Manusky lost Mathis he went Blitz Crazy.  Manusky blitzed everything that moved the entire year and we had 41 sacks.  I don't think Monachino has entered that realm yet and I'm not sure that's the answer this time but.......Drastic times call for drastic measures.  LOL!:D

I had issues with Manusky but honestly I don't recall the pass rush even being this bad under him. And it was bad under him, but as you said he found ways to get pressure. Monachino should say screw it and at least blitz 1 or 2 people every single play. We have nothing to lose. No one is getting pressure, its time to get creative. Do more safety blitzes with Green and Geathers, do something!

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

-I think as a fan base we have to relax a bit and realize that we are starting a 35 year old OLB in Robert Mathis whos best days are behind him 

-I think as a fan base we have to relax a bit and realize we are starting a 31 year old pass rusher opposite of Mathis in Walden whos a very average pass rusher at best despite the early 4 sacks and Is do to fizzle out anytime now

-I think as a fan base we have to relax and realize Curt Maggitt is only 51 snaps into his career and only 29 pass rush snaps

-I think as a fan base we have to relax and realize Akeem Ayers has only played 58 snaps and only 26 pass rush snaps

-I think as a fan base we have to relax and realize that our D Linemans average age is 25.5 years old of those that have taken a snap and will soon be taking a snap (Art Jones)

-I think we as a fan base have to relax and realize that our star QB just turned 27 years old and probably has another 10 years in the NFL or a more

-I think as a fan base we have to relax and realize we have had pretty good Safety play this year. Particularly from our young Safeties

-I think as a fan base we have to relax a bit and realize that Dorsett has been fine in limited targets

With all that said the team does need a few pieces and we need some rookies to work out very well but right now they are rookies and they will struggle as they develop. Many of the best players today and of the past struggled as rookies

So we are too old, but at the same time too young?

8 hours ago, Indeee said:

Of course it is...  Ray Lewis himself said as much.  He said he and a couple of other players ran the practice and coached.  He straight out said we didnt need coaches because we had veterans that ran the show

Pagano has always been over rated because of inheriting that great D

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I was but he's inconsistent.  Worse than Freeman in that area.

Very hot and cold.

Idk where you live but I'm in the Chicago area and watch every bears game usually. I miss Freeman, man. He has a fire in him and I really do think he's a good player. Certainly better than Jackson and Moore. Imo.  He's like a Ray Lewis lite, in terms of playstyle and the fire he plays with. I like the chip on his shoulder. 

I still remember that Seahawks game where it was his job to make sure Wilson didn't scramble all over us and he damn well punished him when he tried. 

9 hours ago, Indeee said:

Why would any Colts fan want to be Ravens-like? The Colts would always smash the Ravens.

30 minutes ago, unvrsty07 said:

So we are too old, but at the same time too young?

No. We simply aren't making plays. Only 13 players on the roster are 30 or older out of 68 players. That's 55 total players 29 or younger. We have 38 players 25 or younger. .

Of the 11 (Excluding Cole/Jones both inactive) active players 30+ 9 either play significant amount of snaps or start. 2 (Vinny, Overton) are involved in the kicking game. 5 of those 11 I would actually say are playing well right now

-Adams

-Vinatieri

-Overton

-Walden

-Gore

30+=

-Adams

-Vinny

-Overton

-Walden

-Gore

-Jones (Hasn't played yet)

-Cole (IR)

-Langford

-Butler

-Reitz

-Cromartie

-Jackson

-Mathis

The roster really isn't that old but the majority of our 30+ players are not playing well

Freeman is the underappreciated player that this thread is speaking about. For whatever imperfections he was labeled with, his presence and leadership have not been replaced. Neither Moore or Morrison are balling anywhere near the level Freeman did.

14 hours ago, Gavin said:

Now you know you can't go and use logic and common sense around here!  Not without illustrations anyway.

6 hours ago, Gavin said:

The roster really isn't that old but the majority of our 30+ players are not playing well

The roster is one of the oldest in the NFL and has been for a number of years.     Some of that is distorted because of Vinatierri...      So that gets factored in...

But, on our defense...    starters and guys playing a lot of snaps.

-- Langford

-- Mathis

-- DQJ

-- Walden

-- Adams

-- Cromartie

-- Cole    (before he was put on IR)

That's a lot of aging players....    and we're not getting enough out of them.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The roster is one of the oldest in the NFL and has been for a number of years.     Some of that is distorted because of Vinatierri...      So that gets factored in...

But, on our defense...    starters and guys playing a lot of snaps.

-- Langford

-- Mathis

-- DQJ

-- Walden

-- Adams

-- Cromartie

That's a lot of aging players....    and we're not getting enough out of them.

It could be older than I initially thought on average. I added it all up and crunched the numbers but hit the wrong button and lost the average age of our players. I wasn't about to go about doing it all over right after I had just completed it the first time

34 minutes ago, Gavin said:

It could be older than I initially thought on average. I added it all up and crunched the numbers but hit the wrong button and lost the average age of our players. I wasn't about to go about doing it all over right after I had just completed it the first time

No worries......     but I made a thread about this during the off-season.

I had read some NFL.com story (and probably an ESPN story too)  about the rosters of all 32 teams and the experts had us downgraded because (A) our roster overall is old...   (though I think younger this year than last?)  but our starting defense had 6 guys 30 or older playing....     over a 16 game schedule,  that's a recipe for disaster....        

Anyway....    I posted about it and,  typically,  got a lot of pushback against that view.....     having that many older guys starting, or playing heavy snaps over the course of a long season is not good....     as bad as things are now,  I fear what happens in late November and December.....    

This is a hard season.....    the most difficult of the five I've been a part of as a Colts fan....

I don't think it is anything about uninspired play. I don't think we have the talent especially with the linebackers to be a good defense. We can improve the defense with the offense starting stronger to keep them off the field longer and letting Ayers get more snaps ahead of Robert.

I still wish we didn't lose Freeman as he is the sure tackler we need and Sio Moore has been awful this year. I still think we are overreacting to this Jags loss. We can sit on our couches and act like playing in London with three days to adjust is easy but it really isn't.