Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Network topic (REAL CONCERN).

Happy2BeHere

Obviously he shares the SAME concerns/patterns that many of us Colts fans do. Many people have witnessed year after year our suspect defense (well...everyone not named Grigson/Pagano) that is.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000701144/article/bill-belichick-carson-wentz-own-week-1-darrelle-revis-torched

7) Every Colt not named Andrew Luck

At the outset of this month, I projected Indy would make the playoffs. My rationale? Andrew freakin' Luck. Well, he's a star quarterback, but apparently not a magician.

Luck was majestic in his return to the field after an injury-marred 2015 campaign, leading a sensational comeback from 21-3 by throwing four touchdown passes against zero picks. But the Colts dropped the home opener to Detroit because the flaws of Luck's supporting cast were omnipresent. The defense was pretty much non-existent -- and definitely not clutch after Luck gave the Colts the lead with 37 ticks remaining. Chuck Pagano's game management was spotty. Ryan Grigson's offensive line was offensive.

10 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

Our problem on offense is we try to come out and establish the run first. We need to come out passing first which will open up the run game

This...the biggest culprit leading to our slow starts is Pagano's insistence on coming out trying to establish the run at the start of games.  He is under the illusion that this team has a defense and running game.  But Griggs has not built this team correctly for that.  We just don't have the gonads for this style of play.  So stop forcing a square peg into a circle and come out throwing the friggin football to set up the run not the other way around.  Also picking up the tempo on offense earlier would help...a lot.  Stop waiting until we fall behind by multiple touchdowns to do this.  This coaching staff is supposed to know all this...are they blind?  

10 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

This...the biggest culprit leading to our slow starts is Pagano's insistence on coming out trying to establish the run at the start of games.  He is under the illusion that this team has a defense and running game.  But Griggs has not built this team correctly for that.  We just don't have the gonads for this style of play.  So stop forcing a square peg into a circle and come out throwing the friggin football to set up the run not the other way around.  Also picking up the tempo on offense earlier would help...a lot.  Stop waiting until we fall behind by multiple touchdowns to do this.  This coaching staff is supposed to know all this...are they blind?  

I was listening to Bob Lamey on the radio earlier and he was saying Andrew was calling his own plays once we went to the hurry up at the end of the Half and it worked - we scored quickly. He thinks we should to do more of that and just pass more if we cant run, short passing is like running. Also he stated one reason why we don't do the hurry up more is because Pagano fears it will put the Defense on the field too much and wear them out. I think we should do the hurry up and just try to outscore teams personally because we have a Very Good QB and Good WR's/TE's as a whole. Our Defense stinks anyway so why not? Andrew is very efficient in the hurry up, always has been.

52 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

They weren't trying to force the run early in the game. They just happened to call some run plays, you know, because it's important to run the ball in the NFL. It's Week 1, we don't know what the OL is capable of. 

First possession was 5 passes (with a sack), 4 runs, including a QB sneak. Second possession was 2 passes (zero yards), 1 run. Third possession was 2 passes (zero yards), 1 run. Fourth possession was 6 passes (with a sack), 1 run, ended in a FG. That's four possessions, pass:run ratio was 15:7.  ????

I also don't think Pagano sets the offensive gameplan or determines the play calling to begin the game, so referring to "Pagano's insistence" is also questionable.

2 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Obviously he shares the SAME concerns/patterns that many of us Colts fans do. Many people have witnessed year after year our suspect defense (well...everyone not named Grigson/Pagano) that is.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000701144/article/bill-belichick-carson-wentz-own-week-1-darrelle-revis-torched

7) Every Colt not named Andrew Luck

At the outset of this month, I projected Indy would make the playoffs. My rationale? Andrew freakin' Luck. Well, he's a star quarterback, but apparently not a magician.

Luck was majestic in his return to the field after an injury-marred 2015 campaign, leading a sensational comeback from 21-3 by throwing four touchdown passes against zero picks. But the Colts dropped the home opener to Detroit because the flaws of Luck's supporting cast were omnipresent. The defense was pretty much non-existent -- and definitely not clutch after Luck gave the Colts the lead with 37 ticks remaining. Chuck Pagano's game management was spotty. Ryan Grigson's offensive line was offensive.

I am firmly convinced that the majority of pundits nowadays know even less about any one team than the fans of that team.  They don't have the time to study each team and get to know them, so they rely primarily on the "general feeling" floating around about each team's strengths and weaknesses echoed by the social media and the internet bloggers.

Just saying the Oline was bad showed he had no real clue about this game.

1 hour ago, CantBeStopped said:

Our problem on offense is we try to come out and establish the run first. We need to come out passing first which will open up the run game

That be true in other games, but it was different in this one.  If you take a look at the play by play chart, we ran the ball fairly effectively on our first drive, and picked up two first downs.  It was three straight pass plays after that that yielded a sack and two incompletions and a punt.

On the next two series, we passed the ball 2 out of 3 times each.  

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We got off to a slow start but I think the O.Line played well. It was our Defense that was terrible!

I agree. I kind of expected the D to play bad with all the injuries, but the tackling was atrocious. Riddick had to have broke 15+ tackles, if not more that whole game. We couldn't seem to tackle him for nothing.

On September 12, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Happy2BeHere said:

Can I get you anything?

On September 12, 2016 at 6:58 PM, 21isSuperman said:

Just a shoulder to cry on

This exchange made me chuckle. I'll throw in a free song on the jukebox at your favorite watering hole if it helps. 

On 9/12/2016 at 8:07 PM, cbear said:

I am firmly convinced that the majority of pundits nowadays know even less about any one team than the fans of that team.  They don't have the time to study each team and get to know them, so they rely primarily on the "general feeling" floating around about each team's strengths and weaknesses echoed by the social media and the internet bloggers.

Just saying the Oline was bad showed he had no real clue about this game.

Its just laziness,  If you are a professional analyst I think at a minimum you should watch all the games on rewind.  Seriously each of them is like a half hour or less.   Seriously if you want to actually know what your talking about you should watch the All 22 film of every game.  Its like what maybe 16 hours all together, where's the dedication?  

I totally agree, the pundits just mindlessly repeat what the 15 second take is of a team despite the fact that the NFL is in constant flux, NOT FOR LONG right, teams change drastically from the beginning of the season to the end and even more after an off season.  The O-line played great yesterday, if this guy had watched the game it would have been obvious.  Luck didn't do it offensively on his own by any means.  But that doesn't fit the narrative of sheer incompetence sans Luck, so no can do.   But is it asking too much to actually watch the games? 

On September 12, 2016 at 10:08 PM, RockThatBlue said:

I agree. I kind of expected the D to play bad with all the injuries, but the tackling was atrocious. Riddick had to have broke 15+ tackles, if not more that whole game. We couldn't seem to tackle him for nothing.

The first couple weeks of the regular season always has lousy tackling though. I never pay attention to wrapping RBs up & bringing them down to the ground until about week 5. 

I was impressed when the team started rolling along & erasing the huge deficit  by the time they were ahead by 1, I was like there gonna prove everybody wrong awesome but that last drive by the Lions was a huge disappointment as was Chuckles saying he would'nt change a thing if he had it to do over ,

Life is a learning experience to say he would take that time out on the last drive & play the prevent D on the Lions last drive is a bigger disappointment than losing that game its aggravating to watch it happen & to hear that the coach did'nt learn from it . Luck has to learn to slide something we can all agree on especially after watching RG3 get hurt , Its a learning curve year after year in the NFL something the coach & players need to do to be successful . 

On 9/12/2016 at 11:08 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Honestly I feel like if we had just tackled better we would have won the game despite our poor secondary.  

There where so many instances of our players getting their hands on guys like Riddick in the backfield but him somehow spinning our juking his way out of the tackle and going for 20+ yards.  

On 9/12/2016 at 6:29 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Near sighted :D

On 9/12/2016 at 7:29 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

Image result for applause gif