Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

should pagano be fired

Bubbz

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, YourNextGM said:

That 1 draft pick was a 1st rnd massive failure.  And lets not discuss the free agents on defense.  Grigson and Pagano are both incompetent and Coach Saban will solce the problems.  He'll be ready to pass the reins to Kiffin after this next championship.  

How hard is it to type when your in a coma?

8 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Yes all teams deal with injuries. But how many have had to deal with as many injuries to one position group as the colts have with their secondary? they had to give significant snaps to 3 guys who had been signed within the past 2 weeks. Cromartie didn't play with the team for the first time until the final preseason game.  With the salary cap and roster limits there's just no way to be prepared for the number of injuries the colts have had to deal with in the secondary.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

All teams have injuries but at some point injuries stop being an excuse and become a reason.  When you are down to five DBs, and two or three of them were signed this week and another was playing his first game for your team after getting here less than a month ago your secondary is going to struggle. Add in a pass rush we already knew didn't exist and a good QB like Stafford and this shouldn't be shocking.

i agree this a flawed team in many areas and trust me after today I get why their is heat on Pagano and Grigson and I am not going sit here and say their shouldn't be but when you are as beat up as the Colts were in the secondary at some point the lack of talent takes over.

as for the other concerns they are extremely valid.  I will say I wish the Colts had come out aggressive on offense like they did after they were down 21-3.  Maybe they were just missing early but to my eye they looked conservative early on and maybe that's part of the reason for the slow starts.

Yeah, we have guys who just came in off the street, but playing DB isn't exactly rocket science. You have a zone to guard or a man to cover. It's not like we brought these guys in this week and immediately asked them to do things they've never done or threw concepts at them they've never seen. They just went out and % the bed, and that speaks as much to equal parts coaching and scouting. Why is it that we are literally incapable of finding guys who can come into a game and not be an all-out liability or worse yet flat out ruin it for us? Are we simply unable to coach them up, and get the most out of them, or are we bringing in guys who simply lack the required talent to play in the league? 

Injuries certainly don't make things easier, but we're compounding that issue. Literally every time we have to turn to depth with this organization it is a severe disadvantage. 

I'm not expecting to turn to the bench and get shutdown coverage. But all we had to do yesterday was keep them from going 50 yards in 36 seconds, and their last drive was just about the easiest one they had all day. Every play was a big win for them.

We stuck to the run too much early. You'd think after all these years someone would have stepped up and told someone "Hey, when Andrew starts picking apart the defense it helps open up the run game for us." But these guys are still stuck in 1978: power run to set up the pass. Since that doesn't work we just sit there and bog down in the mud until we get down enough that we HAVE to go to the air. It's an easily identifiable and curable issue, but here we are in year 5 and we haven't figured it out. It's willful ignorance at this point.

How many more of Luck's years are we going to spend waiting for these guys to figure it out?

Guess what you may not like what I have to say but get over it. #1 We are missing key players off the D line as well as most of our corners , whole secondary beat up for most part. I expected this. On opposite side Luck looked like Luck and if we survive until we get the key players back on D this will be a more than formidable team. Gees first game lets give it a rest lets say till maybe game 4 or 5.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I love how this Bubbz guy only shows up on the forum once in a blue moon and it's always to incite negativity.   Not feeling you today Bubbz, wont fall for it!!!

bad games tend to bring that out.   a lot of people never bother to post unless they are mad

3 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Guess what you may not like what I have to say but get over it. #1 We are missing key players off the D line as well as most of our corners , whole secondary beat up for most part. I expected this. On opposite side Luck looked like Luck and if we survive until we get the key players back on D this will be a more than formidable team. Gees first game lets give it a rest lets say till maybe game 4 or 5.

:agree: 

16 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yeah, we have guys who just came in off the street, but playing DB isn't exactly rocket science. You have a zone to guard or a man to cover. It's not like we brought these guys in this week and immediately asked them to do things they've never done or threw concepts at them they've never seen. They just went out and % the bed, and that speaks as much to equal parts coaching and scouting. Why is it that we are literally incapable of finding guys who can come into a game and not be an all-out liability or worse yet flat out ruin it for us? Are we simply unable to coach them up, and get the most out of them, or are we bringing in guys who simply lack the required talent to play in the league? 

Injuries certainly don't make things easier, but we're compounding that issue. Literally every time we have to turn to depth with this organization it is a severe disadvantage. 

I'm not expecting to turn to the bench and get shutdown coverage. But all we had to do yesterday was keep them from going 50 yards in 36 seconds, and their last drive was just about the easiest one they had all day. Every play was a big win for them.

We stuck to the run too much early. You'd think after all these years someone would have stepped up and told someone "Hey, when Andrew starts picking apart the defense it helps open up the run game for us." But these guys are still stuck in 1978: power run to set up the pass. Since that doesn't work we just sit there and bog down in the mud until we get down enough that we HAVE to go to the air. It's an easily identifiable and curable issue, but here we are in year 5 and we haven't figured it out. It's willful ignorance at this point.

How many more of Luck's years are we going to spend waiting for these guys to figure it out?

So put your Grigson and Pagan shoes on and explain to us all what you would have done. You act like fixing the problems is as simple as snapping your fingers. It's easy to sit behind your screen and say this should be done without knowing exactly how it's done. Grigson is in competition with 31 other GMs in the league for players so it's a cake walk in your mind.

So put your Grigson and Pagan shoes on and explain to us all what you would have done. You act like fixing the problems is as simple as snapping your fingers. It's easy to sit behind your screen and say this should be done without knowing exactly how it's done. Grigson is in competition with 31 other GMs in the league for players so it's a cake walk in your mind.

Well, since I don't have a, you know, fully staffed and equipped scouting department at my disposal I can't say what the options would be to bring in, but if we're bringing guys in who shouldn't see the field what's the point?

As far as coaching-wise, I dunno, maybe not play a prevent defense and make it easy for them to complete passes and move right down the field into FG range?

Maybe you didn't see their final drive yesterday. It was pitch and catch for them. We offered no resistance. At all. If any kind. We pretty much walked them down to FG range.

Buuuuuuuuut maybe you're right. Maybe it's just hard to stop big plays in the NFL. Maybe stopping a team going for 50+ yards in 20 seconds is too much to ask.

But probably not.

19 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Well, since I don't have a, you know, fully staffed and equipped scouting department at my disposal I can't say what the options would be to bring in, but if we're bringing guys in who shouldn't see the field what's the point?

As far as coaching-wise, I dunno, maybe not play a prevent defense and make it easy for them to complete passes and move right down the field into FG range?

Maybe you didn't see their final drive yesterday. It was pitch and catch for them. We offered no resistance. At all. If any kind. We pretty much walked them down to FG range.

Buuuuuuuuut maybe you're right. Maybe it's just hard to stop big plays in the NFL. Maybe stopping a team going for 50+ yards in 20 seconds is too much to ask.

But probably not.

Maybe it would be a little easier to stop big plays if there were some starters on the field instead of on the injury list? Would that be too much to ask? Probably not?

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe it would be a little easier to stop big plays if there were some starters on the field instead of on the injury list? Would that be too much to ask? Probably not?

Again, not an excuse. Injuries happen. It falls on the front office to bring in players who are not a completely inept liability when forced into service. 

Again I'll ask, if we're keeping guys on the team who shouldn't see the field what is the point of having them?

Injuries happen to all 32 teams. Put the Patriots in that situation. The Packers. Broncos. Do they get sliced up like boiling butter on a hot day?

Don't bet on it. Don't bet on it with most teams. 

But us? As soon as we turn to depth our goose is cooked because they aren't quality players, and the coaches can't get enough out of them to make it work. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Again, not an excuse. Injuries happen. It falls on the front office to bring in players who are not a completely inept liability when forced into service. 

Again I'll ask, if we're keeping guys on the team who shouldn't see the field what is the point of having them?

Injuries happen to all 32 teams. Put the Patriots in that situation. The Packers. Broncos. Do they get sliced up like boiling butter on a hot day?

But us? As soon as we turn to depth our goose is cooked because they aren't quality players, and the coaches can't get enough out of them to make it work. 

If they have the amount of key players at same positions you bet it happens

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

No team could survive with that many players injured at the same positions.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

No team could survive with that many players injured at the same positions.

1 minute ago, Jay Kirk said:

If they have the amount of key players at same positions you bet it happens

Sure thing, guys. 

We are the first team in NFL history to deal with multiple injuries in the secondary, and that's why it's ok to not be able to stop any kind of run or pass play and collapse in an easily handled late game situation 

Meanwhile, back in the real world....

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Sure thing, guys. 

We are the first team in NFL history to deal with multiple injuries in the secondary, and that's why it's ok to not be able to stop any kind of run or pass play and collapse in an easily handled late game situation 

Having players on the field that were not even on teams a week or two ago and expect them to even be average is not an issue that is even debatable for this team or any other. If you want to overlook those facts there is nothing to debate with you any longer so feel free not to see the whole picture all you care to.

OK...4 pages of mostly whining....( Assumed because I did not want to hear crying.)

If anyone on this board cannot understand we have a sandlot secondary, you should go to your local HS and watch their secondaries play.  Really?  HA!

The other thing, Pagano being fired is the most stupid thing that happens after every loss!!  Damn you guys are great coaches.  This team fought, Luck was 'sick' in his play, Doyle incredible...

Bottom line....37 seconds...Whoever is playing and wherever they are playing....37 seconds should be easy time for NOT letting a TD.  We needed one guy to make a play...one guy did NOT.  I do believe and I have always believed that the prevent defense "PREVENTS a WIN."  

Tired of hearing kids as well as grown mean act like *s over a football game.  We lost.  We knew we might with all of the injuries...Done here.  If you want to argue, you are dumber than I thought!  I have 45 years of football in my blood...and plenty of losses.  :colts::colts::colts::lecture:

10 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Sure thing, guys. 

When are you coming back ?

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

OK...4 pages of mostly whining....( Assumed because I did not want to hear crying.)

If anyone on this board cannot understand we have a sandlot secondary, you should go to your local HS and watch their secondaries play.  Really?  HA!

The other thing, Pagano being fired is the most stupid thing that happens after every loss!!  Damn you guys are great coaches.  This team fought, Luck was 'sick' in his play, Doyle incredible...

Bottom line....37 seconds...Whoever is playing and wherever they are playing....37 seconds should be easy time for NOT letting a TD.  We needed one guy to make a play...one guy did NOT.  I do believe and I have always believed that the prevent defense "PREVENTS a WIN."  

Tired of hearing kids as well as grown mean act like *s over a football game.  We lost.  We new we might with all of the injuries...Done here.  If you want to argue, you are dumber than I thought!  I have 45 years of football in my blood...and plenty of losses.  :colts::colts::colts::lecture:

:rock::lol:

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Having players on the field that were not even on teams a week or two ago and expect them to even be average is not an issue that is even debatable for this team or any other. If you want to overlook those facts there is nothing to debate with you any longer so feel free not to see the whole picture all you care to.

Playing DB is not rocket science. (Emphasis added)

We didn't bring them in and give them assignments they have never seen before. We probably even kept it pretty simple for them, and gave them around 5 zone assignments. If it's too much to ask of a DB to play a simple zone that he's played for YEARS or even more simply going "Stay near that guy and don't let him catch the ball", again, why did we bring them in? We asked nothing of them yesterday that they haven't been instructed to do thousands of times before. 

So yeah, I'm good here. I see the picture. 

Edited by Nadine
excessive font

7 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Playing DB is not rocket science. (Emphasis added

We didn't bring them in and give them assignments they have never seen before. We probably even kept it pretty simple for them, and gave them around 5 zone assignments. If it's too much to ask of a DB to play a simple zone that he's played for YEARS or even more simply going "Stay near that guy and don't let him catch the ball", again, why did we bring them in? We asked nothing of them yesterday that they haven't been instructed to do thousands of times before. 

So yeah, I'm good here. I see the picture. 

My aren't you clever. I guess you overlook that fact these players were brought in. There was a reason they were not on a roster somewhere Mr. Rocket Scientist.

7 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Tired of hearing kids as well as grown mean act like *s over a football game.  We lost.  We new we might with all of the injuries...Done here.  If you want to argue, you are dumber than I thought!  I have 45 years of football in my blood...and plenty of losses.  :colts::colts::colts::lecture:

Well stated bro.  :-))) We let them march down the field into the middle of our territory in like 25 minutes. 

I'm not a huge Pagans supporter or anything, but I'm curious.

Those who want to fire Pagano, who would you replace him with?  And please don't answer with some retired head coach.  Answer with a coach that is either a coordinator now or one that was hired as a head coach elsewhere.

Cause like I said I'm not much of a Pagans fan, but.I didn't see a coach available last year that I would have preferred.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My aren't you clever. I guess you overlook that fact these players were brought in. There was a reason they were not on a roster somewhere Mr. Rocket Scientist.

You don't say?

So then wouldn't that fall on the front office for not already having competent players on the roster for depth?

You know, like I said to begin with?

Your assumption that these guys were fish out of water being asked to play a cover 3 is laughable. 

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

Those who want to fire Pagano, who would you replace him with?  And please don't answer with some retired head coach.  Answer with a coach that is either a coordinator now or one that was hired as a head coach elsewhere.

See that's my problem with this whole, fire him now business... Who the heck could we get after only one game into the season... For those that want to argue about firing him at the end of last year, that's fine and dandy... But now? What would be the point? 

I'm not throwing away a season after one loss. That's a loser mentality. The Colts are better than that. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I love how this Bubbz guy only shows up on the forum once in a blue moon and it's always to incite negativity.   Not feeling you today Bubbz, wont fall for it!!!

There a few of them on here.  Once there is a couple game win streak you won't see them again until  another loss.  The "I Told You So Posse"...:td:

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

See that's my problem with this whole, fire him now business... Who the heck could we get after only one game into the season... For those that want to argue about firing him at the end of last year, that's fine and dandy... But now? What would be the point? 

I'm not throwing away a season after one loss. That's a loser mentality. The Colts are better than that. 

I couldn't agree more...well stated.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I agree firing mid season is dumb.  But even if your position was that we should have fired him last year, who would you have gotten that was better?  Best guy available if you asked me was Hue Jackson.  And I'm not sure he's better then Pagano.

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

I agree firing mid season is dumb.  But even if your position was that we should have fired him last year, who would you have gotten that was better?  Best guy available if you asked me was Hue Jackson.  And I'm not sure he's better then Pagano.

Exactly! I don't see a lot of better options. I know a lot of people want Harbaugh, and that's great. It would be a feel good story of course to bring the comeback kid back to Indy. But I think he's had it with the NFL for awhile, and is enjoying Michigan. Chuck is all we've got at this point. 

To answer the question: No. Not 1 game into his new contract. Now should he have been brought back in the first place? No. Not in my opinion. He however is here and was not nor is not now our biggest problem. Do I think he is cut out to be a HC? No. I think the game moves to fast for him to makes all the necessary HC decisions you are presented with at a moments notice. I also think he has been reluctant to come down hard on players that underperform based on whats expected of them and think he has been reluctant to sit certain players who have underperformed in the past. I think he had tried to be everybody's friend.

Long story short I would take it year by year. When firing a coach you also have to take into consideration who is available to replace the former HC

12 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

You don't say?

So then wouldn't that fall on the front office for not already having competent players on the roster for depth?

You have to be smarter than this.  Let's look at the depth chart:

Starters:

CB1: Vontae Davis - injured, didn't play

CB2: Patrick Robinson - played, what, the first quarter before the concussion?  Then out for the rest of the game

NickelCB: Darius butler - injured, didn't play

Safety: Clayton Geathers - injured, didn't play

Safety: Mike Adams

Three of the five projected starters (assuming Nickel CB is considered a starter position) didn't even suit up, and another one went down early in the game.  That means only 1/5 of the starting secondary saw significant playing time in this game.

Then there's the depth:

Safety: TJ Green - left game injured

Safety: Winston Guy - left game injured

CB: Antonio Cromartie - left game injured but did return

Now the guys that got playing time because of all of the above:

Rashaan Melvin: Signed by the Colts as a free agent on September 7, 2016.  Has not been with the team for a full week yet.

Mathias Farley: Claimed by the Colts off waivers (Arizona) on September 4, 2016.  Yesterday marked his 1 week anniversary being with the team.

Darryl Morris: Signed by the Colts as a free agent on September 5, 2016.  Today marks his 1 week anniversary with the team.

Can the coaches not coach players up?  Well, probably not in less than a week, no.

So then wouldn't that fall on the front office for not already having competent players on the roster for depth? They DID have competent players...they're hurt. 

Good lord man get a clue.  I get some people are upset but if you're going to b*tch and whine then at least have a valid point. 

11 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Cause like I said I'm not much of a Pagans fan, but.I didn't see a coach available last year that I would have preferred.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Most people know that it won't happen in season. (Unless we go 0-7 or 0-8. All bets are off in that case, and even then it would be a promotion from within until the end of the season before the real search began, because that's how it works.)

Jim Harbaugh is still at the top of the options list. Luck and Harbaugh had a ton of success together once already. And before anyone comes in with the obligatory "But the 49ers..." can just hold it there. Look at the 49ers and tell me Harbaugh was the problem and not Trent Baalke. I dare you. Harbaugh turned that team around on a dime, and a lot of their good players left when he did. Coincidence? 

Matt Patricia is going to land a job sooner than later. He's learned from the best, and his unit is solid as they come. Can he handle the top seat? Remains to be seen, but the odds are definitely in his favor. 

I'm gonna throw a scary name in there: Wade Phillips. He knows how to wring the most out of a defense. His time in Dallas wasn't the best, but he's come a long way since then. Certainly being in Denver under Kubiak has been beneficial to him. Romeo Crennell is another name to put in that category, though he is less likely. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

Jim Harbaugh is still at the top of the options list. Luck and Harbaugh had a ton of success together once already. And before anyone comes in with the obligatory "But the 49ers..." can just hold it there. Look at the 49ers and tell me Harbaugh was the problem and not Trent Baalke. I dare you. Harbaugh turned that team around on a dime, and a lot of their good players left when he did. Coincidence? 

See, I would also love for Jim to come home to Indiana. He has that fire and energy that I love to see. But I think he is put off by the NFL because of the ineptness of the 49ers. It could be a while before (or if ever) he decides to return to professional football...

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Starters:

CB2: Patrick Robinson - played, what, the first quarter before the concussion?  Then out for the rest of the game

Three of the five projected starters (assuming Nickel CB is considered a starter position) didn't even suit up, and another one went down early in the game.  That means only 1/5 of the starting secondary saw significant playing time in this game.

Then there's the depth:

Rashaan Melvin: Signed by the Colts as a free agent on September 7, 2016.  Has not been with the team for a full week yet.

Mathias Farley: Claimed by the Colts off waivers (Arizona) on September 4, 2016.  Yesterday marked his 1 week anniversary being with the team.

Darryl Morris: Signed by the Colts as a free agent on September 5, 2016.  Today marks his 1 week anniversary with the team.

Can the coaches not coach players up?  Well, probably not in less than a week, no.

So then wouldn't that fall on the front office for not already having competent players on the roster for depth? They DID have competent players...they're hurt. 

Good lord man get a clue.  I get some people are upset but if you're going to b*tch and whine then at least have a valid point. 

So because they are new here they are exempt from being able to play a basic coverage they have played from the peewee age?

Tenure has nothing to do with playing a basic coverage that they have played in peewee, high school, college, and NFL. 

These guys aren't learning routes. They aren't learning passing progressions. They aren't learning complex blitzes. They aren't learning anything. They were asked to do the same exact % they've been asked to do at every other level. It was not the first time they were asked to cover a deep 3rd. 

But because the guy in front of them got hurt they are off the hook for blowing it?

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Starters:

Then there's the depth:

Melvin actually played pretty decent anyway. He held his own. I like his potential going forward