Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

should pagano be fired

Bubbz

No

It is only 1 game and the adjustments were better offensively in the 2nd half.

Secondary is a total mess with injuries and new people with very limited work in the system.  

Would like to see better starts to games however.

Just a tough lose but encouraging with Luck, Oline and the receivers.  Dorsett played lights out too.

We will be fine soon enough.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SilentHill said:

I didn't expect them to surrender all of those points to a crappy Lions team.

The Lions have a really good quarterback and receivers. We're not facing Trever Simien or Mark Sanchez. Anybody taking the Lions seriously could see this was going to be a shootout or a blowout in favor of the Lions.

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

didn't mean to quote you 2x's. I'm so mad I hit it twice. But anyway. Man look at Denver a couple years ago. Signing Ware, Talib, and Ward, and drafting Roby put them over the top. Plus they can actually find STAR caliber talent in the latter rounds. Marshall, Trevathan, Barrett (UDFA) Harris Jr. (UDFA) Jackson (Now with the Jags), etc.

Hahaha. I think they took a gamble on some talented guys and it paid off. They definitely have found great talent in later rounds too, but so have we. Our problem was that some of the most talented guys we had (Newsome & Rogers) couldn't stay out of trouble. I contribute a lot of that to Pagano's inability to discipline players in past years, due to Grigs.

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

The Lions have a really good quarterback and receivers. We're not facing Trever Simien or Mark Sanchez. Anybody taking the Lions seriously could see this was going to be a shootout.

I'm not sure that perennial #2 WR Golden Tate (Even when he was with Seattle) and a motley crew of #3 caliber or less qualify as "Really good" receivers. Stafford is good, but he's not that good. If our defense had any bite to it this would have been a 45-7 blowout.

8 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I'm not sure that perennial #2 WR Golden Tate (Even when he was with Seattle) and a motley crew of #3 caliber or less qualify as "Really good" receivers. Stafford is good, but he's not that good. If our defense had any bite to it this would have been a 45-7 blowout.

Not really. Even with Vontae and the rest of the corners the running backs would still kill us out of the backfield because we have no cover linebackers. And Marvin Jones is not a 3. 

Just now, Bluefire4 said:

Not really. Even with Vontae and the rest of the corners the running backs would still kill us out of the backfield because we have no cover linebackers. And Marvin Jones is not a 3. 

Marvin Jones is a basement 2 at best, can't argue with the LB's covering a RB though. I hope Pagano makes the entire defense do tacking drills 4 hours a day for all of next week.

17 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

The Lions have a really good quarterback and receivers. We're not facing Trever Simien or Mark Sanchez. Anybody taking the Lions seriously could see this was going to be a shootout or a blowout in favor of the Lions.

the colts were favored

8 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

I hope Pagano makes the entire defense do tacking drills 4 hours a day for all of next week.

We wish. The CBA of 2011 makes this impossible.  Only 1 padded practice a week now, until after week 11, then only 3 more padded practices in the last 6 weeks.    There you go.

Was this a concern of coaches once it was signed?  Yes.  Here's something {article} I pulled up after the 2011 CBA was signed going into 2012-

"Tackling could suffer. Defensive coaches are worried about the prospect of shoddy tackling without full-speed contact drills on a consistent basis. Although defenders have spent years crafting their skills, the frenetic pace of the game requires players to work on proper angles and tackling fundamentals regularly. Granted, some defenses have been able to flourish without banging daily, but it's hard to replicate the tempo, aggressiveness and angle discipline needed without contact. "

After a few years, I believe their concerns were proven correct for the most part.

I just watched a replay of the Lions final drive.

On first down, they start out on their own 25 yard line.

Stafford gets pressured, but easily avoids a terrible attempt by 90 Kendall Langford...

Then, I couldn't believe my eyes, Theo Riddick runs through the line, uncovered,  into a huge area of open field.

and catches the pass from Stafford. Riddick then runs for like another 20 yards.

It's simply inexcusable that the Colts were unprepared for the pass to the RB. Since this was the first play of the series and the defense had a timeout after the kickoff to come up with the proper scheme.

All throughout the game, we had no answer for the Lions passing the ball to the RB.

You would think Pagano, or one of our defensive coaches would have assigned a defensive player to cover Riddick.

It's instances like this, of inept coaching, that warrants these discussions of Pagano's firing.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

I just watched a replay the Lions final drive.

On first down, they start out on their own 25 yard line.

Stafford gets pressured, but easily avoids a terrible attempt by 90 Kendall Langford...

Then, I couldn't believe my eyes, Theo Riddick runs through the line, into a huge area of open field.

and catches the pass from Stafford. Riddick then runs for like another 20 yards.

It's simply unacceptable that the Colts were unprepared for the pass to the RB. Since this was the first play of the series and the defense had a timeout after the kickoff to come up with the proper scheme.

All throughout the game, we had no answer for the Lions passing the ball to the RB.

You would think Pagano, or one of our defensive coaches would have assigned a defensive player to cover Riddick.

It's instances like this, of inept coaching, that warrants these discussions of Pagano's firing.

Yeah they kept passing to Abdula on the strong side and getting big yards. You would have thought someone would have fixed that. So I agree!

1 minute ago, corgi said:

Yes, and every coach hired after Pagano should be fired if they lose a game as well. This team should be undefeated forever, any loss is unacceptable.

This game was lost by whoever called the timeout with 1:15 on the clock. Take a timeout if your want to discuss you next move(s) but let the clock run down so you don't leave time for Lions. That call was something a pee wee coach would have done. I would sure like to know who called the timeout. Was it Chuck or Luck?

1 hour ago, IndySouthsider said:

I would love to see the guy on the field before Inget worked up. Cromartie needs released. Now.

Yeah Cromartie was terrible. In regards to the original post, let's see how the season plays out first. If the same old problems keep plaguing this team (slow starts, poor pass defense, inability to protect Luck or run the ball), then both Pagano and Grigs need to go at year's end. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

He just got a new 4-year contract.      He won't be fired for a while.

As for your confusion........    well, it's been that way since you joined the website.

But if they really stink, like 3-13 or something...

Don't you think Irsay might have to fire him?

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

But if they really stink, like 3-13 or something...

Don't you think Irsay might have to fire him?

No.

Most of our problems are personnel related.

As Chuck noted in the post-game,  Green went out with a knee and Robinson went out with a concussion.   We were playing with 6 DB's and 2/3 of them are brand new off the street.       Stuff happens in those kinds of situations.

Sadly the truth is neither Pagano or Grigson should have been brought back. I think many are in denial over this. There is not much we can do about it though but grin and bear it and hope it works out eventually and this season still is OK and we somehow make the playoffs.

But, if we lose next week in Denver........0-2 again is going to look really pretty freaking bad. And something tells me the Texans will linger around all year.

As many injuries or issues we had today, losing to the Lions at home to start the year is pretty freaking embarrassing like this. Even with injuries the old Dungy/Manning teams would have made sure this was a win to start the year at home.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.

Most of our problems are personnel related.

As Chuck noted in the post-game,  Green went out with a knee and Robinson went out with a concussion.   We were playing with 6 DB's and 2/3 of them are brand new off the street.       Stuff happens in those kinds of situations.

You may be right. But there will be so much pressure if the Colts stink again.

I think Pagano's a goner and Irsay eats the 4 year contract.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

You may be right. But there will be so much pressure if the Colts stink again.

I think Pagano's a goner and Irsay eats the 4 year contract.

Maybe......     no way to know....     Irsay is a funny guy.....    completely unpredictable.

Right now our biggest problems are with injuries.

We need Henry Anderson, Art Jones,  Clinton Geaters and Vonte Davis just to be average on defense.   

Our defense was dreadful today.....     not a Pagano issue....   a lack of talent issue....

56 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

Marvin Jones is a basement 2 at best, can't argue with the LB's covering a RB though. I hope Pagano makes the entire defense do tacking drills 4 hours a day for all of next week.

He's just gonna pat them on the back and say "we'll get em next week let's chop some wood!"

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe......     no way to know....     Irsay is a funny guy.....    completely unpredictable.

We need Henry Anderson, Art Jones,  Clinton Geaters and Vonte Davis just to be average on defense.   

Our defense was dreadful today.....     not a Pagano issue....   a lack of talent issue....

Our LBs are also a problem. But they are mainly all healthy. So thats a big concern.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree we lack talent. But Pagano and his staff are only making the problem worse.

Did pagano sign Trent Cole, Todd Herremans, Antonio Cromrtie, Art Jones, Andre Johnson, LaRon Landry? Did Pagano trade for Trent Richardson or Sio Moore? No. You can have the best architect in the world, but if you only let him build with Popsicle sticks and paste you're probably not going to get the Empire State building.

2 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

Did pagano sign Trent Cole, Todd Herremans, Antonio Cromrtie, Art Jones, Andre Johnson, LaRon Landry? Did Pagano trade for Trent Richardson or Sio Moore? No. You can have the best architect in the world, but if you only let him build with Popsicle sticks and paste you're probably not going to get the Empire State building.

No fire Grigson too but Pagano blows at clock management and the team is never ready to play 

2 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

I am sure Pagano is also involved with personnel decisions. At least to some degree.

Art Jones is a Pagano guy.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I am sure Pagano is also involved with personnel decisions. At least to some degree.

Art Jones is a Pagano guy.

Maybe, but Grigson had final say on that decision. We know for sure that Trent Cole and Todd Herremans was a Grigson guy, and signing those guys was about as effective as lighting cash on fire.

8 minutes ago, Pagano's Realtor said:

Maybe, but Grigson had final say on that decision. We know for sure that Trent Cole and Todd Herremans was a Grigson guy, and signing those guys was about as effective as lighting cash on fire.

Look. I don't like a lot of the moves Grigson has made either. Who does??

I'm not saying it's all Pagano's fault by any means. But he does seem to make a lot of bone headed decisions from week to week, season to season. Bottom line. Chuck Pagano is the head coach. And he has to be held accountable as this team always under achieves.

Chuck NEVER should've been retained in the first place nor Grigson either. I don't understand the love affair with Chuck as hc. Nice guy, players love him, beat cancer ok I get that NOW back to Chuck as the hc.... This is not about 1 game or the preseason but about the SAME problems that KEEP HAPPENING over and over. Make NO mistake about it the Colts have been slowly REGRESSING instead of getting better. I say again if you take away Bruce's nine wins along with the luxury of having Luck start off 14-0 against the PITIFUL afc south (one of the worst divisions % wise the last few years in nfl history) Chuck would be a below .500 coach but this IS the year he will be EXPOSED because even the cakewalk formerly known as the afc south is OVER!!

Last year Luck was hurt and that was the ready made excuse. Overall game planning, time management, CONTINUED slow starts, not playing to your team's STRENGTH or questionable to outright poor challenges to name a few has NOTHING to do with Grigson. I don't call putting the ball in Luck's and the receiver's hands out of necessity after you start TRAILING by 17 or 20 pts an adjustment by Chuck. Funny how the running game opened up AFTER Luck started shredding the Lions defense through the air. Spotted runs kept the Lions defense off balance. START THE GAME THAT WAY!!! Use the pass to set up the run! As far as Grigs is concerned this team LACKS playmakers, is WEAK in MANY areas talent wise and has had TOO many busts in FA. I hope this brittle team can hold up a few games or they'll be pulling bodies from Walmart!

Both Chuck as hc and Grigson as gm were BOTH first timers at their current positions when hired. Pep WAS a 1st time nfl oc before he was fired and NOW Monachino is a 1st time dc. ALL seem to be in over their heads. Injuries aside that defense looked all time Colt bad because of the guys out only Vonte is big time. Maybe after ANOTHER bad season Irsay will wake up out of his fog  and clean house BEFORE Luck's prime years will be over under this inept twosome. Even Howie Long wondered out loud are the Colts doing enough around Andrew. In the past under Chuck ONLY the big boy teams showed them they were on the JV level and now the bottom feeders will do the same!!!