Thoughts After Bengals-Colts Preseason Game #4

JPFolks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, twfish said:

I really appreciate you doing these but this is probably really not your forte.

I don't mean this as an insult maybe some constructive criticism.

I don't think constructive criticism is your forte.

Maybe sit back a rewatch the game and make better judgement before making the thread. I for one will go back and watch the game 2-3 times watching some individual plays 3-5 times depending on what happened, sure it's very time consuming but it helps you see things you initially missed.

This method would probably served you well if applying it to posting comments.  I for one will re read my replies 2 to 3 times before i hit the submit button., sure it is time consuming but it helps you see things you initially wish you could take back.

:-) 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I can't believe I actually saw a play where Swoope dished out some pain!   Not that it was earth shaking, but they threw him the ball on a play action pass in the flats.  He caught the ball, turned around and had two defenders coming at him.  He lowered his pad level and made contact.  One of the guys was laying on the ground hurt.   That's what I like to see Swoope!  He didn't run high and let them blow him up.  He met the contact and ran through it. 

I got so sick of watching  Fleener go down upon first contact, he seemed to go down like a sack of potatoes every time! And his blocking.....barf. Thats what I like about Swoope, he seems to make you work for that tackle and you're going to remember it! 

I feel like we have a nice set of rookie WRs. I liked what I saw from Smith and Rogers a lot during this preseason. Hopefully we can find a way to keep one or both and throw them in the game. I think they are raw but are very focused in what they do which I love. Defensively, nobody stood out. This is usually the norm with Colts preseason football though. The only person I like is TY McGill but he was on the team last year so it wasn't a big surprise to see him succeed right now.

20 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Isn't he like our best lineman?

dont know, never seen him play but 2 series in going on 3 years in a meaningful game.  

It may just be me, but I dont believe in retaining players like him who are injury prone year after year based on performance that is over 3 years old. and from what I saw last night againt benchwarmers, he should have shredded them..... he didn't.  Henry Anderson, David Parry, McGill and Langford are all better than Jones.  Combine the fact that he misses 4 games due to PED use, yeah cut him. whether thats now or in 5 weeks, I dont care, but he needs to pack his bags.

36 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I think everyone can agree that quite a few players played well last night and will put a lot of pressure on the organization in deciding between them (Chester Rogers and Tevaun Smith; Stephen Morris and Scott Tolzien; TY McGill, Zach Kerr, and Hassan Ridgeway)

There should be no deciding between McGill, Kerr, and Ridgeway. They should all make the cut. Art Jones should be cut before any of them.

4 hours ago, krunk said:

I can't believe I actually saw a play where Swoope dished out some pain!   Not that it was earth shaking, but they threw him the ball on a play action pass in the flats.  He caught the ball, turned around and had two defenders coming at him.  He lowered his pad level and made contact.  One of the guys was laying on the ground hurt.   That's what I like to see Swoope!  He didn't run high and let them blow him up.  He met the contact and ran through it. 

That stood out to me as well. He ran with a lower pad level and was delivering hits rather than receiving them. Big improvement over the previous games. I still don't think he's better than Coffman currently but I think he's got #3 locked up due to his age and potential.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

Saw the highlight of Tevaun Smith catching a bubble screen and taking it to the house. He and Rogers are impressive.

I'm glad to see your post man I wasn't sure if I was watching the same game as the OP. Swoope looked encouraging. I agree about Ridley but I am letting him go iff it means we keep Smith and Rogers. I really think the move is letting Chester return punts Todman kick offs parting with Quan. I like Bray but Chester has the look and despite the OP not seeing even a 5th WR Smith's ceiling is too high to cut IMO. That kid was a gift 

I am happy we got out without anymore injuries. The are some interesting decisions to be made RB WR LB and the back end. I'm sure Grig's has a move or 2 in store too. We are banged up right now but we have not had a season ending injury not sure that last time that's happened. That's a good sign

5 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I'm glad to see your post man I wasn't sure if I was watching the same game as the OP. Swoope looked encouraging. I agree about Ridley but I am letting him go iff it means we keep Smith and Rogers. I really think the move is letting Chester return punts Todman kick offs parting with Quan. I like Bray but Chester has the look and despite the OP not seeing even a 5th WR Smith's ceiling is too high to cut IMO. That kid was a gift 

I am happy we got out without anymore injuries. The are some interesting decisions to be made RB WR LB and the back end. I'm sure Grig's has a move or 2 in store too. We are banged up right now but we have not had a season ending injury not sure that last time that's happened. That's a good sign

Hopefully we can keep Smith and Rogers, while also keeping Ridley.  Ridley looked like his old self out there to me movement wise.  He's a 100 percent healthy.  I just think it's unrealistic to expect much from him stat wise for that Bengal game.  He's just getting pulled directly off the streets and not knowing our playbook and no continuity with the offensive line.  No training camp with the Colts and none of that.  I'd drop Ferguson in a heartbeat for Ridley.

6 minutes ago, akcolt said:

They'll probably put Mckay on the PS, but I think he could be a deadly red zone target for Andrew along with the deep ball.  I just love all that size and he's made plays the last two games.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Hopefully we can keep Smith and Rogers, while also keeping Ridley.  Ridley looked like his old self out there to me movement wise.  He's a 100 percent healthy.  I just think it's unrealistic to expect much from him stat wise getting pulled directly off the streets and not knowing our playbook and no continuity with the offensive line.  No training camp with the Colts and none of that.  I'd drop Ferguson in a heartbeat for Ridley.

Ferguson has good hands. That's it. He's not making it or, at least, he shouldn't.

Just now, ColtsLegacy said:

Ferguson has good hands. That's it. He's not making it or, at least, he shouldn't.

At this point the kid is more of a receiver than anything else.  The speed of the NFL he has not adapted to in the running game.  Plus he's still getting use to traditional running plays.  Everything he did in college was out of the shotgun running wise.  I didn't see much of anything as far as evidence for why they considered using a draft pick on him.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I feel like we have a nice set of rookie WRs. I liked what I saw from Smith and Rogers a lot during this preseason. Hopefully we can find a way to keep one or both and throw them in the game. I think they are raw but are very focused in what they do which I love. Defensively, nobody stood out. This is usually the norm with Colts preseason football though. The only person I like is TY McGill but he was on the team last year so it wasn't a big surprise to see him succeed right now.

I agree with you on Rogers and Tavon Smith.  It would be nice if they keep both. I also thought McGill looked good on D. Additionally, I liked what I saw from T.J. Green at safety and Antonio Morrison at linebacker.  

Other thoughts...Todman should be the 3rd running back behind Gore and Turbin. He made some plays on offense and is a plus on special teams.  He outplayed Ferguson and Ridley did little to impress last night.  Also Stephen Morris outplayed Tolzien but I think the Colts will still cut him and some other team will scoop him up.  I'd love to stash him away on practice squad.  Colts will stick with Tolzien because he is more experienced but Morris has more pizazz.     

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I agree with you on Rogers and Tavon Smith.  It would be nice if they keep both. I also thought McGill looked good on D. Additionally, I liked what I saw from T.J. Green at safety and Antonio Morrison at linebacker.  

Other thoughts...Todman should be the 3rd running back behind Gore and Turbin. He made some plays on offense and is a plus on special teams.  He outplayed Ferguson and Ridley did little to impress last night.  Also Stephen Morris outplayed Tolzien but I think the Colts will still cut him and some other team will scoop him up.  I'd love to stash him away on practice squad.  Colts will stick with Tolzien because he is more experienced but Morris has more pizazz.     

Morris did more for sure but I think you are right Tolzien gets the job. I would be patient with Ridley I thought he looked healthy too. What did you expect we just signed him health was about all you could evaluate. If he's back to his old self he's RB2 easy. The fumbling started in NE I think lil bill got in his head

Totally unrelated since he was already cut Rose was a big disappointment. I liked him Milton White McClure coming in. I thought we might get lucky and find a player in that mix. Morrison has been better than I thought I would still trade him in for Hall or Robinson. Either of those CB's I really wanted Grig's to get the dice out on Robinson. I'll be watching him in SF Hall has looked good for Chicago. 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah Swoop is a keeper. He might even be starting some this season with Allen's injury history. 

25 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Todman will be cut sorry. They will keep Ridley. 

2 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

I think everyone can agree that quite a few players played well last night and will put a lot of pressure on the organization in deciding between them (Chester Rogers and Tevaun Smith; Stephen Morris and Scott Tolzien; TY McGill, Zach Kerr, and Hassan Ridgeway)

Yeah but even if they make it there still up for being cut. Because of the waver wire. 

26 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Morris did more for sure but I think you are right Tolzien gets the job. I would be patient with Ridley I thought he looked healthy too. What did you expect we just signed him health was about all you could evaluate. If he's back to his old self he's RB2 easy. The fumbling started in NE I think lil bill got in his head

Totally unrelated since he was already cut Rose was a big disappointment. I liked him Milton White McClure coming in. I thought we might get lucky and find a player in that mix. Morrison has been better than I thought I would still trade him in for Hall or Robinson. Either of those CB's I really wanted Grig's to get the dice out on Robinson. I'll be watching him in SF Hall has looked good for Chicago. 

Yeah tough to really evaluate Ridley based on last night but he didn't look too impressive last year with the Lions either.  Todman got in the endzone twice this preseason...once on a screen pass against the Bills and the other on special teams against the Eagles on a blocked punt recovery.  He was pretty solid in the limited action he got.    I expect Colts will go with Ridley but I personally am pulling for Todman. 

This game(and other preseason games) have told me a few things.

#1:  I'm ok with our QB situation..right down the line.

#2: We have talent at RB, Just not star power.  Toddman was my favorite this preseason.

#3:  Rodgers is #4...

#3.5 Swoope is #3...

#4: We need a better RT.  I think A.C. will be ok for the season.  Good was the most impressive lineman all preseason to me.

#5: We have D-line depth...Just hope Anderson and Langford can suit up soon. (@100% ofc)

#6: our MLB's are deep....

#7:  Pray Mathis doesn't get a ding.....(but we have yound PR's that could shape out..but not soon)

#8:  Our Cb's need to drink milk more often...lol

#9: I have faith in the Saftey position...I think were set there for a while.

#10:  ST's are good, we have a lot of good gunners, options for returners, and our kickers are the staple of the NFL.

I am actually very optomistic for our season this year.   If we can just get our injured guys back, and figure out WHY they getting hurt so much and fix it, We are going to have a good year.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I noticed we had Art Jones out there playing.  I wonder if they were just getting him some playing time since he'll be suspended 4 games or are they thinking about cutting him?

Probably the former, Little to be gained from cutting him at this point. Might as well roll with him this final season to see if we can get anything out of him in his final year.

18 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

This game(and other preseason games) have told me a few things.

#1:  I'm ok with our QB situation..right down the line.

#2: We have talent at RB, Just not star power.  Toddman was my favorite this preseason.

#3:  Rodgers is #4...

#3.5 Swoope is #3...

#4: We need a better RT.  I think A.C. will be ok for the season.  Good was the most impressive lineman all preseason to me.

#5: We have D-line depth...Just hope Anderson and Langford can suit up soon. (@100% ofc)

#6: our MLB's are deep....

#7:  Pray Mathis doesn't get a ding.....(but we have yound PR's that could shape out..but not soon)

#8:  Our Cb's need to drink milk more often...lol

#9: I have faith in the Saftey position...I think were set there for a while.

#10:  ST's are good, we have a lot of good gunners, options for returners, and our kickers are the staple of the NFL.

I am actually very optomistic for our season this year.   If we can just get our injured guys back, and figure out WHY they getting hurt so much and fix it, We are going to have a good year.

Hey be careful, you might anger some of the 'doom & gloom" club...

But seriously, love the optimism! I am with you for sure!

Just watched it on DVR. Several thought since this concludes the pre-season

-Again I see a lot of average/decent on the team. Todman looked good but it's not saying much. I like him better than Turbin though who had a drop and fumble.

-I'd keep Rodgers and Smith. I thought this was Smith's best game. If they have to let Bray go to keep them, that's fine because Bray is just a returner. We need receiver depth more.

-Trying to find positives about the secondary guys we saw is pointless. Our CB depth is bad and there's no way around it.

-Morris has talent but I'd be more comfortable with Tolzien in the event of a Luck injury. 

-Swoope over Coffman. He catches the ball well.

-I think Maggitt is underrated. Should be #2 at SAM behind Walden.

Overall it's the same story. Great WR depth, no running game, and no secondary depth. Offensive line still questionable. It's gonna be a long season.

21 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

I misspoke.

guess the NFL extended it to a possible 3 years and 10 players this offseason. 

Awesome.. maybe I had heard someone talking about perhaps having him on the practice squad because of that... either way, good to hear.  Not really sure why it's not longer.