Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TJ Green: Scouting Proile

Dustin

I did a bunch of these last year (like 40) and I didn't get as many as I wanted done this years (I think I may have only done 4 or 5), but I figured I'd do them for the players we drafted this year.

green-tj-01.jpg

Games Watched: vs. Alabama, vs. Louisville

MockDraftable Athletic Profilehttp://www.mockdraftable.com/player/8062/position/23/

Positives

World class speed. Probably the fastest safety currently in the NFL. Speed is evident when you watch him. Not just workout fast. Fluid athlete all-around.

Good size/length. Comes in at 6'2" 210 lbs 

Aggressives coming down-hill and attacking the ball-carrier. No fear or hesitation against bigger backs or receivers. 

High-motor. Always looking to get in on the play. 

A ton of confidence in his own ability. 

Unlimited upside. Will be 21 when the season starts and only has 2 years of safety under his belt. 

Negatives: 

Watching the game videos, it's pretty apparent that Clemson's coaching staff had absolutely 0% confidence in him in coverage. His role ranged from either playing in the box as a nickel-lb or playing nearly 25-30 yards off the line of scrimmage as a last line of defense.

Very few man-coverage snaps. Which goes with the outlined point above. 

Not good at anticipating where the ball will be.

Inconsistent tackling. Can wrap up and drive players to the ground or dive at their feet and completely whiff. Had 19 missed tackles last season. 

Doesn't locate the ball in the air if it's not in front of him.

Too many false-steps. Trusts in his ability, but not in his decision making. 

GIFs: 

The website isn't allowing me to make GIFs for some reason so 'ill give you the time and game so you can see what I am talking about.

(Alabama: 4:48) Total lack of awareness allows the TE to score a long TD.

(Alabama 6:19) Doesn't get his hands up or look back for the ball despite the WR telegraphing the ball coming to him. 

(Alabama 7:32) I don't know who's at fault on this particular TD, but judging from the rest of the players, It looks to be on Green not knowing his assignment.

(Alabama 7:55) Comes across basically the entire field on a kickoff return to almost catch the returner.

(Louisville :18) Has a direct shot at the RB and whiffs after diving for his legs. 

(Louisville 2:32) Did he lose the ball in the air? I have no idea how the WRs pulls away from him so much. 

(Louisville 4:56) Takes a horrible angle to the ball-carrier and doesn't make a tackle. Had he taken a better angle or reacted faster he probably could have decapitated that TE. 

Conclusion:

Green is a high upside player with a ton of natural ability and what looks like a willingness to reach it. Unfortunately at this time it looks like he's much closer to his floor than he is to his ceiling. Green shows basically no awareness in coverage and just looks like a very fast guy in a football uniform. When you learn that he's a former WR, it makes sense, because he plays the position like a WR would. There's a difference between just being bad in coverage and not being able to actually play in coverage, and at this point Green is the latter; which isn't necessarily the worse of the 2 choices because Green may not look like he knows what he's doing because he actually doesn't know what he is supposed to be doing: he has only 1 year of starting on defense, it may just be a case of learning the position. I'm glad that the Colts are going to be keeping him at safety, because I feared for the defense if he was ever forced to play cornerback. That would have made Cassius Vaughn look like Darrell Revis. Green will likely start off on special teams coverage and maybe log between 150-200 snaps on defense. I don't see him starting over Geathers any time soon, so he'll most likely take over for Mike Adams next season. Hopefully he can play in coverage by then.  

Athleticism: (9/10)

Coverage Ability (1/10)

Run Game\Tackling (5/10)

Physicality (6/10)

Technical (2/10)

NFL Comp: Laron Landry

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most all of that.  What I really like about him is it's obvious he's willing to get dirty.  A lot of guys that are uber athletic and convert from O to D are hesitant and play soft.  You don't see that at all with Green.  He needs to learn how to tackle better technique-wise, but it's not for lack of effort.

His awareness and processing terrifies me.  That's already something that some players just can't grasp at the NFL level, let alone one who does it out of inexperience.  Of course, that doesn't mean he can't get it, it's just an uphill struggle.  The ability is there, no doubt.  It's definitely good that we already have an option in Adams to alleviate the pressure on Green to "get it" right now.  I see him more as a deep safety than I do as an up in the box safety.  If he's going to play up more often then not, he needs to add a little bit of weight to his frame, IMO.

This is why I'm bothered by this pick.  

This is basically a project player and we picked him in the 2nd round because he's athletic.  This is a huge risk, you don't normally spend 2nd round picks on project players. 

He's big and he's fast.  Now if he can learn to play safety, learn how to cover and how to tackle, then yes he has a very high ceiling.   But who's to say he can even learn those things?

A lot of times playing defense is about instincts too, and who's to say he has those instincts?

Both Grigson and Irsay said that Pagano got real nervous about Green being gone because of the trade. So he really must be high on the guy and have a firm believe that he can coach him up. We don't know what he base that believe on, so it is really impossible - for me - to evaluate whether this is a crazy risk or a doable dream. 

23 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

This is basically a project player and we picked him in the 2nd round because he's athletic.  This is a huge risk, you don't normally spend 2nd round picks on project players. 

He's big and he's fast.  Now if he can learn to play safety, learn how to cover and how to tackle, then yes he has a very high ceiling.   But who's to say he can even learn those things?

A lot of times playing defense is about instincts too, and who's to say he has those instincts?

Im guessing the coaching staff feels pretty good about him

26 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

well, i guess now we're gonna find out just how good a DB whisperer Pagano is.

Biggest thing I didn't like with Green was the busted coverages didn't seem like they stemmed from him trying to make plays. They seemed to happen because he didn't understand what his responsibility was against certain formation.  I still don't think as it stands right now he's a real sound tackler, but he'll stick his nose in there I suppose.  If he can make some strides in both of the above areas he'll be really good.

Sure, he's LaRon Landry, except about 50% of the muscle and about 80% more athletic.  Poor comparison IMHO unless you are just talking about his coverage skills, then maybe I would agree.

Quick!  Raise your hand if you have ever coached at the NFL level!  The thing is if Pags wanted him he must know something we don't.  Perhaps the reason he looked so befuddled out there was because he WAS.  Little experience and maybe he wasn't coached up well?  IDK but if Pags wanted him that bad I think we should pay attention.  Pags is pretty much a defensive guy and has coached one of the best safeties in the game in Ed Reed so perhaps he sees a little bit of raw talent in that ilk?  Again, IDK, but if Pags wanted to jump on him I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and at least see before we rip this pick.

34 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Sure, he's LaRon Landry, except about 50% of the muscle and about 80% more athletic.  Poor comparison IMHO unless you are just talking about his coverage skills, then maybe I would agree.

Quick!  Raise your hand if you have ever coached at the NFL level!  The thing is if Pags wanted him he must know something we don't.  Perhaps the reason he looked so befuddled out there was because he WAS.  Little experience and maybe he wasn't coached up well?  IDK but if Pags wanted him that bad I think we should pay attention.  Pags is pretty much a defensive guy and has coached one of the best safeties in the game in Ed Reed so perhaps he sees a little bit of raw talent in that ilk?  Again, IDK, but if Pags wanted to jump on him I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt and at least see before we rip this pick.

Landry ran a 4.35. If anything Landry was the more athletic of the two.

1 hour ago, Mr Clueless said:

Both Grigson and Irsay said that Pagano got real nervous about Green being gone because of the trade. So he really must be high on the guy and have a firm believe that he can coach him up. We don't know what he base that believe on, so it is really impossible - for me - to evaluate whether this is a crazy risk or a doable dream. 

Maybe Grigson traded down in hopes someone else would draft him instead of having to appease Pagano wanting another "firecracker" or "spark plug" haha. It didn't work. :lol:

Honest question: What makes TJ Green different from Taylor Mays? Mays was incredibly fast, and 6'3" and had all of the physical tools that you would look for, he just didn't have the understanding of the game.

Draft Profile: NFL.com

Mays has an outstanding combination of size, strength and athleticism for the safety position. He possesses excellent speed, quickness and burst for his size, which makes him a versatile player who could fit in several different schemes. He has good instincts to attack the alley as a run defender and can make plays in the passing game as a deep safety. He tends to be too aggressive with the ball in the air, trying to make the big hit instead of making a play on the ball. He can be inconsistent with his angles and technique but relies on his great athleticism to recover and make the play. Mays will be highly coveted in this year's draft if concerns about his overall mental makeup are answered.

Is TJ Green a better prospect? I'm worried because the NFL is littered with guys with size, speed, and incredible athleticism, and all they have to do is learn to play -- which is much easier said than done.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Landry is not a better pure athlete than TJ Green.

Green ran a 4.34, and straight away speed is not the best metric for athleticism.

Green beat Landry by 6 inches on the long-jump and is just 1-2 inches less of vertical jump.

Landry was a PED-abuser who was large and fast, but not very athletic in terms of fluidity, agility, and didn't play smart very much at all. Landry was a meat-head, and though he might have been stronger in a weight room, he was by no means a better pure athlete than TJ Green.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Honest question: What makes TJ Green different from Taylor Mays? Mays was incredibly fast, and 6'3" and had all of the physical tools that you would look for, he just didn't have the understanding of the game.

Mays has an outstanding combination of size, strength and athleticism for the safety position. He possesses excellent speed, quickness and burst for his size, which makes him a versatile player who could fit in several different schemes. He has good instincts to attack the alley as a run defender and can make plays in the passing game as a deep safety. He tends to be too aggressive with the ball in the air, trying to make the big hit instead of making a play on the ball. He can be inconsistent with his angles and technique but relies on his great athleticism to recover and make the play. Mays will be highly coveted in this year's draft if concerns about his overall mental makeup are answered.

Is TJ Green a better prospect? I'm worried because the NFL is littered with guys with size, speed, and incredible athleticism, and all they have to do is learn to play -- which is much easier said than done.

That's what I was thinking too.

I don't understand why we would get a guy that is garbage in coverage? Dustin rated him a 1 out of 10 in coverage.. and im pretty sure I saw somewhere that he was like rated last of all safeties for covering.. not saying that he isn't a good player or he wont workout be a good for us but why would we pick up a guy that cant cover. we all know what its like having a guy like that. we could have gotten better players in the draft without even trading back.

14 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Landry is not a better pure athlete than TJ Green.

Green ran a 4.34, and straight away speed is not the best metric for athleticism.

Green beat Landry by 6 inches on the long-jump and is just 1-2 inches less of vertical jump.

Landry was a PED-abuser who was large and fast, but not very athletic in terms of fluidity, agility, and didn't play smart very much at all. Landry was a meat-head, and though he might have been stronger in a weight room, he was by no means a better pure athlete than TJ Green.

Well, he was obviously much stronger. He was also just as fast. 

It depends on what variables you consider to deem someone the better athlete. If you value strength over fluidty, then it's Landry. If you value fluidity over strength, than its Green. Also, I think your judging Landry too harshly on his time here. His agility workouts from the combine weren't really that bad, he basically lost all his athletic ability when he decided to dedicate all his time to becoming as large as he possibly could. 

Regardless, we're being overly pedantic here. The point is that Green is not an 80% better athlete than Landry was. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I would disagree wholeheartedly on that.  I'm talking about the Landry WE saw in Indy, not when he was drafted.  The guy I saw looked like a robot out there.  He was stiff because of all that roid muscle he put on.  Green is very fluid and natural looking in his movement.  And he looks faster on the field IMHO.

Just now, AZColt11 said:

I would disagree wholeheartedly on that.  I'm talking about the Landry WE saw in Indy, not when he was drafted.  The guy I saw looked like a robot out there.  He was stiff because of all that roid muscle he put on.  Green is very fluid and natural looking in his movement.  And he looks faster on the field IMHO.

plus he appears to have a willingness to learn and no bad habits since he's still very new and raw at the position. Probably a coaches dream to teach.

14 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Well, he was obviously much stronger. He was also just as fast. 

It depends on what variables you consider to deem someone the better athlete. If you value strength over fluidty, then it's Landry. If you value fluidity over strength, than its Green. Also, I think your judging Landry too harshly on his time here. His agility workouts from the combine weren't really that bad, he basically lost all his athletic ability when he decided to dedicate all his time to becoming as large as he possibly could. 

Regardless, we're being overly pedantic here. The point is that Green is not an 80% better athlete than Landry was. 

People are forgetting how good Landry was before he came to Indy.  If we get that version from Green, we're all happy.  

The prior year:

100 tackles (76 solo)

2 INTs

4 forced fumbles

The problem with Landry was he was too into bodybuilding and not "all in" for football.  I don't blame him, do what makes you happy.  Just saying he declined because he was too big and his heart wasn't in it.  And that's also why he isn't on a roster right now.

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

(Alabama 6:19) Doesn't get his hands up or look back for the ball despite the WR telegraphing the ball coming to him. 

(Alabama 7:32) I don't know who's at fault on this particular TD, but judging from the rest of the players, It looks to be on Green not knowing his assignment.

(Louisville 2:32) Did he lose the ball in the air? I have no idea how the WRs pulls away from him so much. 

There's a difference between just being bad in coverage and not being able to actually play in coverage, and at this point Green is the latter; which isn't necessarily the worse of the 2 choices because Green may not look like he knows what he's doing because he actually doesn't know what he is supposed to be doing: he has only 1 year of starting on defense, it may just be a case of learning the position.

These plays and your comments make it easy to understand why QBs had such a good passer rating when targeting him. He gave up a ton of big plays due to a lack of awareness in coverage.

To the bolded -- and I think it's 7:12, not 7:32, but that's from memory -- I think the assignment was the outside guy, not the inside guy. If you watch the coaches broadcast of the game (you can find it online if you really want to) the coaches were torn on whose assignment it was. But with the final alignment of the receivers, I thought it was on the corner, not on Green. JMO

5 hours ago, Flash said:

No one ever tried to help Mays get comfortable in coverage. They just sent him out there to play the Bam-Bam role and then got frustrated when he was taken advantage of in space.

But really, Mays and Green aren't that similar. I'd compare Mays to Jeremy Cash. 

I think with this draft and the '15 draft with Dorsett and Smith,  we're about to find out just how good the scouts and coaches are at (A) identifying talent and (B) stacking the board.

I must confess that I was more uncomfortable with the staff's view that Green was a 1st round pick,  that Clark was a borderline 1 or high 2,  and that Hoag is a 2nd round pick.       If Hoag was a solid 2 and was taken AFTER Ridgeway and Morrison,  then what are those guys?

As for the 15 draft,  how good IS Phillip Dorsett?     How good is D'joun Smith?

If these guys hit then we're going to be very, very good.    But if these guys miss,   we could soon be at the bottom of the AFC South and Grigson and Pagano could be both be out of jobs in two years.

We are going to find out by the end of the 17 season.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

No one ever tried to help Mays get comfortable in coverage. They just sent him out there to play the Bam-Bam role and then got frustrated when he was taken advantage of in space.

But really, Mays and Green aren't that similar. I'd compare Mays to Jeremy Cash. 

Superman to the the rescue! 

Thanks again, but I do find it hard to believe that knowing that Mays' strength was his ability to fly around and use his big body to punish offensive players and his weakness was coverage, that the teams that have worked with him have not tried to address his weakness. I think Mays, like many other very good/great athletes have a hard time adjusting to playing in the NFL. It's much more sophisticated than they may be used to, and that's where the great players are separated from those who are great athletes.

I'm afraid that my fear with TJ Green is that he may be an athletic freak, but might not have the instincts, and knowledge. 

Please know, this is just my fear. Things could turn out differently, but taking a guy in the 2nd round without much experience in that position has me worried. It appears that he was drafted on his potential rather than his actual play or game tape.

Nice report Dustin!  Obviously our coaches and scouts know more than us. I admit to only watching the Bama game.  Nothing there showed me a 2nd round grade.  

I'd love to know what got Pagano all excited.  I think he's smart enough to just fall for  measurables, or we'd be drafting guys for their ability to jump out of a pool.  

But he's ours now, so I'm behind him 100%.  I just hope he's done being behind the ball carriers as they score, like in the Bama game.  

"You watch the film, you're like, 'OK, he's a former receiver, we're looking at a project here,' " general manager Ryan Grigson said. "But collectively, scouts, [defensive backs coach] Greg Williams, everyone that was part of the process felt like he had a really great upside because on the film you didn't see a player that you really thought lacked instincts or lacked awareness. He puts his face on people. He can really come to balance and be a core special-teamer. That was another thing that got us fired up about him."

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/16669/colts-make-draft-all-about-qb-andrew-luck-by-selecting-four-offensive-linemen

I don't know how they watch some of that tape and conclude that he didn't lack awareness. I'm okay with him for the most part, but hmmmm?

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think with this draft and the '15 draft with Dorsett and Smith,  we're about to find out just how good the scouts and coaches are at (A) identifying talent and (B) stacking the board.

I must confess that I was more uncomfortable with the staff's view that Green was a 1st round pick,  that Clark was a borderline 1 or high 2,  and that Hoag is a 2nd round pick.       If Hoag was a solid 2 and was taken AFTER Ridgeway and Morrison,  then what are those guys?

As for the 15 draft,  how good IS Phillip Dorsett?     How good is D'joun Smith?

If these guys hit then we're going to be very, very good.    But if these guys miss,   we could soon be at the bottom of the AFC South and Grigson and Pagano could be both be out of jobs in two years.

You have a valid point but IMO if none of those guys hit we'll still be fine. I wouldn't worry too much we've got Luck on our side. 

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I thought you were the one raving about how the draft gurus and Mocks had him as a early round pick last night  or yesterday (Speaking of Green)

7 hours ago, Mr Clueless said:

Very doable. Worse players have went way higher than him. With that said better players were available. Regardless I love his massive upside and will be rooting for him every chance he gets to see the field going forward. I expect that he will be the starter when Adams retires or moves on

8 hours ago, Dustin said:

I did a bunch of these last year (like 40) and I didn't get as many as I wanted done this years (I think I may have only done 4 or 5), but I figured I'd do them for the players we drafted this year.

green-tj-01.jpg

Games Watched: vs. Alabama, vs. Louisville

MockDraftable Athletic Profilehttp://www.mockdraftable.com/player/8062/position/23/

Positives

World class speed. Probably the fastest safety currently in the NFL. Speed is evident when you watch him. Not just workout fast. Fluid athlete all-around.

Good size/length. Comes in at 6'2" 210 lbs 

Aggressives coming down-hill and attacking the ball-carrier. No fear or hesitation against bigger backs or receivers. 

High-motor. Always looking to get in on the play. 

A ton of confidence in his own ability. 

Unlimited upside. Will be 21 when the season starts and only has 2 years of safety under his belt. 

Negatives: 

Watching the game videos, it's pretty apparent that Clemson's coaching staff had absolutely 0% confidence in him in coverage. His role ranged from either playing in the box as a nickel-lb or playing nearly 25-30 yards off the line of scrimmage as a last line of defense.

Very few man-coverage snaps. Which goes with the outlined point above. 

Not good at anticipating where the ball will be.

Inconsistent tackling. Can wrap up and drive players to the ground or dive at their feet and completely whiff. Had 19 missed tackles last season. 

Doesn't locate the ball in the air if it's not in front of him.

Too many false-steps. Trusts in his ability, but not in his decision making. 

GIFs: 

The website isn't allowing me to make GIFs for some reason so 'ill give you the time and game so you can see what I am talking about.

(Alabama 7:55) Comes across basically the entire field on a kickoff return to almost catch the returner.

(Louisville :18) Has a direct shot at the RB and whiffs after diving for his legs. 

(Louisville 4:56) Takes a horrible angle to the ball-carrier and doesn't make a tackle. Had he taken a better angle or reacted faster he probably could have decapitated that TE. 

Conclusion:

Green is a high upside player with a ton of natural ability and what looks like a willingness to reach it. Unfortunately at this time it looks like he's much closer to his floor than he is to his ceiling. Green shows basically no awareness in coverage and just looks like a very fast guy in a football uniform. When you learn that he's a former WR, it makes sense, because he plays the position like a WR would. There's a difference between just being bad in coverage and not being able to actually play in coverage, and at this point Green is the latter; which isn't necessarily the worse of the 2 choices because Green may not look like he knows what he's doing because he actually doesn't know what he is supposed to be doing: he has only 1 year of starting on defense, it may just be a case of learning the position. I'm glad that the Colts are going to be keeping him at safety, because I feared for the defense if he was ever forced to play cornerback. That would have made Cassius Vaughn look like Darrell Revis. Green will likely start off on special teams coverage and maybe log between 150-200 snaps on defense. I don't see him starting over Geathers any time soon, so he'll most likely take over for Mike Adams next season. Hopefully he can play in coverage by then.  

Athleticism: (9/10)

Coverage Ability (1/10)

Run Game\Tackling (5/10)

Physicality (6/10)

Technical (2/10)

NFL Comp: Laron Landry

This is a great analysis......Gavin

I don't know if I've ever read one quite so....so vivid.